Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SyntherAugustus

REMEMBER THE FALLEN!!!! (Second Anniversary)

Fredrik said:

I have a ~5 years old poster of New York in my room :\

Too bad they're not repairing that skyline!

footman said:

Wrong, it was truly a day of grief for the United States, noone else really gave a damn, afaik.

You fucktard. People all around the world, including much of the Arab world, joined in mourning the dead and showing support for the US.

Personally, I can still get shocked by the footage but it's been two years so I really don't care much anymore. I have no problem with admitting I have a short attention span and never gave a fuck about all those dead people anyway. Or maybe it's because their deaths have been constantly (ab)used by US media and the Bush administration to sell the blatant religious fanaticism and lies that led to the current situation. The US is digging a hole for itself and dragging the entire world with it in the process. Which is bad.

SlayeR said:

Heh, when I first heard about it (on the radio when it woke me up in the morning) it reminded me of the intro movie to Command and Conquer...

It reminded ME of a the instant in "Escape From New York" when Air Force One crashed into a skyscraper...

Psyonisis said:

People don't follow Patriotism, because it's "not cool."

What's cool is going against society, and making a fucking statement that nobody cares about, and doesn't make scense if you think about it. Fucking shit, if you gave Hitler a megaphone, people would listen to him. That is one reason why we have these terrorist attacks. Because people refuse to think for themselves.

I don't mind people who are truly against things like the war. But the people I'm forced to be around just jump on the fucking bandwagon. It's chic to be antiwar and antibush. I have proof because in 5th grade (I'm 9th right know) we had to think of a way we could help the population be lowered. All of a sudden, people start saying "Bomb India!" and only me and one or two other kids don't. Meanwhile, there's an Indian kid in the class (who is know one of my best friends) who starts crying. All the kids who were chanting it are antiwar now. But you know what they're excuse was when the teacher got mad? Do you know what thier fucking excuse was?

They're fucking excuse was "I only did it because everyone else was."

That is the most fucked up thing ever.

insertwackynamehere said:

People don't follow Patriotism, because it's "not cool."

No, people genuinely are sick of so called 'patriots' whining and gurning and being morons and blowing the shit out of some pissant third world country that no one gives a flying fuck at the moon about.

The bandwagon antiwar mongs are protecting your rights as an american, something you might miss in the future when your goverment sticks a tracing beacon up your ass and sends you off to fight a bunch of turbanators in some shithole desert of a country whose name you can't even spell.

darknation said:

...your goverment sticks a tracing beacon up your ass...

It's on its way. US DOD is already looking into implementing it. Unfortunately, it's not anally inserted. :P It is, however, to be inserted into the hand and will carry all your personal identification information as well as trace your position. It's pretty much straight out of "The Revelation." (Makes me wonder about all those Biblical self-fulfilling prophecy scenarios.)

Heh...Darknation is the lord of wit and wisdom.

Anyway, I remember 9/11 pretty well. When I woke up my sister was talking about how she heard that a plane had crashed into the WTC and I was like "Eh...some jackass wasn't looking where he was going and crashed into some buildings in New York" (I didnt realize they were the tallest buildings in the city at the time). I didn't know the full extent of the damage until I got to school (the first tower fell as I was walking out the door and the second one went down while I was en route to school). When I got there I sat down with a couple of my close friends and as we watched the TV we dicussed basicaly 'well this is what we get when we stick our noses in other people business' which is more or less spot on.

The following month or so was relatively frightening to me because for one my mom worked at the top of the tallest building in Seatte (though they didn't let anyone inside for a while anyway), and also because it was so damn quiet. I'm used to constant noise because I live under a major flight path and next to a highway. But in the aftermath, they grounded all the planes for a while, and the local military bases were closed off so there goes a significant portion of the population. About a third of my school didn't show up because they were either living on a base and couldn't leave, were too frightened to go out in public, or were using that as an excuse just not to go. Few cars on the road and no planes in the sky make it eerily quiet out around here. I think what startled me the most though was when I was sitting around watching TV and they stopped the broadcasts to announce we were at war with Afghanistan.

Interestingly enough, even though I had no idea tonight was 9/11, I was discussing politics with someone I know (which I rarely ever do) and we were listing all the things horrible that have happened since Bush took office. THat was an interesting car trip... Ah anyway, I'm going to play ohGr - Chemtale right now as a personal protest against senor dickcheese. You know, to celebrate the holiday.

Fucking shit, if you gave Hitler a megaphone, people would listen to him.

Ummmm, wasn't that one of the keys to his success? He was an accomplished and successful speaker, able to motivate thousands of people into patriotic fervour by the skilful use of words (and of course, the threat of death and dismemberment). People did listen to him; he was very good at making sure they did. Pity there was that big drawback about him being a genocidal maniac with plans for world domination.

As for September the 11th, I remember getting home from work and hearing what probably turned out to be the understatement of the year from my mother in law - "I think I heard on the news there has been a 'plane crash in America or something". (Mind you, her recent appraisal of the killing of Qusay and Uday Hussein was "They've killed his sons - that mannie ah the fechtin' wis aboot" (that man all the fighting was about - in local Scots dialect)).

Of course when I turned on the TV I was absolutely dumbstruck by what was unfolding. Something that looked as spectacular as a big budget Hollywood movie, but real and very, very terrible. I felt sad for the people involved, I felt sad for the human race, and I felt scared that "America" would make some asinine response and make someone, anyone pay. I also felt that as a result of the attack, and of ill considered responses, we would all live in darker, more paranoid and more dangerous times.

