Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scypek2

Three Is A Crowd (Anniversary Edition on idgames)

12 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

Hey, just wanted to report that the map 32 intermission text doesn't work in the final version (at least not in GZDoom). It just shows the stock "you've found the super secret level" text. I'm not sure what's going on there. I remember it worked correctly in the earlier version of 3IaC that I played (must have been 1.0?).

Strange, i tried it on Chocolate, Crispy and DoomRetro, ZDoom, GZDoom 3.22 and LZDoom and it worked fine.
maybe is something more loaded on your end that may be interfering with the dehacked?

22 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Strange, i tried it on Chocolate, Crispy and DoomRetro, ZDoom, GZDoom 3.22 and LZDoom and it worked fine.
maybe is something more loaded on your end that may be interfering with the dehacked?

No, but it could be just a temporary bug in a specific version of GZ. I'm using 4.3.3 still. It does work for me in ZDoom 2.8.1.

Or hell, maybe it's just gnomes in my computer :P

I was using GZDoom 4.4.2 and had the same thing with the intermission text leading into MAP32, but didn't think to comment on it in the DWMC thread.

I made a Doomworld account just to say this mega wad is excellent. I'm playing as Guy #2 right now and having a blast.

Spoiler

Also, what do I do in the map "Deadlift." I go down the elevator, approach the only door, and get destroyed by 2 archviles and a couple dozen explosive barrels. Any hints?

Edited by The Mike

4 hours ago, The Mike said:

I made a Doomworld account just to say this mega wad is excellent. I'm playing as Guy #2 right now and having a blast.

Hide contents

Also, what do I do in the map "Deadlift." I go down the elevator, approach the only door, and get destroyed by 2 archviles and a couple dozen explosive barrels. Any hints?

Welcome to the forums, hope you have a great time here!

Glad you are enjoying this megawad! Its pretty unconventional and don't work on normal logic.

And so, the names of the maps are kinda hints of what you will encounter.

So Don't go through the elevator first.

Explore around, there are some cracks on the walls that lead to new areas.

Thank you! Back on the right track. I should have figured it had something to do with the first room, instead of just running into death over and over again like a lemming.

Congratulations on the cacoward! I am so pleased this gem got the recognition it deserves.

Apologies for the bump, but there is some serious issues with map 32. The blockmap seems doubled up and is causing issues with movement and shooting in the entire north western part of the map. (I downloaded it from idgames originally, and to make sure, I downloaded the version linked in this thread.

Also is map 31 supposed to exit immediately upon entering it?

That aside, wonderful mapset. Thoroughly enjoyed the first 15 maps that I have planed so far. Unique ideas, wonderful gameplay. Great stuff.

4 minutes ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

Apologies for the bump, but there is some serious issues with map 32. The blockmap seems doubled up and is causing issues with movement and shooting in the entire north western part of the map. (I downloaded it from idgames originally, and to make sure, I downloaded the version linked in this thread.

Also is map 31 supposed to exit immediately upon entering it?

That aside, wonderful mapset. Thoroughly enjoyed the first 15 maps that I have planed so far. Unique ideas, wonderful gameplay. Great stuff.

Hi, pal!
No need to apologise, this mapset is really good, and a reminding of how good it is is welcomed ;)

Mmm, i checked the files and no, there are no doubled up blockmap, what you experience on the map...

believe it or not, is the inteded way. It was designed to kind fuck-up your mind and senses.

Probably you are talking about the strange room on the north that has strange illusion walls, right? It works that way. And the next room with the walls kinda being misaligned from the place they should be, it is made that way on purpose, too.

It adds to the fucked up nature of the experience the second protagonist is living.

As for map31, yes it starts and ends at the same moment you move.

If you readed the following text screen, it was kinda like second protagonist make a wrong turn someway and ended on a seriously nasty place. So he just like opnened the door, looked all the menacing monsters and ''nope! not this way''.
That lead him to that awfully different map14 end area

Its Kinda funny and joke moment to lift a little the oppression XD

Thank you for the reply @P41R47. Much appreciated.

Perhaps you are right. IT does seem very messed up though. Invisible walls blocking you from going down corridors. Black floors where secrtors are not complete. Keys embedded in walls. Every hallmark of a screwed up level. I really thought the level was broken.

And instantly ending map 31 before it starts is odd too. I thought that was broken too. But that said, if that is how it is meant to be, then I accept that.

Thanks again.

Also. Great megawad. :)

HAHAHAHAHAHA. This is more than I ever hoped for. I feel like a real artist now. Thank you for your input, this has made my day.

I've never heard anyone comment much about the looping fake-wall room on the same level, though. I guess the shifted geometry section right after overshadows it completely... I still wonder what players think when they first enter that room, though. Do they spend some time going counterclockwise before deciding to start going through solid walls and encountering the clue? Does it feel like a glitch too?

18 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

Do they spend some time going counterclockwise before deciding to start going through solid walls and encountering the clue? Does it feel like a glitch too?

First time playing, yes.

I felt totally confused.
And the shifted geometry section surelly felt totally weird. I thought it may be an error. But then, recalling all the strange things you made on the mapset to that point, i just free my mind of what to expect, and enjoyed the ride.

