Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonsbrethren

PSX Doom: The Lost Levels - New Pre-Beta Available courtesy of Salahmander2

Eris Falling said:

Pharaoh 1.4

Changelog:

1. No more double switches, because those were stupid
  2. Brought the global lighting level down by 16, made some other tweaks elsewhere
  3. More coloured lights.
  4. Chopped up the yellow key tunnels a bit more. Added some stuff of actual value to the traps in there, rather than just monsters.
  5. Removed the cool teleporting effect that the arch-vile used in the PC. Now the cages are gone, and the monsters teleport into the middle of the room. Monsters changed here.
  6. The trap with the HKs/Revenants has been changed into something a bit bigger, because the tiny claustrophobic thing I turned it into was rubbish
  7. Red-key outdoor area has gone under some height reduction. Some of the sectors were 278-units tall. Different sky heights caused bad looking 2D textures, like the start of E3M1. This has also been fixed.
I have one request. The HK/Revenant trap I mentioned currently pulses light very quickly. I'd rather it used the slow fade-in fade-out effect from the end of Phobos Lab, and I think this the effect that requires an ACS script, and even with the example given in the OP, I don't know how to do it.
So if someone could do that, it would be appreciated :)

EDIT: Heh, and Dragonsbretheren updated the list while I typed this out

I'll give it a shot, since I'm getting used to ACS scripting.

Salahmander2 said:

I say reorder them like the actual PSX Doom episodes. There gonna be a way to mismash them so that they come in the order like on the PC Dooms?

That shouldn't be a problem at all. It just requires writing a new mapinfo that overrides the original, rather than building on it. We just need to wait until an order's finalized to do it (since the map lumps will be numbered LOST** based on the final order).

This is directed more towards Ragnor and Megamur (since the three of us were very much for this idea), but I think an level order should be decided on the PSX DOOM: SUPER MEGA ULTRA OMG EDITION (tentative title), if that becomes a thing. I have a rough idea already of how to set it out. I think I already sent an order of some sort to Ragnor, which came out at like 160 maps.

EDIT: Just read back and found that it's supposed to include D64 and NRFTL. That brings the total up to about 220 levels I think.
Personally, I'm not too fussed about those two campaigns, having never played them, but when LL is done, a first version of the huge version can be made and then D64/NRFTL could be addons.

Yeah, that's the way I'd tackle it personally. Do each of those episodes as addons that can override the previous episode's final map, letting them be drop in replacements. This is how normal Lost Levels episode will work. It means you don't have to update everything for one fix in one episode.

DeXiaZ said:

PSX Odyssey of Noises

-Fixed heights there was >256
-Added portal effect to Gates (Level End) by alpha-channel of fire texture.

Well, feel free to fix something else, but I think it's finished now, thx to Nuxius - he made a lot of work.

Nice catch on lindefs 8, 45 and 1283! :) Heh, I had to look at the open pit area for a bit before I realized that last one.

Unfortunately, your fix for lindefs for 8 and 45 made a visual error in the map (the sky line is no longer aligned), so I just made them zero height sectors to solve that one. And I had to redo the pit area, as in your version the map is no longer completable, as you can't travel from sector 97 to 114 to get to the red key anymore.

I looked at the exit area for a bit, but still can't figure out what I messed up there? I made the outer walls as zero height sectors (like Heck) to get around the 256 texture height limitation; did I miss one somewhere?

Anyway, thanks for your fixes, much appreciated. :)

So here is a download for Odyssey of Noises v0.3:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dsb8yj

Proposed level order:

LOST01: Forsaken Keep [Hell Keep PC] - (NoneeLlama)
LOST02: Slough of Despair - (NoneeLlama)
LOST03: They Will Repent - (fenderc01)
LOST04: Against Thee Wickedly [secret exit to Sewers] - (DeXiaZ)
LOST05: And Hell Followed [secret exit to Fear] - (Avoozl)
LOST06: Dis - BaronOfStuff

LOST07: Downtown - (DeXiaZ)
LOST08: Industrial Zone [secret exit to The Castle] - (DeXiaZ)
LOST09: Gotcha! - (DeXiaZ)
LOST10: The Chasm - (fenderc01 & Salahmander2)
LOST11: The Spirit World - (Salahmander2)
LOST12: The Living End - (Dragonsbrethren)

