Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beloko

GLESZDoom - GZDoom for potatoes

23 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Any chance of renaming the executable to ZDoomGLES (and the port itself) to make it a bit more official since Graf has stated to keep this (for now) in its own build?

That would also make it easier to run with editors and launchers out of the box without having to rename it with every update

3 hours ago, drfrag said:

It still won't run on GL2 hardware, check my post at zdoom.org.

Just tested it with a Geforce 6150 IGP (GL2). It throws one error in GZDoom-GLES test 4. Screencapped and submitted it for review.

3 hours ago, MattFright said:

That would also make it easier to run with editors and launchers out of the box without having to rename it with every update

Exactly. ZDoomGLES sounds nicer too. Or GZDoom-GLES as Rachael calls it. Alternatively, GLESDoom? ;)

And i guess it runs becouse the driver supported more modern cards as well.

On 4/2/2021 at 11:29 AM, drfrag said:

And i guess it runs becouse the driver supported more modern cards as well.

Maybe its a good thing to tell @beloko about your other ports besides LZDoom since although less often updated than LZ, they all target a specific subset of hardware and perhaps he isn't aware of their existence?

@beloko drfrag has maintained several ZDoom-based builds with different tiers of rendering support: ZDoom Classic (CL), ZDoom Legacy Edition (LE), and ZDoom32. Ill list them on GPU support:

• ZDoom32 has among other things a OpenGL 2.0 renderer, taken from GZDoom 1.9.1.
  • ZDoom LE has a OpenGL 1.2 renderer, taken from GZDoom 1.8.4. Graf did say that GZ never used OpenGL 1.2, but Frag found out that the renderer works on this level of hardware.
  • ZDoom CL adds in an early Direct3D renderer that was barely documented in ZDoom versions 2.1.7 and 2.2 and adds a OpenGL 1.1 renderer, taken from GZDoom 1.0.17. It can also run on Windows 95.

Then there is also GZDoom 1.8.6 which also still works.

13 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

drfrag has maintained several ZDoom-based builds with different tiers of rendering support: ZDoom Classic (CL), ZDoom Legacy Edition (LE), and ZDoom32. Ill list them on GPU support:

• ZDoom32 has among other things a OpenGL 2.0 renderer, taken from GZDoom 1.9.1.
  • ZDoom LE has a OpenGL 1.2 renderer, taken from GZDoom 1.8.4. Graf did say that GZ never used OpenGL 1.2, but Frag found out that the renderer works on this level of hardware.
  • ZDoom CL adds in an early Direct3D renderer that was barely documented in ZDoom versions 2.1.7 and 2.2 and adds a OpenGL 1.1 renderer, taken from GZDoom 1.0.17. It can also run on Windows 95.

Interesting! I've searched around for different source ports from time to time, but I've never heard of those forks until now. All they need is some zsript support and we'll be one step closer to running Guncaster on an old pentium ;)

On 3/17/2021 at 1:43 PM, Redneckerz said:

If that's the case then why does GZ run just fine on said modern hardware?

Well, I'm referring to the modern common GPU manufactures Nvidia, AMD & Intel. There were rather unfriendly to GZDoom, even when it came to Gaming PCs & High-End video cards.

1 hour ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Well, I'm referring to the modern common GPU manufactures Nvidia, AMD & Intel. There were rather unfriendly to GZDoom, even when it came to Gaming PCs & High-End video cards.

No, they were. You stated that GPU's from these vendors couldn't handle GZDoom's visual feature set very flawlessly on most modern hardware without elaborating why. One other user then said that its not always running flawlessly, citing two of the most known GZDoom mods. There is a reason why they need more beefy hardware, and that reason isn't in GZDoom.

GZ runs fine on modern hardware, even when using the latest rendering options (See games like Selaco for that). But its a 3D renderer on a far older engine. And mods can push the system more than default Doom 2 under GZ can.

I don't know if anyone is actually using this modified version but I can do an update when v4.6 comes out officially, I also have the equivalent change for Raze.

4 hours ago, beloko said:

I don't know if anyone is actually using this modified version

I can tell you i am! And on that note, it really would be nice if you disabled the debug text spam in the next update, funnily enough thats the only thing holding me back from using this port sometimes.

I don't know if anyone is actually using this modified version but I can do an update when v4.6 comes out officially, I also have the equivalent change for Raze.

I would be interested in that.

21 minutes ago, MattFright said:

I can tell you i am! And on that note, it really would be nice if you disabled the debug text spam in the next update, funnily enough thats the only thing holding me back from using this port sometimes.

Yes I have removed that debug text a while ago now, also most of the light modes works and there are other bug fixes. I'll post it here when 4.6 is released.

