Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonsbrethren

PSX Doom: The Lost Levels - New Pre-Beta Available courtesy of Salahmander2

Hi everyone!

Just got the PM from Dragonsbrethren (ha ha, an email just popped in my inbox today from a PM he sent over a week ago... thanks ancient vB software... better late than never, I guess.)

Anyway, that's totally fine that DeXiaZ did Against Thee Wickedly; to be honest it's my fault for taking so long in the first place (sorry everyone). Just go ahead and use his, it's all fine with me.

Moving on, if you guys can wait 1 more day (I'm not on my regular PC right now) I can upload what I have done of Odyssey of Noises and DeXiaZ or whoever can finish it. I might have some time over the Thanksgiving holidays to finish it, but I don't know if I can or not (having to replace the timing belt on my car) and I don't think it's fair to the rest of you guys for dragging this out in the first place, so I'm not going to take the chance.

I know I have the simplification done, and the monsters are down to the limits I set. I know it needs colored lighting, a music track and a sky (I was thinking either Doom 2 SKY1 [used in some Plutonia levels in PSX Final Doom], Doom 2 SKY2 [fits the map] or the episode 1 sky [I think it worked quite well for Onslaught]).

Sorry again everyone. :(

Did you get around to that secret exit I suggested for E4M6?

Anyway, for the sky, I'd choose the city sky, personally.

Funny how I dont remember the city sky being in PSX Doom, everyone here just leaps at the fire sky :p

A dark version of the map with the starry sky would work too. That sky wasnt used enough.

Nuxius said:

if you guys can wait 1 more day (I'm not on my regular PC right now) I can upload what I have done of Odyssey of Noises and DeXiaZ or whoever can finish it.

Ok, upload please :)

No problem, Nuxius, I've been having my share of PM weirdness the past few days. Never had a problem with the emails, but the popup is definitely inconsistent on my end, despite having adblocking disabled and javascript enabled on Doomworld. Just wanted a status update.

Odyssey of Noises with the city sky would be perfect. I've always viewed it as a city in hell, but really the sky is the only thing that gives that impression. Onslaught already set a precedent for odd sky choices, although if you guys would rather see a coherent episode, I'd be fine with keeping the hell sky.

FWIW, I think the Episode 3 Sky would look pretty cool in OoN. As far as I can remember, its only use in PSX Doom at all was MAP21 and 22 of Final Doom (LMP and Quarry respectively).
Music I don't think should be anything over than PSXMUS15

Quick-fix for The Chasm here.

Maybe I was just missing something, but it was unwinnable while testing; it was impossible at any point to successfully leap from the series of pillars back on to Sector 45.

BaronOfStuff said:

Quick-fix for The Chasm here.

Maybe I was just missing something, but it was unwinnable while testing; it was impossible at any point to successfully leap from the series of pillars back on to Sector 45.

Ah, it's interesting I was gonna playtest The Chasm later, cheers for pointing that out, am still gonna go through it to see what needs improving.

Salahmander2 said:

am still gonna go through it to see what needs improving.

I'd get rid of that ugly 'blue skull' column and just use border textures by the door, it looks out of place and obstructs movement at that height.

BaronOfStuff said:

I'd get rid of that ugly 'blue skull' column and just use border textures by the door, it looks out of place and obstructs movement at that height.

No worries, that'll be done, any other things to suggest whilst I'm gonna be at it?

A few:
- Sector 2 doesn't raise properly (raise sector 3 to work around this).
- The triggers for Sectors 62 and 63 are all sorts of fucked-up.
- Linedef 700 lacks a lower-back texture.

Also, the fix I posted has a problem of its own; Sector 153 is no longer properly aligned to the grid. That's what I get for rushing though I suppose.

BaronOfStuff said:

A few:
- Sector 2 doesn't raise properly (raise sector 3 to work around this).
- The triggers for Sectors 62 and 63 are all sorts of fucked-up.
- Linedef 700 lacks a lower-back texture.

