Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rfomin

UMAPINFO Appreciation Thread

On 12/10/2021 at 12:00 AM, khades said:

For some reason Evilternity Umapinfo act up with DSDADoom (checked only in dsdadoom), teleports to level 16, instead of 31 from secret exit on map 15, while showing proper after level text. Had to patch it up.

Should we make some github repo for that?

Thanks for the heads up! I can confirm PrBoom-PlusUM also fails to load the secret level however Woof works fine. I just made a new line on #79 with nextsecret = "MAP31" and it now works in DSDA, PrBoom+ as well as Woof still. If it helps @rfomin I've attached a fixed version to update the mapinfo.zip. eviternity.wad-fix.zip

2 hours ago, rfomin said:

Official MASTERLEVELS.WAD doesn't have sky textures. You can copy and rename sky textures from individual PWADs. In general, UMAPINFO is not well suited for Master Levels.

That's what I did. So far, I've gotten it to work in PrBoomUM, but not with Woof or Crispy via DMAPINFO.

1 hour ago, HackNeyed said:

Thanks for the heads up! I can confirm PrBoom-PlusUM also fails to load the secret level however Woof works fine. I just made a new line on #79 with nextsecret = "MAP31" and it now works in DSDA, PrBoom+ as well as Woof still. If it helps @rfomin I've attached a fixed version to update the mapinfo.zip. eviternity.wad-fix.zip

Thanks for this, I updated mapinfo.zip

Here is UMAPINFO for MASTERLEVELS.WAD from Woof's autoload folder:

Spoiler

map MAP01
{
	levelname = "Attack"
	levelpic = "CWILV00"
}

map MAP02
{
	levelname = "Canyon"
	levelpic = "CWILV01"
}

map MAP03
{
	levelname = "The Catwalk"
	levelpic = "CWILV02"
}

map MAP04
{
	levelname = "The Combine"
	levelpic = "CWILV03"
}

map MAP05
{
	levelname = "The Fistula"
	levelpic = "CWILV04"
}

map MAP06
{
	levelname = "The Garrison"
	levelpic = "CWILV05"
	intertext = clear
}

map MAP07
{
	levelname = "Titan Manor"
	levelpic = "CWILV06"
}

map MAP08
{
	levelname = "Paradox"
	levelpic = "CWILV07"
}	

map MAP09
{
	levelname = "Subspace"
	levelpic = "CWILV08"
}

map MAP10
{
	levelname = "Subterra"
	levelpic = "CWILV09"
}

map MAP11
{
	levelname = "Trapped On Titan"
	levelpic = "CWILV10"
	intertext = clear
}

map MAP12
{
	levelname = "Virgil's Lead"
	levelpic = "CWILV11"
}

map MAP13
{
	levelname = "Minos' Judgement"
	levelpic = "CWILV12"
}

map MAP14
{
	levelname = "Bloodsea Keep"
	levelpic = "CWILV13"
	bossaction = Fatso, 23, 666
	bossaction = Arachnotron, 30, 667
}

map MAP15
{
	levelname = "Mephisto's Maosoleum"
	levelpic = "CWILV14"
}

map MAP16
{
	levelname = "Nessus"
	levelpic = "CWILV15"
}

map MAP17
{
	levelname = "Geryon"
	levelpic = "CWILV16"
}

map MAP18
{
	levelname = "Vesperas"
	levelpic = "CWILV17"
}

map MAP19
{
	levelname = "Black Tower"
	levelpic = "CWILV18"
}

map MAP20
{
	levelname = "The Express Elevator To Hell"
	levelpic = "CWILV19"
	nextsecret = "MAP21"
	intertextsecret = clear
	endcast = true
	intertext = "CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE FINISHED... ",
"",
"MOST OF THE MASTER LEVELS",
"",
"You have ventured through the most",
"twisted levels that hell had to",
"offer and you have survived. ",
"",
"But alas the demons laugh at you",
"since you have shown cowardice and didn't",
"reach the most hideous level",
"they had made for you."
}

map MAP21
{
	levelname = "Bad Dream"
	levelpic = "CWILV20"
	endcast = true
	intertext = "CONGRATULATIONS YOU HAVE FINISHED... ",
"",
"ALL THE MASTER LEVELS",
"",
"You have ventured through all the",
"twisted levels that hell had to",
"offer and you have survived. ",
"",
"The Flames of rage flow through",
"your veins, you are ready",
"for more - but you don't know where",
"to find more when the demons hide",
"like cowards when they see you."
}

You can add skytexture = "lumpname" fields to it.

