Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rfomin

UMAPINFO Appreciation Thread

A couple I made for Kaiser's old Console Doom partial conversion. The first is always meant to be loaded because it contains all the CWILV## lumps, but if you load the second one afterward, is divides the maps into episodes based on what game or wad they're originally from, then puts them back in chronological order and makes the intermission texts more accurate. On its own, the first one should be faithful to the experience you'd get playing the original conversion in a ZDoom family port.

EDIT: I updated it so that the second has labels indicating which slot a map originally occupied.

cdoomumi.zip

Edited by SiFi270

Ive been supporting UMAPINFO a lot more recently. Wrote my own patch for Ancient Aliens today, and one for Whispers of Satan a few days ago. A lot of the older wads that say 'secret levels for ZDoom only' are opened up to a lot more ports with UMAPINFO, as the only thing 'ZDoom only' about them was needing MAPINFO, and almost all modern ports support some form of that now. I even got 2002 ADO's 'ZDoom only' soundtrack working in the Unity port due to DMAPINFO.

If theres one thing I think UMAPINFO needs in any future updates, its a clear inventory flag, so that pistol starts can be defined without relyingon clumsy immersion-breaking death exits (that can occasionally be survived)

I'm especially having simple fun with the Label tag from revision 2.0, it lets me do stuff like change Eternal Doom's Map 31 to say 'Level 16' because it is a mandatory map, Eternal Doom HAS no secret maps. Scythe, Scythe 2, Scythe X and Ancient Aliens now have the tried and true ExMx format instead of MAP/LEVEL too. Just looks a lot nicer to me. I might do one for BTSX too that changes the Hub maps to say HUB: instead of revealing whatever level it is, makes the hub a bit more believable.

3 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

If there’s one thing I think UMAPINFO needs in any future updates, its a clear inventory flag, so that pistol starts can be defined without relying on clumsy immersion-breaking death exits (that can occasionally be survived)

I strongly second this. Reset health and reset inventory are immensely helpful in ZMAPINFO and I really wish other MAPINFOs allowed for it.

outrageous bump for a very silly thing, but i've made a UMAPINFO (+TITLEPIC, M_DOOM, etc) for The Lost Episodes of Doom. it includes intermission text that i've adapted from the book's hilarious attempts to string together some sort of narrative through Klie and Carter's maps. just load it after JPTR_V40.WAD.

lostdoom.png

LOSTDOOM.zip

I actually made a similar one myself, based on my Unity Port conversion. I just...tend to not actually upload mine. (Mostly because the moment I do, I find ive broken the whole damn thing with a missing character or some other code error)

On 8/23/2021 at 1:31 PM, Devalaous said:

So far I have small xINFO patchs for, in varying stages of completion:

• Crossing Acheron and Dante's Gate (Level names, packaged with Master Levels Upgrade)
  • Jim Flynn's Titan series, Interdiction Zone and the Doom 1 versions of his Enigma episode (Level names, packaged with Master Levels Upgrade, I'm thinking of assembling the Doom 1 maps into a Doom 1 Enigma episode for personal use)
  • Sverre Kvernmo's Cabal series (Level names, packaged with Master Levels Upgrade)
  • Kick Attack (both versions), and a copy of both with the custom assets stripped (It looks and feels a lot better as a regular level, you could include it in Master Levels easily)
  • Fava Beans (Adds level names, integrates the bonus wad)
  • Final Gathering (Level names, ends game at Map 6)
  • Vrack (Level name, stops progression past map 1)
  • Trooper's Playground (Adds level names and stops progression into stock maps, the bonus map and DM maps are additional selectable 'episodes')
  • Master Levels, both in combined form (PSN release, Doom BFA assembled megawad) and original loose levels
  • Master Levels rejected maps
  • Hell Revealed Episode 1 (Adds level names, ends game at Map 12)
  • Hell Revealed Full Release (Adds level names, includes the above as an alternate path through the first 11 maps)
  • Hell Revealed 2 (Widescreen graphics, level names)
  • Memento Mori (Widescreen graphics, level names)
  • Memento Mori 2 (Includes widescreen graphics, level names, adds the two supersecret maps as an episode)
  • Alien Vendetta (Includes widescreen graphics, level names, re-adds Valley of Echoes, making it a 33 map megawad)
  • Hadephobia (Fixes music issue, adds ingame names to bonus maps and makes them selectable on the menu)
  • Requiem (Widescreen graphics, level names)
  • Icarus (Widescreen graphics, level names)
  • Plutonia 2 (Widescreen graphics and bonus map selectable)
  • Plutonia Revisted (Widescreen graphics)
  • Syringe (Widescreen graphics)
  • Perdition's Gate (Widescreen graphics)
  • 10 Sectors Part 2 (Adds impromptu level names based on the wad files, adds Map 31 and 32 to the main level progression)
  • Eternal Doom (Adds level names, widescreen graphics)
  • (Ultimate) Doom the way id Did (Widescreen graphics)
  • Doom 2 the way id Did (Widescreen graphics, custom integration of midtwid2)
  • Doom the way id Did Lost episodes (Widescreen graphics)
  • Scythe (Adds level names, widescreen graphics)
  • Scythe 2 (Adds level names, widescreen graphics)
  • Doom 64 for Doom 2 (widescreen graphics, bonus map selectable)
  • Deathless (Widescreen art for the non-official version)
  • Sigil (Widescreen ratiocorrected art)

