Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

Deadly Standards 3 - a Episode 3 Community Project with a twist (idgames ready!)

@Roofi dude, I was thinking that you can release your map as a standalone map, just for a appetizer of the mapset, since this project will take a little more time than I thought, I suspect.

Update: Shortly after my last post, I started working at the big Post Office plant here in Oshkosh. It's an extremely intense and physical job, 60 hours a week with only 1 day off. As a result, I've had no time/energy for Doom since early September. All my projects came to a sudden halt. I'm trying to work my way back into it now by playing some maps to have some fun and get the juices flowing.

As for my map, it's over 75% complete. I'm extremely rusty right now as a player, so it will be interesting to see how long it takes me to work up to the difficulty level of this map, which has some nasty moments and big traps. It seems this project will take awhile to finish, so I'll probably wait until January/February to decide whether I can complete the map in a timely manner or whether I should let my slot go to someone else.

I've played almost all the maps submitted so far, and I really like them. Commentary coming soon, I hope. :) 

I'm actually in the process of updating my map, as well. At the time, I didn't understand what the differences were between various source ports and compatibility... so the new version will be limit-removing, and not Chocolate Doom compatible. 

Been chocolate doom compatible means that is limit-removing compatible...

5 hours ago, Steve D said:

As for my map, it's over 75% complete. I'm extremely rusty right now as a player, so it will be interesting to see how long it takes me to work up to the difficulty level of this map, which has some nasty moments and big traps. It seems this project will take awhile to finish, so I'll probably wait until January/February to decide whether I can complete the map in a timely manner or whether I should let my slot go to someone else.

Don't worry, take you time! You can also send what you have made and other people will complete it... Otherwise, you just leave it. Your wish.

4 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Been chocolate doom compatible means that is limit-removing compatible...

Right, but for whatever reason at the time, I was under the impression that my map had to be Chocolate compatible (which resulted in me going through the map gutting things, rearranging rooms, throwing up arbitrary walls to block lines of sight, etc. and just altering it in ways that I wasn't entirely happy with -- and turns out, that I didn't even need to). Didn't realize I could just aim for Crispy or prb+ cl2 compatibility. Doh!  

Hi for my part, I've decided not to release my map for the moment. In any case I'm not going to release it individually, I plan to include it in a "mini" episode (2 or 3 maps maybe).

I remember that Pegleg was talking about replacing my map on the Bridgeburner discord if I'm not wrong. I'm not removing this map for the project. At the moment, I don't have much motivation to map so my project won't be for tomorrow and having reviews is always useful !

36 minutes ago, Roofi said:

Hi for my part, I've decided not to release my map for the moment. In any case I'm not going to release it individually, I plan to include it in a "mini" episode (2 or 3 maps maybe).

I remember that Pegleg was talking about replacing my map on the Bridgeburner discord if I'm not wrong. I'm not removing this map for the project. At the moment, I don't have much motivation to map so my project won't be for tomorrow and having reviews is always useful !

Roofi, I knew you Walter had given you the offer to release it separately, and I thought you had taken him up on it. My mistake!  I'm glad your map is still in the project and that brings the project one step closer to completion.

I'm well aware that my map is one of the maps that you're still waiting on Walter. My map is probably somewhere around 40% complete. I recently got back to working on it. I hope to be able to finish by sometime in the first couple months of next year.

Hi , I began do some testing. So , I begin with @NeedHealth map.

E3M1

• Very nice introductory map that highlights the new sky. The gameplay is quite classic with zombies, imps and some cacos but with a very present sky that does damage when you walk on it. I like its aerial theme, as if the wad was going to take place in a kind of corrupted heavens.

• In my demo, I couldn't find the secret of the berserk.

FDA Demo (tested on prboom+ , cl3 , Ultra violence)

Remarks and bugs

• I like the omnipresence of the sky, but I've always found it strange to be able to walk on the sky when platforms make you think of small phases of platforming.
  • I understand why I couldn't unlock the berserk. You have to press a random wall to hope to get it. Maybe a little hint wouldn't be a bad idea.
  • Linedefs 2533 , 150, 153 , 2530, 2406 and 1625 don't have textures and create HOMS.
  • I don't really care about texture alignment but some textures under doors are really poorly aligned like here :
Spoiler

doom10.png

• Sectors 0 and 24 shouldn't do damage (2 sectors with dirt textures).
  • I managed to reach this place by walking on the small edge around the exit , maybe it would be cool to put a secret here :
Spoiler

doom12.png

• You should uncheck "lower unpegged" on linedef 1599 (switch texture for the little lift holding the chaingun)

@Roofi The beserk secret has a hint and it is right above the wall you need to press ( two strips of border texture) . As for the map i have an updated version lying around somewhere that i havnt uploaded yet which seems to be good because you found more bugs. Thanks for playing!

E3M2 @Lord_Z

DEMO

•  This map, like E3M1 has a pretty interesting gimmick with the sky. Here, walking on small crevasses allows us to navigate between two different variants of the level. The progression is more complex than we think, even confusing at times, but the rendering is good.  I realized at the end of the level that I was navigating between two similar but different layouts!
  • I also liked the spacious areas. As for the fights, they are quite generic but rather appreciable.
  • I didn't find the two secrets located in the marbled areas. Like the E1M1 map with the berserk, there is no real clue to find them.
  • No particular bugs had been found.

E3M3 @RonnieJamesDiner

• Sorry, I'll start with the worst. :) I made two demos and got stuck at the same place. The red sector with the two barons inside did not rise up because none of the 4 linedefs around the teleporter got activated... I tested in compatibility 3 (Ultimate Doom) on prboom and I saw that you did it too according to your words. I think it's a really bad luck. However , I think linedefs with the "W1 Floor raise to next higher floor" are too close of the teleporter. there is only a gap of 8px. I think 16px should be more secure. Anyways , this bug happened twice in my  demos.
Spoiler

doom08.png

• Otherwise, I still tried to finish the map by launching it via doombuilder and I must say it's a very solid job. The strong points are its great architecture, both varied and not very orthogonal with a lot of circular rooms.

