Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jack9955

A lot of Jack

If the color you want to change is also used in a part that you don't want to change, you'll have no choice but to edit each sprite individually to restore the original color in the part you didn't want changed.

I actually wrote down a guide on how to use it.

Of course there's a problem that it is globally applied, so if you want to keep the recolor partial, you'll have to go elsewhere.

What I do is exporting original and edited sprites, put them as two layers into Paint.NET and erase part of one layer to restore original color.

I think GIMP would let you just recolor, but every time I try to use GIMP, I start crying, so that's not an option for me.

So, you blindly clicked some buttons and it has corrected. Are you aware of the changes that were made to correct the sprite, aka, do you know wat was the problem?

kind of a goofy question with answers that can vary but I guess I can try

First

Spoiler

first you'll need to open up doom2.wad in slade, and select all the player sprites and copy them over to your wad

image.png.859e75b564a87d8149b2d4e5e98bf83f.png

Second

Spoiler

once you have it in your wad create 2 markers "ss_start" and "s_end" at the top and bottom of where you placed your sprites
image.png.1b60bec93bf7764ed768683f50ec3203.png

Your final result should look like this

image.png.561d370181ae20acf8da2a0daa17df5c.png

if you don't really understand something or if it's not working watch this video

6 hours ago, ramon.dexter said:

So, you blindly clicked some buttons and it has corrected. Are you aware of the changes that were made to correct the sprite, aka, do you know wat was the problem?

I selected "Monsters" and it automatically fixed the sprites.

The problem is that I selected "Sprite" before.

When can the WAD be considered too big? The WAD I'm making has 300KB, is that too much?

300KB is nothing. I've seen wads with file sizes that approach a full gigabyte. It all depends on a lot of factors: the number and average scale of the maps, the format they're made in, how many custom assets (if any) are used. But just as an example, let's say you're making a medium-scale single-map Boom wad with OTEX. Obviously it'd be overkill to include the entirety of the texture pack with that, which is sadly a mistake I see being made to this day.

What is prompting the question? 

If the WAD is large because it contains lots of custom assets or sounds etc, it can grow to many megabytes, but would certainly not be considered 'too large'. Things to watch for though are including a bunch of unused textures etc. (adding an entire texture WAD contents for example).

If you however mean size of the map/number of linedefs/things etc., then that is more a question of whether you want to adhere to vanilla limits or want to go nuts with limit removing ports.

Different people will prefer sprawling maps or snippet-sized ones, or vanilla, or GZDoom extensions; but that is a personal preference - make what YOU want...

>>>EDIT<<<

@MFG38 beat me to it!

The WAD format has some built-in limits related to the size of the integers used to represent file offsets. Offsets for WAD entries, including the directory, must be positive values that fit in a signed 32-bit integer. This has an upper limit of 2^31 - 1 or 2,147,483,647 bytes. If the final entry is located at the maximum offset and has the maximum size (same range) then a WAD file could be 4 GB in size.

Source: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/WAD

In practice, this is extremely unlikely ever to be an issue. Modern source ports have removed many limits that were reasonable and even necessary in the DOS days of 1993. However, I would struggle to find a way to inflate a WAD's size with valid, useful data even to the 1GB another poster mentioned.

It may impact load times, as the engine needs to load that data into RAM and convert the file contents into the data structures used by the engine. However, I would not expect a wad that was in the hundreds of megabytes or even 1-2 gigabytes actually fail to load due to its size alone as long as the system has enough RAM.

I want to add sound effects on linedefs (When the player crosses the linedef, a sound effect plays)

Do I have to mess with the source code? Is it possible in Crispy Doom?

You'll have to make a dehacked entity that will loop A_Look, assign your sound effect as its "wake-up" sound and then make a setup where a crossing linedef somehow reveals the player to the entity (e.g. opens a closet which contains the invisible, immobile, non-shootable thing) which will then play the sound effect.

Auger;Zenith uses a similar method to add ambient rain sounds in limit-removing compatibility, you can reference that for technique ideas.

