Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

13 hours ago, Blue Phoenix said:

Found another error with MBF21.  Modified weapons don't wake up monsters, even without that weapon flag being set. 

mod I used for testing (a pistol replacement): test2.zip

Ah, thanks for that. I think I may know what the problem is, and will have a fix for the next version.

EDIT: Fixed! :)

Edited by bradharding

I'm trying out Doom Retro for the first time in a long, long time and it's crashing JAM every time I open the menu (warping to maps works fine). It's a standard Boom wad that runs under complevel 9 so I'm not sure what the issue is (not seeing any error message when game crashes to desktop) but I'm assuming it has to do with the menu lumps?

3 hours ago, xvertigox said:

I'm trying out Doom Retro for the first time in a long, long time and it's crashing JAM every time I open the menu (warping to maps works fine). It's a standard Boom wad that runs under complevel 9 so I'm not sure what the issue is (not seeing any error message when game crashes to desktop) but I'm assuming it has to do with the menu lumps?

Thanks for this. This will be fixed in the next version of DR.

Hey Brad, just a few things I want to bring up: is there a way for the lost soul limit to be applied to the Pain Elemental? In more than a few occasions it's proven to be pretty overwhelming in at least a few wads I've played where the screen can get filled pretty quickly even with a few elementals on the loose.

Also, when taking screenshots, that flash effect can disrupt taking multiple shots at once. I personally don't find it that necessary since it can be a bit of an eyesore - especially if it's used in the middle of combat.

Last but not least, thankfully that keyboard problem I was having with strafing left and right seems to have disappeared, so I'm glad that was somehow fixed. I'm still holding out hope for a frame interpolation option for that smooth 35 FPS if it's not too much!

On 1/9/2022 at 11:51 AM, valkiriforce said:

Hey Brad, just a few things I want to bring up: is there a way for the lost soul limit to be applied to the Pain Elemental? In more than a few occasions it's proven to be pretty overwhelming in at least a few wads I've played where the screen can get filled pretty quickly even with a few elementals on the loose.

Also, when taking screenshots, that flash effect can disrupt taking multiple shots at once. I personally don't find it that necessary since it can be a bit of an eyesore - especially if it's used in the middle of combat.

Last but not least, thankfully that keyboard problem I was having with strafing left and right seems to have disappeared, so I'm glad that was somehow fixed. I'm still holding out hope for a frame interpolation option for that smooth 35 FPS if it's not too much!

Hi! I agree, I must do something with the lost soul limit. Rather than having a CVAR that sets an overall limit, I might instead allow any number of lost souls to be spawned at map start, and only limit the number of lost souls can be spawned per pain elemental, or for all pain elementals.

As for screenshots, I like the flash, but understand it gets in the way. At some point you could hold down the bound key to take multiple screenshots, but an update to SDL changed that behavior that I'll need to look into again. I'll also look at hiding all player messages from screenshots, as I believe Crispy and Russian Doom have been doing for some time.

Glad the keyboard thing is fixed (thanks to an SDL update for that). As for the interpolation thing, I may DM you about it in a few days so I can provide you with a test build to see if it feels right for you, if you don't mind. :)

Hey everyone! I've just released v4.4.2 of DOOM Retro. This first release for 2022 improves playback of MIDI music, has completely revamped controller support (rumble is back!), improvements to MBF21 support, and more. Please visit www.doomretro.com for the complete release notes and to download. Thanks for your support! :)

Hey Brad. Any chance of getting wads loaded that have a mixture of PNGs and Doom Graphics/Flats in patches and flats sections and also have PNAMES/TEXTURE1 reference both? I just cooked up one such wad and it loads ok in both Eternity and GZDoom, but I'd really want to play it in Retro (where it crashes at the moment, well, at least until I remove all of the said PNGs!).

11 minutes ago, ludicrous_peridot said:

Hey Brad. Any chance of getting wads loaded that have a mixture of PNGs and Doom Graphics/Flats in patches and flats sections and also have PNAMES/TEXTURE1 reference both? I just cooked up one such wad and it loads ok in both Eternity and GZDoom, but I'd really want to play it in Retro (where it crashes at the moment, well, at least until I remove all of the said PNGs!).

Thanks for letting me know. Could you please DM me the WAD (or a barebones version at least) so I can look into it?

Is there a list of bound control parameters for controllers? I'm trying to bind weapons to my D-pad but I don't know what each direction is called, and I can't seem to find any references to it on the Doom Retro wiki.

