Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jack9955

A lot of Jack

I found a placebo solution - Adding a sector in the front and making it 8 units higher than the main sector's floor.

Hello, what are the main additions of Boom to Doom? I feel like I'm missing something making maps for Vanilla.

3 minutes ago, SOF2Fragger said:

Try udmf

UDMF is a map storage format, not a feature set. It's to maps what PK3s are to WADs.

I am trying to make the zombiemen attack faster to make them a bit more of a threat, however when I test my PWAD, the BEX patch seems to not work. I am using the latest version of PrBoom+ with complevel 9, if that helps.

Edit: No need to answer, I fixed it by renaming the dehacked entry to "DEHACKED", I forgot to do that.

Edited by Jack9955

11 hours ago, Jack9955 said:

Hello, what are the main additions of Boom to Doom? I feel like I'm missing something making maps for Vanilla.

Vanilla is the original format, with all its limitations, so theoretically you could run such a map anywhere.

Boom can be considered an add-on to the vanilla format, which removes the limitations and brings a number of very useful innovations for mapping. Not to be confused with Limit-Removing, this "format" is essentially only vanilla without restrictions. Boom map can run on these ports PrBoom+, Doom Retro, Woof!, DSDA, ZDoom and quite a few other ports.

I recently wrote a mini "article" on the topic of testing maps and sufficiently touched the subject of map formats and ports, attaching links to additional sources. Read it, I think it will be very useful. 
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2640803

Hello, this door is not opening (not going up) the sound does play but the texture does not move. How do I fix this? I will post my WAD, if that helps.

image.png.4c9362b54e40a721ba0d51398f46ce58.png

image.png.c8e6be343a2f1cebd6ea1ea0f8dcebee.png

asdc.zip

Hmm it does open for me:

image.png.fd7e7280614ccf571776c80258a8ab41.png

Anyway, try using tags other than 0, put a sector tag in the door's sector of 1 or more, then, the same tag number for the lines on the door

I  tested with crispy doom and prboom plus 2.5.1.4

But as I suggested, try using sector numbers for tags other than 0.

So... The problem is PrBoom+

I tested DSDA Doom and the door worked

Edit: Nevermind, the door now works in PrBoom+, what the fuck! I'm not complaining tho

Edited by Jack9955

How can I make the music change when the player crosses a linedef? Is it possible with Boom? Do I have to code?

I think it's only possible with a port which supports scripting, so no to Boom, and yes to code.

Boom can change music during a level but it's not done with linedefs and unfortunately reloading a save resets the music so it's pretty jank. Here's an example of how it's done, the key thing here is that the object which triggers the music change is thingtype 141** where ** is the number of the track as defined in the MUSINFO lump in this wad.

musinfo-example.zip

On 5/12/2023 at 4:36 PM, Jack9955 said:

What is an actor?

heh; actor here is a generic name for any "thing".

player (your visual representation/doomguy) is an actor

cacodemon is an actor

rocket is an actor

Here is the ZDoom.org Wiki entry of stock Doom actors:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:Doom

I'm having an Issue with floor lowering action. There is a Commander Keen hanging next to the floor I want to lower, when he is alive, the floor doesn't lower, when I kill him, the floor lowers. Can I fix it without having to remove Keen?

DOOM00.png.618ab0b7e48dc9e7d6c74ce07779be5e.png

DOOM01.png.33ee3ece23420267eaf1d610410750b5.png

Edited by Jack9955

If you are doing vanilla or limit-removing compatibility, it's probably because there's not enough space for the keen.

In Vanilla compatibility it usually happens when monster is stuck in a wall or under ceiling that is too low. Doom will block a non-crushing sector movement if there's a monster, player or barrel in the way so that they don't get stuck, even if this isn't applicable because the sector is actually widening (Like floor going down). The collision detection is also flawed, so sometimes stuck monsters block sector movement despite being nowhere near it.

TLDR: Try raising your ceiling.

Is ZDoom CL compatible with UDMF? When I load Zdoom: Doom in UDMF Format (UDB) there are like 150 error reports, is it even compatible? ZDoom LE gives no error reports.

6 hours ago, ramon.dexter said:

What the errors exactly say? You know, telling us about errors, while not giving us the exact errors is little bit silly.

image.png.700916eda8ab55e7a0c3d8fee3927c17.png

These errors and warnings have nothing to do with UDMF. It's just UDB failing to parse the DECORATE files, apparently because the parent classes are missing (they may still be hardcoded native classes, I dunno, I'm not familiar enough with @drfrag's many many forks to know what version each one is based). It shouldn't be a real problem, it just means you'll have trouble getting custom actors automatically parsed.

That LOCKDEFS error is odd, though.

Neither Doomwiki nor ZDoom Wiki mention UDMF - and the base ZDoom version 2.1.7 is also definitely far too old to support it, it was released almost 2 years before UDMF came to be.

It is also far too old to have all internal classes declared in DECORATE, this also happened years after 2.1.7, so the errors are hardly surprising.

Just now, Jack9955 said:

What does lockdefs mean?

It is for defining custom locked door types.