Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aRottenKomquat

[Community Project] - Release candidate 3 available! Alphabet Doom, for Doom 2 limit-removing

@aRottenKomquat MAP04 has been updated

Download

What has changed:

- Purely cosmetic but cool looking techno-lines in the tech area (most important change)

- Default flats changed (I always forget to do that)

- Crates.

- Raised up a rock a little for just a bit more cover from archviles

Original post has also edited the download link.

Edited by spineapple tea

Utilized a cool lighting glitches, and more cool things.

Should be done within a few days, maybe one, maybe seven.

image.png

Got my G done.

Map Slot: Map 07

Map Name: Bowl of Dead Simple Gruel

Mapper Name: Biz! Bee

Midi Used: Nocturne op.9 No.2 by Chopin

Tested Ports: Eternity, and Crispy Doom

bodsg.zip

NOTICE: didn't have time to upload screenshots, I'll get that done tomorrow.

Edited by openxt

12 hours ago, openxt said:

Got my G done.

Map Slot: Map 07

Map Name: Bowl of Dead Simple Gruel

Mapper Name: Biz! Bee

Midi Used: Nocturne op.9 No.2 by Chopin

Tested Ports: Eternity, and Crispy Doom

bodsg.zip

NOTICE: didn't have time to upload screenshots, I'll get that done tomorrow.

Simple but fun. I like it. Punching out the Arch-Vile at the end was immensely satisfying. I died a few times to facerockets from the spiders maneuvering a lot faster than expected, with no time to switch weapons. 

Funny choice of music, too. My Internet radio station has been playing an extreme amount of Chopin this past week. Check in on this project, and there's a submission with Chopin. lol.

Silent Castle will use a custom sky texture, that being the Episode 3 sky from the original Doom. The base city sky texture didn't suit with the hellish map that I will be creating.

Hate to announce this so late but I resigning my spot for X. I've simply just haven't had the time to devote to it due to school and other factors. Sorry.

Though skimming through the the thread, the maps look great so far! Hoping for a fun and wacky mapset at the end :p

On 2/17/2023 at 12:40 AM, aRottenKomquat said:

That was impressive, and totally lives up to its name. Also totally incompatible with my normal "Run in without thinking and fight your way out" approach, which got me killed over and over again until I decided I probably wasn't playing it correctly. Took me probably an hour to beat on UV because of the time spent figuring things out. I wasn't happy with how many monsters I left alive, but as I said this is not the type of map I normally play so it definitely challenged me.

Will be a nice break from the routine as players get towards the end of the megawad.

Thanks for playing!

If you're missing some of the monsters from the kill count (that aren't out of bounds Lost Souls) then you might want to explore some of the alternative switches from the yellow key room - it's probably the most likely reason for people missing kills in the map, if they're going for UV-MAX that is.

38 minutes ago, Ar_e_en said:

Thanks for playing!

If you're missing some of the monsters from the kill count (that aren't out of bounds Lost Souls) then you might want to explore some of the alternative switches from the yellow key room - it's probably the most likely reason for people missing kills in the map, if they're going for UV-MAX that is.

It was more about "I don't have enough health for this, I'm just going to run past them and hope for the best" than not being able to find them. I'm sure I'd do better after a few more playthroughs.

4 minutes ago, aRottenKomquat said:

Nice map. Great use of verticality. Difficulty seemed a bit medium on UV, but it's fine. Having the Arch-Vile respawn all the stuff you killed at the beginning was evil, I love it.

Went to import it into my compilation WAD and found that it's UDMF/GZDoom format, however. Needs to be vanilla Doom2. I'll see if I can autoconvert it but if you used any GZDoom linedef actions the map might not be playable.

EDIT: Not sure how to convert...maybe you can't go back from UDMF?

Hey! Just a quick update on my map, as i'm nearly done with it.

I was thinking about the name "Nothing special", but i'll see if I come up with something soon.

Spoiler

image.png.2095930c7fc7e59b838f29656a35d219.png

Also regarding music, is there a composer making midis for this or do we need to choose a midi ourselves?

