Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.5.0 (Apr 30, 2024)

18 minutes ago, Donowa said:

how would one go about configuring the settings for voxels? asking because i want to make it so the enemy movement isn't interpolated, and to also have the items not face the camera

Such options do not yet exist.

Hello, I've got a small request. When using the vanilla automap color preset with the "color keyed doors" on, the yellow and red door colour is too similar to the other map colours and you can't notice the difference. I don't mind, but perhaps you could use the extended map colours of Crispy Doom? They would look a lot nicer.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, costadevale said:

Hello, I've got a small request. When using the vanilla automap color preset with the "color keyed doors" on, the yellow and red door colour is too similar to the other map colours and you can't notice the difference. I don't mind, but perhaps you could use the extended map colours of Crispy Doom? They would look a lot nicer.

It's possible to change the locked door colors in woof.cfg if you look for the "mapcolor_rdor", "mapcolor_bdor", "mapcolor_ydor" values. You could use SLADE as a cheat sheet for the colors like in this screenshot. Aside from doors, you can still change all the individual map colors in the CFG.

Screenshot 2024-05-25 164651.jpg

Edited by pantheon

5 hours ago, Alaux said:

This should have been fixed already. Are you using the latest release?

Oops! My mistake. I was still on 14.3.0. 

I downloaded the newest version and the mouse interactions with the menu seem to be better already.

On 3/11/2020 at 12:11 AM, Urthar said:

Ran a quick test.

KnNxCt1.png

Some minor variations with sound blocks and demo syncing, but otherwise it seems to

work pretty well. Nice to have a exe, that you can drag and drop pwads onto.

I'm curious, what mod is this?

7 minutes ago, ArpeggioPegasus said:

I'm curious, what mod is this?

Looks like Dimension of the Boomed.

21 hours ago, costadevale said:

The next release will have a Crispy automap color scheme. 

I know I've asked about this before but it was a long time ago and nobody explicitly said no so I thought I'd ask again.

Would it be possible to add an option (even if only in the .cfg file) to have the intermission scores count be instant?  I doubt anyone actually sits through the rattling gun sound watching the tally go up certainly not with the size of some of today's maps.  I know on can just press fire but, as the saying goes, why not both?

Also, bonus feature request:  Doom 64 style transparency for the Spectres.  I've no idea if that's even possible in Woof! but I thought since I was already typing I may as well ask. :P

12 minutes ago, Average said:

Also, bonus feature request:  Doom 64 style transparency for the Spectres.  I've no idea if that's even possible in Woof! but I thought since I was already typing I may as well ask. :P

You could probably achieve a similar effect in DeHackEd by replacing the SHADOW flag with the TRANSLUCENT flag, although you wouldn't be able to change the translucency % after the Spectre dies. For the color of the Spectre you'd need either a palette translation or an entirely new set of sprites. (Wouldn't be impossible for Woof! since DEHEXTRA exists.)

On 5/25/2024 at 11:50 PM, pantheon said:

It's possible to change the locked door colors in woof.cfg if you look for the "mapcolor_rdor", "mapcolor_bdor", "mapcolor_ydor" values. You could use SLADE as a cheat sheet for the colors like in this screenshot. Aside from doors, you can still change all the individual map colors in the CFG.

I was suggesting rather than asking for an alternative solution, but thank you anyway. Didn't know about the index thingy!

11 hours ago, fabian said:

Awesome, keep up the good work!

12 hours ago, Average said:

I know I've asked about this before but it was a long time ago and nobody explicitly said no so I thought I'd ask again.

Would it be possible to add an option (even if only in the .cfg file) to have the intermission scores count be instant?  I doubt anyone actually sits through the rattling gun sound watching the tally go up certainly not with the size of some of today's maps.  I know on can just press fire but, as the saying goes, why not both?

That's a pretty explicit "no" for sure. Skipping the intermission screen, which requires a button press, will very sure lead to desyncing demos, which record all the button presses. 

2 hours ago, fabian said:

That's a pretty explicit "no" for sure. Skipping the intermission screen, which requires a button press, will very sure lead to desyncing demos, which record all the button presses. 

