Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.3 (updated March 3, 2024)

On 4/25/2021 at 2:57 AM, Adamast0r said:

I can't seem to bind the pause action to another key, in this case 'p'

There currently is no +pause action. Is it really that important? For me, just opening the menu is the best way to pause the game.

On 4/25/2021 at 5:05 PM, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

Just wanted to know if there will be some update, where you wouldnt need to install/load umpainfo patches manualy.

Simple compatibility fixes are fine (changing blood color for example), but changes that require entire scripts I'm reluctant to do.

On 4/28/2021 at 7:26 AM, MS-06FZ Zaku II Kai said:

Hi @bradharding would it be possible for DOOM Retro in future updates to have function that dissables those ugly status bar brick Border tyles? They kinda clash with some custom status bars in pwads I´ve been playing.

Yeah, they can sometimes look a bit fugly, but [most?] other source ports display the same thing. I'm not sure displaying just black instead is the best solution.

21 hours ago, bradharding said:

There currently is no +pause action. Is it really that important? For me, just opening the menu is the best way to pause the game.

No problem then, Brad.

DR is already full of cool features.

I noticed that it is not possible to capture doom retro on discord when it is running in fullscreen. Is there a solution to this problem?

46 minutes ago, NieMaMordy said:

I noticed that it is not possible to capture doom retro on discord when it is running in fullscreen. Is there a solution to this problem?

check disabling your antivirus if it let you take a screenshot.

Most problem with the automated generated files like the screenshot its because the antivirus doesn't let programs generate files on their own.

It was my case, and of a good number of other members, so it is probably your case, too.

If thats the case, come back that i will help you configurate your AV to let you take screenshots without problem.

That is not the antivirus problem. What I mean is, that discord does not detect Doom retro's app when it is minimized in fullscreen mode. This makes it impossible to stream it. 

3 minutes ago, NieMaMordy said:

That is not the antivirus problem. What I mean is, that discord does not detect Doom retro's app when it is minimized in fullscreen mode. This makes it impossible to stream it. 

oh, sorry, i missunderstood what you say...

Can't help you with that, as i don't know much about it.

Sorry.

6 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

An issue with SDL I'm guessing. Try changing the vid_borderlesswindow CVAR. That might help. I'll look into it further.

On 4/30/2021 at 5:58 AM, bradharding said:

I'm not sure displaying just black instead is the best solution. 

I'm OK with that. People are generally used to black bar letterboxing for watching movies and such or old 4:3 shows on a PC.

Doom Wiki states that "Mac OS X support is a work-in-progress". Is this still true? If so, what is the current status? Would love to see an official Mac build.

You should add some sort of options menu to turn off some options and edit controls, if some of these aren't your thing.

Hi! Today sees the release of version 4.1 of DOOM Retro! A lot of changes have gone into this one, which I'll list below, the most significant being dithered lighting and a new rocket trail effect. Please visit www.doomretro.com to download, and thank's for your support! (BTW If the 64-bit version didn't work for you in the past, please let me know if it does now.)

