Plasma Gun

[UPDATED] The DOOM System Upgrade Thread

agb1223 said:

windows 10 64 bit
Intel i5 2500 @ 3.3ghz
8gb dual channel ddr 3 @ 668 mhz
asustek P8P67 LE (LGA1155)
Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1gb

If I upgrade my graphics card to a 970 will I be okay?

Thanks in advance!

Also, 650 watt power supply. :)

agb1223 said:

windows 10 64 bit
Intel i5 2500 @ 3.3ghz
8gb dual channel ddr 3 @ 668 mhz
asustek P8P67 LE (LGA1155)
Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1gb

If I upgrade my graphics card to a 970 will I be okay?

Thanks in advance!

I have identical CPU/Motherboard to you, a GTX970 and 16GB of RAM. The Beta ran great at 1080p. I would suggest throwing another 8GB of RAM in there when you get the 970, it'll be dead cheap and it'll help a bit. Other than that, yeah you should be fine.

you have 1333mhz ram agb1223 - it's double rate so you need to take it x2

AirRaid is right with the new GPU - but I don't think more ram will change anything, even The Division doesn't gets my 8GB to the limit - 16GB won't be bad though so if you have some extra money you do nothing wrong with buying more ram

Since the beta killed my old 570 and I have no sense of self-control, I just dropped the cash for a 980 Ti. Thanks, Doom! :D

Conveniently, it'll also hit my doorstep on just the right date for me to go home and impulse-buy Dark Souls 3, so there's my pre-Doom plan all set.

Xaser said:

Since the beta killed my old 570 and I have no sense of self-control, I just dropped the cash for a 980 Ti. Thanks, Doom! :D

Conveniently, it'll also hit my doorstep on just the right date for me to go home and impulse-buy Dark Souls 3, so there's my pre-Doom plan all set.

Baller. 980 Ti is awesome. What model/make of 980 Ti did you get? :-)

Moon Marin said:

On the manufactures website for that motherboard.
4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory
Support for DDR3 1600/1333 MHz memory modules

ddr3 is compatible. the brand of ddr3 literally doesn't matter at all.

Also, based on your previous posts i'd recommend skipping the i7 and just getting a higher grade i5, if they have one available. a 4670/4670k would be great and would give you the same gaming performance, better even if you get the K version and overclock for the money, seeing as a quad core is the sweet spot for games right now and the return investment on an 8 core/thread chip is a premium you don't need to pay for.

Alternatively go with the cheaper i5 and invest that money into a better gpu, or a second gpu. You can always sell your gtx 960 and take the saved money and get a 970 to replace it, or the amd 380 equivalent. That is the way you'd get the maximum gaming performance across the board.

With your 960 you are going to be disapointed with your game performance after blowing all this money on upgraded parts, the 960 is going to be a big bottleneck for an i7 chip and its really wasted money. You'd get the same performance on an i7 as you likely will on the cheaper i5 if you keep the 960 since that will be the slowest part of your rig in either scenario.

Thank you for this explanation.

After reading I considered the possibility of replacing my video card, but after some extra thoughts, I decided I will go with the i7 chip. The reason is to "future proof" the system a bit. Last time I built my system (around 5 years ago) I also went for the "this should work for now" approach and got the i5. Today I find that had I bought the i7 back then, I wouldnt have had to make this whole mess now :P

However, you got me thinking quite a bit about the video card. While I understand that the 960 will end up bottlenecking the system, I think it will be easier for me to get a better card later on. Say, in a year or so. Sadly enough, since I hadnt planned any of all these upgrades, I never thought of getting a 970 for example, so I went with the "cheaper" option. I still ended using quite a bit of cash, but at that point I didnt even think I'd end up replacing the whole system. I asked around to see if I could "resell" the 960 to get the 970, but what they told me was disheartening (i will round the numbers with a non accurate currency conversion for simplicity).

I bought the 960 for around $240. If I were to resell it to this same people, even though it's 3 months old, they would give me $140 tops (a bit over half of the price). And the 970 is anywhere between $410 - $470. Yeah, insane prices here (and as seen before, ordering from outside the country also means extra fees of this, and that, and whatnot). So, my option is to try to resell it through online mediums at a better price, or resell it to the same guys that sold it to me. The former means more money, but who knows when, and the latter is plain sad. So Im gonna stick with the 960 for now, until I really find I need to upgrade it. If this one works to run doom (not at HUGE DETAIL or anything like that) Im okay with it.

