Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

Deadly Standards 3 - a Episode 3 Community Project with a twist (idgames ready!)

Thanks for the demo, @Andromeda, but shame on me for those Boom-action bugs. That's just my habit of never mapping for CL2 -- I still don't! ;D -- and always mapping in Boom format. Luckily, I was able to repair those errors and so the fix is in! I tested this with PRBoom 2.5.1.7 and Crispy, and it worked like a charm.

Aside from fixing the problems you highlighted, this version gives 2 cell charge packs when and where you need them to deal with the exit Cyb. I removed those packs from the Soulsphere secret and replaced them with a Zerk and a Blue Armor. I also removed the early trigger line for the Cacoswarm at the Big Fight. The idea behind that was to frighten players into racing for the PG. I knew at the time that this meant players could exploit that to deal with the early horde first, especially if they had found the secret BFG, as you did. Watching you defeat the battle systematically was enough for me to take this option away, or at least make it harder to pull off. I think the fight is more fun if the whole army shows up. ;D

Congratulations on developing an excellent and efficient route. Getting the BFG before the PG put you in a powerful position, especially in a borked map with no Cybs to worry about. You were able to efficiently and expeditiously subdue the hordes and effectively max the map. The main question ATM is whether there's enough cells and rockets to expeditiously deal with the Cybs. I believe there is, but players without foreknowledge will probably expend a lot of cells on the hordes and find themselves in a pickle when it's time to battle the siege cows. I guess that's a problem with a map like this. I want to use the hordes as much for psychological effect as anything else, and I want to keep the ammo tight enough to make the player worry, but I want to avoid the scenario where players run out of cells with 2 Cybs left and end up plinking with the single shotty. That's dire. Thus, I suspect this map will need more fine-tuning.

A question I'll ask you is this; did you think there was enough map? That question may be hard to answer if you never did a run against the Cybs. It's a fairly easy map without them, but even with them, it's possible to run past every siege cow and reach the exit, so there's options available.

I ask this because another tester wanted more. He wanted a YK leg, albeit brief, whereas I'm thinking of adding up to 80 monsters on UV for a YK adventure. Then again, I'm focusing most of my energy on Realm of Chaos 2, which means finding time to do a proper YK leg will be difficult. Decisions, right? But what say you, and think only about what is best for this map, as opposed to factoring my time for multiple projects.

13 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

You want E3M8? You've got it! I just hope to don't wait another year for have something to play lol

No, it won't be a year. Don't worry about it.

7 hours ago, Steve D said:

A question I'll ask you is this; did you think there was enough map? That question may be hard to answer if you never did a run against the Cybs. It's a fairly easy map without them, but even with them, it's possible to run past every siege cow and reach the exit, so there's options available.

I ask this because another tester wanted more. He wanted a YK leg, albeit brief, whereas I'm thinking of adding up to 80 monsters on UV for a YK adventure. Then again, I'm focusing most of my energy on Realm of Chaos 2, which means finding time to do a proper YK leg will be difficult. Decisions, right? But what say you, and think only about what is best for this map, as opposed to factoring my time for multiple projects.

Having given the fixed version another go (here's the demo), in my opinion there is enough map - it's short yes, but most importantly it's challenging without being too punishing (hence fun) and has high replay value, so a player wanting more can always play it again and try different strategies (like I show in this demo). Besides, I think it's better to have a short level than a level that outstays its welcome, although I do admit having a yellow key door and an empty optional area had me scratching my head at first (intentional or a placeholder? In any case I approve of it, it's cheeky :P).

Just my two cents, maybe @Walter confetti can chime in as the project leader?

1 hour ago, Andromeda said:

I do admit having a yellow key door and an empty optional area had me scratching my head at first (intentional or a placeholder? In any case I approve of it, it's cheeky :P).

How about this: There is a walkover trigger on the other side of the door that is Close, Wait 30 seconds, and Reopen. Then, there is a switch on the other side of the empty YK area that causes a single imp or a single lost soul to teleport in.

Or would that be more annoying and thus something @Steve D would never do?

@Andromeda Thanks for playing the fixed version! I pretty much agree that we have enough map, but I worked in something for the YK that wasn't very lengthy, based on what @Pegleg suggested, because it's cheeky. Altogether it added only 10 monsters, and no spongey ones.

Watching you manage to once again systematize the big fight means I decided to tweak it once more. I'm running out of options, though, since my army is split between monster closets and teleport closets, and I worry about putting trigger lines too close together, though that would be a concern mostly limited to -cl 2. Also, even with your excellent pathing, I still think more cells are needed for first-time players. You managed to 2-shot that Cyb with a very small amount of cells, it seemed, so thumbs-up for that. But to be so low on cells at the end means I have more work to do. So like you say, I aim to make this "challenging but not too punishing," a breezy bit of carnage with some tricky secrets. I'll get plenty of pelts off this map, though, if I can tweak the Big Fight correctly.

