Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathz0r

[newproject] PROJECT 1994

Liberation said:

Thinking about this project, i would like to help but i dont really want to learn a dos editor, where there any wadauther versions before 1995??

I don't think there were any.

Liberation said:

and i wouldnt go as far calling it a piece of crap Graf...

If your suspicion had been true it would be a piece of crap - because it would have meant that there's an editor that can't load all maps out there.

Why not just make maps in the style of the original doom levels using your favourite editor no matter if it's from 1994 or 2004?

Yeah it's been done a hundred times before, i know, but what's the difference here? it's not like you can notice what editor was used to make the map.

If not. DEU 5.21GCC doesn't seem to work on XP, so i'm out.

Azriel said:

(No offence but your first level doesn't actually have 2005 talent)

You're right, I only spent over a hour on it. To hell with proving that I'm serious about anything!

And a little further you say little detail but great gameplay.
2005 talent designes levels with alot of detail.

I'm sorry, I think your humour detector has broke. Maybe I should be more literal next time so that people who take the internet so damn seriously won't have a bitch.

I think you should say: Make what you want (detailed or not) with 1994 technology

You don't appear to be good at reading, so I'll quote the first post:

I wrote:
Everything else is up to you. Theme, detail, difficulty, you're in control right there!

Do I need to point out that this is intended to be a (fun) challenge for anybody interested in participating in this? I'm not even expecting that many submissions (since I know most people are whiny bitches and are all MAPPING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS OK DON'T TAINT THE COMMUNITY) from anyone.

Once again, I don't give a shit how much detail somebody puts in their submissions. I just want to see how today's mappers handle having to use 1994 technology, since this is what 1994 mappers had to use to make their "shitty" maps.

Do I need to be more clear? Do I need to breastfeed you every minute detail about this experiment?

Graf Zahl said:

Since nobody has asked this before I'll do:

How do you intend to check whether the maps were made with a genuine 1994 editor. What's keeping people from using DoomBuilder and then just pretend they used DEU?

Good question. I'm just going to have faith in people that are interested. I trust most people anyway that they will follow the rules stated.

he's probably sad because it's not a omg doomsday/zdoom project

if you want to map for such with "2005 talent and detail", then follow the other billionth megawad projects.

gargoylol said:

he's probably sad because it's not a omg doomsday/zdoom project

if you want to map for such with "2005 talent and detail", then follow the other billionth megawad projects.

Actually, I HATE 2005 detail stuff. I thought that this would be fun because I love making 'classic' doom wads. I don't care how the level looks but just I don't wanna learn a new editor just because I know one from the beginning of February 1995 which is just a month too late.

I didn't want to offend anybody because I do think this project is a nice idea and I'd love to work on it but please, make a couple exceptions. I don't think that an editor that was released a month later is superior compared to 1994 editors.

In a CD I've got WadEd v1.10, v1.17, v1.23, v1.29 and v1.42 from '94. I'm thinking about putting a bunch of old editors on a webpage, particularly ones that aren't commonly available.

myk said:

In a CD I've got WadEd v1.10, v1.17, v1.23, v1.29 and v1.42 from '94. I'm thinking about putting a bunch of old editors on a webpage, particularly ones that aren't commonly available.

It would be nice if you did. A 1994 version of waded can't be so different from the 1995 version so I'm willing to use the 1.42 version of waded.

Hm, I used Deth for making all my projects (before that Doomed4.2) and I know Chroz used DoomEd4.2 for his leveldesigning.

My point being? It's not about the editor.

stoned said:
Why not just make maps in the style of the original doom levels using your favourite editor no matter if it's from 1994 or 2004?

If it didn't matter, you wouldn't even say this. The whole point of the project is, precisely, to use editors from '94. Otherwise it would obviously and simply be just another "vanilla only" wad.

Anyway, the editors and utilities on the page above are just old stuff thats not in /idgames, and some aren't from '94 (thus not for this project.) Naturally, there are more apps from '94, many of which are in the archive.

What old-school editors work in XP? Just curious... I'm interested, but I know for a fact that my personal favorite, Doomcad, just won't load up in XP, and I don't have access to anything else.

Thanks myk, for the old utilities, even if for nothing more than the historical significance. A pack rat like me loves to have all the old stuff. :)

You know, I really like this idea, by the way. So much so, in fact, that I decided to go and try doing some old-school mapping in Doom Builder (just for the heck of it - still working on finding a good editor that I like that is legal for the project). It's lotsa fun, actually, not to be so hung up on perfect texture alignment and adding as much detail as possible. Gives a map personality. Besides, as long as the gameplay is good, I think a map can afford to be a little ugly (just look at the original maps - terrible texture alignment and such, but we love 'em). Might just do some old-school mapping aside from this project - I really am enjoying it.

Imp said:

Another new deathz0r project that will more than likely never be finished.

if this doesn't get finished I'm blaming you for jinxing the hell out of it.

to all the other whiners Why dont' you just use doomed 4? I"ve used it for years with no problems- then again my maps weren't all that detailed.

A decent map with good gameplay is all we need.

I sure don't need a map that takes my system to its knees to enjoy it.

Hey hey, I got a submission from a well-known CTF mapper, izm! She has created a map for the E2M4 slot, and it kicks ass. I'll get some screenshots later, but horray for now!

Well, I decided to upload E2M4 so all of you can check it out. Read the first post for the url.

Not bad. Add me to the list for E2M5.

I was thinking that "Project 94" (or DOOM: Project 94)could be a good name, since it sounds like some scientific project; and maybe dmproj94.wad (back then it wasn't uncommon for file names to start with dm for "doom"), or just proj94.

Heh, too bad WadAuthor isn't allowed...if it was, I'd possibly work on a level for this on the side to my project, or let you borrow one of the levels I've made.

Yeah, I know. There are extremely oooold editors made in 1994...I've never touched one of thems.

Imagine if we had to use the exact same editor Romero and the gang did when they made DOOM1. That'd be kinda interesting, actually.