On 8/23/2021 at 4:31 PM, Devalaous said:

So far I have small xINFO patchs for, in varying stages of completion:

[snip]

As you can see, I put a LOT on my plate.

Earlier this year, when we were under curfew and I had far too much time on my hands, I went through every notable wad I had downloaded with the goal of fixing intertexts and adding map names to every level (looking through it, I have done this to 137 wads...). Because I use GZDoom quite often I made everything in ZMAPINFO. Now I feel stupid, it would've made so much more sense to have all the map names in DEH/BEX and fix the intertexts and add non-MAP30 ends through UMAPINFO instead. It would've still worked in GZDoom but also would've worked with other ports.

Yours is an impressive collection, especially with the widescreen assets.

18 minutes ago, brick said:

I went through every notable wad I had downloaded with the goal of fixing intertexts and adding map names to every level (looking through it, I have done this to 137 wads...).

Upload this please, I can convert it to DEH/BEX and UMAPINFO. I wonder how you fixed the intertexts, wrote your own?

10 minutes ago, rfomin said:

Upload this please, I can convert it to DEH/BEX and UMAPINFO. I wonder how you fixed the intertexts, wrote your own?

Not really, I meant more like removed them entirely in the case where the pwad just recycled the iwad's text completely out of context (easy to do in ZMAPINFO as you just change or remove the cluster references in the map's definition). In some cases I just used what was in the text file (for Ritenour's Pleiades for example, for the Phobos levels, I re-inserted the text blurbs he had written in the text file of the original Phobos release).

I have the ZMAPINFO files all over the places, as each one is in the corresponding wad's zip file. I'll try to get it all organized and send it to you before I get too busy with the holidays. If I don't please bug me about it in after 8 January, in case I forget. It'll be great if this ends up being useful.

Well this didn't take as much time as I thought it would. Turns out about half my modifications were for wads that already had level names assigned through DEH/BEX but didn't have story texts and still erroneously used the iwad's. Using ZMAPINFO I had to painstakingly remove the cluster line from every map definition, but now I realize there's a much easier way to do it with UMAPINFO: just add "intertext = clear" for MAP06, MAP11, MAP20 and MAP30, and use this same lump for all those wads. I like how UMAPINFO just picks the default for any key you don't actively specify.

Anyway for those where I did change more stuff they're all in the attached zip (a good 70-something of them). A number of wads don't have map names at all so I just changed this to the map number (I think there's a better way to do this with UMAPINFO without having it show as "MAP01: MAP01" on the automap). For most of the others I fixed the level names and added an early "Endgame" or an episode start from a specific map if applicable. Some had more work done, I tried to specify what else was changed, such as adding authors for contests (I don't think UMAPINFO can use this though), or adjustment to intertexts (taken from the wad text; I didn't make any of these myself). Alien Vendetta had the par times added to each level. For Pleiades I added the story texts from the standalone Phobos for in-between the Phobos levels and also inserted some of the titlepics of the individual wads as custom interpics - I like it that way but you could ignore those and just use the intertexts.

I only just realized some of these are redundant, eg you have already done Scythe (and I must say I like your added episode selection a lot!). You'll also notice a lot of seminal wads are missing, because I had downloaded the MAPINFO/DEH for them from someone else, whether Nightfright's excellent MAPINFO compilation, a Jimmy or community MIDI pack, standalone fix, etc. They're all listed in a text file in the zip. If you think some would be useful let me know and I'll post where I got them from (I think most are linked on the wiki).

I hope this is useful.

Doomworld ZMAPINFO.zip

There is no author field in UMAPINFO, but I can edit the CWILV graphics and add it there. Or I can change the UMAPINFO spec and make patches for most ports, I don't know which is faster/easier. I'll update the mapinfo.zip in the first post in a few days with your attribution. Thanks!

