Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WorldMachine

DOOM Classic Redux (A Vanilla enhancement for Classic DOOM)

10 minutes ago, WorldMachine said:

Right? It runs in DOSBOX, that's as vanilla and classic as it gets? What more does he ask...

It makes absolutely no difference how vanilla it is and what it runs in DOSBOX. This is not a classic Doom. Or do you want to argue with the official DoomWiki? 
Just stop using official names.

Updated the main page to be up to date, your welcome!

8 minutes ago, Doomenator said:

It makes absolutely no difference how vanilla it is and what it runs in DOSBOX. This is not a classic Doom. Or do you want to argue with the official DoomWiki? 

So lemme get this straight.

From what I am understanding, you think the unmodded experience is "Classic DOOM", and the modded version is NOT Classic DOOM? That's like saying modded Skyrim isn't Skyrim. I agree about the name change, however, I still think this, and loads of other mods for this game is still Classic DOOM at the end of the day! 

3 hours ago, WorldMachine said:

I mean I already have cemented the name...

How about "DOOM: Classic Complete +"?

Or "DOOM: Classic Remastered"? Idk

Btw, were you able to play the new update in Chocolate @OpenRift?

Yes, it works just fine.

I would say something like Doom Extra or something like that would be a decent enough name. Something that conveys that this is a vanilla-plus type mod.

Congrats on the update release!

Did some testing, the mod loos great but it dosen't fully load in Woof! and DSDA-DOOM. CrispyDoom and Chocolate loads just fine. Any idea what could be? Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Auron said:

Congrats on the update release!

Did some testing, the mod loos great but it dosen't fully load in Woof! and DSDA-DOOM. CrispyDoom and Chocolate loads just fine. Any idea what could be? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it's because those source ports for some reason use their own wad that they load everytime, Crispy and Chocolate all run without one. You could try removing the source ports dedicated wad file, but that might break something idk. Always worth a shot however, just make sure to back that wad up beforehand!

2 hours ago, WorldMachine said:

I'm pretty sure it's because those source ports for some reason use their own wad that they load everytime, Crispy and Chocolate all run without one. You could try removing the source ports dedicated wad file, but that might break something idk. Always worth a shot however, just make sure to back that wad up beforehand!

Got it! Also I would like to ask if it's possible a version of the mod without the extra blood splats?

Edited by Auron

30 minutes ago, Auron said:

Got it! Also I would like to ask if it's possible a version of the mod without the extra blood splats?

Is that a little annoying for you? I can revert it for you.

4 minutes ago, WorldMachine said:

Is that a little annoying for you? I can revert it for you.

Is no big deal, I'm just not used to it. If it's not something complicated I would love a version with the regular bloodsplats. <3

2 minutes ago, Auron said:

Is no big deal, I'm just not used to it. If it's not something complicated I would love a version with the regular bloodsplats. <3

Mk, I'll keep this in mind :3

5 hours ago, Doomenator said:

Classic Doom refers to the 4 original Doom games - Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom and Doom 64. What you're saying isn't relevant here.

14 hours ago, Individualised said:

Classic Doom refers to the 4 original Doom games - Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom and Doom 64.

Exactly, Doom Classic Complete, released November 20, 2012, is a download package on the PlayStation Network and Steam containing The Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Master Levels for Doom II, and Final Doom.
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_Classic_Complete
Looks like you're hard starting to get it, or not? 

2 hours ago, Doomenator said:

Exactly, Doom Classic Complete, released November 20, 2012, is a download package on the PlayStation Network and Steam containing The Ultimate Doom, Doom II, Master Levels for Doom II, and Final Doom.
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_Classic_Complete
Looks like you're hard starting to get it, or not? 

You were talking about classic Doom, now you're talking about Doom Classic Complete. Two different things. I agree that calling this mod "Doom Classic Complete" is confusing because it's already taken, but this mod does fit the description of "classic Doom".