For now all the money was focused in getting the new computer built.

I wonder if my computer would even be worth upgrading or if I should just eventually try to get a new one entirely.

Intel Core2 Duo 3.16GHz Processor, 5 GB DDR2 1.8v RAM, AMD HD 5670 512MB with an Intel X4500 as the integrated chip, 365-watt PSU. It's a Compaq DC7900 Mini-tower that I was given as a gift. I was told the best GPU this thing could handle without some serious upgrading is the GeForce GTX 750 Ti and I expect 8 GB (4x2) at some point in the near future so that'll upgrade the RAM at least a moderate amount.

MetroidJunkie said:

I wonder if my computer would even be worth upgrading or if I should just eventually try to get a new one entirely.

Intel Core2 Duo 3.16GHz Processor, 5 GB DDR2 1.8v RAM, AMD HD 5670 512MB with an Intel X4500 as the integrated chip, 365-watt PSU. It's a Compaq DC7900 Mini-tower that I was given as a gift. I was told the best GPU this thing could handle without some serious upgrading is the GeForce GTX 750 Ti and I expect 8 GB (4x2) at some point in the near future so that'll upgrade the RAM at least a moderate amount.

not worth upgrading

MetroidJunkie said:

It depends. What's the maximum you are able to spend at the current moment?

dbthanatos said:

Thank you for this explanation.

After reading I considered the possibility of replacing my video card, but after some extra thoughts, I decided I will go with the i7 chip. The reason is to "future proof" the system a bit. Last time I built my system (around 5 years ago) I also went for the "this should work for now" approach and got the i5. Today I find that had I bought the i7 back then, I wouldnt have had to make this whole mess now :P

However, you got me thinking quite a bit about the video card. While I understand that the 960 will end up bottlenecking the system, I think it will be easier for me to get a better card later on. Say, in a year or so. Sadly enough, since I hadnt planned any of all these upgrades, I never thought of getting a 970 for example, so I went with the "cheaper" option. I still ended using quite a bit of cash, but at that point I didnt even think I'd end up replacing the whole system. I asked around to see if I could "resell" the 960 to get the 970, but what they told me was disheartening (i will round the numbers with a non accurate currency conversion for simplicity).

I bought the 960 for around $240. If I were to resell it to this same people, even though it's 3 months old, they would give me $140 tops (a bit over half of the price). And the 970 is anywhere between $410 - $470. Yeah, insane prices here (and as seen before, ordering from outside the country also means extra fees of this, and that, and whatnot). So, my option is to try to resell it through online mediums at a better price, or resell it to the same guys that sold it to me. The former means more money, but who knows when, and the latter is plain sad. So Im gonna stick with the 960 for now, until I really find I need to upgrade it. If this one works to run doom (not at HUGE DETAIL or anything like that) Im okay with it.

For now all the money was focused in getting the new computer built.

There is no need to dump the 960 for now. Build the new system, enjoy some games, and when the time comes that the 960 is no longer cutting it I guarantee you that there will be much faster cards available in the market at all price points.

has anyone tried to run the game on a laptop yet?

which laptop/specs is the most desirable?

MetroidJunkie said:

Let's just say low.

I strongly advise you to NOT put any cent in this system - you would need to upgrade EVERYTHING to run this game at least on a moderate level - what would be a new system anyway

Someone suggested I get a new motherboard and DDR3 RAM and then upgrade the rest gradually, would the mini-tower not be suitable for such a thing?

MetroidJunkie said:

Someone suggested I get a new motherboard and DDR3 RAM and then upgrade the rest gradually, would the mini-tower not be suitable for such a thing?

your cpu can't handle modern games (I had the same cpu 8 years ago, it's a core 2 duo E8500 - it's a dual core and very outdated today) and it's a socket 775 cpu so you can't put a new cpu on your mainboard which means you'd need a new mainboard too

let's go to your RAM, 5GB ddr2 is really damn oldschool, you need at least 8GB ddr3 and I guess you can't put ddr3 ram on that board

your gpu is super old so you need a new one too, a 750ti can run this game on low/medium with ~25-30fps but it really depends on the system, some people couldn't even run the game with that gpu - anyway a 365watt psu is probably not strong enough to handle a GOOD gpu

So I'd have to get a new motherboard, new RAM, and a new CPU at minimum. Would I also require a new case or should this one be able to work? Would all the other components function as normal until I can get upgrades to replace them?