Cool beans.  Thanks for the explanation.  I didn't think of demos de-syncing. :)

22 hours ago, fabian said:

Is this an additional entry in the automap color options or is it replacing something?

Posted (edited)

Is there a way to make the invisibility blur ignore screen resolution? The effect kinda loses its magic pattern when going significantly above 200p.

3 minutes ago, NightFright said:

Is there a way to make the invisibility blur ignore screen resolution? The effect kinda loses its magic when going significantly above 200p.

We have a "Blocky Spectre Drawing" option that tries to do what you describe. In the menu Options->Enemies->Blocky Spectre Drawing

Posted (edited)

Alright. For some reason I expected this to show up under General > Display or Misc. Personally I'd maybe rather list this elsewhere, labeled something like "Invisibility Effect" with the options "Blocky" and "Resolution-Based" or "Scaled" (ideally under General > Misc > Quality of Life, right next to "Invulnerability Effect"). After all, the invisible player is affected by this setting as well. Anyway, thanks a lot!

Edited by NightFright

On 4/27/2024 at 2:53 AM, fabian said:

The most prominent issues were the clicks between repeated sounds and the volume add-up of identical sounds played at the same time. With the switch to OpenAL Soft these issues were immediately resolved

Were they resolved? I'm still getting a lot of clicking in the AppImage of Woof 14.5.0 (and in the latest Nugget AppImage):

This example is from map 15 of TNT Devilution Beta 6. This happens on both "Standard" and "Open AL", under every combination of settings I've tried, with and without the "sound bulb" mod. It isn't totally consistent; sometimes it is like 65% less noticeable than this, but still enough to be annoying. In GZDoom or LZDoom this is much less noticeable, and only clicks one time when the crushers reach the top or bottom (and the menus don't click).

Linux Mint 21.3, Cinnamon 6.0.4, Kernel 5.15.0-107-generic

Intel Core i5-10400

GeForce GTX 1650

16 GB RAM

Intel Comet Lake PCH cAVS

12 minutes ago, OnymynO said:

Were they resolved? I'm still getting a lot of clicking in the AppImage of Woof 14.5.0 (and in the latest Nugget AppImage)

For some reason I get that crackling noise when running the AppImage, but not when building it from source, so that may be worth a try if you're up to the task. (This is on Fedora 39.)

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Shepardus said:

For some reason I get that crackling noise when running the AppImage, but not when building it from source, so that may be worth a try if you're up to the task. (This is on Fedora 39.)

Hmm. I built Nugget from source, put the executable in ".local/share/nugget-doom" (alongside the appimage and its config), started it through ZDL, and I still had the crackling problem. It generated its own config file separate from the appimage config.

I then did the same for Woof, and same story, except it didn't generate its own config file; it seemed to be using the one made by the appimage. I then deleted that config file and tried again, and this time the clicking was pretty much gone.

I then deleted both Nugget configs and tried the nugget-doom executable again, and the clicking was pretty much gone. I then deleted those configs and tried the Woof and Nugget appimages again with fresh configs, and the clicking was pretty much gone.

I don't get it. It's not like I put anything weird in those configs, and I didn't carry them over from older versions, or anything.

I'm fully expecting it to randomly break again.

Edited by OnymynO

7 hours ago, OnymynO said:

Were they resolved? I'm still getting a lot of clicking in the AppImage of Woof 14.5.0 (and in the latest Nugget AppImage)

That AppImage release was built with Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS, which unfortunately uses an ancient version of OpenAL Soft from 2018. The Woof workflow on GitHub was recently updated to use Ubuntu 24.04 LTS which has a good, recent* version of OpenAL Soft. Compiling from source and either running it directly or making an AppImage manually is fine (tested with Ubuntu 24.04 LTS and Arch Linux).

*Fabian is also a Debian developer so he updated the OpenAL Soft package which had no Debian/Ubuntu maintainer for some reason. Due to the way longer-term support releases work, only the newer Debian/Ubuntu releases actually have a recent version.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, OnymynO said:

I don't get it. It's not like I put anything weird in those configs, and I didn't carry them over from older versions, or anything.