LOST13: The Garrison [GARRISON.WAD] - (DeXiaZ)
LOST14: Titan Manor - (DeXiaZ)
LOST15: Trapped on Titan [TTRAP.WAD] - (DeXiaZ)
LOST16: Bloodsea Keep [BLOODSEA.WAD] - (Dragonsbrethren)
LOST17: Mephisto's Maosoleum [MEPHISTO.WAD] - (DeXiaZ)
LOST18: Black Tower [BLACKTWR.WAD] - (DeXiaZ)
LOST19: The Express Elevator to Hell [TEETH.WAD MAP31; secret exit to Bad Dream] - (pcorf)

LOST20: Power Control - (Dragonsbrethren)
LOST21: Hanger - (DeXiaZ)
LOST22: Open Season - (Avoozl)
LOST23: Prison - (DeXiaZ)
LOST24: Metal - (DeXiaZ)
LOST25: Stronghold - (Salahmander2)
LOST26: Redemption - (BaronOfStuff)
LOST27: Storage Facility - (DeXiaZ)
LOST28: Steel Works - (pcorf)
LOST29: Dead Zone [secret exit to Pharaoh] - (Salahmander2)
LOST30: Mill - (DeXiaZ)
LOST31: Shipping/Respawning - (DeXiaZ)
LOST32: Central Processing - (DeXiaZ)
LOST33: Administration Center - (pcorf)
LOST34: Habitat - (DeXiaZ)
LOST35: Baron's Den - (Avoozl)
LOST36: Mount Pain - (DeXiaZ)
LOST37: River Styx - (Cryo)

LOST38: Well of Souls - (Dragonsbrethren)
LOST39: Caged - (Dragonsbrethren)
LOST40: Caughtyard - (Eris Falling)
LOST41: Realm - (Salahmander2)
LOST42: Abattoire - (Salahmander2)
LOST43: Hunted - (DeXiaZ)
LOST44: Speed - (DeXiaZ)
LOST45: The Crypt - (Salahmander2)
LOST46: Genesis - (Salahmander2)
LOST47: The Twilight [secret exit to Cyberden] - (DeXiaZ)
LOST48: The Omen - (DeXiaZ)
LOST49: Compound - (Salahmander2)
LOST50: Neurosphere - (Eris Falling)
LOST51: NME - (Salahmander2)
LOST52: Slayer - (Salahmander2)
LOST53: Impossible Mission - (DeXiaZ)
LOST54: Tombstone - (BaronOfStuff)
LOST55: The Final Frontier - (Salahmander2)
LOST56: The Temple of Darkness - (Salahmander2)
LOST57: Bunker - (DeXiaZ)
LOST58: Anti-Christ - (Salahmander2)
LOST59: The Sewers - (DeXiaZ)
LOST60: Odyssey of Noises - (Nuxius, DeXiaZ)

LOST61: Icon of Sin [+Last Call, Gateway of Hell] - (BaronOfStuff)

LOST62: Warrens - (NoneeLlama, Salahmander2)

LOST63: Sewers - (BaronOfStuff)

LOST64: Fear - (fenderc01)

LOST65: Betray - (DeXiaZ)

LOST66: The Castle [Wolfenstein] - (BaronOfStuff)
LOST67: The Escape [Grosse] - (BaronOfStuff)

LOST68: Bad Dream [TEETH.WAD MAP32] - (BaronOfStuff)

LOST69: Pharaoh [secret exit to Caribbean] - (Eris Falling)
LOST70: Caribbean - (DeXiaZ)

LOST71: Cyberden [secret exit to Go 2 It] - (BaronOfStuff)
LOST72: Go 2 It - (BaronOfStuff)

I forget if we ever came to any conclusion about where to put the secret exits for some of these. I'll reorder the secret levels to match the order they're entered in.

Edit: Ragnor's Master Levels order.

Spoiler

slot 69 :D

*cough*
Anyway, it might be worth noting that aside from Virgil and Combine, the Master Levels on PSX were arranged alphabetically.