Very good mod! I really like the new weapon sprites and such but please fix the monster offsets! The imp replacement looks you just imported the sprites and auto-centered them with no consideration whatsoever.

If you want to take the time and make them look as good as they can, try matching them up with these:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/62403-doom-2-minor-sprite-fixing-project-v20-release-updated-112822/

10 hours ago, Individualised said:

You were talking about classic Doom, now you're talking about Doom Classic Complete. Two different things. I agree that calling this mod "Doom Classic Complete" is confusing because it's already taken, but this mod does fit the description of "classic Doom".

Classic Doom is the official versions of the games. Also the DOOM Classic Bundle oddly enough it's still Classic Doom.
In 1994, Classic Doom included only Doom and Doom II: Hell on Earth. So you're just quibble on the name of different sets of Classic Doom. However, the meaning does not change.
Initially, it was about the names "DOOM: Classic Complete +" or "DOOM: Classic Remastered" which are completely unsuitable, like the name Classic Doom e.t.s. Even if this mod is compatible with the official versions, it's just a mod.

Second @The Almighty Egg here - I am yet to try this mod in DOS with the Boom-progeny house port, but would very much welcome integration of compatibility with the sprite fixing project, which I normally set to autoload with all source ports. Otherwise it's right up my alley of "glove fixing" mods and seems to take care of visual nuisances in the original games, which I very much welcome, and the list of source material looks impressive.

By the way, not sure if Delta still has this limitation, but couple of years ago the zombiemen sprites in Delta had mirrored rotations (unlike sprites from the sprite fixing project). There's however Beta Labs WAD series, that has helmeted zombies with proper rotations - mentioning this in case you are interested in further enhancing your set.

10 hours ago, ludicrous_peridot said:

Second @The Almighty Egg here - I am yet to try this mod in DOS with the Boom-progeny house port, but would very much welcome integration of compatibility with the sprite fixing project, which I normally set to autoload with all source ports. Otherwise it's right up my alley of "glove fixing" mods and seems to take care of visual nuisances in the original games, which I very much welcome, and the list of source material looks impressive.

By the way, not sure if Delta still has this limitation, but couple of years ago the zombiemen sprites in Delta had mirrored rotations (unlike sprites from the sprite fixing project). There's however Beta Labs WAD series, that has helmeted zombies with proper rotations - mentioning this in case you are interested in further enhancing your set.

Hmmm... not sure if I can incorporate the sprite fixing project, but I tried to make sure nothing looked out of place or janky

I can't believe I read the whole thread about the name rather than the actual mod 🤣🤣🤣. Anyway - love your vanilla mod so I'll def try this. The only thing that bugs me quite honestly is the green plasma balls for the plasma gun. I know it's the same ammo as the bfg, but it just feels wrong! Every plasma gun in every Doom game has blue plasma....

On 8/31/2023 at 10:25 PM, WorldMachine said:

Hmmm... not sure if I can incorporate the sprite fixing project, but I tried to make sure nothing looked out of place or janky

If fact after having tried, I don't not immediately see any issues with sprite fixes being autoloaded, so I guess I was concerned too early.

Sharing thoughts on the mod so far.

Imps are cool, but neither the included nor default colormaps do not do them justice in a 8 bit renderer. I would suggest either tweaking the colormap,  or tweaking the spite so that its colors transition between lighting levels look more natural.

Spoiler

etrn05.png.0b10db736e791fb26aa2049db49e3a4b.png

Don't think the "hearts" on the med pickups fit the theme well. Unity uses green crosses for a few years now, so would also work better here in my opinion. Plus I miss the animation of the health bonus. Also, is there a tan "tummy-plate" on the armor pickup sprites now? :)

Not sure you've added sights to all SSG sprites.

Spoiler

etrn10.png.2053e30ce697eb352263532c658b60a6.png

And... why are there red spots on the SMG pick ups, but when you fire SMG these are now green spots instead?