• DOOM Retro is now compiled using v16.10 of Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019.
  • Optimizations have been made to further improve the overall performance and stability of DOOM Retro.
  • The correct credits screen will now be displayed in all instances.
  • Minor changes have been made to text that is output to the console.
  • The lighting applied to all walls, floors and ceilings in a map is now dithered. This may be toggled using the new r_ditheredlighting CVAR, which is on by default and off when vanilla mode is enabled.
  • The r_dither CVAR has been deprecated. BOOM-compatible translucent wall textures can no longer be dithered.
  • The smoke trailing behind rockets fired by the player and cyberdemons when the r_rockettrails CVAR is on has been redesigned.
  • The smoke trailing behind rockets fired by the player will no longer spawn too close to their face, obscuring their view, when they hold down a control bound to the +fire action to fire multiple rockets.
  • The following changes have been made to player messages:
    • The grouping of identical player messages can now be toggled using the new groupmessages CVAR, which is on by default and off when vanilla mode is enabled.
    • Player messages are no longer grouped if more than 4 seconds apart.
    • Player messages now fade off the screen smoother when the fade CVAR is on.
    • A bug has been fixed whereby player messages wouldn’t completely fade off of the screen if the console was open and the fade CVAR was on.
  • Any momentum applied to the player will now be removed when enabling freeze mode.
  • Minor improvements have been made to the support of Chex Quest and HacX: Twitch ’n Kill.
  • The power-up sound effect will no longer be played if the player picks up a berserk power-up and they already have one.
  • The player will no longer make a noise if they drop down from a ledge when either freeze mode or no clipping mode is enabled.
  • A bug has been fixed whereby the alert sounds of cyberdemons or spider masterminds wouldn’t be played.
  • The maximum number of blood splats that can be spawned when a corpse slides on the floor and the r_corpses_slide CVAR is on, is now based on its size.
  • A bug has been fixed whereby blood splats could be the wrong color in some instances.
  • Invulnerability and partial invisibility power-ups will now respawn when the respawnitems CCMD is used.
  • Minor changes have been made to the shadows cast by monsters when the r_shadows CVAR is on.
  • Blood splats are now slightly more translucent when the r_bloodsplats_translucency CVAR is on.
  • The shaking effect applied when the player is in a damaging sector and the r_shake_damage CVAR is greater than 0% is now still applied when god mode is enabled.
  • If the WAD file entered manually in the WAD launcher isn’t found, and DOOM Retro then successfully guesses what was intended by finding the nearest match, the wad CVAR will now be updated.
  • The r_hud CVAR is now off by default.
  • The default of the r_bloodsplats_max CVAR has now been doubled to 131,072, and is now also set to when vanilla mode is enabled.
  • A new toggle CCMD has been implemented that can be used to toggle the value of CVARs between on and off.
  • The translucency of item and teleport fogs is now additive when the r_translucency CVAR is on.
  • After loading a savegame, a crash will no longer occur if a blood splat is removed because the sector it is on becomes liquid.
  • The effects of changing the vid_borderlesswindow CVAR in the console are now immediate.
  • The transitions between some screens when the fade CVAR is on are now smoother.
  • Minor improvements have been made to the support of DEHACKED lumps.

1 hour ago, JXC said:

What do you think of Modder's Best Friend?

Support for MBF21 will be coming in the near future. 

Just downloaded it and now i can continue playin' Ancient Aliens WAD ! Great work, thank you !!

12 hours ago, JXC said:

What do you think of Modder's Best Friend?

You mean Marine's Best Friend?

EDIT: Ah, nevermind, I see it's the name of the new specification.

I was playing Suckerpunch 2, and I noticed that when there are two sectors with the same ceiling's height, and both of them use sky texture, a difference in their lighting can be easly observed. 

sky_light.png

6 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

I was playing Suckerpunch 2, and I noticed that when there are two sectors with the same ceiling's height, and both of them use sky texture, a difference in their lighting can be easly observed. 

sky_light.png

Thanks @NieMaMordy. I'll work on fixing this.

Thanks for all your hard work on DOOM Retro. The 64-bit version has not worked for me since version 3.6.1. If I try to start DOOM Retro nothing at all appears to happen. However, Windows logs an application error, and a massive (~100Mb) dmp file is created.

Faulting application name: doomretro.exe, version: 4.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x60bab5f2
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.24545, time stamp: 0x5e0eb67f
Exception code: 0xc0000374

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate patched up to date on my main system. What is puzzling is that an older machine with 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate and a very similar installed software environment (same anti-virus for example) has no trouble starting 64-bit DOOM Retro.

If I copy the doomretro.cfg file from, say, the 32-bit version into the 64-bit folder then 64-bit DOOM Retro starts and appears to work normally. This only works if the cfg file is valid, I tried a dummy cfg file without success. I hope this helps, but I realise that such bugs can be very difficult to resolve.

4 hours ago, Najork said:

Thanks for all your hard work on DOOM Retro. The 64-bit version has not worked for me since version 3.6.1. If I try to start DOOM Retro nothing at all appears to happen. However, Windows logs an application error, and a massive (~100Mb) dmp file is created.

Faulting application name: doomretro.exe, version: 4.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x60bab5f2
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.24545, time stamp: 0x5e0eb67f
Exception code: 0xc0000374

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate patched up to date on my main system. What is puzzling is that an older machine with 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate and a very similar installed software environment (same anti-virus for example) has no trouble starting 64-bit DOOM Retro.

If I copy the doomretro.cfg file from, say, the 32-bit version into the 64-bit folder then 64-bit DOOM Retro starts and appears to work normally. This only works if the cfg file is valid, I tried a dummy cfg file without success. I hope this helps, but I realise that such bugs can be very difficult to resolve.

Thanks for confirming this. Can you please DM the two doomretro.cfg files: the one from the 64-bit version, and the one from the 32-bit version?