Yeah, I was thinking about that when I typed it up. We originally ordered them by creator. I'm fine with either way, alphabetic seems appropriate given how lazy official compilations of the Master Levels tend to be...

I suggested E4M6 as the entry point for Sewers (Sewers being a UD level and Downtown as the entrance for Betray (Betray being a Doom 2 level) Several people liked the idea of E4M6 having a hidden exit, I even thought of a good place for it, in the pointless lava area at the top of the map with the cacos. Downtown is more of a "its the easiest Doom 2 lost level, Betray is easy as hell so can only really fit there" Plenty of places to fit an exit in too, like in one of those alleys at the top of the map. As authenticity is a goal, putting those two anywhere but in UD and D2 respectively is a bit silly.

For Master Levels, that ordering is just bad.

I would arrange it as:

Garrison
Titan Manor
Trapped on Titan
Bloodsea Keep
Mephisto's Mausoleum
Black Tower
TEETH

It keeps a steady difficulty curve, and also categorises them by authour in the process. Its also very close to the PSN order

Eris Falling said:

This is directed more towards Ragnor and Megamur (since the three of us were very much for this idea), but I think an level order should be decided on the PSX DOOM: SUPER MEGA ULTRA OMG EDITION (tentative title), if that becomes a thing. I have a rough idea already of how to set it out. I think I already sent an order of some sort to Ragnor, which came out at like 160 maps.

EDIT: Just read back and found that it's supposed to include D64 and NRFTL. That brings the total up to about 220 levels I think.
Personally, I'm not too fussed about those two campaigns, having never played them, but when LL is done, a first version of the huge version can be made and then D64/NRFTL could be addons.

The amount of official levels is 196. 36+32+21+32+32+2+9+32 :)

The PSXMUS15 thing, if you look back through this thread, there is an overuse of PSXMUS15 in music suggestions. Curse Midway and their time constraints, the lost Final Doom tracks are too perfect for some of the levels and would help get people actually using the FD tracks. Darker than Blackness aka Subspace's cut theme is perfection for any liquid heavy map for example. I have it earmarked for Bloodsea Keep especially.

Yeah, I've been out of touch with PSX/N64 Doom music. What are the lost Final Doom tracks, are they from the official soundtrack Aubrey Hodges released?

buttspit said:

Yeah, I've been out of touch with PSX/N64 Doom music. What are the lost Final Doom tracks, are they from the official soundtrack Aubrey Hodges released?

Yes, there is a total of three bonus Final Doom tracks that were released by Aubrey.

Darker Than Blackness, which was created for Subspace, with a very liquidy sound to it, with what sounds like spurting blood at times, Psychotechnica, which is for Subterra and Warbled Logic, for Vesperas, which sounds like demons fucking up radios. Cant really describe Psychotechnica.

Final Doom PSX was a bit rushed in comparison to PSX Doom, and Aubrey never got the time to finish those three in time. Its a real shame, not only do those three sound amazing, but if they were included, there would have been a unique track for each Master Level. If you ever buy them off Aubrey, you owe it to yourself to play those three levels with their intended music.

Ragnor said:

The amount of official levels is 196. 36+32+21+32+32+2+9+32 :)

You missed that there are six PSX-exclusive levels (Twilight Descends, The Marshes, Threshold of Pain, The Mansion, Club Doom, Redemption Denied), for a total of 202. :)

True enough. I added up all PC levels and added Doom 64 to the number.

And you missed Console Hell Keep and Hell Gate, so that's 204.

Ragnor said:

True enough. I added up all PC levels and added Doom 64 to the number.

And you missed Console Hell Keep and Hell Gate, so that's 204.

And let's not forget about the GBA exclusive deathmatch maps. ^_^

Gez said:

You missed that there are six PSX-exclusive levels (Twilight Descends, The Marshes, Threshold of Pain, The Mansion, Club Doom, Redemption Denied), for a total of 202. :)

How about the idea of some all new exclusive levels. Take the total up to 210 or so and at least 3 of these levels are secret levels.