25 minutes ago, rfomin said:

Or I can change the UMAPINFO spec and make patches for most ports, I don't know which is faster/easier.

Long-term, the latter is better.

I know Eternity supports that in EMAPINFO ("creator" property), GZDoom in ZMAPINFO ("author" property), and Doom Retro in RMAPINFO ("author" property) so there's stuff to piggyback on. (Doomsday also uses an "author" property but there's been no indication that they aim to support UMAPINFO; the Doomsday developers have pretty much stopped coming on Doomworld.)

Hi, can I enable item glow in umapinfo prboom+ fork? And i would really like to have a flashlight. I enabled openGL. Thanks.

Edited by st0jan

6 hours ago, st0jan said:

Hi, can I enable item glow in umapinfo prboom+ fork? And i would really like to have a flashlight. I enabled openGL. Thanks.

This is not the correct thread to ask this.

Still, dynamic lighthing is not a feature on PRBoom+ UM and if it were possible you would need some kind of ZScript or Decorate Script to make a fully functional flashlight.

If you want a flashlight just find a flashlight mod and use it with GZDoom.

In case you have more questions you can go check the Actual PRBoom+ UM Thread:

I was wondering: Is it possible with current umapinfo code to end the game when you take the normal exit of the map, but continue if you take the secret exit?

2 hours ago, NightFright said:

I was wondering: Is it possible with current umapinfo code to end the game when you take the normal exit of the map, but continue if you take the secret exit?

Doesn't seem so. Unlike in ZDoom MAPINFO (where you use the "next" and "secretnext" properties to set up an end of game), in UMAPINFO "endgame" is a level flag.

So instead of having a final map with a secret exit to a bonus map, you will have to have to a not-so-final map with a normal exit to an epilogue map that is the technical final map, and a secret exit to a bonus map that is also a final map.

Woof comes with an autoload file for Master Levels that handles it like this:

nextsecret = "MAP21"
	intertextsecret = clear
	endcast = true

I guess an easy solution could be to have secret exits override any endlevel flags. Maybe something for an upcoming revision. 

Hello, I'm recently learning how to use UMAPinfo and it's fascinated me because I can finally remove the things that always bothered me when playing pwads, the og interscreens text appearing, looking at the automap and seeing Level 1: Entryway, and not properly ending the game when finished the pwad (beingh sent to the next level of the iwad), I know it's silly, but it's something that bothers me.

Does anyone know a good wad that has more than 32 maps and that a UMAPinfo (for practice) would come in handy?

I was thinking of Doom Core Trilogy (77 maps, multiple INTERPICS and similar sutff) but still waiting for the confirmation from the author that it works perfectly in purist ports.

So far im making one for Astroverse Megawad, but that one is still a WIP.

1.png

59 minutes ago, MauryMyers said:

Hello, I'm recently learning how to use UMAPinfo and it's fascinated me because I can finally remove the things that always bothered me when playing pwads, the og interscreens text appearing, looking at the automap and seeing Level 1: Entryway, and not properly ending the game when finished the pwad (beingh sent to the next level of the iwad), I know it's silly, but it's something that bothers me.

Does anyone know a good wad that has more than 32 maps and that a UMAPinfo (for practice) would come in handy?

I was thinking of Doom Core Trilogy (77 maps, multiple INTERPICS and similar sutff) but still waiting for the confirmation from the author that it works perfectly in purist ports.

I'm not understanding what you did, what you expected to happen, and what happened instead. You seem to want to end the map progression after level 1 but it isn't happening. You should post your UMAPINFO contents to get more support on this.

Alternatively you may consider just using this program which will help you interactively create a UMAPINFO you can use.

19 minutes ago, JadingTsunami said:

I'm not understanding what you did, what you expected to happen, and what happened instead. You seem to want to end the map progression after level 1 but it isn't happening. You should post your UMAPINFO contents to get more support on this.

Alternatively you may consider just using this program which will help you interactively create a UMAPINFO you can use.

I dont have problem so far using UMAPinfo. The first paragraph was my thanks for the creation of UMAPinfo, but I guess I didn't say it properly (it's not my native language).