Yes I have removed that debug text a while ago now, also most of the light modes works and there are other bug fixes. I'll post it here when 4.6 is released.

If it releases sooner than later... I was gonna say myself if their is something about that annoying debug spam since I was trying it out to see if it can run okay on my Intel laptop. It is a good laptop if not a few years old... But the only thing I have a problem is that they cannot fix a problem that might relate to how Intel computers have bad rendering and will randomly only freeze my screen in the middle of a game at random, but the game itself still plays. It works fine on LZ and Zandronum, and I dunno if it is because of how heavy GZD runs everything.

10 hours ago, beloko said:

Count me in on that, aswell as Raze. I'd love to test these out with the GL2.0 backend active at start up.

In addition Laptop GPU aren't capable of rendering GZDOOM's modern OpenGL features due to their weaker power, my laptop included. Even high-end gaming laptops can struggle to render GZDOOM's modern OpenGL features.

41 minutes ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

In addition Laptop GPU aren't capable of rendering GZDOOM's modern OpenGL features due to their weaker power, my laptop included. Even high-end gaming laptops can struggle to render GZDOOM's modern OpenGL features.

Yeah... It stinks... I plan to get a desktop some time soon when the computer chips stock up again and I already had to wait quite a bit before that to... And only was it recently though I seen how bad Intel kinda is along with laptops themselves although I had to confirm it with the 2nd thing by someone.

5 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

I have a laptop and comfortably run basically any modern GZDoom mapset at a solid FPS with all the graphical bells and whistles turned on. It's far too much of a sweeping statement to say no laptop can handle GZDoom features. Whether you get a good FPS is more down to the map/mod in question.

12 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

In addition Laptop GPU aren't capable of rendering GZDOOM's modern OpenGL features due to their weaker power, my laptop included.

Laptop GPU's have identical features as desktops and run GZ just fine. When it comes to Nvidia/AMD that is.

If it does not run fine on your laptop is not a blueprint for every other laptop.

12 hours ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Even high-end gaming laptops can struggle to render GZDOOM's modern OpenGL features.

You keep saying this without any source.

12 hours ago, Delfino Furioso said:

and with it, an experimental release of "gzdoom-gles"

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72361

@beloko do you go by the name "emile_b" over at zdoom's forums?

That's his name yes.

New release 4.6.0a includes menu toggle for OpenGLES so no commandline needed.

I get 60-75 fps on 640x480 on a Geforce 6150.

25-30 fps on 1024x768.

Lets see how GF7900 or Radeon X850 hold up.

Framerate plummets on the exterior of Planisphere 2, not sure anything could be done about that, no?

System: FX-8300, 16GB DDR3 RAM, RX 590 8 GB

8 minutes ago, Armaetus said:

With a GPU as powerful as that, wouldn't the regular GZDoom with Vulkan renderer give better performance?

16 minutes ago, Armaetus said:

Framerate plummets on the exterior of Planisphere 2, not sure anything could be done about that, no?

Siding with ReaperAA here.

but

Using Planisphere on hardware for which the GLES renderer is made for (Mobile hardware, Geforce 6800/7800) would be interesting to see

43 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

With a GPU as powerful as that, wouldn't the regular GZDoom with Vulkan renderer give better performance?

I haven't given Vulkan a try. I'll give it a shot when I fire up the game next time.

22 minutes ago, Armaetus said:

I haven't given Vulkan a try. I'll give it a shot when I fire up the game next time.

Definitely should give Vulkan a shot. You have an AMD card and AMD cards generally perform much better on Vulkan as opposed to OpenGL.

My copy of GLESDoom just crashes on launch, but I do suspect it is something to do with the GPU itself, which is a Intel HD 3000 running on Windows 10 if that helps

40 minutes ago, xants_cerebon said:

My copy of GLESDoom just crashes on launch, but I do suspect it is something to do with the GPU itself, which is a Intel HD 3000 running on Windows 10 if that helps

That seems like Sandy Bridge, but Intel IGPs support OpenGL ES only on Linux or Android AFAIK.

It does support OpenGL 3.1 (3.3 on Linux), so on Linux you could theoretically get full GZDoom running on that, but not Windows. You'd have to fall back to DirectX9 software rendering.

9 hours ago, xants_cerebon said:

Hi Rachelle has made a build which should help narrow down crashes like this in the last comment on here:

https://github.com/drdteam/gzdoom-gles/issues/2

Please try using that build and sending the crash report files, thanks.

On 5/23/2021 at 2:20 PM, ReaperAA said:

Definitely should give Vulkan a shot. You have an AMD card and AMD cards generally perform much better on Vulkan as opposed to OpenGL.

Tried it recently, I am not getting vertical sync (despite being on) and the screen tearing bugs the crap out of me.