Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Biz!

Best Contra Game?

Title says it all.

I'd go with Contra: Hard Corps, it's most impressive, and fun. Considering the Genesis's lack of rotation and scaling, it's quite the feat!

Least fun? I'd go with Contra Force, it's a boring game altogether.

Edited by Redoom : r

20 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Even worse than Contra: Rogue Corps?

Never played it.

Either Contra 3: The Alien Wars, or Contra: Shattered Soldier. Never really had a chance to play Hard Corps in earnest, but from what I played, I thought Contra 3 was the better game.

Gunstar Heros.

I don't like contra much so my answer is Contra 3 because it's the only one I played and enjoyed.  Gunstar heros is everything I liked about Contra 3 but better and colorful.  10/10 everyone should play it.

Blazing Chrome or Super Castlevania 4.

Hah, no opinion. I'm more of a Castlevania fan, but Blazing Chrome is quite a bit of fun, so I do recommend it to those Contra fans that haven't heard of it yet.

Hard Corps or the original.

+1 for Gunstar Heroes, by the way. Not a Contra game, but made by a lot of the same people, and it's considered one of the best games on the Genesis/Megadrive.

Killer soundtrack too, of course. And it got a sequel/remake on GBA (Gunstar Super Heroes).

Plus, if you really wanna get into the weeds and enjoy fighting bosses, Alien Soldier is pretty similar (but a lot harder).

Super Probotector, as i like the Killer Robots more than sweaty mascular Men.

They thought they censor it and got some Terminator Vibe out of it.

R.978a61e685e94dbe94e8e5132c817c15?rik=o

Never got into the Mega Drive one, maybe i should try the japanese Version with three Hits per Life.

It is ok on Gameboy.

7 hours ago, ApprihensivSoul said:

Blazing Chrome or Super Castlevania 4.

Hah, no opinion. I'm more of a Castlevania fan, but Blazing Chrome is quite a bit of fun, so I do recommend it to those Contra fans that haven't heard of it yet.

I second Blazing Chrome (Steam/GOG), it's a love letter to the snes/genesis contra games. Well polished mechanics, decently patched. A pity they are no DLC for this wondeful game: 

Probably has to be either Contra 3 or Contra 4. Haven't got to play Hard Corps, but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Now, if only Konami would just revive the series and get their asses to work on a Contra 5... that would be great. Hell, a Gradius 6 wouldn't hurt either!

46 minutes ago, HavoX said:

Now, if only Konami would just revive the series and get their asses to work on a Contra 5... that would be great. Hell, a Gradius 6 wouldn't hurt either!

Well, that is the thing: they did try to revive it with Contra: Rogue Corps, which turned out to be not very good at all.

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

Well, that is the thing: they did try to revive it with Contra: Rogue Corps, which turned out to be not very good at all.

Bought it a few Months after Release for 18€, wasn in the Mood to play it until now :>
But those few Levels i have tested, it doesn't seem as bad as many describe it, it is just more like Neo Contra and not the 2D ones.
Imo i am very sure it is much Fun in Coop.

5 hours ago, Rudolph said:

6 hours ago, HavoX said:

Probably has to be either Contra 3 or Contra 4. Haven't got to play Hard Corps, but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Related to this, and this is more of a general question for those who like Konami franchises, has anyone gotten the vibe that Konami recently changed some sort of direction regarding classic franchises? As of 2015 I had assumed the old Konami was dead, but within the last year or so their classic collections have been among the best in the industry, with multiple localizations and alternate versions. 

I haven't heard any news regarding this position, not since the infamous "Shift to mobile games", so that's why I'm more curious than anything.

I prefer Contras 1 and 2 over Contra 3 because those top-down stages sucked and were a waste of time. I've played through Hard Corps, but it was the patched version and I turned the difficulty way down. I'd like to revisit that game at some point on a higher difficulty. 

But yeah, nothing compares to Shattered Soldier. It's one of the greatest 2D action games ever made. 

11 hours ago, ApprihensivSoul said:

Related to this, and this is more of a general question for those who like Konami franchises, has anyone gotten the vibe that Konami recently changed some sort of direction regarding classic franchises? As of 2015 I had assumed the old Konami was dead, but within the last year or so their classic collections have been among the best in the industry, with multiple localizations and alternate versions. 

I haven't heard any news regarding this position, not since the infamous "Shift to mobile games", so that's why I'm more curious than anything.

Yeah, i was als wondering because they released Metal Gear and Solid on Gog.
Also that they are releasing Castlevania and Contra Collections on different Systems with nice digital Booklets

and with different Versions of the Games on them.

Maybe it is just a little Invest to gain Money from something that is just there.
Maybe it is a internal Power Shift.

But it could also be a Move to gain Reputation, EA did this with the Command and Conquer Remake.

Interesting. I thought this whole thread would be one-line replies saying "Super C, obviously."

I love Hard Corps, but it feels faster and therefore more memorization-focused than the NES games. Maybe I just don't know it as well and I'm biased, though. The SNES and Genesis games are really good, though, so I'm not going to argue about it.

I'm glad we're reaching a point where it's normal to make games in a side-view plane, whether they're sprite-based or 3d with a fixed camera like Bloodstained. I'd love to see an AAA Contra game on the scale of Metroid Dread.

On 12/12/2021 at 2:21 PM, Rudolph said:

@[McD]James The soundtrack is fucking rad, that much is true.

It's been so long since I've played it, I forgot how good the sound track was. Yeah the game was a little different, since you had all three weapons from the get go and could switch between them, but it worked. I used to be pretty damn good at it... or at least had it memorized pretty damn well, but I still couldn't get past stage 6. But yeah, I still have fond memories of it. If I recall correctly, that, Rygar, and Maximo were the first three games I got when I got my PS2.

And really they were the reasons I got a PS2 in the first place: "Wait," I told my friend "they're making a new Rygar, a spiritual successor to Ghouls and Ghosts, and a new Contra game? Well... I wasn't planning on getting a PS2, but my hands are pretty much tied".

Might have to hook up the PS2 sometime soon and give it another spin.

On 12/12/2021 at 1:33 AM, Redoom said:

I'd go with Contra: Hard Corps,

And you would be correct.

I'd have said Shattered Soldier, but I'm limiting this to games that I can actually beat.

Edited by scalliano