Just wanted to say how have I totally missed this port? Just been reading through this thread. (well skimreading.)

Gonna give it a shot. Thanks so much for all your work @bradharding

2 hours ago, bLOCKbOYgAMES said:

Just wanted to say how have I totally missed this port?

It really is a great port. And it seems like it's going to develop compatibility with the new MBF21.

Yes I read a little about MBF21, though I am no expert in that area. It sounds really promising.

Thanks @Adamast0r

Hi Brad, here is a remark, every action has a timestamp, so it must very helpfull a 24 time clock instead a 12 like we have today

Another thing i want bind extra levels by Romero, with a key , but want to this with keypad buttons, it is possible? and if so, how i do that, lets say i want to bind: :bind 'KP7' map e1m4b bind 'KP9' map e1m8b

DoomRetro 4.1 has the same problem reported in earlies versions condump dont work, i cant create a log file, i use this  a lot, when i test a new megawad, looking for incompatibilities wiht DoomRetro.

Thnaks again, to your ward work

8 hours ago, irukanjji said:

Hi Brad, here is a remark, every action has a timestamp, so it must very helpfull a 24 time clock instead a 12 like we have today

Another thing i want bind extra levels by Romero, with a key , but want to this with keypad buttons, it is possible? and if so, how i do that, lets say i want to bind: :bind 'KP7' map e1m4b bind 'KP9' map e1m8b

DoomRetro 4.1 has the same problem reported in earlies versions condump dont work, i cant create a log file, i use this  a lot, when i test a new megawad, looking for incompatibilities wiht DoomRetro.

Thnaks again, to your ward work

Hi,

I'll look at bringing back the con_timestamps CVAR, but this time have values "12hour" (default), "24hour" or "off".

At this stage you can't bind a control separately to the keypad. I'll see if it'll be viable to change that. In the meantime, with numlock off, you could bind to home/end/pgup/pgdn and that will work, provided those keys aren't bound to something else.

condump not working again for you? I have no idea, sorry. I'll continue to look into it, and DM you if I have any suggestions.

Thanks.

I recently started to notice these black lines at points where two flats collide. Is that something that can be fixed somehow? These screenshots were taken on MAP02 of Sucker Punch 2 and MAP01 of Lunatic

Also, when taking the second screenshot, I noticed that pausing the game (in a way that makes the 'paused' header appear) while berserk red overlay is visible, results in it disappearing from the screen upon unpausing. 

2021-06-22 13_20_40-MAP02_ Live-Fire Exercise.png

2021-06-22 13_30_04-MAP01_ One Small Step....png

I'm in love with the new dithered lighting, it really adds to Doom Retro's unique retro aesthetic!

The dither pattern is very regular and appears attached to the viewport instead of the geometry. It looks a lot better in screenshots than it does moving. Lucas Pope apparently struggled with this a lot when developing the Return of the Obra Dinn. He wrote a pretty fascinating devlog about it. It sounds like he settled on a particular spherical mapping of the grid pattern. Would you consider a similar solution?

Thanks again for your continuing work on my favorite source port!

18 hours ago, NieMaMordy said:

I recently started to notice these black lines at points where two flats collide. Is that something that can be fixed somehow? These screenshots were taken on MAP02 of Sucker Punch 2 and MAP01 of Lunatic

Also, when taking the second screenshot, I noticed that pausing the game (in a way that makes the 'paused' header appear) while berserk red overlay is visible, results in it disappearing from the screen upon unpausing. 

Unfortunately those black lines are due to rounding errors in Vanilla Doom's software renderer. You'll notice the same thing in other source ports in software (except ZDoom family, and Eternity's cardboard renderer, maybe others). I may work out how to fix this one day.

I'll look at fixing the other error though. Thanks for this.

9 hours ago, MrDowntempo said:

I'm in love with the new dithered lighting, it really adds to Doom Retro's unique retro aesthetic!

The dither pattern is very regular and appears attached to the viewport instead of the geometry. It looks a lot better in screenshots than it does moving. Lucas Pope apparently struggled with this a lot when developing the Return of the Obra Dinn. He wrote a pretty fascinating devlog about it. It sounds like he settled on a particular spherical mapping of the grid pattern. Would you consider a similar solution?

Thanks again for your continuing work on my favorite source port!

Thanks @MrDowntempo. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. After a quick look at that article - very interesting! I'll see what I can do!