Spoiler

etrn09.png.fb165e070d0e3d908bc8f6b6c14894f9.png

1 hour ago, ludicrous_peridot said:

If fact after having tried, I don't not immediately see any issues with sprite fixes being autoloaded, so I guess I was concerned too early.

Sharing thoughts on the mod so far.

Imps are cool, but neither the included nor default colormaps do not do them justice in a 8 bit renderer. I would suggest either tweaking the colormap,  or tweaking the spite so that its colors transition between lighting levels look more natural.

Hide contents

etrn05.png.0b10db736e791fb26aa2049db49e3a4b.png

Ok... I'll see what I can do about that

Don't think the "hearts" on the med pickups fit the theme well. Unity uses green crosses for a few years now, so would also work better here in my opinion. Plus I miss the animation of the health bonus. Also, is there a tan "tummy-plate" on the armor pickup sprites now? :)

To be honest, I like the hearts more as I think it gets the point across much better, and was never a huge fan of the green cross anyways...

And no there is not, should I add it?

Not sure you've added sights to all SSG sprites.

Hide contents

etrn10.png.2053e30ce697eb352263532c658b60a6.png

Ah, good catch!

And... why are there red spots on the SMG pick ups, but when you fire SMG these are now green spots instead?

Hide contents

etrn09.png.fb165e070d0e3d908bc8f6b6c14894f9.png

Another good catch thank you!

This is some very appreciated feedback man! I thank you! I've never actually caught alot of these mistakes in post so will definitely have to fix these before it starts bothering someone else like it did me originally! I've mostly just been waiting on feedback to come in like yours and the name change as sometimes I get lost on what to do next. Hope you enjoy the mod however and I will deliver the next update as soon as I can! Again, thank you and adios!

17 hours ago, Fuser Marucs said:

I can't believe I read the whole thread about the name rather than the actual mod 🤣🤣🤣. Anyway - love your vanilla mod so I'll def try this. The only thing that bugs me quite honestly is the green plasma balls for the plasma gun. I know it's the same ammo as the bfg, but it just feels wrong! Every plasma gun in every Doom game has blue plasma....

I know it feels cursed, but it's for the sake of consistency!

On 9/2/2023 at 3:45 AM, Fuser Marucs said:

I can't believe I read the whole thread about the name rather than the actual mod 🤣🤣🤣

I think, using official names for mods is such cheap way to earn some popularity points. Or maybe just the result of ignorance. 
In consequence, somebody may get strike from copyright holders, but who cares, right?

3 hours ago, Doomenator said:

I think, using official names for mods is such cheap way to earn some popularity points. Or maybe just the result of ignorance. 
In consequence, somebody may get strike from copyright holders, but who cares, right?

Bro just let it go, I'm working on it 😭

Leave me alone...

Sorry I haven't posted on a while, took a break from DOOM and modding for a bit, however, I've gotten that urge to delve back into hell, so that means working on my mod too.

Due to... "popular demand", I'm renaming to mod to "DOOM: CLASSIC REDONE". I think it works... but needs feedback (of course). Here's the M_DOOM:

RedoneBIG.png.c386b044ce935411ddd7d3ab3d080244.png

What do you think? I think it gets the point across much better anyway...

Anyways, for @ludicrous_peridot's post about the issues he found in his playthrough, I have some news.

About the Imp question, I'm planning on asking @ShallowB to go and touch it up for your exact reason, as he made the sprites. I'm not an experienced spriter, I only do minor things and touch ups.

And for the SSG sights, i tried to add them, but they looked weird and barely noticeable, and besides, the sight is small anyways, so you could make the arguement that it's being hidden behind that second barrel in the reload animation. But idk.

I've seem to have ran into a problem however.... the Spider Momma! You see, I made it to where she summons a BFG ball upon activate her pain state, BUT, this has presented 2 issues...