Damn fine ride, pal!

Have you thought of a sequel for 3IAC?

:D

I can smell more glitchy lunacy from you.

I disliked that whole broken section of map 32 so much that I went into an editor and am fixing it lol.

Everything else has been wonderful. Provided the last 15 levels are as good as the first, this will go into my top 10 mapsets.

6 hours ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

Everything else has been wonderful.

Even map08? :P

6 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Have you thought of a sequel for 3IAC?

:D

I can smell more glitchy lunacy from you.

I've had some ideas, for sure. The more specific plans I have aren't directly related to 3IAC, but there's gonna be something peculiar involved for sure. I'm sure there's still plenty of untapped potential, even in vanilla doom... and unusual things are just what I make by default.

To end my earlier story about editing level 32 to make it "not-pretend-broken", I realised that I was crap at editing, so I just loaded up map 15 again and skipped the secret levels lol. Maps 16-19 have been just great.

13 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

Even map08? :P

I loved Map 08. The only part that broke me was the pillars leading up like stairs to the blue(?) key. There were corpses on some of those pillars, but Ideally there could have been corpses, even decorate ones, on every pillar, so that you knew where to go. I confess I used IDDT to see the pillars. Otherwise, I loved it. I actually enjoy smart, tough levels with puzzles and challenging ways to figure out progression.

As proof of my previous statement, I really enjoy Drake O'Brien's levels from TNT, and they are some of the least liked levels. So I guess my taste in level design is perhaps not shared by everyone. 

As a little minor note, it is possible to get stuck on map 27. In the room with the yellow keycard...

Spoiler

...where all the cyberdemons teleport into the area when you pick the keycard up...

...it is possible to get stuck if you ran straight forward to where the upside down cross is, before the marble baron face rises to cover the entrance.

1 hour ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

As a little minor note, it is possible to get stuck on map 27. In the room with the yellow keycard...

Hide contents

...where all the cyberdemons teleport into the area when you pick the keycard up...

...it is possible to get stuck if you ran straight forward to where the upside down cross is, before the marble baron face rises to cover the entrance.

Pretty much, yes.
Nice catch!
Probably, everybody who played it, seeing the menacing cybers on the distance, and falling to the same trap almost all the time during the voyage, not even tried to get into the inverted cross portal.

Fortunatelly, as you are just on the start of the map, you can easily reload from last save.

Hope it wasn't three maps back :S

So, @Scypek2 here is a tweak to make if there is ever a v1.2 of 3IAC.
The marble baron face has to rise faster, or start to rise a bit earlier than when the player gets the yellow card.

I charged towards it because I thought it might be a teleporter away from a room that not even zero master could survive without a tactical retreat.

I was sure I fixed it already... I think there's some workaround there already, but it doesn't work. So it prevents you from exiting prematurely, but then it gets you stuck instead. I'll give it another look, I can think of a good solution.

2 minutes ago, Scypek2 said:

I was sure I fixed it already... I think there's some workaround there already, but it doesn't work. So it prevents you from exiting prematurely, but then it gets you stuck instead. I'll give it another look, I can think of a good solution.

This is activated through linedefs, so an easyway could be to put a separate linedef for that, just before the exit of the lateral corridors, so when the player glimpse the card, he already touched the linedef that rises the marble face that will be slowly raising as the player gets there, and understand that taking the key is most important than running into the portal... probably.

OR just put the one that activates the marble face a little away from the card, and the first one the player touch.

In other news, just finished this right now. 

F*****G magnificent. Well done. Sooooo many unique ideas. Who would have thought that in 2021 we would still be having relatively vanilla wads with so many new concepts and ideas in them.

Also, Map 29 is my new "I hate this map so much but also I love it."  A really clever idea with the lift that you have to keep raising. Took me forever to work that out.

I should get back into this. I did the first two maps before getting distracted, and had a hell of a time trying to berserk punch that cyberdemon with savescumming for 100% kills, only to suddenly realise I could telefrag him with some effort.

Screenshot_Doom_20220924_151230.png.b57c165b30ee5ea91a2eb348b6a5bb92.png

MAP07 really was among the least interesting in the set. I did some gameplay tweaks and it's night and day... better late than never!

Did I mention Three Is A Crowd contains deathmatch levels? Well, it sure does! And now that it's been 2 years since 3IAC appeared on idgames, I went ahead and compiled a revised release. It contains:

• 87 fixes and improvements ranging from big to tiny
  • One new singleplayer map? Maybe? Was it not a full megawad already?
  • Full deathmatch support, including 27 deathmatch-exclusive levels
  • Maybe even more storyline hidden in there somewhere

Have you ever wondered how a 3IAC-inspired deathmatch megawad would play? Now it's time to find out! And if you haven't played 3IAC before or been considering replaying it, now's the perfect time.

3IAC 1.2.1 on idgames

Here's a sneak peek!

Edited by Scypek2

I looked at 3IAC pretty thoroughly in the editor/peaked around every map using cheats and loved all I saw, when it first came out. Clearly the work of a skilled craftsman. It kicked my ass though when I tried to play it the traditional way - I think the DM arenas will allow me to get plenty more hours out of this baby!