MetroidJunkie said:

So I'd have to get a new motherboard, new RAM, and a new CPU at minimum. Would I also require a new case or should this one be able to work? Would all the other components function as normal until I can get upgrades to replace them?

yes and a new GPU - and maaaaybe a new PSU but I'm not 100% sure about that because modern low budget CPU/GPU don't eat that much power

I don't know much about mini towers, I always buy mid towers :/

I mean the minimum to get a functioning computer, actually making Doom run will have to wait because I can't just get everything at once. Whatever will get me a functioning computer that I can upgrade to be Doom ready in the future will be my first step. I assume my AMD card would still function just fine in a new motherboard, right? Until I can afford to replace it.

MetroidJunkie said:

I assume my AMD card would still function just fine in a new motherboard, right? Until I can afford to replace it.

Yes

MetroidJunkie

Here's the "foundational" system that I would recommend:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($61.38 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $585.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-10 14:22 EDT-0400

With this system in place + the old Radeon HD 5700, you should have a solidly functioning system that will play older games OK. Once you pop in a new GPU (I would recommend saving to buy a $300-ish GPU), it'll be a fabulous gaming system.

Plasma Gun said:

MetroidJunkie

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($61.38 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.98 @ Newegg)

With this system in place + the old Radeon HD 5700, you should have a solidly functioning system that will play older games OK. Once you pop in a new GPU (I would recommend saving to buy a $300-ish GPU), it'll be a fabulous gaming system.

Solid advice, although as someone who has been using micro atx for my home PCs for ~10 years, my current will be my last. While it's nice to have the small profile in a cluttered room/desk, the negatives pile up:

*much more difficult to work inside the case and do nice wiring etc, takes me about 5x as long to perform a simple task (especially wiring/cable management) than on my full ATX workstation.
*the increased size of GPUs these days means it is very likely you will not have physical access to all the buses on your motherboard. My new radeon obscures one PCI slot and two SATA connections
*again because of the increased GPU size, it may be almost touching other devices inside there, reducing airflow and impeding cooling ability.
*the full ATX motherboard market has much more products out there to choose from, while the micro ATX market can be quite limited if you have specific needs

The important stuff:

(Originally Built in Summer 2013)

Windows 7 SP 1
Intel i7-4770k
16 GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 970 (Upgraded from a 660ti when the 970s first came out)

Should run just fine for Doom at 1080p with max settings. Kind of glad I did the GPU upgrade, because it sounds like the 660ti would just barely make the cut.

Probably won't be much for multiplayer though, but we'll see. Let's hear it for Fiber Optics screwing the big cities over! \o/

Plasma Gun said:

MetroidJunkie

GREAT setup.
Actually you can use Windows 10 LEGALLY without license (saving 100U$D) and use an older optical drive (if you really need one..). IMHO only 8 Gb of RAM are OK for now. Termaltake Core V1 chassis is slightly cheaper but absolutely great in quality. So you could save even more money, buy a GTX 970 instead, and play DOOM at max settings in 1080p on day one! ;)

Had around 35-60 FPS in BETA @1080p.

AMD-FX 4100 @ 3.6Ghz
MSI GTX960-4GB
8GB RAM
Samsung SSD 250 EVO
WIN7-64

I will try a used FX-8350 on my board to see what happens.

antiriad said:

GREAT setup.
Actually you can use Windows 10 LEGALLY without license (saving 100U$D) and use an older optical drive (if you really need one..). IMHO only 8 Gb of RAM are OK for now. Termaltake Core V1 chassis is slightly cheaper but absolutely great in quality. So you could save even more money, buy a GTX 970 instead, and play DOOM at max settings in 1080p on day one! ;)

I don't know how a Windows 10 license can be obtained for free legally.

Does that obnoxious "PLEASE UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10 PLEASE WE'LL GIVE IT TO YOU FREE PLEASE" taskbar thing not count?

Deatheye said:

Seems fine, but I'd take another CPU

Could you elaborate on this? I just bought a 6400 and I'm curious about your issues with it.