Issue 1: To even make her shoot a BFG ball in the first place, I had to use a work around in the dehacked, Where I sacrificed the caco projectile to make it a BFG ball and gave it to the Big Momma, then making the Cacodemon and Imps shoot the same projectiles. I thought this was great, HOWEVER, if you play a wad that has a custom enemy which uses the Caco projectile as it's attack they will shoot BFG balls, which is both funny and annoying, especially if your playing something like, DOOM 64 for DOOM 2.

Now, you could always not play with the dehacked features... and play the game the way God intended, but I know some people probably like to use the dehacked so...

Issue 2: The tracers effect the Mastermind too, so the Mastermind can easily kill itself in many situations, which is again, funny, but could also make alot of fights trivial and stupid easy.

What do you think is a good way to majorly buff the Mastermind? Because I ran out of ideas when i was adding the attack in the first place.

Anyways, that's all from me for now, if you have any questions or suggestions, I'll happily answer!

Until next time!

Classic Redux would also make for a good name, since it's both classic and also a revision. I like these lore friendly designs in the screenshots, I'll have to give this a look, big fan of cosmetic overhauls while leaving gameplay the same.

On 10/7/2023 at 11:17 AM, WorldMachine said:

Before this mod is banished to the god forsaken "Second Page", here's some pictures of the new TITLEPIC and ENDOOM:PSXlikeBEEEG.png.504914d55cd954e91315edda33bac3d0.pngnewENDOOM.PNG.072c1007b378c1c2315df06623ce0900.PNG

Personally, I would highly recommend changing "Re-Done" to "Redux". For my personal tastes, the name of "DOOM Classic: Re-Done" just does not read or roll off the tongue well, its an odd set of words imo.

"DOOM Classic: Redux" has a much better look and feel to it, in my opinion, and would look much better on the ENDoom screen!

Edit: Alternatively, either "Doom Classic: DX" or "Doom Classic: Deluxe" also aren't bad options.

Either way, I am excited for the mod and looking forward to its further development!

What the mod really needs is a much more unique name that gives you a better idea of what it is and doesn't sound like a commercial re-release or a bootleg CD collection of all the IWADs you'd find at a flea market. Something like, Vanilla Varnish or Doom Do-Over (you can nickname it DoDo hehe). Those examples might be a tad silly, but you get the angle I'm going for.

On 10/15/2023 at 6:19 AM, KrazzeeKane said:

Personally, I would highly recommend changing "Re-Done" to "Redux". For my personal tastes, the name of "DOOM Classic: Re-Done" just does not read or roll off the tongue well, its an odd set of words imo.

"DOOM Classic: Redux" has a much better look and feel to it, in my opinion, and would look much better on the ENDoom screen!

Edit: Alternatively, either "Doom Classic: DX" or "Doom Classic: Deluxe" also aren't bad options.

Either way, I am excited for the mod and looking forward to its further development!

Redux and Deluxe don't seem bad! How about DOOM Adventure DX: Directors Cut, lol! (totally not a reference to a specific blue hedgie)

I kid, but DOOM Classic DX doesn't seem bad, as I have alot of nostalgia for Sonic Adventure DX for the Gamecube, so that would add a little charm to this mod I guess!

On 10/15/2023 at 8:51 AM, Biodegradable said:

What the mod really needs is a much more unique name that gives you a better idea of what it is and doesn't sound like a commercial re-release or a bootleg CD collection of all the IWADs you'd find at a flea market. Something like, Vanilla Varnish or Doom Do-Over (you can nickname it DoDo hehe). Those examples might be a tad silly, but you get the angle I'm going for.

(Hehe... DoDo....)

Incorporating a cheeky name would also give alot of charm too! Like DOOM: Vanilla Extract! 

However, I think it all comes down too if I can make a good M_DOOM or not lol! 

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback though! I will very much see what I can do with 

DOOM Classic DX, and DOOM: Vanilla Extract in the mean time!

Toodaloo! ♥️