As you can see, I put a LOT on my plate.

How many of these have you completed/have gotten completed elsewhere since writing this? asking since I got some time and working on that Perdition's Gate umapinfo struck me with a bug

2 hours ago, No-Man Baugh said:

How many of these have you completed/have gotten completed elsewhere since writing this? asking since I got some time and working on that Perdition's Gate umapinfo struck me with a bug

Almost all of them are in various stages of 'finished' and ive made so many more since then. Ive got a Dropbox folder dedicated to them thats slowly being filled as I test things here and there, an I need to write instructions/credits fiels for each and every one, so it takes a while. Plus, Doom isnt my only hobby, so...

Pretty much all of them have multiple xINFO standards all in one, some have bugfixes, some have widescreen assets, some have additional maps pulled from related sources, etc. I posted the template file ive been using, and three finished ones are linked on my profile page somewhere though.

Just finished a umapinfo lump for Bjorn Hermans & Holger Nathrath's Serenity Trilogy (found here). using the names from each wad's text file and relabeling + reorganizing the episodes, to establish Serenity as the first installment and Infinity as the last, without messing with the wads themselves

doom00.png.de97bd7619850dfc1f110a39011e9474.png

doom01.png.ac3e22d0382e1358454491d3abccb035.png

SerenityTrilogy+++.zip

this zip is also bundled with widescreen intermission screens just for convenience.

idk if anyone made a umapinfo lump for the serenity trilogy yet, but i couldn't find any and I'm proud of what I made

My patch thread here has UMAPINFO for a massive selection of wads, enabling previously ZDoom/Eternity only maps to run in DSDA Doom/Woof, and its become my primary xINFO to work with due to its clean syntax and ease of setting up.

Its also handy that ports will crash if even one character from the UMAPINFO is missing, as it handily points to where the error is, enabling a quick fix.

Somebody should make a tutorial about UMAPINFO. I'm getting into it for a project and it's really cool, but would be much more if I knew exactly what I can do with it and how. Also, some supportt for GZdoom updating the version of UMAPINFO it accepts so that we can get the label option available.

43 minutes ago, DoomGappy said:

Somebody should make a tutorial about UMAPINFO. I'm getting into it for a project and it's really cool, but would be much more if I knew exactly what I can do with it and how. Also, some supportt for GZdoom updating the version of UMAPINFO it accepts so that we can get the label option available.

You might try this tool which guides you through using UMAPINFO in a graphical way.

6 hours ago, JadingTsunami said:

You might try this tool which guides you through using UMAPINFO in a graphical way.

Ive been using your tool, JadingTsunami. I've used it to create the basis of my wad's UMAPINFO lump, and then I edited it manually to fix some things that were wrong or out of order. Since you're here, I can give you a suggestion. Sometimes, when packing a wad, someone will submit an earlier map after a later map, for example, you have maps 03-05 but not maps 01 and 02. Using your tool, you can only add them linearly. Would it be possible to implement a reordering tool? Little arrows that allow us to move the map up or down the order. I did this part manually on Slade, but it would be cool if your program had that feature. Don't know how hard it is to implement, or if it's already there and I missed it entirely.

4 hours ago, DoomGappy said:

Ive been using your tool, JadingTsunami. I've used it to create the basis of my wad's UMAPINFO lump, and then I edited it manually to fix some things that were wrong or out of order. Since you're here, I can give you a suggestion. Sometimes, when packing a wad, someone will submit an earlier map after a later map, for example, you have maps 03-05 but not maps 01 and 02. Using your tool, you can only add them linearly. Would it be possible to implement a reordering tool? Little arrows that allow us to move the map up or down the order. I did this part manually on Slade, but it would be cool if your program had that feature. Don't know how hard it is to implement, or if it's already there and I missed it entirely.