So, you really dont know what fixed the problem. So, to introduce you, every sprite need to have a offset. When offsext is x0 and y0, it is below ground, because x0 y0 is located in images upper left corner. So if you need to have the sprite to be visible, y has to be at least the sprite's height.

And selecting "sprite" will just show you how the sprite will look. 

1 minute ago, ramon.dexter said:

So, you really dont know what fixed the problem. So, to introduce you, every sprite need to have a offset. When offsext is x0 and y0, it is below ground, because x0 y0 is located in images upper left corner. So if you need to have the sprite to be visible, y has to be at least the sprite's height.

And selecting "sprite" will just show you how the sprite will look. 

Ok, now I understood.

On 5/17/2023 at 12:33 AM, OmegaCyberdemon said:

If it is a custom .WAD file, select 'Save Into' in the Doom Builder. If it is a .PK3 file, I believe you have to 'Import' the map into the file using SLADE. 

Is there anyway to do this WITHOUT Doom Builder, I personally find it a pain to use and find SLADE to be much quicker

I accidentally added a middle texture to a sidedef and when I try to remove the texture, it automatically returns when I close that window. How can I remove it by force without having to delete the linedef?

Why is this happening? I just added some stairs and now the floor texture is glitching, how do I fix this?

DOOM0001.png.0c50dd067cede3373ab1201b39753b5b.png

The null texture name is a single hyphen character ("-"), not blank. Leaving the texture name blank won't work and isn't allowed.

It is difficult to say from this image alone, but it looks like it's probably a "slime trail". The easiest fix would be to move the vertexes (vertices?) of that line around. If that doesn't work, see about using a different node builder.

Edit: Another possibility is that you have a broken/un-closed sector. Did you try deleting any individual lines in that portion of the map, by chance?

I will try the methods you suggested. If both don't work, then I will be forced to remove the stairs.

14 minutes ago, Jack9955 said:

I deleted a linedef and added another, the sector is closed.

Even in modern Doom map editors, you should generally avoid deleting individual lines. The best way to get rid of unwanted lines is by using the "Merge Sectors" option (shift+J after selecting multiple sectors); this ensures that you don't break any sectors by accident.

In the doom engine, lines are the boundaries for sectors. Single-sided lines are boundaries between the playable game area and the "void", and double-sided lines are boundaries between two different sectors (usually). If you have two sectors with different heights, different floor textures, different brightness settings, etc., lines provide a clear demarcation of those properties - it is where one sector "ends" and another "begins".

Now, in Doombuilder (or whatever editor you use), if you simply delete a line between two sectors, you're erasing that definite boundary, and the editor (and the game) don't know how to handle the transition from one sector to the other.

Example:

Spoiler

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Re-drawing the original line might put things back how they were, but drawing a different line will likely leave the same broken sector(s) present

Extending the example,

Spoiler

image.png

image.png

The TL;DR of it all is just
don't use the Delete key to remove lines in UDB; either use Ctrl+Z to undo drawing a line, use Shift+J to merge sectors (in Sector mode), or backspace on a line to use the "dissolve" function (don't remember if this one's bound by default, so check your UDB key bindings if that's the editor you're using).

It definitely looks like an unclosed sector (though it's impossible to be sure without seeing the WAD itself); you can often fix these by going into Make Sectors mode (M) and clicking on the problem sectors. Note that this may split or merge sectors you didn't intend to, so you should only try this as a last resort and try to avoid creating invalid geometry in the first place.

28 minutes ago, Jack9955 said:

Does making linedefs out of the grid somehow break the map?

No, the editor grid is purely an aid for creating evenly sized and aligned geometry; it isn't used at all by the game itself, either for rendering or any other purpose.

It definitely looks like an unclosed sector

DBX analysis says everything is fine. Weird.

I think I fixed it by making the stairs from scratch, however I will post the WAD here just to confirm the slime trail has disappeared completely (Not even 1 centimeter of slime trail is acceptable!)

Type IDCLEV03 to test the map. The incident occurred at the big room I screenshotted above.

RED3.zip

You can tell me if it's gone.

I'm trying to use a 128x128 texture in 128-high room, however I see some pixels below the texture, is that because I'm using Crispy Doom or is it really tutti frutti?