Your code d_deh.c has the TRANSLUCENT mnemonic listed twice, both as an mf and an mf2 flag. Is there a reason for this ?

5 hours ago, hawkwind said:

Your code d_deh.c has the TRANSLUCENT mnemonic listed twice, both as an mf and an mf2 flag. Is there a reason for this ?

They effectively do the same. MF2_TRANSLUCENT was implemented first, along with the other translucency type flags, and then BOOM's MF_TRANSLUCENT flag came later. MF2_TRANSLUCENT is left in now for completeness.

Hey Brad! Little request here.

Could it be possible to add an option to customize the scale of the alt HUD (and the alt HUD) ? By this, I don't mean the statusbar, but the HUD that's used when you increase the size of the screen. The HUD on a regular resolution scale feels a bit too small for my personal preference, so it'd be nice to have an option to either double, or triple the size by user choice! :D

Or maybe there's an option already and I haven't noticed lol

1. Would it be possible to add an option for music not to stop playing when the game window is not focused? It makes it difficult for me to set up the volume of my MIDI program.
2. I think something broke in AI of hellknight? I recorded this on MAP 20 of Alien Vendetta, but it appears to occur on all maps. 

12 hours ago, Endless said:

Could it be possible to add an option to customize the scale of the alt HUD (and the alt HUD) ? By this, I don't mean the statusbar, but the HUD that's used when you increase the size of the screen. The HUD on a regular resolution scale feels a bit too small for my personal preference, so it'd be nice to have an option to either double, or triple the size by user choice! :D

Hi @Endless. Yeah, the widescreen HUD does look a bit small. I've experimented with doubling the size of the elements, but then it looks too big (with the player's face on top of the health). So I'm still working on something I'm happy with.

4 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

1. Would it be possible to add an option for music not to stop playing when the game window is not focused? It makes it difficult for me to set up the volume of my MIDI program.
2. I think something broke in AI of hellknight? I recorded this on MAP 20 of Alien Vendetta, but it appears to occur on all maps. 

1. I'll consider it.

2. As @maxmanium said, it's MBF's strafing feature which I implemented a few builds back. It actually happens for other monsters. But I might just take it out because it does look weird, not even bothering to put it behind a CVAR.

Hi bradharding!

I have an issue with Doom Retro. It lags whenever I use mouse to look around.

Everything works silky smooth when using arrow keys to turn around. Doom Retro also works perfectly fine with an xinput controller. But as soon as I try to play with the mouse, the game stutters terribly/lags (it looks like frameskipping, but it's not).

At first I thought I had some framerate/v-sync related issues. I have tried different gpu settings and vid_cvars, but it didn't improve the issue. After playing a few minutes with an xinput controller however I noticed that the problem was gone completely (sadly I don't play with controllers, so using a controller instead of kb+m is not a fix for me 😢). Then I tried arrow keys to turn around, and once again Doom Retro worked perfectly fine.

I also use GZDoom, and Crispy Doom and mouse works correctly for me in both source ports. I have tried changing mouse polling rate to lower values (125hz from 1000hz) but it didn't improve anything.

Could you please look into that problem?

52 minutes ago, PKr said:

Hi bradharding!

I have an issue with Doom Retro. It lags whenever I use mouse to look around.

Make sure you don't have vsync enabled. I used to have the same problem, and disabling it helped.

52 minutes ago, NieMaMordy said:

Make sure you don't have vsync enabled. I used to have the same problem, and disabling it helped.

Yes, I have already excluded vsync out of equation (as I've already mentioned in my previous post). Different rendering methods in conjunction with different v-sync settings (both driver and in-game settings) don't change anything. Besides, if it was a framepacing issue it wouldn't go away while using a controller. In fact it would only make the issue more apparent thanks to analogue nature of inputs, which doesn't happen. 🤷

1 hour ago, PKr said:

Yes, I have already excluded vsync out of equation (as I've already mentioned in my previous post). Different rendering methods in conjunction with different v-sync settings (both driver and in-game settings) don't change anything. Besides, if it was a framepacing issue it wouldn't go away while using a controller. In fact it would only make the issue more apparent thanks to analogue nature of inputs, which doesn't happen. 🤷

Not sure what could be causing this. Try disabling the `m_acceleration` CVAR or increasing the `m_sensitivity` CVAR in the console.

On 4/28/2016 at 2:53 AM, AlexMax said:

Question for the author, but also for anybody in this thread who uses Doom Retro on the regular. Have you had any player complaints that the mouse felt laggy when using uncapped framerate?