43 minutes ago, Norb said:

Also regarding music, is there a composer making midis for this or do we need to choose a midi ourselves?

If you have a MIDI in mind, you can use/submit it. Otherwise @Rorque. has been doing some custom music so you can talk to him if you want something new. Your choice.

13 minutes ago, aRottenKomquat said:

If you have a MIDI in mind, you can use/submit it. Otherwise @Rorque. has been doing some custom music so you can talk to him if you want something new. Your choice.

Oh ok, I would like to use "Easel" by Jimmy Paddock then.

17 minutes ago, Norb said:

Oh ok, I would like to use "Easel" by Jimmy Paddock then.

Sure. Provide it in your submitted WAD if possible, and I'll copy it out of there.

12 minutes ago, aRottenKomquat said:

Sure. Provide it in your submitted WAD if possible, and I'll copy it out of there.

OK!

Map Slot: 14

Map Name: Nothing Special

Mapper Name: Norb

> > > DOWNLOAD < < <

here's a map05/map26 post. They're both pretty simple but each has a gameplay twist-ish. both maps should have doom 2 map23's music (them bones)

let me know what, if any, changes you'd recommend (@ everyone)

MAP05: Emergency Explosive Entitlement

Spoiler

glboom-plus_LoaSfvvG4c.png

MAP26: Zerburk

alphabetdoommaps.zip

Spoiler

glboom-plus_18CH143X2b.png

I'm going to go ahead and extend the deadline another month, to April 7. About half the maps are submitted. I am getting slammed at work so there's no way I'd have time to playtest the new submissions before the deadline even if everything came through right now.

Also, making sure this didn't get lost in the chatter. @DoctorNuriel your map is in the wrong format, it's UDMF but needs to be vanilla Doom 2 and needs to be converted. Make sure to select the "Doom: Doom 2" format in UDB when creating the map. I think you can copy-paste most of the level in and that'll get your geometry, textures, and things in place, but linedef actions and sector specials are unlikely to copy over correctly and will probably need a lot of cleanup. 

Why isn't my map included in the OP? Did I forget to do something? Because that's very possible with my shit memory lol

1 hour ago, Norb said:

Why isn't my map included in the OP? Did I forget to do something? Because that's very possible with my shit memory lol

I'm behind on updating the OP. Might stay that way until next week.

If anyone decides to do another project like this but with numbers, I think they should call it:

"Count down to Doom"

Glad this was pushed back to Apr. 7th, I'm currently on break and am not going to be working on anything for the time being. Thanks!

Okay finally this is done. this map is mid i apologize in advance

Map Slot: 12
Map Name: Lowly Limbo
Mapper Name: Vladguy

MIDI: Intermission From Doom (HQ)

(also included a replacement midi in case og author doesn't want it - "AC/DC - Cover You in Oil")

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20230310_201040.png.47306d74dd839b5936e58e30fa38cc89.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230310_201111.png.0caab7cf7d63b92997a4249853120d13.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230310_201151.png.678c49977949f1d6acb57355c88a79eb.png

DOWNLOAD LINK

Edited by Vladguy

Map Slot: 09

Map Name: Ignited Irony

Mapper Name: Engired

Screenshots:

Spoiler

G6e9Tij.png

APEyW5y.png

OrSqO97.png

Midi: Necrofantasy

Notes:

Spoiler

I probably should have submitted this a little earlier, but it's all done now. Hopefully it plays okay, especially since it's just a straight line. It's also quite an abstract 'i', so I hope that's okay.

Download: 9IEngired

On 2/25/2023 at 5:22 PM, DoctorNuriel said:

Here's my submission for MAP25 (Y):

"Yesteryear"

alphabetdoom_doctornuriel_y_map25_YESTERYEAR.zip

Screenshot_Doom_20230225_163918.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230225_163932.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230225_163940.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230225_163955.png

Screenshot_Doom_20230225_164022.png

I've gone ahead and copied over the linework and fixed up the linedefs and sector types to hopefully make it compatible - made some tweaks to the map itself too (more difficult). Let me know if I missed anything! :)

alphabetdoom_doctornuriel_y_map25_YESTERYEAR.zip