Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

We gotta figure out what those Russians are doing.

https://vimeo.com/90188410

Vimeo version has been hidden, but Youtube version is still active: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmyqhQNYyhE whoops guess not!!

Euphonious distillation: https://vid.me/70wz

Higher quality: http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2015/05/footage-of-cancelled-version-of-doom-4.html

---

Half-Life 2 meets Call of Duty meets Rage. Glad it was canned.

Also, have some concept art:

That was actually pretty cool, but I can see why they canned it. Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to see finally see what the actual new Doom game will be like.

That looks like some sort of awful gritty Call of Killzone. I'm glad they came to their senses.

Doesn't look anything like Doom at all. No wonder when they got a good look at it they canned it. They would have to be out of their minds to make that the new Doom.

It's not that they canned it... that doesn't suprise me in the least.

it's how the hell did this ever receive greenlight for a DOOM project to begin with?

GoatLord said:

Holy shit, did that look generic and boring.

I am personally ashamed that Id was involved with this tripe. HOLY FUCKING SHIT. Tim Willits was right when he said it had no soul. This is AWFUL...just awful.

PLEASE tell me the new version has nothing to do with what I am seeing here.

Piper Maru said:

lol, you guys do realize this is the CANNED version of "Doom 4" right?

I don't give a fucking shit!!! At one point Id worked on this fucking SHIT. THEY WERE ABOUT TO RUIN OUR GAME :(

This looks cool actually, like it's really a small group of people planning their survival and having some army by them. Some character designs even look like you'll feel bad when they die. Definitely something new from Doom 2. I guess that based on current trends it wouldn't have turned into a very interesting game, unfortunately, having meta-gimmicks such as heavily enforcer gameplay and such.

The first one is semi-decent. The rest remind me of every other tacti-cool dudebro YOLOSWAG shooter I've ever seen.

Where did you find these anyway?

I know this was the canned doom 4... but part of me somehow thinks this could have been rage 2 or better yet, lived on as wolfenstein the new order
.. as it clearly seems identical to it from what I can see.

When I first saw these shots back in 2012 (I think?) I thought this was RAGE DLC. No way I would have thought this was Doom. It could not have been in TNO...too boring for TNO.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I don't get why everyone is mad at it. No gameplay was shown, and I kinda liked the Rage meets Call of Duty style. I would still play it.

Doom is not Call of Duty.

I use to have sympathy after seeing all the last round of id employees complaints on glassdoor and whatnot, crying how they left or lost their job because of this and that, that DOOM 4 was a disaster, that all the hours they spent there went to waste and management scolding them. It was "ahhh, couldn't have been that bad, poor guy... maybe id really is going down the tank."

After seeing these screenshots, concepts and videos today, I now understand why the change to the game and team were much needed, and why it seemingly had to restart from scratch. They were just angry because they got the boot or forced out for making this sort of junk.

While I'm not much of a fan of Zenimax's business relations... they do one thing right, and that's making sure their devs release only the best of the best. It's apparent... cutting down Prey 2, almost cutting down DOOM and id software all together. Pretty much "shape up or ship out" mode for those guys now. I think Doom 4 was probably going to end up being exactly this horrific turd we see in those concepts and prototypes... that was until Zenimax saw the feedback from Rage. That's when they stepped in and said "Nah uh, you're not making anymore shit like this. This is what you're going to make..."

So, if there's any takeaways from the shortcomings of Rage, it's that it saved DOOM from ending up the same fate.

Geez, glad we didn't get this game. The previewers calling this 'Call of Doom' appears to have been accurate.

Buckshot said:

I use to have sympathy after seeing all the last round of id employees complaints on glassdoor and whatnot, crying how they left or lost their job because of this and that, that DOOM 4 was a disaster, that all the hours they spent there went to waste and management scolding them. It was "ahhh, couldn't have been that bad, poor guy... maybe id really is going down the tank."

After seeing these screenshots, concepts and videos today, I now understand why the change to the game and team were much needed, and why it seemingly had to restart from scratch. They were just angry because they got the boot or forced out for making this sort of junk.

While I'm not much of a fan of Zenimax's business relations... they do one thing right, and that's making sure their devs release only the best of the best. It's apparent... cutting down Prey 2, almost cutting down DOOM and id software all together. Pretty much "shape up or ship out" mode for those guys now. I think Doom 4 was probably going to end up being exactly this horrific turd we see in those concepts and prototypes... that was until Zenimax saw the feedback from Rage. That's when they stepped in and said "Nah uh, you're not making anymore shit like this. This is what you're going to make..."

So, if there's any takeaways from the shortcomings of Rage, it's that it saved DOOM from ending up the same fate.

Pretty much this. This is bad even for 2008 standards.

It seriously could have been labeled "Rage 2." That's how NOT DOOM it looks. And the demons that are thus far shown look like crap. Typical, generic gargoyle like crap.

And a sniper rifle? A sniper rifle in Doom? WTF!

So glad they scrapped this crap. Totally boring and unimaginative. Looks nothing like Doom. If they revealed this to be the new Doom at Quakecon, there would have been riots.