Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doommer

Best Engine for all DOOM WADs

The Doommer said:

I have trouble using ZDoom , because it's movement controls are not making sense. Isn't there a better engine instead of that which can support mouse movement ? (If we don't count PrBoom+)

What do you mean by "controls not making sense"? If you mean it's not WASD, then that won't really be any different with most other ports. Doom used arrow keys for movement (and the left and right arrow where for "turn", not "strafe") so those have been retained as the default controls in nearly all ports. Changing that is quickly done.

If you mean something else, then, I don't know. You can try Eternity, it should be just about as simple to use as ZDoom (will find IWADs in the Steam folder; can load files through drag-and-drop instead of having to use command line and the -file parameter).

nxGangrel said:

I would say Zdoom and GZdoom could run the most wads.

Indeed. Incompatible features are not used that much.
"it runs" does not always mean playable the way the author intended or even completable at all, though. Especially when it relies on bugs of which Zdoom fixed a lot.
The best option is usually the engine the text file recommends which comes with the wad. For vanilla wads, PrBoom with appropriate compatibility options is a good alternative to low-res Chocolate Doom.
And Doom95 is the engine you'll never need.

Each PWAD is made for a specific IWAD in mind (map naming format, available textures and monsters, etc). You as the player need to read textfile and use the correct one IWAD to run the PWAD with.

scifista42 said:

Each PWAD is made for a specific IWAD in mind (map naming format, available textures and monsters, etc). You as the player need to read textfile and use the correct one IWAD to run the PWAD with.

One of them asked to use DOOM II v 1.9 , but the same result after opening the file.

Not all PWADs replace the first map. Read the PWAD's text file to find what maps it replaces, then use a frontend to go to the appropriate map. That way you won't have to fiddle with command line.

LogicDeLuxe said:

Indeed. Incompatible features are not used that much.
"it runs" does not always mean playable the way the author intended or even completable at all, though. Especially when it relies on bugs of which Zdoom fixed a lot.
The best option is usually the engine the text file recommends which comes with the wad. For vanilla wads, PrBoom with appropriate compatibility options is a good alternative to low-res Chocolate Doom.
And Doom95 is the engine you'll never need.

Interesting. Thanks for the tip!

GZDoom uses an OpenGL (hardware) renderer. ZDoom uses classic Doom's (software) renderer. You can setup GZDoom to use software renderer too, though. Feature sets of both ports are basically the same. They're constantly in development, but practically in sync with each other.

scifista42 said:

Feature sets of both ports are basically the same. They're constantly in development, but practically in sync with each other.

Really? I thought GZDoom was based on some obsolete version of ZDoom?

Foxpup said:

You must be confusing with Zandronum.

Foxpup said:

This description fits Skulltag, Zandronum, ZDaemon, Odamex, csDoom and other. Not really GZDoom.

Gez said:

You must be confusing with Zandronum.

On closer examination, yes. Yes, I was. >.<

WHICH wads are you talking about?
Some wads do not contain maps, but only new graphics or sounds...
Please be a little bit more precise.:-)

Never_Again said:

That's too much like hard work, might actually yield results without third-party input, and isn't nearly as much fun as having a forum full of strangers resorting to tea leaf reading or other forms of divination in an attempt to make sense of poorly phrased questions.

GreyGhost said:

That's too much like hard work, might actually yield results without third-party input, and isn't nearly as much fun as having a forum full of strangers resorting to tea leaf reading or other forms of divination in an attempt to make sense of poorly phrased questions.

I'm not filling this forum for fun !

DoomGater said:

WHICH wads are you talking about?
Some wads do not contain maps, but only new graphics or sounds...
Please be a little bit more precise.:-)

Allhell.wad for example. It said that it replaces the Doomm 2 M1-5 , but i see only new weapons and monsters. no new map. all in doom 2 maps.

That's because All Hell Is Breaking Loose is broken down into 4 pwads and one dehacked you have to load, just loading allhell.wad won't cut it.

You can look at my batch file for this mod as an example of how to load it.

cd ..\base\prboom-plus
set DOOMSAVEDIR=.\Save\allhell
start glboom-plus.exe -iwad ..\doom2\doom2.wad -file ..\pwads\doom2\CLEV2\allhell\Allhell.wad ..\pwads\doom2\CLEV2\allhell\ahflats.wad ..\pwads\doom2\CLEV2\allhell\Ahlevels.wad ..\pwads\doom2\CLEV2\allhell\Ahmus.wad -deh ..\pwads\doom2\CLEV2\allhell\allhell.deh -complevel 2

If you dump everything into the engine folder you can just run this:

glboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file Allhell.wad ahflats.wad Ahlevels.wad Ahmus.wad -deh allhell.deh -complevel 2

Of course, for other engines replace glboom-plus.exe with whatever engine you use and remove -complevel 2.

ReFracture said:

That's because All Hell Is Breaking Loose is broken down into 4 pwads and one dehacked you have to load, just loading allhell.wad won't cut it.

You can look at my batch file for this mod as an example of how to load it.

cd ..\base\prboom-plus
set DOOMSAVEDIR=.\Save\allhell
start glboom-plus.exe -iwad ..\doom2\doom2.wad -file ..\pwads\doom2\CLEV2\allhell\Allhell.wad ..\pwads\doom2\CLEV2\allhell\ahflats.wad ..\pwads\doom2\CLEV2\allhell\Ahlevels.wad ..\pwads\doom2\CLEV2\allhell\Ahmus.wad -deh ..\pwads\doom2\CLEV2\allhell\allhell.deh -complevel 2

If you dump everything into the engine folder you can just run this:

glboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file Allhell.wad ahflats.wad Ahlevels.wad Ahmus.wad -deh allhell.deh -complevel 2

Of course, for other engines replace glboom-plus.exe with whatever engine you use and remove -complevel 2.

On console of course ?
May i open all them at the same time with the source port ?

The Doommer said:

May i open all them at the same time with the source port ?

Yes.

In fact with ZDoom you can make things quite a bit simpler.

1. Rename allhell.deh into dehacked.deh
2. Zip dehacked.deh, allhell.wad, ahflats.wad, ahlevels.wad, and ahmus.wad together into a file which you can call something like ah.zip or ah.pk3.
3. Drag and drop ah.pk3 on ZDoom or GZDoom, and there you go.