Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

[v1.5] Doom 64: Retribution

2 hours ago, Erick194 said:

it is running on a modified GZDoom 1.9.1 which haven't been released yet. 

We know it as GZDoom [GEC] Master Edition.

Interesting, why did you branch from 1.9 rather than 2.4?

Simple, GZDoom 2.4, the Doom 64 lighting style uses modern shaders and my PC supports

GL_VERSION 2.1.0
GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION 1.20

which it wouldn't work on GZDoom 2.4. That's why I dedicated myself to work on the Doom 64 lighting style with the GZDoom 1.8.6. so i decided to update it to 1.9.1. here are the results.

Edited by Erick194

2 hours ago, Erick194 said:

Simple, GZDoom 2.4, the Doom 64 lighting style uses modern shaders and my PC supports

GL_VERSION 2.1.0
GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION 1.20

which it wouldn't work on GZDoom 2.4. That's why I dedicated myself to work on the Doom 64 lighting style with th e GZDoom !.8.6. so i decided to update it to 1.9.1. here are the results.

Neato. Perhaps once you're finished you could propose the functions to Graf to hopefully get widespread support for ACS functions that make use of the new lightning system for people that use the most recent SVN's.

Really, the functionality for the current sector coloring is pretty limited, considering you can't even retrieve the RGB values via ACS.

9 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

Maybe the Unmaker shot has so many particles that can produce in an instant. That could be the cause of the lagging. Also it can happen with the rocket trail :)

Well then, how am I supposed to get rid of those particles or at least reduce them to a normal level? r_particles false and r_maxparticles 0 don't do anything with D64 Retribution

1 hour ago, Danfun64 said:

Well then, how am I supposed to get rid of those particles or at least reduce them to a normal level? r_particles false and r_maxparticles 0 don't do anything with D64 Retribution

I myself didn't notice the Unmaker spawning any particles.

When I fired the Unmaker it did not lag me though it seems like the actual beam is made up of a lot individual sprites that spawned really close to each other so maybe that's what is lagging you?

1 hour ago, Unholypimp1n said:

Really digging this mod, now we just need people to make custom maps using this mod.

I second this, I would really love to use this mod as a base for Innocence 64.

Though I am wondering if Nevender would release a "mapless" version of this.

Eventually I hope to put together a final version of my Doom 64 Weapons Only mod I made a while back (which is terrible now, don't use it lol). Within it I will basically bring over all the weapons directly from Retribution including the classic animations and casings.

Decided to try it nevertheless.

Well, unfortunately, I can't unsee the horribly distorted perspective on that "classic" shotgun reloading animation, so the presence of those new sprites can't make me happy. Moreso, the plasma rifle never had recoil in the original game, and I don't think that the sole existence of a fan-made animation for it warranted its inclusion.

I think that maybe the modified weapons should be a separate add-on for those who don't mind.

I noticed thay the monsters don't fade in, but instead, teleport in. Not a fan of that to be honest.

There is creepy vibe that happens when monsters fade into thin air.

maybe have that as an optional thing in the menu as well.

46 minutes ago, Da Werecat said:

Decided to try it nevertheless.

Well, unfortunately, I can't unsee the horribly distorted perspective on that "classic" shotgun reloading animation, so the presence of those new sprites can't make me happy. Moreso, the plasma rifle never had recoil in the original game, and I don't think that the sole existence of a fan-made animation for it warranted its inclusion.

I think that maybe the modified weapons should be a separate add-on for those who don't mind.

I don't think I follow your train of thought here... the modified weapons are already toggleable. What more do I need? The classic animations are basically just like the original with the exception of the Chaingun, so anything "horribly distorted" isn't my fault. Emulating that one is hard, I don't even know how Doom 64 did it.

17 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

I noticed thay the monsters don't fade in, but instead, teleport in. Not a fan of that to be honest.

There is creepy vibe that happens when monsters fade into thin air.

maybe have that as an optional thing in the menu as well.

Doing that would be a lot of extra work TBH. I'd have to go back and modify every map's script to do a cvar check prior to spawning to determine how to spawn the monster. Is that effort really worth the 2 seconds for the fade in effect? I consider this change to be an executive decision I made when I first started and I stand by the change as the mod author.

20 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Doing that would be a lot of extra work TBH. I'd have to go back and modify every map's script to do a cvar check prior to spawning to determine how to spawn the monster. Is that effort really worth the 2 seconds for the fade in effect?

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, yes?

Things that fade in and out are one of the hallmarks of Doom 64. It's a bit like saying that colored lighting is too much to set up so fuck it.

I don't think I follow your train of thought here... the modified weapons are already toggleable.

I'm sorry, I didn't know that.

The classic animations are basically just like the original with the exception of the Chaingun, so anything "horribly distorted" isn't my fault.

I didn't say it was your fault.

Edited by Da Werecat

Guest DILDOMASTER666
2 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

I second this, I would really love to use this mod as a base for Innocence 64.

Though I am wondering if Nevender would release a "mapless" version of this.

Why not map for Doom 64 Ex...? Not to be rude, I just don't follow.

7 minutes ago, DILDOMASTER666 said:

Why not map for Doom 64 Ex...? Not to be rude, I just don't follow.

Because GZDoom has a lot of things D64 EX doesn't.

Easier Scripting.

DECORATE.

and is over all the more popular source port.

I tried making it for EX but it was too restricting for me.

