Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[RC5] EVITERNITY II - RC5 Released!

1 hour ago, unraveler said:

any reason for this specific order?

Although there is absolutely no hint about this order throughout the entire megawad, this combination does have a good reason.

ngl, I saw the astral babies in the map when I used IDDT to see if there was an exit somewhere, and kinda just assumed they were used in a contraption to change the music. Didn't realize there was a fight! Nice little easter egg.

Spoiler

I absolutely love the credits easter egg! Since MW2 I've had a fondness for bizarre fights in credit maps. Also I had to laugh when the map just ended after the fight.

Replayed the boss level pistol start and, turns out, I missed a bunch of it when I used the perforator. It's a super fun fight! Also all the music is great but that MAP30 track is something else.

Oof, found my UVmax limit.  

Spoiler

The secret basement crusher fight in map 15 broke me.  I'm terrible at crusher fights to begin with, and that one felt especially fierce.  

21 hours ago, DMPhobos said:

This is a glitch that's happening on GZD dev builds (but also has been reported on stable release when using some compat settings), it's been fixed for RC3 but until that's released, you can idclip to get out of the pit once you kill all the imps

Sorry about that!

It's no problem; it happens, especially with maps as intricate and detailed as this one.

Other than that, fantastic map, btw.

18 hours ago, taviow said:

Not involved with Eviternity 2 beyond playing it, but if you've experienced a softlock then it might be cool to hold onto that save. Might come in handy if they want to take a look later.

Will do, thanks.

Is anyone else getting consistent frame time blips on map 32? It's not causing visible stutters, but it does produce a very slight flickering effect in dark areas when gsync in on.

I've tested this in other large, 2000+ monster maps (like in Abandon and Sunder) and I'm not seeing the same behaviour. Is there anything going on with map 32 that's putting extra strain on the engine? Playing on DSDA. Cheers!

In case you're not already, I'd suggest playing with OpenGL if you're using DSDA.

The reason for that lag is most of the map is constructed out of 2 sided lines, and with the way the Doom engine operates, that means that from some certain angles, over two thirds of the map are being rendered by the engine, even if you can't see it. 😅

The areas where combat is intense within that map are generally better performing though, so with some luck it won't affect actual gameplay all too much.

1 minute ago, Dragonfly said:

In case you're not already, I'd suggest playing with OpenGL if you're using DSDA.

The reason for that lag is most of the map is constructed out of 2 sided lines, and with the way the Doom engine operates, that means that from some certain angles, over two thirds of the map are being rendered by the engine, even if you can't see it. 😅

The areas where combat is intense within that map are generally better performing though, so with some luck it won't affect actual gameplay all too much.

haha nice! I've tested some later Sunder maps and it appears I'm getting the same issue. I'm in OpenGL already, but I guess it's an engine limitation. Also, I'm on a new OLED monitor and apparently they flicker with gsync in dark areas when FPS bounces around.

It's not really an issue since it only affects a tiny number of maps out there and it's not that noticable.

Map36 RC2

1. Many hanging gore sprites near sector 6965 not hang at correct height and some nearly fully render into the "star" section, worse after gaining access to sectors 65, 25 and 66. Also, might be worth making a dehacked patch for Thing Type 61 so it hangs at the "correct" height, not half in the ceiling ( for DSDA ).

2. Minor - noticed that the tex on lines14278 and 14294 for example do not align.

3. Suggestion - At sector 5952 there are 3 cybers. Why not 3 Hard, 2 Medium, 1 Easy.

4. Suggestion - sector 6327 could have been a secret sector. Took me numerous attempts to reach it.

5. Maybe I missed something, but sector 7606 did not lower for me, preventing T2271 from crossing line 12346. ( sectors 3626 and 7447 OK )

Map27 RC2

1. GZDoom - Notice glitch when looking up at sector 1289 for example. Could it have something to do with the height of OSKY01 ?

2. DSDA - Note sky change when walking from sector 1289 to sector 478 for example.

3. Lines 19408 and 19407 should be impassable.

4. Is it possible to get to sector 3636 with the blue armour on it ?

Well done to all for this megawad. Thank You.

Edited by hawkwind

18 hours ago, Azure_Horror said:

Did anyone else felt in a similar way about Necromancers?

Dunno, they are speedy and shoot quite fast projectiles, and spawn things that zap into your face at full speed and are much more pesky than lost souls if you wanted to use rockets. Most if not all fights I found them a mid-high priority, such as in map 28 pretty much because the ghosts were annoying, so my first move was always to rush upstairs and remove him with BFG, which was doable albeit at the cost of some health lose - it was tricky to follow his high speed (keyboarder here!), because also the NM cacos would catch me and they did a number of times, but that isn't the only nor the best way to handle the whole fight anyways...

I don't recall any other instance in the wad where you can BFG one necromancer, from a pistol start that is, and on continuous you might even get chances to spam perforator to his crotch. I personally wasn't disturbed by the fact he wasn't too resistant to a couple BFG shots, relative to the overall threat level of that same fight in 28. That said, there wouldn't be anything wrong with buffing the projectile I suppose, or making him shoot a volley of 3-5 to discourage point-blanking without repercussions, though I think they are "well balanced" as is. 