The configs are saved in one place, for example:

/home/your_name/.local/share/woof/

The config name will match the executable name, so typically "woof.cfg" for builds from source or "Woof-xx.x.x-Linux.cfg" for AppImages.

48 minutes ago, OnymynO said:

I'm fully expecting it to randomly break again.

Please read the above post.

Edited by ceski

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ceski said:

The configs are saved in one place, for example:

/home/your_name/.local/share/woof/

The config name will match the executable name, so typically "woof.cfg" for builds from source or "Woof-xx.x.x-Linux.cfg" for AppImages.

Yes, but what I'm saying is that the Nugget executable made its own config as expected, while the Woof executable used the appimage config that was already there.

1 hour ago, ceski said:

Please read the above post.

Hm? Does that post explain how the very same AppImage files that were crackling suddenly stopped crackling after starting a fresh config file? Or why the executable built from source crackled at first but then didn't crackle after starting a fresh config file?

Edited by OnymynO

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OnymynO said:

Hm? Does that post explain how the very same AppImage files that were crackling suddenly stopped crackling after starting a fresh config file? Or why the executable built from source crackled at first but then didn't crackle after starting a fresh config file?

Try the first room in DBP25.wad with rotating columns that cause a lot of clicking. I did a test on Arch Linux - running the released Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage with old OpenAL and the newer artifact build Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage with new OpenAL. The new version has no clicks with the same config.

Yes, but what I'm saying is that the Nugget executable made its own config as expected, while the Woof executable used the appimage config that was already there.

I think you got mixed up somewhere. An executable named "woof" will not automatically load a config file named "Woof-xx.x.x-Linux.cfg" (source).

Linux Mint 21.3 is based on Ubuntu 22.04 so it has the same old library and you'll have the same issues, even if you try building from source. You can try the AppImage artifact at the bottom of this page (must be logged in) which is based on the newer workflow I mentioned. As rfomin said, it should solve your issues.

On 4/30/2024 at 2:49 AM, fabian said:

Woof! 14.5.0 is released on Apr 30, 2024.

A complete list of new features, improvements and bug fixes can be found on the release page:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/releases/latest

OH you guys actually added "CRT mode" already. Somehow completely missed this.

Thanks a ton! Game's looking spiffy and running smooth as hell now at a blistering 100hz.

Spoiler

yea.jpg.fa761dadd3f23466731a7b89a6df18f8.jpg

10 hours ago, ceski said:

I think you got mixed up somewhere. An executable named "woof" will not automatically load a config file named "Woof-xx.x.x-Linux.cfg" (source).

I suppose it is possible I picked the wrong option in ZDL; I'll assume that to be the case. Anyway, I was just confused, because sometimes there is no clicking (in both the executable and appimage) and sometimes there is a ton. I thought starting a new config changed something, but in reality it is the luck of the draw on every launch.

10 hours ago, ceski said:

Linux Mint 21.3 is based on Ubuntu 22.04 so it has the same old library and you'll have the same issues, even if you try building from source. You can try the AppImage artifact at the bottom of this page (must be logged in) which is based on the newer workflow I mentioned. As rfomin said, it should solve your issues.

It doesn't launch. :(

Trying to run it through the terminal yields this:

Spoiler

./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libSDL2-2.0.so.0)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libopenal.so.1)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libsndfile.so.1)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libsndfile.so.1)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libXcursor.so.1)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libwayland-client.so.0)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libxkbcommon.so.0)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libdecor-0.so.0)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libsndio.so.7)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libmp3lame.so.0)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libgomp.so.1)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libglib-2.0.so.0)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libpipewire-0.3.so.0)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libdbus-1.so.3)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libreadline.so.8)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libpulsecommon-16.1.so)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libbsd.so.0)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libsystemd.so.0)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libapparmor.so.1)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libcap.so.2)
./Woof-14.5.0-Linux.appimage: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.38' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_Woof-1L4YFjY/usr/bin/../lib/libgcrypt.so.20)