Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
finnks13

[/idgames] Doomed: By the Hour 2 - A Boom megawad of speedmaps by finnks13 & Yumheart

Played up to map04. Really fun set of levels! The jungle/mayan aesthetic is pulled off very nicely, and I'm surprised just how much y'all got done in less than 3 hours!

Looking forward to playing the rest of the set. For now, here's a dsdademo of maps 01-04, played continously, in HMP, and with saves. 00FDA_Bythehour1-4

I did find a HOM in map04, you'll see it in the demo. Hopefully more people play this too, it's worth it :)

Hey everyone, we've made an update to the wad fixing some errors that were highlighted in the playthroughs & demos we've seen so far.

Thanks to everyone who's already checked out the wad, but in particular thank you to @Cacodemon187, @dashlet & @Vile for sharing fdas and doing streamed playthroughs - they were incredibly helpful, and fun to watch!

RC2 Download is HERE and also in the OP.

This wad is really special. Finnks and Yumheart continue to be the community's most necessary dynamic duo! 

Do NOT let this slip under the radar. It's everything the first was but better and more focused, without losing the experimental edge that makes these maps so great. 

Spoiler

But seriously how do you guys make so many maps? You're reaching Myolden levels of prolific lmao

Oh man, between the UAC Crate Project and STRAIN I may have to make room for a 3rd WAD to play before the year ends. So much quality stuff coming out, plus whatever ends up being at the cacowards. As I usually say on topics like these, great job on making something and uploading it that appears to be high-quality, and I will seriously try to find time for this. Speed of Doom is something pretty special to me and screenies sold me so I'm betting I'll have fun with it. :)

I'm back with more FDAs!! This time from maps 05 to 08, ran in the RC2 release with DSDA Doom 0.27.3, in HMP, with a mix of continous and pistol-start playthrough. 00FDA_Bythehour5-8.zip

The quality keeps ramping up, and I was pleasantly surprised by the riveting lore the wad contains. It deserves a novel!

Seriously though, these maps have been really good given the alloted time limit. Found no mapping mistakes this time other than a small misalignment in map07 (just nitpicking lol)

The only things I have some kind of gripe against are the Missile Launcher's animation and the damaging water in the snow episode. The ML looks really choppy and feels like it fires slower than normal. Not sure if that's the case, but it could definitely be improved to be on par with the rest of the new weapon sprites. The damaging water is a bit hard to notice when you're running around shooting shit, it blends very well with the white enviroment unlike other damaging liquids. Not sure how it could be improved, but I figured I should mention it.

Love the Scimitar Goblins and the Brown Zombieguys btw, I'll keep playing through this in the next couple of days :)

19 hours ago, Ludi said:

But seriously how do you guys make so many maps?

Panic mostly :P

2 hours ago, Cacodemon187 said:

The only things I have some kind of gripe against are the Missile Launcher's animation and the damaging water in the snow episode. The ML looks really choppy and feels like it fires slower than normal. Not sure if that's the case, but it could definitely be improved to be on par with the rest of the new weapon sprites. The damaging water is a bit hard to notice when you're running around shooting shit, it blends very well with the white enviroment unlike other damaging liquids. Not sure how it could be improved, but I figured I should mention it.

I'm not 100% sure if the weapon I got the sprites from has any more frames to make the animation look better, but I'll see about making it look a bit nicer despite that (perhaps by making the firing frames last a bit less time so the animation looks less choppy) - though I'm completely out of frames in the dehacked patch, so this might not happen if I can't find any to free up! We could definitely make the damaging floor in these levels a bit more grey, which might help it stand out a bit more?

Thanks for the demos!

31 minutes ago, finnks13 said:

We could definitely make the damaging floor in these levels a bit more grey, which might help it stand out a bit more?

That could work, it's worth a try! It'd be nice to have a smoother animation for the RL but if it's not possible then I wouldn't sweat it. Doesn't make the maps any less fun to play :)

Little report here: Found a softlock/sequence break in map12. Some screenshots of the spot.

Spoiler

doom02.png.056d18a7f5fb833de612765a5c092ab4.pngdoom00.png.d6478a4b6b6296b11bfae469374f1b08.png

Anyways this map theme it's really good. Some sort of post apocalyptic landscape, dystopian realm. Skybox looks awesome.

12 hours ago, dashlet said:

Little report here: Found a softlock/sequence break in map12. Some screenshots of the spot.

Hide contents

doom02.png.056d18a7f5fb833de612765a5c092ab4.pngdoom00.png.d6478a4b6b6296b11bfae469374f1b08.png

Anyways this map theme it's really good. Some sort of post apocalyptic landscape, dystopian realm. Skybox looks awesome.

not sure if that's an issue on my side but I can't view the pics you posted :/

More FDAs! Got through maps 09 to 13, recorded in DSDA 0.27.4, in HMP. 00FDA_Bythehour9-13.zip

Map 13 is my favourite so far, the midi is kickass and so is the map :)

Love the apocalyptic setting too, y'all pulled it off pretty well! The jagged geometry and nonsensical way the buildings are arranged, although product of frantically putting something together in 3 hours, really add to the atmosphere imo.

