Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Veemon

TNT : Overcharged Close to be finish Update 01/18/2024

Don't take this the wrong way, but many of the screenshots you've posted don't impress me that much. 

The very first one (not counting the title image) is a nicely enough detailed door and indeed seems right at home in a TNT tribute project—but it's only a door.  The fifth one (GSTONE and CRACKLE) is reasonably nice looking.  The sixth one, with the blue stream slowly descending into the wood-shored rock tunnel, is probably the nicest out of all of them; it's got some nice naturalistic light, height and texture variation. 

All the others have that sort of amateurish 90s wad look to them, and not in a charming way.  Now I realize TNT literally was an amateur 90s wad, at least in its inception, and it probably had some areas that looked even more slapdash than this, but the goal of a remake in 2021 should be to bring it all up to the highest possible standard that retains the spirit of the original—IMO anyway.  Your words suggest you realize this, but your example is Dead Zone.  Now, I went back and looked at it just for this post, and while it's obviously true that Dead Zone would need a lot of work to bring it up to modern standards of detail and texturing for even vanilla/limit-removing wads, it still has much more spatial interest than you've got in all but one or two of those screenshots.  There's a ton of interestingly shaped rooms and areas, lots of height changes, etc.  One needs both good detail and interesting layouts, I think.

Perhaps you're just not screenshotting the areas that would show your maps off to their best advantage?

edit: Have a look at this thread, which came to my attention since it was recently bumped.  Notice how nice and interesting the areas in the screenshots are even though they're emulating maps from the early 90s.  Now yours obviously won't look exactly like this because they're emulating E1 and you'd be emulating TNT.  But it's an example of how vanilla wads, or tributes to vanilla wads, needn't look boxy or repetitive.

Edited by jerrysheppy

Little tip: use unpegged textures where appropriate. Look at how the brickwork is all warped and weird above and below the slanted bar of the "N" in your title image. If you make them upper and lower unpegged, they'll align nicely.

3 hours ago, Gez said:

Little tip: use unpegged textures where appropriate. Look at how the brickwork is all warped and weird above and below the slanted bar of the "N" in your title image. If you make them upper and lower unpegged, they'll align nicely.

I know, i left the texture in that way to show a "melted" wall

6 hours ago, jerrysheppy said:

Don't take this the wrong way, but many of the screenshots you've posted don't impress me that much. 

The very first one (not counting the title image) is a nicely enough detailed door and indeed seems right at home in a TNT tribute project—but it's only a door.  The fifth one (GSTONE and CRACKLE) is reasonably nice looking.  The sixth one, with the blue stream slowly descending into the wood-shored rock tunnel, is probably the nicest out of all of them; it's got some nice naturalistic light, height and texture variation. 

All the others have that sort of amateurish 90s wad look to them, and not in a charming way.  Now I realize TNT literally was an amateur 90s wad, at least in its inception, and it probably had some areas that looked even more slapdash than this, but the goal of a remake in 2021 should be to bring it all up to the highest possible standard that retains the spirit of the original—IMO anyway.  Your words suggest you realize this, but your example is Dead Zone.  Now, I went back and looked at it just for this post, and while it's obviously true that Dead Zone would need a lot of work to bring it up to modern standards of detail and texturing for even vanilla/limit-removing wads, it still has much more spatial interest than you've got in all but one or two of those screenshots.  There's a ton of interestingly shaped rooms and areas, lots of height changes, etc.  One needs both good detail and interesting layouts, I think.

Perhaps you're just not screenshotting the areas that would show your maps off to their best advantage?

edit: Have a look at this thread, which came to my attention since it was recently bumped.  Notice how nice and interesting the areas in the screenshots are even though they're emulating maps from the early 90s.  Now yours obviously won't look exactly like this because they're emulating E1 and you'd be emulating TNT.  But it's an example of how vanilla wads, or tributes to vanilla wads, needn't look boxy or repetitive.

Maybe u can play the wad before say this (?)

8 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

It's pretty ambitious to make an entire megaWAD by yourself, so best of luck to you.

Thank u So much, and yep, is a lot of Work. 

16 hours ago, Veemon said:

Maybe u can play the wad before say this (?)

This implies that there are places in your maps that you think look more attractive than the ones you chose to screenshot.

So why didn't you screenshot those?

Please take this as potentially constructive criticism: when you post screenshots in the announcement thread for your maps, you are trying to build hype and hook people.  You really want to put your best foot forward, as the saying goes.  That is what will actually get people to play your wad!  If you don't want to do that, why should I want to play it?

