Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mankubus

Mods that are cool but trigger your ocd

There are many cool mods which I could use without changing vanilla gameplay too much but even that triggers my ocd after playing vanilla for the last 1500 years. For instance:

-brightmaps plus: Cool mod that adds brightmaps on textures and sprites. Monsters have bright eyes, I focus too much on that. And while cool, I find odd that certain pixels on textures remain bright in dark areas.

-nashgore and similar: Amazing job on gibs but too distracting. I had to disable the blood splat sounds and basically remove everything except the gib effect.

-high def sounds: I really like these high def sounds by perk but the SSG lacks punch for some reason compared to the original sound

-accurate cacodemon and HK blood colors: i expect the blood to always be red so seeing it blue or green is weird

-randomly flipped monster corpses: looks odd and I expect all corpses to face the same way

-randomly pitched sounds: I expect all sounds to be the same. This and the above work great in Duke3d but I find it too distracting in Doom.

Basically the mods I use are perk's smooth weapon animations, perk's hd sounds, and im contemplating using nashgore with everything vanilla except gib effects.

Of course anything ridiculous that changes the gameplay is out of the question.

Edited by mankubus

The annoying “secret revealed” sound that’s been in ZDoom-family ports since like 1999, an overly loud gong-like sound. Some ports nowadays use the simple “item respawn” sound, which meshes far better.

53 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

The annoying “secret revealed” sound that’s been in ZDoom-family ports since like 1999, an overly loud gong-like sound. Some ports nowadays use the simple “item respawn” sound, which meshes far better.

Oh, that sound wasn't in the original? What sound did the original version of Doom use?

On 2/23/2022 at 6:58 PM, AdNauseam said:

Oh, that sound wasn't in the original? What sound did the original version of Doom use?

the original Doom (and any classic Doom games) doesn't have a "A secret is revealed" sound, nor does it have something that appear when you entered a secret sector. 

Edited by lokbustam257

1 minute ago, lokbustam257 said:

the original Doom (and any classic Doom games) doesn't have a "A secret is revealed" sound, or does it have a message that display something when you entered a secret sector. 

So you neither had a notification via message nor sound? That means you didn't know how many secrets you found before leaving the level? Now that might not be a mod but it most definitely would "trigger my OCD", to keep in line with the threads subject.

Yeah, the addition of a message when you find a secret was a bonus imo. I just never liked the sound for some reason! Some console ports do display the message, but no sound is played.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

Yeah, the addition of a message when you find a secret was a bonus imo. I just never liked the sound for some reason! Some console ports do display the message, but no sound is played.

I used gzdoom exclusively for around a few months and when I went to a more vanilla port I had forgotten that the sound was a zdoom thing.  

back around in 2020, i was used to use this input setup: WASD, mouselook, mouse1 to shoot, spacebar to use. when i played some gzdoom mods, "on gzdoom i used to leave spacebar to jump and E to use" i usually missed jumps by pressing the use key instead of the jump key. and when this kind of thing happend, i used to change the keys to: use on spacebar and jump on alt, then i missed my jumps anyway... -w-" it went back and forth until i just gave-up.

now i just use "e" to interact in every sourceport...

ah... well my ocd... my ocd was having jump enabled at all. >w<" i don't mind it nowdays.

Edited by inflame the dragon

17 hours ago, Doomkid said:

lol, I actually like this sound because it reminds me of the nostalgic dwango5 days since I used zdoom back then

16 hours ago, AdNauseam said:

So you neither had a notification via message nor sound? That means you didn't know how many secrets you found before leaving the level? Now that might not be a mod but it most definitely would "trigger my OCD", to keep in line with the threads subject.

in the original DOS doom I think there wasn't even message or anything. In Duke3d you at least had the "a secret place!" message

btw I added the blue/green blood mods for caco/hk and the random flipped sprite corpses that some ports add as well as sound pitch variation

I'm such a sucker for accurate representation of firearms that there are some mods that bother me A LOT in how they handle that stuff. Reloading mechanics, no "one in the chamber" for various firearms, ammo belts that don't move, magazines that aren't visibly empty when they should... And pumping for the sake of pumping (come on, that's just going to waste ammo).

Also I wish more mods changed armor/health bonus items to not count for the total tally because THAT... Oh boy, THAT is what ruins my life the most about things. The need to collect every single one of those itty bitty items to see all the counters at 100%.

Ok so not a mod issue, but the sound of crushers or raising platforms grates on me.

If I have to spend any length of time in a crusher room it is painful and cycling crushers are the worst as the sounds persist. Sigil E5M4: Paths of Wretchedness is a recent example that was close to unbearable for me. I know I could lower the sound levels but other sounds were fine - just those damn crushers.

21 minutes ago, ImproversGaming said:

Ok so not a mod issue, but the sound of crushers or raising platforms grates on me.

If I have to spend any length of time in a crusher room it is painful and cycling crushers are the worst as the sounds persist. Sigil E5M4: Paths of Wretchedness is a recent example that was close to unbearable for me. I know I could lower the sound levels but other sounds were fine - just those damn crushers.

What I can't stand is the sound of the imp/hell knight/baron scratching me, so I avoid getting into melee range of them if I can. Weirdly enough, it doesn't bother me when they are infighting.

On 2/23/2022 at 2:04 AM, Doomkid said:

As a fun little aside, the first time I ever played Doom using ZDoom way back in the day was with Ultimate Simpsons Doom loaded up, otherwise just playing the Doom II IWAD maps.  Because of this, and the fact that I played like this for a while, I thought that the clangy "secret" sound was from that mod, and while it obviously wasn't too much later that I figured out it was just part of ZDoom, I still associate it with ULSIMPDM on some level.  Honestly the noise fits better with Simpsons Doom and its eclectic cartoony sound effects than it does with actual Doom (where, yeah, I found Crispy's use of the item respawn whizz noise to be much less obtrusive.)

@ImproversGaming I hate hearing the sound of crushers running in an otherwise silent map, and the way they'll suddenly resolve into auditory range.  I have no idea why I find it so unnerving, but I always have.

I'm gonna pick on GZDoom only because I've been using it a lot lately. I know it's not a "mod" but it's designed for modding which makes me obsess over any little detail because I know I can just go in and change it.

The size of dynamic lights, I was compelled to go in and tediously lower each and every one, and desaturate a few of the colors or make it match the source.

Seconding the "A SECRET IS REVEALED!" sound, it's supposed to be a secret yet the sound is loud enough that I'd almost think that it should alert every monster in Hell. And I know it's a short phrase but it feels overly verbose and formal, and makes it seem like the secret suddenly appeared with no intervention from the player. I revealed the secret, dammit, I DID!

This one's just me being extra probably, but the plasma gun not interrupting the fire sound with its death sound drives me crazy. It's already the loudest gun in the game, and it's found a way to be even more obnoxious. What's odd is that it can be "reverted" to its vanilla behavior by copy/pasting the "$limit" parameters to a sndinfo.txt. in a new archive. I don't know how or why that works, but I hope it never gets fixed.

On 2/23/2022 at 6:04 AM, Doomkid said:

At one point, I changed it to Anakin Skywalker saying "yippie!". It really changed the experience of finding secrets.

On 2/23/2022 at 5:04 AM, Doomkid said:

I'm voting for this sound to be it's replacement in the next version of GZDoom