Also, the fix I posted has a problem of its own; Sector 153 is no longer properly aligned to the grid. That's what I get for rushing though I suppose.

Chasm is kicking my ass here, having serious problems with the first two suggestions, may leave them be, but probably will make a switch for the second one instead.

Edit: Was, fixed the first problem, as for the second, gonna put a trigger line at the top of the platform nearby.

I've just sent my own playtest feedback regarding Chasm to Salahmander2. It does have several strange problems.

Eris Falling said:

FWIW, I think the Episode 3 Sky would look pretty cool in OoN. As far as I can remember, its only use in PSX Doom at all was MAP21 and 22 of Final Doom (LMP and Quarry respectively).
Music I don't think should be anything over than PSXMUS15

I swear half the levels in this project already have PSXMUS15 :/

http://www.mediafire.com/download/gvz44c5qisc32md/PSXAgainstTheeWickedly-V1%2C1.wad Against Thee Wickedly V1.1

Credits go to DeXiaZ for the map.

Changed a few colours around to suit the sky mostly, aligned a few textures and added a secret level exit and changed MP weapons to DM only.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6l39baarpm56elz/PSXSewers-V1%2C11.wad Sewers V1.11

Credits Goes to BaronOfStuff for the map.

Aligned a few textures.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/epfr4pfz3gzq5nr/PSXDowntown-V1%2C3.wad Downtown V1.3

Credits goes to DeXiaZ for the map.

Aligned a few textures, added a blue tint to the outside to give it a slight gloomy feel, added colour sectors to locked doors.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8co859uy4jzy5ei/PSXChasm-1%2C1.wad Chasm V1.1

Credits goes to Fenderc01 for the map.

Lots of changes to the map to make it more PSX-like, credits goes to BaronOfStuff and Megamur for the suggestions.

Thank you, Piper Maru. And thank you, Salahmander2 for fixing.

Now I'm waiting for Nuxius's beta-map

Piper Maru said:

Which one is PSXMUS15?

The song that plays in Hell Keep in the original PSX Doom, with all the metallic shrieking kind of sounds. It's a great song, so I can see why it would get a lot of usage. However, I do encourage mappers to consider the FINMUS## tracks for Master Levels/TNT/Plutonia levels. They're really quiet, I know, but they need more love. :)

Thanks again for the suggestions Megamur, Spirit World feels very PSX-like now, as with Chasm, any other maps of mine that'll need further simplifying?

Salahmander2 said:

Thanks again for the suggestions Megamur, Spirit World feels very PSX-like now, as with Chasm, any other maps of mine that'll need further simplifying?

Really happy I could help you out. :)

Warrens seemed fine, aside from the issue of needing brighter outdoor areas (which will need to be duplicated in Forsaken Keep, I assume). I'll be going through your other maps soon.

Good news! (well for the project, at least). It rained like crazy yesterday and there was ice all over today, so I had to stay in. So even though my car remains a huge doorstop, my map is now pretty much finished!

Eris Falling said:

Heh, I totally forgot about them using that sky in PSX Final Doom (all I remembered was it wasn't in PSX Doom). Yeah, after I thought about it for a bit, I agreed that sky would fit best as well, so I changed my map to suit it.

Moving on, here is a link to what I have so far. Definitely still a beta, but ready for testing. All that left is some tidying up on the colored sectors and some clean up on the reverb and she'll be done. Let me know if you find any issues with it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/1cu57p (MAP01)

Anyway, I originally was going to have the Hell Keep music (The Mansion showed that this song is perfect for maps with a lot of stucco and wood), but if people have a problem with it, then my second choice would be the Catwalk music from PSX Final Doom.

Nuxius said:

Anyway, I originally was going to have the Hell Keep music (The Mansion showed that this song is perfect for maps with a lot of stucco and wood), but if people have a problem with it, then my second choice would be the Catwalk music from PSX Final Doom.

I love the Catwalk track. Really foreboding and can transform a level.