Anyway, I have a new version, but I'm holding off the upload until I detail the YK area a bit.

Still WIP but getting there. I don't plan to use the sky texture here at all but rather a void aesthetics.

The map will have some exploring for goodies & lots of enemies to kill.

There will be more areas than this. Like the final arena with the Mastermind, obviously.

DOOM0003.png.c8d2caca8a897284c65c1b513e97d5ca.png

DOOM0000.png.930ac8c2b476fa58f1968e6b9315bab2.png

DOOM0002.png.bfd27394be33441e8746ab2f4cf1d78d.png

Title: Without Remorse
Description: This was my first time making my own E3M8, so I tried to make it as cool as possible & quite tough for the final level. Really proud of this one.

Build time: One month & six days

New music (if any): Breaking Benjamin - So Cold (MIDI version)

Tested with: Crispy Doom 5.9.1

Difficulty selection: Yes

Additional notes:

- While I did put a lot of zombies, I hope it isn't too hitscanny. There are few power-ups you can find that will help you but you'll have to explore a bit.

- I'm still questioning this but there is a switch that will raise some platforms you can walk over without taking much pain sector damage to the blue key locked teleport & after you pick up the red key but am still not sure if this will be a bit overwhelming. I'll let you guys decide.

- While playtesting, I have noticed some strange 'invisible wall' bullet puffs in two places. Nothing major but odd. Not sure what's causing it. Maybe too much stuff? Large map?

======

Hope you enjoy it & of course, feedback is appreciated. :)

ds3_E3M8 - Without Remorse.zip

Edited by The_SloVinator

Wow, looks really good from the pics!

Adding to the map list, now there's only pegleg map missing...

Just an FYI -- When I made my last post on March 10th, I may have known I was going in for a second surgery on my left foot on March 18th. I'm currently in a rehab facility recovering from that surgery. I'm not sure when I'll be going home. No earlier than April 27th, and possibly longer than that. As I said, this is my second surgery. They sent me home too early after the first, and as a result my wound opened, leading to bone infections, and the second surgery. As a result, my podiatrist wants to play it safe this time.

In any case, once I do get home, all I have to do in my map is detail the new area a bit and send it off for playtesting. The total work will be just a couple hours.

In other news, I'm glad to see that this project is almost done! :)

1 hour ago, Walter confetti said:

Wow, looks really good from the pics!

Adding to the map list, now there's only pegleg map missing...

I have the map drawn and textured and the vast majority of the detailing is finished. At this point, I'm in the process of thing placement, which will be followed by testing. My aim is to have the map finished by the end of month (preferably within the next 10 days) and uploaded here.

"What Stares Back" is a large marble complex floating in the void, with a variety of marble, wood, and brick rooms within its walls. I tried to carry through with a motif of eyes being on you. The map itself is fairly linear, but there are 12 secrets, so exploration will have its own reward.

Here are a few screenshots.

whtstresbck8.png.d53d23ea111d041b75530155bac3691a.pngwhtstresbck7.png.d8579944005ed5e55d953b361b1351f9.pngwhtstresbck4.png.a0e9687d2489cdc1154770d1cabac071.pngwhtstresbck3.png.31a2b0f1eeb5187c487ad19607d62ed5.png

Looks pretty epic! I have the impression that lots of great battles will happen in these wooden hallways....

Played last night The_Slovinator map, is a pretty cool boss map, i've expected more monsters where the cyberdemon lift is, the style is really good (it reminds me of mt. erebus) and the starting room reminded me of Dobu Gabu Maru somehow (maybe the half moon sectors?)...

7 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Played last night The_Slovinator map, is a pretty cool boss map, i've expected more monsters where the cyberdemon lift is, the style is really good (it reminds me of mt. erebus) and the starting room reminded me of Dobu Gabu Maru somehow (maybe the half moon sectors?)...

Thank you! Yes, I love mt. erebus. Open map that lets you explore & lets you go anywhere you want from the start. :)

I think Cyberdemon fight is good enough because if any other enemy would spawn, it would server as a movement obstacle more than a challenge.
The challenge in that room (depends on a player's skill) is there isn't that much room to maneuver & to avoid getting splashed damaged by your own rocket, you gotta make sure the Cyber isn't in the center kind of thing. I also managed to make Spider fight a bit more interesting.

I also played around a bit with a curve tool to see how it works, that's why you would notice some half-moon shaped sectors, as you have mentioned.