The "RTX on/off" joke is already enough to warrant a like.. I'm out of likes for the day. Haven't dug too far into this, but it looks pretty cool and retro at a glance!

9 hours ago, jerrysheppy said:

This implies that there are places in your maps that you think look more attractive than the ones you chose to screenshot.

So why didn't you screenshot those?

Please take this as potentially constructive criticism: when you post screenshots in the announcement thread for your maps, you are trying to build hype and hook people.  You really want to put your best foot forward, as the saying goes.  That is what will actually get people to play your wad!  If you don't want to do that, why should I want to play it?

men, again, play the wad, a wad isnt only good looking, a good wad is good game design, good fights, etc. If u only looks the aesthetic, i think you havea very shallow think of what is a wad.

35 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

The "RTX on/off" joke is already enough to warrant a like.. I'm out of likes for the day. Haven't dug too far into this, but it looks pretty cool and retro at a glance!

unknown.png.dc8614a5a9a5225f1fe11dee56528cc8.png And have more tiny details XD

Spoiler

Beep Boop

532587745_DesktopScreenshot2021_06.17-23_07_32_18.png.96da8720b1711feede5d3a972c401302.png

2098942747_DesktopScreenshot2021_06.17-23_36_38_29.png.475a0ffb6cbcb69e9c49d206c3cffb0f.png

Regardless of whether I like your project or not, you deserve more courtesy than me just perpetually negging in your thread, so I'll frame my point one final way and then get out.

already have a backlog of recently released maps and episodes that implicitly promise competent gameplay and show me enticing screenshots: Ascent of Titan, URE (vanilla episode btw), Perpetual Powers, Thy Flesh Vored.  Some of these stretch the definition of "recently released" a tiny bit but the point is there; I have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to Doom content.

Your screenshots don't need to look like they were made by Skillsaw or Bridgeburner in order for me to be interested.  They do need to demonstrate at least a bit of 2021 design sensibility, even if that means 2021 standards for vanilla levels!

Now if you had said something like 'those screenshots don't represent the maps very well, can you please try them out and see if there are some areas that look better' I would have still tsked at you for being silly and taking poorly representative screenshots, but I would also have been much more likely to take you up on it.  Instead what I got is (paraphrased) 'yeah I know a lot of my screenshots look visually dull but gameplay is also important', to which I say

image.png.3f5f05e3b9d823cf868297e58cfc10b8.png

e: one last quick edit because I forgot to mention Cydonia which is literally a tribute wad to the other part of Final Doom and which... well, go look at it.

On 6/18/2021 at 7:16 AM, jerrysheppy said:

As soon as you say "Don't take this the wrong way", it means you already know that your comment can be taken the wrong way. It's like when someone says "No offense, but ..." and then says something offensive, as if prefacing it with a warning somehow makes it ok. Your comment immediately comes off as antagonistic and unwelcoming. For someone who was telling another member that their comments lacked a "dose of grace" in another thread, you certainly demonstrated how not to behave to a new mapper in this one.

I'll give this a playthrough continuously on UV.

Map 1: Pretty challenging for an opening map. The switch through the blue door reveals a lot of enemies at once, so it's quite easy to die there. I didn't realise there was a SSG in the final area, as when the last set of enemies are revealed and there's an AV that can attack you, it's probably more normal to retreat than to go forward. I didn't work out how to get the SSG that was inside the base, but it would have been very useful considering how many enemies there were. Possibly that could be made easily accessible, as the rest of the map is still fairly challenging even with it. You have two Green Armors, which despite the difficulty is maybe excessive for the first map. Though if the rest of the maps continue to increase in difficulty and you have multiple placements of armour per map, then maybe it isn't. The fact there were some dynamic map elements (some raising/lowering pillars) was a nice surprise.

Map 2: The Map 2 TNT resemblance is very strong here (maybe a little too strong) and this played liked a more difficult version of it. The start is again challenging, though I don't really have too much else to say on this one, other than from a Pistol start it would be incredibly tough.

I'll carry on with the other maps soon.

1 hour ago, Degree23 said:

As soon as you say "Don't take this the wrong way", it means you already know that your comment can be taken the wrong way. It's like when someone says "No offense, but ..." and then says something offensive, as if prefacing it with a warning somehow makes it ok. Your comment immediately comes off as antagonistic and unwelcoming. For someone who was telling another member that their comments lacked a "dose of grace" in another thread, you certainly demonstrated how not to behave to a new mapper in this one.

I'll give this a playthrough continuously on UV.