Mapping for EX is really restrictive. You'll get the true Doom 64 experience but you'll only be able to play it on EX.

I was also not a fan of the editor.

Also It was difficult to base your lighting on colors alone, using numerical values made lighting a lot easier to manipulate.

If you plan on having multiplayer support in the future then a CVAR that controls the spawning method really wouldn't work.

Since you already know where I stand, I'd recommend you just convert all of the spawns to the Doom 64 native spawning. It really wouldn't take that long to do if you did it right. Just open up the scripts in SLADE, CTRL + F and the rest is self explanatory.

Nevander: In Outpost Omega, the Unmaker should be marked as a secret. Same as in Altar of Pain, where you found the secret exit, like the secret exit in map 04. Also, in the automap, the sector where the skybox is, it's shown. That sector should be flagged as "not shown in map". I'm playing in Zandronum btw :). Still no secrets bugged found, I'm on map 13 now.

12 hours ago, jdagenet said:

I myself didn't notice the Unmaker spawning any particles.

When I fired the Unmaker it did not lag me though it seems like the actual beam is made up of a lot individual sprites that spawned really close to each other so maybe that's what is lagging you?

Well, the lag with the Unmaker occurs after getting the rapid fire upgrade when I hold the fire button. It is especially laggy when fired over long distances.

On 5.4.2017 at 11:22 AM, Nevander said:

but AFAIK they can't be changed in-game with ACS yet.

Not directly, but with ZScript you can, and with a bit of work you could also do some thinkers that can do a gradual color change.

From ACS you'd have to do a ScriptCall to such code then.

5 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

Also, in the automap, the sector where the skybox is, it's shown. That sector should be flagged as "not shown in map". I'm playing in Zandronum btw :).

This is something I can't pinpoint why it's happening. For me I never see the skybox sector show up in the automap, the lines are set to not be shown on map and they never do for me. I watched a stream where for them it showed up too with the cloud texture and everything and I don't know why it did for them. They were on GZDoom though so it's not a Zandronum thing.

4 hours ago, Danfun64 said:

Well, the lag with the Unmaker occurs after getting the rapid fire upgrade when I hold the fire button. It is especially laggy when fired over long distances.

Sounds like the amount of trail projectiles that are spawned are too much to process for your laptop. There's really not much I can do unless I change the whole way the Unmaker fires, and I don't know how else I could do the laser.

3 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Not directly, but with ZScript you can, and with a bit of work you could also do some thinkers that can do a gradual color change.

From ACS you'd have to do a ScriptCall to such code then.

Will ACS alone be able to change them in the future? Even if it simply takes the values from a dummy sector and applies them to the sector in question would be fine (since that's how the original game did it). If not then I suppose those sectors which change would have to remain single sector colored to be change friendly with ACS.

About the skybox, probably it's the texture display option in GZDoom/Zandronum. The same thing happened in Breakdown when you go to the second floor.

This is something I can't pinpoint why it's happening. For me I never see the skybox sector show up in the automap, the lines are set to not be shown on map and they never do for me. I watched a stream where for them it showed up too with the cloud texture and everything and I don't know why it did for them. They were on GZDoom though so it's not a Zandronum thing.

If people are using the textured automap, then floor flats can appear on the map even if the lines are hidden. You need to set the sector to be hidden from the automap too.

36 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

About the skybox, probably it's the texture display option in GZDoom/Zandronum. The same thing happened in Breakdown when you go to the second floor.

20 minutes ago, Gez said:

If people are using the textured automap, then floor flats can appear on the map even if the lines are hidden. You need to set the sector to be hidden from the automap too.

Wow. So you have to both 1) have the textured automap on and 2) be at the same level that the skybox sector is. Why does it even show the skybox sector though if it's a sector outside the map? Normally a sector outside like that would never show up in the standard automap so why does textured display suddenly cause it to appear? That's why I never noticed is because I never use textured automap.

12 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Wow. So you have to both 1) have the textured automap on and 2) be at the same level that the skybox sector is. Why does it even show the skybox sector though if it's a sector outside the map? Normally a sector outside like that would never show up in the standard automap so why does textured display suddenly cause it to appear? That's why I never noticed is because I never use textured automap.

Well, textured automap is useful for finding secrets in sectors that are not showing in the map :P

The running speed is tricky because it feels slower but it's actually still pretty fast, at least in EX. I made a close approximation because I don't know where to look for the original running speed. EX doesn't have actor definitions I can just look up and find all this stuff, unless I'm looking in the wrong place in the source code for EX. I tried to gauge the speed based on the ease of being able to cross gaps like in Holding Area and Outpost Omega.

21 minutes ago, Nevander said:

The running speed is tricky because it feels slower but it's actually still pretty fast, at least in EX. I made a close approximation because I don't know where to look for the original running speed. EX doesn't have actor definitions I can just look up and find all this stuff, unless I'm looking in the wrong place in the source code for EX. I tried to gauge the speed based on the ease of being able to cross gaps like in Holding Area and Outpost Omega.

Unless you play it in Zandro with the air control :D

On 4/5/2017 at 7:41 PM, Erick194 said:

Yes, it is! it is running on a modified GZDoom 1.9.1 which haven't been released yet. 

We know it as GZDoom [GEC] Master Edition.

Ah, 1.9.1 is the only stable version for my computer. I already tried newer versions and they strangely crash. That version you have would be really nice to have/be released.