@Walter confetti

I have a question. It occurred to me that all of the maps, with the exception of RJD's "Aphotic Crypt" (currently E3M3) and The_Slovinator's "Without Remorse" (E3M8) use Da Werecat's creepy void sky. Assuming you are planning to leave the order of maps like they are (in which case my map would be E3M7), would you want some sort of a transition between the creepy void sky and the black void sky? Right now, I have my map ending when you step on the silver teleporter, but I could easily have that take you to an empty black void realm with a few marble tiles that takes you to another teleporter that is the actual end of the map. It would serve as a segue between the green void sky and the black void that closes the episode. What do you think? If you like the idea, I'll make something. If you'd rather not, then that's fine, too.

Sorry for the absence, but i'm compling this episode with all the map i've got so far (i don't have pegleg map that it's still on WIP and the new version of E3M1 and E3M5 by their authors, if any of you have a new, improved version of the map please let me know) plus new graphics for the ending screen and a new reskin for classic monsters, for now the imp and the baron of hell, tell me if it's good or not:

DOOM0004.png

DOOM0005.png

I have in mind to recolor the former human as well, but i'm not sure.

Also, if you saw the pictures on the WIP thread on this subforum, i'm compling the source wad for Deadly Standards 4 since this episode is near completion...

Once all the maps are compiled, please let me know, so I can playtest this, as promised few years ago.

As for Deadly Standards 4, for now, I'll give it a pass but you never know, maybe I'll join it once it's in mid-development.

@Walter confetti here is the latest version of my map. I have been putting it off uploading it because something makes it extremely, extremely difficult for me to find i music i like to pair it with.

Also, I suddenly couldnt add the midi to the wad with slade so i just included it in the .7z

thanks to francist for the play test.

standard3_nh_g.7z

Hey Walter, sorry I've been dragging my heels on getting my map updated. I was going to do a major visual overhaul, but I've decided to leave the visuals untouched (at least it shows how far I've come in 2 years, heh), and just address the feedback that I got from Roofi and Francis. Hoping to get an update pushed out this weekend.

@Walter confetti

One week later... here we are! This should be the final update for my map: RJD_crypt_final.zip

Thanks to Roofi and Francis for the feedback. The issue that Roofi was running into with the Baron elevator should be fixed. I tweaked a few fights, and opened up the odd sight line but otherwise it's pretty much the same.

Also added a custom midi - Jimmy's "Horde of Locusts" from Scattered Evil. 

Edited by RonnieJamesDiner

On 5/18/2021 at 10:35 AM, Walter confetti said:

i don't have pegleg map that it's still on WIP

Here is the first version of my map.

whtstrsbk_v1.zip

Title: What Stares Back

Map Slot: E3M7

Build time: Many, many hours spread over several months

Music: "The Infinite Sky" by Zach Siegel

Difficulty settings: Implemented

Co-op: Starts only

Deathmatch: Starts only (I don't think this map is terribly good for deathmatch, but the starts are there for completeness)

Tested on: GZDoom 3.2.5, GZDoom 4.1.3, and PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4

Editor used: Eureka v.1.27b

Estimated playtime: At least 30 minutes

Additional comments:

• Eureka built the nodes using the XNOD format (ZDoom uncompressed normal nodes).
  • The ammo is intended to be somewhat tight on UV. If you find the secrets, the ammo will be less tight. The ammo has yet to be fully balanced for the lower difficulties, though.

Known bugs:

• In PrBoom+, for some reason, some of the hanging bodies (only the bodies with the stump of one leg hanging out) don't appear to be hanging from the bottom of the sector they're in. They appear to be part of a taller sector. This doesn't happen in GZDoom. It may have something to do with the nodes being ZDoom uncompressed nodes (XNOD structure), but it seems odd that that it only affects those particular hanging bodies.
  • There are 13 secrets listed on the automap. One of them is a control sector (joined to a secret), so you can't actually get the 13th secret.

Played some of the maps in HNTR for the beta release of the episode (that will happen in these days... Maybe) and you guys have made a really great work here!

Some issues:

• E3M1 should have more ammo before the exit, i found myself fighting caviar with only the pistol... also a way to reach the "check cunt" secret it could be beautiful, thanks.
  • E3M7 needs some teleport spots in the void section for getting out of it, the level is really, really good. A journey to the final outpost of this dimension! Really neat midi choice, also.

4 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

E3M1 should have more ammo before the exit, i found myself fighting caviar with only the pistol... also a way to reach the "check cunt" secret it could be beautiful, thanks.

Roofi managed it and proved that it is possible but it is also beyond my skill sadly to reach the area without cheating. I think you have to do an sr50. One of the candles to the left just before the exit has a gap and if you look at the automap when you stand right infront of the exit teleporter you should see an other teleporter pad that dosnt have any obvious way to be reached.

Remember this area is supposed to an be easter egg, something you randomly stumble upon after the wad has been on id archives for two years and post on the forum.

2)Which difficulty level where you playing on when you almost ran out of ammo? I need to know to make corrections.

1 hour ago, NeedHealth said:

Which difficulty level where you playing on when you almost ran out of ammo? I need to know to make corrections

Hey, not too rough