Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
General Roasterock

Alcazar [6 Halloween Boom Maps]

Love the colors and textures! And an interesting, unusual theme as well. Good job, you guys! 🧡💜

I really like the look of these maps! I think maps focusing on these colors can easily look garish, but you've managed to avoid that with the deep hues, moody lighting, and earthy tones balancing out the highlights. (I realize that applies to Wormwood as well, so I guess what I'm saying is that you've done a great job carrying on the aesthetic.)

Spoiler

Interesting to see the jump orbs here... can't comment on how it plays since I have yet to spend much time with the WAD, but I like to see elements of Jumpwad spreading elsewhere.

Really fun wad, i hope i can find a demo or a youtube video for the last map.

Beautiful maps, difficult fights, all the stuff i like !

18 hours ago, Hasamnas said:

Great set, got jumpscared by a random caco near the ending of map 05

That's hilarious, how he even managed to go all the way there xd

I will probably monsterblock it though to prevent maxers from spending 20 minutes looking for the adventurous caco like this one.

I have this downloaded, will likely play it even though spoop season is done.

Are you supposed to jump in map06? I'm kinda stuck in that map trying to use only the jump orbs. I can only get so far, most precisely when you get close to a bridge you can't get under.

1 minute ago, Muleke_Trairao said:

Are you supposed to jump in map06? I'm kinda stuck in that map trying to use only the jump orbs. I can only get so far, most precisely when you get close to a bridge you can't get under.

No advanced port features like jumping or crouching (or even freelook) are needed. In fact, they may break some maps, so they shouldn't be used.

Not sure what bridge do you mean, but if you post a screenshot I may give a hint/advice about intended progression.

12 minutes ago, Ravendesk said:

No advanced port features like jumping or crouching (or even freelook) are needed. In fact, they may break some maps, so they shouldn't be used.

Not sure what bridge do you mean, but if you post a screenshot I may give a hint/advice about intended progression.

I usually don't ask for directions, and I think I'm missing something right on my face. A hint would be really appreciated, thank you, Ravendesk!

I'm running the WAD with GZDoom 4.11.3.

This is the bridge I was referring to:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20231104_161014.png.cab66946c27aa63b2141d54b53518f37.png

2 minutes ago, Muleke_Trairao said:

This is the bridge I was referring to:

Spoiler

You need to walk on the wooden platforms along the side of the bridge to get to the other side of the building and then do a series of jumps there:

image.png.25e8d5f0f4a76a24dc94a1862583ee40.png

Might be worth noting that this series of jumps may not work correctly if infinite monster height is disabled, so double-check that as well.

7 minutes ago, Ravendesk said:
  Reveal hidden contents

You need to walk on the wooden platforms along the side of the bridge to get to the other side of the building and then do a series of jumps there:

image.png.25e8d5f0f4a76a24dc94a1862583ee40.png

Might be worth noting that this series of jumps may not work correctly if infinite monster height is disabled, so double-check that as well.

My response is below:

Spoiler

I remember getting to this part and having trouble getting to the top with that one jump orb. Thought it was for a secret or something.

I restarted the map with the "Boom (Strict)" compatibility setting turned on and checked if "Actors are infinitely tall" was set to "Yes". Unfortunately, I still can't get to the top. That jump orb only gives me enough height to reach the first platform on the left. If I fall on top of the orb, I still don't get enough height. I also disabled all of my mods to make sure something wasn't tinkering with the intended progression.

9 minutes ago, Muleke_Trairao said:

My response is below:

That's how this part is intended to be done:

Spoiler

If this is not working for you, that would unfortunately mean that it's a gzdoom compatibility problem, and in that case I can only recommend switching to dsda-doom for this particular map.

5 minutes ago, Ravendesk said:

That's how this part is intended to be done:

Reveal hidden contents

If this is not working for you, that would unfortunately mean that it's a gzdoom compatibility problem, and in that case I can only recommend switching to dsda-doom for this particular map.

Oh... then it's something about GZDoom, yeah, because I triple-checked my comp settings.

I've seen your video now. Thank you for all the help and patience, Ravendesk!

2 hours ago, Muleke_Trairao said:

Oh... then it's something about GZDoom, yeah, because I triple-checked my comp settings.

I've seen your video now. Thank you for all the help and patience, Ravendesk!

Ok, tested it myself with gzdoom now and this is indeed the behaviour even with boom (strict) and infinitely tall monsters. Indeed if you want to play this map, you have to use dsda-doom currently.

The way jumporbs work is that they basically melee attack you when you come close to them, and their melee attack is an archvile attack (btw this is different to how jumprobs are done in jumpwad, where they are just TOUCHY - because jumpwad is MBF, and we are Boom and Boom doesn't have TOUCHY flag for things).

However, I would have expected that infinitely tall monsters should still have infinitely tall melee attacks in strict boom compatibility in gzdoom.

@Graf Zahl Hi. Maybe you can tell, if this is a bug in gzdoom, or expected behaviour?

TL;DR we have dehacked non-solid things (jumporbs) with melee attack that hits the player when he comes close.

In gzdoom player can currently walk over these non-solid things if he is above them without being attacked. In dsda, he is getting attacked no matter the height. We are testing with Boom (strict) compatibility.

Here is decohack code of jumporbs for reference:

Spoiler

thing free 24
thing WolfensteinSS free states
auto thing JumpOrbFloor "Jumping orb (floor)"
{
//$Category User-defined/JumpingOrb
	ednum 84
	Radius 4
	Height 16
	Health 999999
	Mass 100000
  	Speed 0
	PainChance 0
  	ReactionTime 1
  	clear sounds
  	clear flags
  	clear states
	States
	{
	Spawn:
		SSWV AA 10 BRIGHT A_Look
		Loop
	See:
		SSWV ABCDEDCB 4 BRIGHT A_Chase
		Loop
	Melee:
		SSWV I 6 BRIGHT A_VileAttack
		SSWV J 6 BRIGHT
		SSWV K 6 BRIGHT
		SSWV L 6 BRIGHT
		SSWV L 50
		Goto See
	Death:
		SSWV L -1
		Stop
	}
}

1 hour ago, General Roasterock said:

RC3 is out now. All reported GZDoom issues have been handled, and the WAD is now completable front to back in that port.

Download is in the OP.

link isnt public, says i need access.

Hello! I made a page for this mapset on the DoomWiki. Was I right to assume that map07 was made by Ravendesk and General Roasterock, and map08 by Ravendesk? This information is absent from the text file.

And can you please tell me what is the purpose of these last two levels? Unfortunately, I don't have time to play the mapset. :(

8 hours ago, Nockson said:

Hello! I made a page for this mapset on the DoomWiki. Was I right to assume that map07 was made by Ravendesk and General Roasterock, and map08 by Ravendesk? This information is absent from the text file.

And can you please tell me what is the purpose of these last two levels? Unfortunately, I don't have time to play the mapset. :(

Hi. Maps 07 and 08 are ending maps. They have no exits and no gameplay and only serve to show how the story of the wad ends (or rather two possible ways it ends).

It is a bit difficult to attribute them to particular authors because they mostly reuse geometry of other maps, but I think your assumption is fair enough and it's fine to list them like that.

1 hour ago, Ravendesk said:

Hi. Maps 07 and 08 are ending maps. They have no exits and no gameplay and only serve to show how the story of the wad ends (or rather two possible ways it ends).

That's exactly what I was thinking about when warping to these maps and looking at them in editor. Thanks for your answers!