You shouldn't need to manually fix anything generated by the tool, and there shouldn't be any need to reorder maps either. The order they appear in the file should not affect any functionality. If you have specifics do please post them in the tool thread and I can address them from there.

2 hours ago, JadingTsunami said:

You shouldn't need to manually fix anything generated by the tool, and there shouldn't be any need to reorder maps either. The order they appear in the file should not affect any functionality. If you have specifics do please post them in the tool thread and I can address them from there.

I'm sorry, it really is unnecessary to reorder stuff, but it's nice to have the option of putting all the maps in the correct order nonetheless. I guess I'm just very nitpicky about the small stuff, which has its upsides and downsides. Anyways, love your tool, it's really useful specially for learning the correct syntax of UMAPINFO. Thanks!

Hello. I made a UMAPINFO wad file for STRG.wad selection screen, based of the DoomWiki page of it.
strg_um.zip
strg_um.wad contains the episode selection screen + the bonus episode map33.
strg_um_clean.wad only contains the episode selection screen WITHOUT map 33 in episode selection

Here are some of the assets I made using pre-existing assets within STRG.
M_EPI1.png.96de799c79529a2643f96efd1fa908b8.png
M_EPI2.png.b75bd9328987345e5137aad941d33523.png
M_EPI3.png.c1efe6df0157b64febaa50de9cc98cea.png
M_EPI4.png.6aafec6e12bb48b05a4d45cd29fc5ba0.png
 M_EPISOD.png.7896981d1ed5b7839e7bd84b4d54d1c7.png

STRG_an.png.503d91d31752d8e0035d3042ea52ebfa.png
STRG_letterB.png.ab7196dcd1004599e928c111b1f0d0d3.png
STRG_letterY.png.2eec47e4f8a1ea86914ea94d2ce8bde5.png

strg_um_clean
STRG_um_clean.png.c1f663d20240870fdce92042e5a34b9f.png

strg_um
STRG_um.png.45f6d826891bc3dddd1694e971b6694c.png

Edited by SubZero : edited M_EPI2

Hello. I made a UMAPINFO file for 50shades.wad

Features:
-map16 and map17 intermission texts for source ports like DSDA-DOOM and Eternity
-map18 now causes game to call endpic

Download: 50shades_um.zip

Note: I had to edit the intermission text of map16 from what it originally looks like in GZDoom so that it fits the screen on DSDA-DOOM and Eternity.
map16 intermission text string of original GZDoom format:
intertext =
    "THE ILLUSTRIOUS MR. GRAYTALL TOPPLES INTO",
    "A HEAP OF LOVE AND THROBBING CONCRETE, A",
    "PAINED EXPRESSION PLASTERED ON HIS INNOCENT",
    "FACE.",
    "HOW COULD YOU.",
    "HE COULD HAVE GIVEN YOU THE WORLD AND",
    "EVERYTHING IN IT; YOU COULD HAVE BEEN",
    "HAPPY TOGETHER. BUT THE DEMONS HAD OTHER",
    "IDEAS.",
    " ",
    "NOW THE TATTERED STRANDS OF BDSM LAY STREWN",
    "ABOUT THE GALAXY, THE MESSY AFTERMATH OF",
    "YET ANOTHER ATTEMPT TO UNDERMINE HUMANITY",
    "AND SOW THE SEEDS OF DARKNESS. CREDIT TO THE",
    "DEMONS, THEY ARE GETTING MORE INVENTIVE, BUT",
    "THE PLAYING FIELD HAS OPENED UP TO REVEAL",
    "A NEW AND PAINFUL CONFLICT. THE RULES OF THE",
    "GAME HAVE CHANGED.",
    " ",
    "NEXT TIME THEY RETURN, YOU'LL BE WAITING WITH",
    "A BAT."

map16 intermission text on DSDA and Eternity respectivelymap16_DSDA.png.d7e5179c1f45320259f928ba90156bf9.pngmap16_Eternity.png.066ee0fd55ccdb1614957cad80f6bbb9.png

map17 intermission text on Eternity and DSDA respectively
map17_Eternity.png.71f86810d648bc01b1f8fb80b3b9f1be.png

map17_DSDA.png

@rfomin just an update here: Ancient Aliens is not called aaliens.wad but aaliens_v1_2.wad (inside the aaliens.zip), tried to load it and I had to check the name. Thanks for these files, awesome stuff.

mapinfo.zip

Edited by CacoKnight

Sorry to intervene with a technical aspect, but would it be better to move this thread to the 'Mods & Resources' forum? Devalaous's QoL patches thread is there and it contains similar kinds of content so I thought that would make more sense.