Enjay said:

Ummmm, wasn't that one of the keys to his success? He was an accomplished and successful speaker, able to motivate thousands of people into patriotic fervour by the skilful use of words (and of course, the threat of death and dismemberment). People did listen to him; he was very good at making sure they did. Pity there was that big drawback about him being a genocidal maniac with plans for world domination.

My point exactley

Enjay said:

I felt sad for the people involved, I felt sad for the human race, and I felt scared that "America" would make some asinine response and make someone, anyone pay. I also felt that as a result of the attack, and of ill considered responses, we would all live in darker, more paranoid and more dangerous times.

My thoughts exactly at that time. On that day, around 7:30 AM here, I was at school. "I feel sick" was all I could manage to figure out how to say about the situation. I could tell it was just another giant leap toward the cyberpunk era.

Enjay said:

I felt scared that "America" would make some asinine response and make someone, anyone pay. I also felt that as a result of the attack, and of ill considered responses, we would all live in darker, more paranoid and more dangerous times.

Bombing the shit out of Afghanistan when all the hijackers came from Saudi Arabia wasn't asinine?

The 11th was teachers day over here, that's what I remember.

But, actually, I think that in the morning at work at some point someone was watching some right-wing TV channel and they were talking about this... event. Yeah.

On 9/11/01 I was on IRC... I felt kind of awed when I saw it live on TV, but not really shocked, frightened or disgusted; something more like the feeling I get when I seem to be about to die; which happened like three times: once when I fell of a tree, once when a car slammed onto me, and then once when I almost drowned (even though this last time was less exhilarating, it was still awesome in its murky feeling of powerlessness.)

Spontaneous (non-rational or random) destruction and death is kind of weird, it feels like it rips into the world from an insane and relentless uncaring void.

fodders said:

Bombing the shit out of Afghanistan when all the hijackers came from Saudi Arabia wasn't asinine?

eh, al-qaeda was based in afghanistan and supported by the afghanistani taliban gov't. saudi arabia didn't want anything to do with them. i don't see how nation of origin matters.

sargebaldy said:

saudi arabia didn't want anything to do with them.

Actually, the Saudi royal family pays terrorists not to kill them all. The Saudi population falls like this: There's the royal family and then there is a mass of people in complete poverty. There are a shitload of royals and they are nearly all corrupt. Now that King Faud is dying, things are getting chaotic and the royal family is paying terrorists not to pretty much take the country over.

Yes, Saudi has its hand in terrorism, but they are our ally in OPEC so we look the other way.

EDIT: Forgot to give a little background. If Osama Bin Laden were to run for office in Saudi (if they were truly democratic and that was an option), he would win by popular vote because the majority of the population is poor and Bin Laden is not a member of the royal family, which the Saudi people who are not in the royal family despise.

sargebaldy said:

eh, al-qaeda was based in afghanistan and supported by the afghanistani taliban gov't. saudi arabia didn't want anything to do with them. i don't see how nation of origin matters.

Well as America created the Taliban and in 2001 (before 9/11)

Bush pledged another $ 43 million in assistance to Afghanistan, raising total aid this year to $ 124 million and making the United States the largest humanitarian donor to the country."('The Washington Post,' 25 May 2001)

On July 10, 2002, the Qatari television channel Al-Jazeera interviewed Saudi sheikh Mohsin Al-'Awaji; a previous attempt by Al-Jazeera to interview him was prevented by Saudi authorities. Sheikh Al-'Awaji has served as the imam of the Great Mosque at King Saud University in Al-Riyadh, said "In Afghanistan, bin Laden was the greatest of Jihad warriors, in the eyes of the Saudi people and in the eyes of the Saudi government. He and the others went to Afghanistan with official [Saudi] support, and the support of the clerics."..."... If all the world repressed by America likes bin Laden, is the Islamic nation not entitled to love one of its sons as a human being? However, the truth must be told: the Saudi people love every Jihad warrior, every fighter, and every man of honour, whether in Afghanistan, Chechnya, Kashmir, or southern Sudan…" ...etc

Hardly "Saudi Arabia doesn't want anything to do with them" is it?

Go check what planes were supposedly allowed to fly when every plane in America was grounded after the Twin Towers attack?...planes to collect members of the bin laden family and other saudi's for a plane to take them out of America.

fodders said:

Go check what plane was supposedly allowed to fly when every plane in America was grounded after the Twin Towers attack?... A plane to take members of the Saudi Family home safe out of America.

And if it was an attack perpetrated by, say, German terrorists, then any German diplomats in the US would have had the same courtesies extended to them for their own safety. I don't really think that was anything that could be used to prove anything.

Ultraviolet said:

And if it was an attack perpetrated by, say, German terrorists, then any German diplomats in the US would have had the same courtesies extended to them for their own safety. I don't really think that was anything that could be used to prove anything.

The people flown out were not diplomats
washington times
At least four flights with about 140 Saudis, including roughly two-dozen members of the bin Laden family, flew to Saudi Arabia that week without even being interviewed or interrogated by the FBI...

myk said:
The 11th was teachers day over here, that's what I remember.

You mean the 9th, myk. You gotta remember these North Americans place the month first for some reason.

... It's chic to be antiwar and antibush ... They're fucking excuse was "I only did it because everyone else was ..."

Wait, so, are you saying that I am jumping on the bandwagon of people who are antibush and antiwar?

what makes me sad isn't september 11th. it's the death of JOHNNY FUCKING CASH.

fodders said:

Heh...I think that's his point.

pregnant with worms said:

what makes me sad isn't september 11th. it's the death of JOHNNY FUCKING CASH.

Ow. Johnny Cash was cool.