I just finished playing through the rest of the maps.

Spoiler

The final boss was really tough. I was hoping we would have ended up using that sword that's seen in the Titlepic, but alas, it was nowhere to be found aside from the very first map, but I don't think you could pick it up as far as I could tell. I even used IDKFA to see if I could get it with that cheat, but alas, it wasn't in my inventory.

Overall, this is a very exciting, very challenging and a very beautiful looking megawad. I still hated the Astral Cacodemons and Nightmare Cacodemons.

3 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Dunno, they are speedy and shoot quite fast projectiles, and spawn things that zap into your face at full speed and are much more pesky than lost souls if you wanted to use rockets. Most if not all fights I found them a mid-high priority, such as in map 28 pretty much because the ghosts were annoying, so my first move was always to rush upstairs and remove him with BFG, which was doable albeit at the cost of some health lose - it was tricky to follow his high speed (keyboarder here!), because also the NM cacos would catch me and they did a number of times, but that isn't the only nor the best way to handle the whole fight anyways...

I don't recall any other instance in the wad where you can BFG one necromancer, from a pistol start that is, and on continuous you might even get chances to spam perforator to his crotch. I personally wasn't disturbed by the fact he wasn't too resistant to a couple BFG shots, relative to the overall threat level of that same fight in 28. That said, there wouldn't be anything wrong with buffing the projectile I suppose, or making him shoot a volley of 3-5 to discourage point-blanking without repercussions, though I think they are "well balanced" as is. 

Necromancer ghosts are face-rocket bait, this is true. But for plasma, bfg, or perforator armed player, the ghosts present very little threat. They feel like snowflakes in these circumstances. (Of course, there is the whole necromancy aspect... But this a bit different)

Hugging necromancers does not require BFG. With a good health buffer, I sometimes found myself meleeing with a plasma rifle to increase my DPS against a necro... This is, of course, often suboptimal. But the fact that it is even possible feels wrong. Even a baron door, or a lone spider mastermind can really munch through a megasphere very quickly in melee. But the necro cannot!

On map 28, a 200/200 defensive buffer is not guaranteed, and there are also those cacos flying around. So meleeing necromancer with a plasma does not work usually. But engaging him is still much less scary than engaging a Cyber or a Spider Mastermind in similar position. And he is still perfectly rush-able. My approach of plasma-ing necro first relied on hidding in a cave behind him. And, due to lack of backpack, some awkward plasma placemnts, I needed to run in and out of cave multiple times. And necromancer was helpless to notably harm me during those cave runs, despite me running right past him! With a cyber, a spidermastemind, an Annihilator, a Hell Duke, or even a lowly Doom2 mancubus*, such runs would be much, much riskier.

*mancubus, of course, can be easily hit-stunned, or even destroyed totally, unlike the necro. But running blindly and point blank past a mancubus with only a green armor and less than ~120 health is a very dumb idea, unlike blindly running past a necromaster.

Edited by Azure_Horror

7 hours ago, faceplant641 said:

Oof, found my UVmax limit.

Hide contents

The secret basement crusher fight in map 15 broke me.  I'm terrible at crusher fights to begin with, and that one felt especially fierce.  

It's okay. I also couldn't find a consistent method of beating that fight. That fight is nasty. And the reward is a measly soulsphere :)

6 hours ago, hawkwind said:

Map36 RC2

1. Many hanging gore sprites near sector 6965 not hang at correct height and some nearly fully render into the "star" section, worse after gaining access to sectors 65, 25 and 66. Also, might be worth making a dehacked patch for Thing Type 61 so it hangs at the "correct" height, not half in the ceiling ( for DSDA ).

2. Minor - noticed that the tex on lines14278 and 14294 for example do not align. 

3. Suggestion - At sector 5952 there are 3 cybers. Why not 3 Hard, 2 Medium, 1 Easy.

4. Suggestion - sector 6327 could have been a secret sector. Took me numerous attempts to reach it.

5. Maybe I missed something, but sector 7606 did not lower for me, preventing T2271 from crossing line 12346. ( sectors 3626 and 7447 OK )

Thanks for the detailed notes! Makes it much easier to look up the stuff you're referring to.

1. We're looking into why these get offset; they're vanilla decorations and shouldn't be changed.
2. Good catch, fixed all these.
3. No, the core concept is to have a cyber in the center constantly (although the sector you reference is not the center one). The extra ones are backups if the one in the arena gets killed by infighting and/or the player.
4. No, it's pretty much mandatory progression. Why were you having so much trouble getting here? I suspect you solved the fight here in some very unexpected way.
5. It's lowered by killing the third flesh pod, reachable after you finish the southeastern plasma arena with the crushers.

1 hour ago, ukiro said:

4. No, it's pretty much mandatory progression. Why were you having so much trouble getting here? I suspect you solved the fight here in some very unexpected way.

Ah! I made work for myself. I straferan from sector 8660, reached sector 8060, dropped down to sector 8623, and made my way to line 40154.  :) .