Map 1: Pretty challenging for an opening map. The switch through the blue door reveals a lot of enemies at once, so it's quite easy to die there. I didn't realise there was a SSG in the final area, as when the last set of enemies are revealed and there's an AV that can attack you, it's probably more normal to retreat than to go forward. I didn't work out how to get the SSG that was inside the base, but it would have been very useful considering how many enemies there were. Possibly that could be made easily accessible, as the rest of the map is still fairly challenging even with it. You have two Green Armors, which despite the difficulty is maybe excessive for the first map. Though if the rest of the maps continue to increase in difficulty and you have multiple placements of armour per map, then maybe it isn't. The fact there were some dynamic map elements (some raising/lowering pillars) was a nice surprise.

Map 2: The Map 2 TNT resemblance is very strong here (maybe a little too strong) and this played liked a more difficult version of it. The start is again challenging, though I don't really have too much else to say on this one, other than from a Pistol start it would be incredibly tough.

I'll carry on with the other maps soon.

Thank u for ur words and ur Feedback :3 and this how u obtain the SSG early

ezgif-2-f78f356d00fd.gif.4c15f3e60e1fd674187fe9f2c1ac9ea5.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEIeKBkCdc8

And here a video of a random map

Since you are a Spanish speaking person I would suggest that you write all of the text in this wad in Spanish. Other authors have posted wads in Spanish as well as Japanese and others. Everyone here will play your wad regardless of what language the text is written in (I know I will). Anyways just a suggestion these maps are great by the way I can't wait for the full release.

These levels are pretty difficult with nice homages to original levels! I'm having a nice blast through them though. MAP06 is my favorite so far.

small hint: you can include GAMEINFO lump into your wad, with the following line:

IWAD = tnt.wad

then ports with GAMEINFO support will load TNT automatically.

p.s.: also, please, don't use subdirectories in zip. if you'll put everything at the root, it will be possible to run your zip without unpacking it.

3 hours ago, ketmar said:

small hint: you can include GAMEINFO lump into your wad, with the following line:

IWAD = tnt.wad

then ports with GAMEINFO support will load TNT automatically.

p.s.: also, please, don't use subdirectories in zip. if you'll put everything at the root, it will be possible to run your zip without unpacking it.

Got it, i fix that this night

I fix the stuck revenants in map 07 the fixed wad is on the post. Same file and i delete the subdirectory in the zip. And left all the files in the Root of the Zip. Enjoy.

1 hour ago, Veemon said:

i delete the subdirectory in the zip

thank you! now only GAMEINFO left, and your pwad will run in most ZDoom-derived sourceports without asking users to select the proper IWAD. ;-)

1 hour ago, ketmar said:

thank you! now only GAMEINFO left, and your pwad will run in most ZDoom-derived sourceports without asking users to select the proper IWAD. ;-)

I do that tomorrow XD , i found another two monsters Stucks, since i change the nodebuilder to do this beta i found a lot of monsters stuck, i m fixing that type of minnor bugs. If someone found another weird stuff in some map, please tell me here in this thread. 

also, sorry for no gameplay feedback: i downloaded the lastest thing, but not yet played it. but your screenshots definitely look interesting! ;-)

1 minute ago, ketmar said:

also, sorry for no gameplay feedback: i downloaded the lastest thing, but not yet played it. but your screenshots definitely look interesting! ;-)

I m updating always the file in the mirror and the file in the thread. 

a-a-and here's my first bugreport: texturing bug in map01: linedefs 236 and 238 are missing lower textures. also, i'm not sure, but linedefs 567, 577 and 572 seem to miss lower textures too. it may not be immediately visible, but it's still a small bug, i believe.

Just now, ketmar said:

a-a-and here's my first bugreport: texturing bug in map01: linedefs 236 and 238 are missing lower textures. also, i'm not sure, but linedefs 567, 577 and 572 seem to missing lower textures too. it may not be immediately visible, but still a small bug, i believe.

Screen shot?m to see

here it is:

Spoiler

tafe83.png

there should be no sky at the crosshair. it is actually HOM effect due to missing lower textures. the alcove with a chaingunner (linedefs 567 and so) has the same thing too, but it's much harder to see, because you cannot go low enough.

p.s.: also, wouldn't it be better to make the glass at the picture above as completely blocking, so it will be impossible to shoot through it? otherwise with freelook enabled i can snipe alot of monsters in the courtyard.

2 minutes ago, ketmar said:

here it is:

Hide contents

tafe83.png

there should be no sky at the crosshair. it is actually HOM effect due to missing lower textures. the alcove with a chaingunner (linedefs 567 and so) has the same thing too, but it's much harder to see, because you cannot go low enough.

Fixed. Thank u . Updating the Wad in the Thread.