The reason I ask is because the way ZDoom handles mouse control of the camera uses no interpolation - instead it immediately modifies the angle of the camera straight from the event handler. That kind of seemed...inelegant to me, so I never implemented it, but if "mouse lag" is something some of your users experience, I'm more than happy to take another look at the problem.

To be clear, I know that there is lag when capped framerate interpolation is used - there is only a question of if it is noticeable to users.

The closest thing I have found so far is this comment... It's very old, but I guess that person was onto something.

Are you sure you don't have that issue as well? Try walking to the sides slowly, and simultaneously move mouse to the left or to the right (evenly and slowly as well). The image will "jump" and the character will "teleport" at some intervals. Now try to do the same thing with controller or arrow keys... Theoretically the movement should be very smooth and noticeably different from the mouse movement.

Or better yet try to do the same thing in Crispy Doom 5.10.3 right after Doom Retro. The difference should be apparent.

Unless the issue is happening only on my end of course...

Hi all! DOOM Retro v4.4.3, has just been released. This one is minor, including stability fixes, further improvements to controller support, and more. Please visit www.doomretro.com. Thanks for your support!

EDIT: There was a minor issue that caused specifying anything on the command-line not to work. If you're experiencing this problem, please download again.

Edited by bradharding

I have managed to find a "fix" for my issue.

Nvidia Control Panel > Doomretro.exe:

1. Low Latency Mode > On/Ultra (both should work fine)
  2. Max Frame Rate > Off
  3. Monitor Technology > G-Sync
  4. Preffered Refresh Rate > Application Controlled (120hz in my case)
  5. Vertical Sync > On

Doom Retro settings:

1. m_acceleration > off
  2. vid_borderlesswindow > on (very important; setting it to "off", makes this issue very noticeable)
  3. vid_capfps > 1,000 (it's important to cap fps above your max refresh rate... Normally you'd want to cap it below refresh rate while using the g-sync mode, but values <=MaxRefreshRate cause extreme stuttering in Doom Retro for some reason)
  4. vid_vsync > off (in conjunction with other mentioned settings should provide the best results)

It's still not 100% perfect, but if somebody will have the same issue, give these settings a try.

P.S.

6 hours ago, bradharding said:

Hi all! DOOM Retro v4.4.3, has just been released. This one is minor, including stability fixes, further improvements to controller support, and more. Please visit www.doomretro.com. Thanks for your support!

Unlike any other version v4.4.3 asks "Where's all the data?" whenever you try to launch Doomretro.exe. No idea how to use v4.4.3 via ZDL anymore. 😅

Thanks for the info @PKr. I'll see what I can do to improve things.

Also, I just fixed a minor bug with v4.4.3 and reuploaded it. Please redownload and it should work.

Hey, I dunno if anyone else pointed this out yet, but there's an issue when the cyberdemon's sfx don't really fall off properly when you're far away from it:

This issue probably applies to the Spider Mastermind too. If it's possible to sort this out, it would be much appreciated.

this is exactly how it should work. notabug. in vanilla, Cybbie and Mother Spider specifically coded so their sounds are not affected by distance, and always plays at full volume.

i am very certain that the lighting in doom retro is different than lighting in other sourceports (it seems to be noticeably darker), is there any way to make it look like other sourceports? i'd also like to add i'm running doom retro through wine on linux, just in case this is an issue that only crops up when using wine.
here is a screenshot of what i am talking about (i have no clue how to embed an image or anything like that)
https://imgur.com/a/hSErOPv

Edited by JackBoi

16 hours ago, Breezeep said:

Hey, I dunno if anyone else pointed this out yet, but there's an issue when the cyberdemon's sfx don't really fall off properly when you're far away from it: 

That's vanilla behavior, so not really a bug, but, I still have to agree it's one of those ''features'' that I dislike from the vanilla version of the game. It can get super loud in large maps where Cybies or Masterminds wake up from afar, so, maybe there could be an option in the .cfg to workaround this ?

1 hour ago, JackBoi said:

i am very certain that the lighting in doom retro is different than lighting in other sourceports (it seems to be noticeably darker), is there any way to make it look like other sourceports? i'd also like to add i'm running doom retro through wine on linux, just in case this is an issue that only crops up when using wine.
here is a screenshot of what i am talking about (i have no clue how to embed an image or anything like that)
https://imgur.com/a/hSErOPv

The lightning in Doom Retro is my favorite, by far, but you could probably try an edit the r_gamma command. By default it's set at 0.90, which is a bit dark. You can also try r_ditheredlighting off and r_graduallighting off (by default both are ON).