I guess there was confusion with the Doom Core Trilogy comment. Doom Core Trilogy is a recopilation and kinda a remastered version of megawads Doom Core, Reverie and Eternally Yours.

The author is knowing for making mainly vanilla stuff but this one mention in the readme that is targeted to ZDoom, i tested some maps on DSDA (-complevel 2) and they worked fine on it, the problem is that you cant see the interpics and the selection of megawads (You can only play Doom Core) because that stuff use MAPinfo.

So i was planning to make a UMAPinfo so people can play it correctly on purist ports, but since i dont have the time for the moment to test the 77 maps, i sent the author a DM to talk about the maps, if they use decorate and other stuff that would be made it incompatible with the other ports, so i dont waste my time doing it.

Hello, sorry for the double post.

I having problems with the partime, for some reason it dont appear in the lastest version of Woof and DSDA. Any ideas why?

Its for Plutonia 2

Spoiler

map MAP33
{
   levelname = "Chocolate"
   label = "MAP33"
   levelpic = "CWILV32"
   skytexture = "SKY3" 
   music = "D_JP_WAS"
   interbackdrop = "SLIME16"
   endgame = true
   endpic = "CREDIT"
   partime = 120
   episode = "E2TITLE", "Bonus Map", "2"
}

2 hours ago, MauryMyers said:

I having problems with the partime, for some reason it dont appear in the lastest version of Woof and DSDA. Any ideas why?

I noticed this in GZDoom (at least in 4.7.1 back then) as well, I'm guessing the ability to change par times was added in a later UMAPINFO revision and the versions of the ports we're testing haven't updated to this revision yet. Better get confirmation from the maintainers of the ports though.

On 8/23/2021 at 2:31 PM, Devalaous said:

• Master Levels, both in combined form (PSN release, Doom BFA assembled megawad) and original loose levels
  • Master Levels rejected maps

I've always wondered how an unofficial UMAPINFO release of the GZDoom project Works of the Masters would be like for PrBoom-Plus.

Edited by Wadmodder Shalton

My patches took a sort of hiatus, but I was working on them here and there during my community hiatus. One thing I like about the UMAPINFO part, is the 'label' command; I used this to change several maps in mapsets where the secret levels aren't secret but part of the main progression, like Eternal Doom and Vilecore. Now they say 'Level 16' instead of 'Level 31' and the progression looks smoother

@MauryMyers I was just scrolling down the posts and I came across "Demon invasion simulator" lol That immediately caused me to wonder wth this is my wad's thing for sure lol, thanks man you rock

So, I finally got hold of No Rest for the Living on PC. It used DMAPINFO, which I think is not supported by my port of choice (which is not the Unity port it was shipped with).

I wonder, has anyone converted the DMAPINFO lump to UMAPINFO? It doesn’t look that hard to do (so I might convert it myself), but if it was a trivial task, I would have thought it’d already been done.

4 hours ago, Delfino Furioso said:

woof ships with a umapinfo lump for nerve.wad - you can copy that

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/blob/master/autoload/nerve.wad/umapdef.lmp

That worked fine, thank you!

Although I did realize DSDA was able to read some (most of?) DMAPINFO on its own, as I got the level names correct and I guess even the music. Don't know about intermission texts, but I assumed the worst when one of the hell-themed maps had the brown-gray sky of MAP01-11 of Doom 2 in it.

37 minutes ago, RHhe82 said:

Although I did realize DSDA was able to read some (most of?) DMAPINFO on its own, as I got the level names correct and I guess even the music.

DSDA-Doom doesn't support DMAPINFO (it's supported only by Unity port, as far as I know). PrBoom+  and DSDA-Doom have hardcoded partial support for nerve.wad

I just completed a UMAPINFO entry for my upcoming UD megawad allowing Episode 5 to be played in Prboom-Plus. It took a while to figure out but I got there.

2 hours ago, RHhe82 said:

I assumed the worst when one of the hell-themed maps had the brown-gray sky of MAP01-11 of Doom 2 in it.

IIRC the original version that shipped with the BFG edition used sky1 for all the skies, I think some of the ports stuck with that (gzdoom also uses sky1 for all 9 maps). I think sky3 for the hell maps was added with the unity port.