Excellent maps!! up to Map09 so far.

HOM in map04: not sure if it's the same one found by Cacodemon187, but it exists in RC2.
ADQpd1D.png

Very distracting and consistent double-slime-trail looking thing or potential nodebuilder issue here:
QYbQVFK.png

The offending vertex shown on automap.
6YR0hUQ.png

Hey everyone, got another coooooool update to the wad for ya.

Thanks to @dashlet, @Cacodemon187 & @knifeworld for reporting some bugs, we've fixed everything that's been pointed out here!

Download for RC3 is HERE and in the OP.

Changes:

Spoiler

- The M_DOOM is now the correct one, and not the half-arsed recolour I made ages ago

- Made the animated ice textures a bit more grey so they stand out a bit more hopefully

- Fixed missing textures in m04 & 18

- Fixed the broken monster closets in m31

- Fixed the slime-trail in m06

- Fixed the softlock in m12

- Added an extra BFG to the combat section of m27 to bring it a bit more in line with the rest of the episode

I having fun with this WAD :D
I didn't finish it yet I play it saveless without practice
until map 31.. final fight is really really tough I practice it and I really can't finish the last fight till this time
I actually find out that this map is hardest than anything I played in speed of doom saveless

YOOOOO FINALLY I BEAT MAP 31 SAVELESS
here is the demo.
BYHOUR2DOT-00243.zip

bro It took me alot of attempts to beat this map 
this demo is for RC3

here the failed runs if you want to check it.
FAILS.zip

Also Congrats in idgames release :D

Also maybe I paused a little in the demo but it wasn't in tough fights I just did it because I doin something

4 minutes ago, iDoT said:

YOOOOO FINALLY I BEAT MAP 31 SAVELESS

Congratulations! I hope it was fun :P

The last fight in that map is a bit fucked, so nice job on doing the whole thing in one go! I'll give the demo a watch in a bit :)

Thanks ! 
the map was fun, but I will finish the wad and tell from favorite to least favorite maps
but I'm really having fun with this wad.

Hey ! how you doin guys ?

I just wanted to send another demo for a map that caused me problems, not as much as map 31 and episode 5 of course
But the problem is, I'm not used into platforming at all, and I was scared of cyberdemo's 2 tap section
but I liked the map
I was playing D30 and Bleedthrough megawads that what made me not finish the wad yet

Here the successful run:-

Map 27.zip
and this are the failed runs If you guys are interested

MAP27 Doomed.zip

I hope that map 31 would be the hardest map :D

GG I finished the WAD 
I really liked the WAD

I guess it deserve a Cacoward or Runner Up 
not a 24 for 2024 :D

I just want to send this 3 demos of the final 3 maps
map 28 and 29 and 30
it's in RC3 Doomed by hour 2

I will rank maps from least favorite to favorite

Doomed By Hour 2 Final Maps demos.zip

50 minutes ago, iDoT said:

GG I finished the WAD 
I really liked the WAD

Thanks so much for playing! I'll definitely take a look at those demos :)

I'm really glad you liked it so much :D

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, finnks13 said:

Thanks so much for playing! I'll definitely take a look at those demos :)

I'm really glad you liked it so much :D

No problem bro.
The WAD is actually that good
The demos are not meant to be fast but I just wanted to prove that I beat the maps without saves 

I guess these are the hardest maps in my opinion:- 

Spoiler

number one is the hardest five is easiest

1.Map 31
2.Map 29
3.Map 24
4.Map 30
5.Map 32

6.Map 23
7.Map 15
8.Map 13
9.Map 27
10.Map 05

these are my favorite maps per episodes:-

Spoiler

Episode 1:-
1-Map 04
2-Map 05
3-Map 03
4-Map 01
5-Map 02

Episode 2:-
1-Map 10
2-Map 08
3-Map 09
4-Map 06
5-Map 07

Episode 3:-
1-Map 14
2-Map 15
3-Map 12
4-Map 11
5-Map 13

Episode 4:-
1-Map 20
2-Map 19
3-Map 18
4-Map 17
5-Map 16

Episode 5:-
1-Map 25
2-Map 22
3-Map 21 (The only map I beat with reviving myself after a small mistake)
4-Map 23
5-Map 24

Episode 6:-

1-Map 29
2-Map 28
3-Map 27
4-Map 30
5-Map 26

I may replay this WAD another time
Hope to see you guys in the next NaNoWADmo :D

@iDoT thanks for the ranking! Seeing maps compared like this is always really exciting to me for whatever reason :)
great job with the demos too, I couldn't beat maps 30 or 31 saveless if I tried!

On 4/4/2024 at 9:34 AM, Yumheart said:

@iDoT thanks for the ranking! Seeing maps compared like this is always really exciting to me for whatever reason :)
great job with the demos too, I couldn't beat maps 30 or 31 saveless if I tried!

No problem. I'm the one who thankful for this WAD.
I guess you can of course
But 31 is really really tough It took me alot of attempts I just wonder who made that final fight
I guess that chess fight is made by finnks13 and plasma fight made by you
But that final fight.

also thanks for checking the demos :D