PSX Odyssey of Noises

-Fixed heights there was >256
-Added portal effect to Gates (Level End) by alpha-channel of fire texture.

Well, feel free to fix something else, but I think it's finished now, thx to Nuxius - he made a lot of work.

Ragnor said:

I swear half the levels in this project already have PSXMUS15 :/

Seems about the same as levels using firesky, from an outsiders point of view. Firesky was actually only used 12 times across both Doom, Doom II and Final Doom. I've only played my own conversions, Dis, the Wolfenstein(ish) maps, Bloodsea and I had a brief look at Odyssey of Noises. I'm waiting for the beta, but that's why I don't actually know how many used MUS15. I never used it, and I don't think any of the others I mentioned did.

Eris Falling said:

Seems about the same as levels using firesky, from an outsiders point of view. Firesky was actually only used 12 times across both Doom, Doom II and Final Doom. I've only played my own conversions, Dis, the Wolfenstein(ish) maps, Bloodsea and I had a brief look at Odyssey of Noises. I'm waiting for the beta, but that's why I don't actually know how many used MUS15. I never used it, and I don't think any of the others I mentioned did.

The amount of maps I've converted, I find it very amusing, that none of them have even used PSXMUS15. :O

------

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c579q30qv5okui0/PSXForsakenKeep-V1%2C12.wad Forsaken Keep V1.12

Credits goes to NoneeLlama for the two maps.

Followed Megamur's suggestion and increased the brightness of the sky areas.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wj4tim7tuail1hy/PSXWarrens-V1%2C02.wad Warrens V1.02

Same as above.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lz2d6dimd4ugikc/PSXChasm-1%2C04.wad
Chasm V1.04

Credits goes to Fenderc01 for the map.

Missed a suggestion by Megamur and changed the jump pillars to red.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3metab09s4f7ncs/PSXSpritWorld-V1%2C1.wad Spirit World V1.1

Once again, the great Megamur has given great suggestions that made Spirit World feel so much like a PSX map.

Great! I put all the updates in the OP.

Speaking of beta, what map order would everyone prefer? Should I continue using what the OP does, or reorder them like the actual PSX Doom episodes, with secret levels coming at the end? I know ScottGray's updater is currently set up for the order in the OP, but that would be easy enough to update to use a different order. Maps will need to be shifted slightly anyway, to make up for Icon of Sin and Last Call being on the list.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Great! I put all the updates in the OP.

Speaking of beta, what map order would everyone prefer? Should I continue using what the OP does, or reorder them like the actual PSX Doom episodes, with secret levels coming at the end? I know ScottGray's updater is currently set up for the order in the OP, but that would be easy enough to update to use a different order. Maps will need to be shifted slightly anyway, to make up for Icon of Sin and Last Call being on the list.

I say reorder them like the actual PSX Doom episodes. There gonna be a way to mismash them so that they come in the order like on the PC Dooms?

Pharaoh 1.4

Changelog:

1. No more double switches, because those were stupid
  2. Brought the global lighting level down by 16, made some other tweaks elsewhere
  3. More coloured lights.
  4. Chopped up the yellow key tunnels a bit more. Added some stuff of actual value to the traps in there, rather than just monsters.
  5. Removed the cool teleporting effect that the arch-vile used in the PC. Now the cages are gone, and the monsters teleport into the middle of the room. Monsters changed here.
  6. The trap with the HKs/Revenants has been changed into something a bit bigger, because the tiny claustrophobic thing I turned it into was rubbish
  7. Red-key outdoor area has gone under some height reduction. Some of the sectors were 278-units tall. Different sky heights caused bad looking 2D textures, like the start of E3M1. This has also been fixed.
I have one request. The HK/Revenant trap I mentioned currently pulses light very quickly. I'd rather it used the slow fade-in fade-out effect from the end of Phobos Lab, and I think this the effect that requires an ACS script, and even with the example given in the OP, I don't know how to do it.
So if someone could do that, it would be appreciated :)

EDIT: Heh, and Dragonsbretheren updated the list while I typed this out