• A lot of non-linearity with a varied progression with edges, differences in height, large rocky areas, a little plaftorming... This is very good.

• The level is not very difficult, but there are monsters that are sometimes very well used. Shotgunners are especially quite vicious.  The fight with the Cyber and the cacodemons at the end is very ingenious with a good optimization of the space ! The various holes also push us to pay attention where we put our feet...

• This level demonstrates that the black texture allows you to easily and efficiently create levels that take place in the void.

• No custom music? I like original E3M3 music but I don't think it fits very well with the map. I would expect a more atmopsheric/menacing track for this map.

• Also , I would lower a bit the brightness in this level but it's more a matter of taste than else.FDA DEmos.zip

FDA DEmos.zip

Edited by Roofi

E3M6 @riderr3

Roofi_D3_E3M6.zip (FDA Demo)

• Very nice map with a very ethereal theme. It reminds me a lot of Needhealth's map in terms of theme, but is much more dangerous with its many hazardous floors as well as the sometimes quite intense fights.

• I liked the big red room that lowers to become a big lava pit.  Also, the small pyramid adds a mystical tone and makes this map quite memorable. In its execution, this map reminds me of Mt Erebus with scattered structures in large areas.

• I found strictly no secrets. I suppose that secrets are all interdependent and allow us to reach the secret exit

• Like the Needhealth map, I still find it weird to literally be able to walk on the sky while platforms seem to float. Matter of tastes I think.

• Original and unexpected use of the Mastermind, although it is not really threatening.

doom12.png

I was thinking of adding some kind of easter egg inside here, a texture with some writing. I have a few ideas but if anyone else has an idea i would like to hear it!

Hi @Walter confetti. Here is my map, Brazen Hell  The background music is Beast Attack, composed by David Whittaker, from the old Amiga game Shadow of The Beast.

I know you didn't want hard, slaughtery maps, but I disappoint you once again. ;D

I did a quick implementation of difficulty settings, but I've only tested UV.

In the process of making and testing this map, I suffered from indecision. As I said a few months ago, I wanted to create a scenario where Hell was taking over an interstellar outpost, but the forces of humanity were making a comeback. In this version of the map, you'll see where I forked off one side to become a techbase. However, in making the Hell portion of the map, I created a non-stop, fairly savage fight with over 300 monsters on UV, and with a really bigass trap. In testing the gameplay tonight, I said to myself, "This is really all the map we need. There is no reason to make a techbase side, and if I do that, it will just make the map overly long and possibly boring."

Those are my thoughts, but I give you this version with the techbase fork, which is just some stairs and an empty room, so you can decide for yourself. If you agree with me, I'll delete the fork and clean up a few other things, get rid of the yellow skull bars, and it will be done, apart from any changes that need doing after we get some playtests. 

32 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Thank you very much for the map! Adding to the map list, I'll see to move your map from E3M5 to E3M7, if you like.

I don't mind getting the M7 slot, though I thought Brazen Hell might be good after @Roofi's magnum opus, which btw I UVMaxed on my second try, after getting lost and confused on my first go. ;D I really enjoyed Roofi's map. Thinking Man's Doom. Very unique, so I thought that a relatively short blast of pure mindless carnage was just the thing to follow it up. ;D But I'll leave it up to you, boss. :)

Played Steve map yesterday, is a epic battle arena fight that reminded me of another level I've played, maybe final maps of Vanguard? Yes, it's pretty much similar to MAP12 of that mapset... Really good map, before playing it i thought it was a really hard map, but I see is a intense battle map but is beatable under 15 minutes (without killing the cyber demon at the end) so it's good with me and with being E3M5 here. The only problem i see is that there's not much ammo for the powerful guns like the rocket launcher and the plasma gun, i think they really need here. Also the DOORTRAK texture at the flesh cavern where the trap is doesn't really belong there... And i can't find a way to get the secret BFG near the tech base portion. That section could be used for a ammo / health depot, or is it a stupid idea?

Francist pointed out alot of small errors in my map that I am fixing. Also didnt like the midi so I need to find something else.

8 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Thank you very much for the map! Adding to the map list, I'll see to move your map from E3M5 to E3M7, if you like.

@Pegleg and @Noiser, how's the progress of your maps?

My map is currently in the E3M7 slot, but I always figured you would rearrange the maps in the slots for M2, M3, M4, M5, and M7 after all the maps were submitted. I'm not particularly bothered wherever my map ends up, whether it be 7 or another slot. Regardless, as Steve said, that's up to you.

As for my progress, I'm probably at ~75%. This map is now at the top of my list, and I plan to finish this map before I start working on any others. So, hopefully, that means it should be done by the end of March.

Got a message from Noiser, he said that he free his slot to other mappers, if you want to do a spider mastermind final battle you've got it.

1 hour ago, Walter confetti said:

Got a message from Noiser, he said that he free his slot to other mappers, if you want to do a spider mastermind final battle you've got it.

Screw it. I'm back & I'm in.

You want E3M8? You've got it! I just hope to don't wait another year for have something to play lol

Here's a casual UV Max demo for @Steve D's level, because why not? ;)

Couple bugs to report:

• One secret (sector 582) is tied to a Boom action.
  • Cyberdemons never come out to play since the linedef that causes sector 546 to lower (and thus, propagate sound to their closets) is also a Boom action. :(((

Otherwise, good stuff!

BHell125.zip