Pixel_Crusher said:

And let's not forget about the GBA exclusive deathmatch maps. ^_^

Baron's already converted them ^_^

After some testing/feedback from Megamur, here are four updated versions of my maps:
Dis
Sewers
Redemption
Bad Dream

Updates are generally minor tweaks, and in a couple of cases deal with oversights regarding stuff like overstepping the pseudo-RAM limits and all that. I probably managed to break something at the same time, because I'm good at that. ZMAPINFO included, with mapslots assigned in this order.

I'll get Tombstone out of the way soon enough, and then go over the Wolfenstein maps (and whatever else) and bring them down to sit within limits where necessary.

Edit:

Ragnor said:

Baron's already converted them ^_^

Nej; I'm converting them (very slowly)! There's little motivation right now, I'd rather get the more important stuff done first before adding bonus mapsets like that.

pcorf said:

How about the idea of some all new exclusive levels. Take the total up to 210 or so and at least 3 of these levels are secret levels.

This idea was kicking around early on in the project actually; I'm all for it, I have an old vanilla map of mine that I'm still in the process of converting for such a thing.

Ragnor said:

Final Doom PSX was a bit rushed in comparison to PSX Doom, and Aubrey never got the time to finish those three in time.

Is that why none of the sound samples used in the ambient tracks in Final Doom (excluding the bonus tracks) were made by Aubrey? He simply didn't have the time to record any of his own?

A question for the project mappers: What Sector Light Mode do all of you use when designing these maps? I'm thinking that perhaps we should just decide on a light mode for the project that everyone will map and test with so everyone knows what kind of sector brightness levels they should be shooting for. I know with the green and blue PSX lighting, some areas are practically invisible depending on the light mode setting you're using.

Syncing light modes (should be "bright" by default if using the batch file) won't help much since everyone's monitor is different. My monitor has an auto-calibrate option and the TC is almost unplayably dark with it unless I turn up the ambient light value.

Probably the safest thing to do is copy light values from a map with the same color/brightness as you want.

I don't have a sector light mode, I play the PSX TC with ZDoom, because that is THE way to play :D

Guess the Doom level!

I did test my conversions in GZDoom though. I can't remember which mode I used, but I'd guess "dark" since that's what I use on the rare occasions I use GZDoom. As a result, my levels could be brighter than they should be. I don't know though.

I know, for me, the tunnels beyond the blue key door in Level 4 of the TC are virtually pitch-black on...well, all the sector light modes. Too bad there's no "turn up your brightness until this thing is visible" calibration.

Ive only ever used the Software lighting mode ever since it was introduced.

@Baron: What!? The second speed demon of conversion going slowly? THe last time you mentioned them, it was implied you'd converted most of them in like a day or so and was tearing through the rest. Oh well, im not a multiplayer..player..so I wont really benefit from them but still, completion!

Ragnor said:

Ive only ever used the Software lighting mode ever since it was introduced.

I test all the PSX levels in GZDoom, since as far as I'm aware, software mode is restricted to vanilla Doom's classic 256-color palette. The PlayStation had a wider array of colors, so I assume certain sector lighting colors look wrong if you play in software mode.

I dont mean the software renderer, if GZDoom even still has that, but the Software lighting mode, that simulates the awesome "stuff gets brighter when you close to it" lighting of the original renderer. I loved that. I dont even remember if the PSX had that though. Regardless, I never switch from it. It just looks so much better than the flat static lighting of regular GL lighting.

Ragnor is talking about the shader light mode that mimicks software. It's one of the best things to happen to hardware rendered ports, but it has nothing to do with the TC since the PSX distance fading is entirely different. Granted, it still looks better than no fading, but it makes the already too dark lighting even darker.

The problem is that light is handled differently in the actual PSX version than in the TC/GZDoom. Maybe someone knowledgeable could write a shader to simulate it - I looked at the shader for software lighting, but didn't really understand it.

I just know that, even on bright, the TC is darker than the real thing running in an emulator on this same monitor. I use the GPU BladeSoft plugin, which is supposed to be the most accurate, and it definitely resembles how Doom looks on my CRT TV. The TC does not. Even the bright areas in the original game are dark, and the dark areas are invisible.