1 hour ago, ukiro said:

5. It's lowered by killing the third flesh pod, reachable after you finish the southeastern plasma arena with the crushers.

This actually revealed a bug. Since sector 2597 lowers to sector 7702's floor height, this means that the front sidedefs of lines 9126, 9121 etc. ( vertices 5496 to 5357 ) have missing textures, rendering  like an ogl slime trail. Need the tex OFLSHC01.

2 hours ago, ukiro said:

3. No, the core concept is to have a cyber in the center constantly (although the sector you reference is not the center one). The extra ones are backups if the one in the arena gets killed by infighting and/or the player.

hahaha I totally missed that and thought (for some reason) I had to get the cyber killed by infighting. Which I managed with some difficulty, then another one spawned! So I said F THIS and just ran through

Spoiler

The idea is to use the cyber(s) to kill astral mancs but sometimes they win, so I added backup cybers. 

Finally finished playing RC2.

My small and totally serious list of things i've found:

Spoiler

MAP01:

Doesn't have a berserk.

MAP05:

Doesn't have a berserk.

MAP10:

Doesn't have a berserk.

MAP12:
Doesn't have a berserk.

MAP15:

Doesn't have a berserk.

MAP25:

Doesn't have a berserk.

MAP26:

Doesn't have a berserk.

Linedef 21542 uses STARTAN2 as the lower texture and can be reached from within the map.

MAP28:

Doesn't have a berserk.

MAP30:

Doesn't have a berserk.

MAP31:

Doesn't have a berserk.

MAP33:

Doesn't have a berserk.

MAP34:

Doesn't have a berserk.

Linedef 8210 might be the wrong texture?

MAP35:

Doesn't have a berserk.

MAP37:

Doesn't have a berserk.

Episode 5:

Due to how the "shining" monochrome texture is done the projectiles disappear when shot directly into it, but not really sure if it's that big of a deal.

But jokes aside, this set is amazing and is probably one of my all-time favorites now. Amazing job and thanks for making it.

Thinking about the FOV again since I've been playing at 100 but I want to switch back to 90 and just let it go, are wads/maps made with the intention to be played at FOV 90? Do you know if any mapper tests with different view settings?

Thinking specifically about Eviternity 1, 2, Ancient Aliens etc.

Edited by CacoKnight

Map26 RC2

1. An issue when viewing the upper texture on line 51. Seen from sector 661. I fixed this by dragging vertex 76 onto vertex 75.

2. GZDoom - render issue floor of sectors 2464 and 1116.

3. Player notices the height change when walking over sectors 899, 1417, 2454 ( but not sector 1116. A clue I think ... )

4. It was reported 2 black issues on the boat. This is because sidedefs 118792, 118782, 118682 and 118646 need a Y offset of -416.

5. Lowers of sidedefs 23277 and 23282 need the tex OWOODF25 and the aligned x y 0.

Edited by hawkwind

On 12/18/2023 at 4:01 PM, Dragonfly said:

There is.

Map numbers give the date 08.04.2021 but I don't know what is significant about it.

13 hours ago, CacoKnight said:

Thinking specifically about Eviternity 1, 2, Ancient Aliens etc.

Play with what you prefer lmao. I used to play around 110 FOV back when I was more into multiplayer stuff, though I now play closer to 90 typically so that it's not as jarring when switching between ports.

---

New OST video:

RC2, Map 16.  I switched to DSDA between episodes, and I was getting a decent amount of slowdown in a couple spots in this map, both with software rendering and OpenGL. 

Spoiler

One was at the top of the stairs where a wall drops and the archvile and chaingunners are revealed, the other was in the cave down next to the water area, where the other archvile and single chaingunner hang out.

Lovely map though, it felt very Plutonia in how you had to balance freewheeling recklessness and careful play, but with loads of attention paid to visuals (which seems redundant to say about this WAD).

44 minutes ago, faceplant641 said:

I was getting a decent amount of slowdown in a couple spots in this map

Interesting, this is one of the lesser-taxing maps, especially so in the locations you've mentioned, plenty of 1 sided lines to cull background geometry surrounding you. Are you playing with any mods of any kind? I assume not, but I'm struggling to think why these locations in particular would have caused issues.

Talking of MAP16, I just put out the OST video for that map :)

7 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Interesting, this is one of the lesser-taxing maps, especially so in the locations you've mentioned, plenty of 1 sided lines to cull background geometry surrounding you. Are you playing with any mods of any kind? I assume not, but I'm struggling to think why these locations in particular would have caused issues.

No, no mods or anything.  I'm gonna try running it again later tonight, DSDA and GZDoom, and see if I can replicate the slowdown.  Was a little stuck in Survival Mode my first time through to take too many notes :)

Do I really need to tell you how awesome this MEGAWAD is?! No, seriously? If I had known that Dragonfly and the Team would make a sequel to "Eviternity", then I would have forgotten about the passage of "SIGIL II". I went through it completely only yesterday and I can call it "Modern DOOM II"!

I liked him so much that he even dedicated his opinion about the Project (In Russian)! You Guys Are Awesome!