Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
intacowetrust

PsyDoom 1.1.1 - PSX Doom port (reverse engineered) for PC

9 minutes ago, Zilch said:

Is that really necessary in a Doom source port?  Why not do the obvious and get a real CRT?

Right, or even better, a real PS1. This is a port of a console version of Doom (and a really good one at it), doesn't really seem too far out to ask for shaders

1 hour ago, s4f3s3x said:

Right, or even better, a real PS1. This is a port of a console version of Doom (and a really good one at it), doesn't really seem too far out to ask for shaders

This request has been shot down in the past. If you want to have a CRT-like shader, use ReShade with CRT-Royale.

14 hours ago, s4f3s3x said:

Another thing: will it be available in the future an option to turn on scanlines and/or CRT filters?

Here's the reply about this when it was asked for in the past:

On 3/24/2021 at 2:44 PM, intacowetrust said:

Yeah I thought about CRT shaders, I think these are best handled externally by post-fx tools that are constantly maintained and updated like 'ReShade'. I had tested it's basic CRT shader before and it looked OK, and here is CRT-Royale in PsyDoom (classic renderer, but you can of course use it with Vulkan too):

image.png.c3f665d15b8dde29aa62f9935f01abaf.png

and this:

On 10/7/2022 at 3:49 AM, intacowetrust said:

External shaders would do a much better job of the CRT effect than PsyDoom ever would and will be constantly updated and refined even long after PsyDoom stops receiving updates itself. For this reason I've decided to just let things like Reshade handle this problem, if people want that effect (or other ones).

2 hours ago, s4f3s3x said:

Cool, is Reshade available for MacOs? 

Judging by a quick stroll through Google lane, that seems like a nope.

Although this page it is possible.

21 hours ago, Zilch said:

Is that really necessary in a Doom source port?  Why not do the obvious and get a real CRT?

Its a port of a console game that was designed for CRT TVs of the era, its a completely valid request. Many of us have strong memories of playing the game with that specific look, and the software rendered isnt *quite* how we remember the game, since it lacks the scanline look.

Personally, I prefer Duckstation with its really nice built-in CRT shader for reliving the original PSX Doom look and feel, PsyDoom is better with its Vulkan rendered as its a blast to play what I grew up on on modern systems at my native resolution

Just a heads-up for fellow aspiring modders. You can have custom CD-DA audio tracks running on your custom map(s)! It's a bit complicated, but once you get it to work, it's very rewarding and can add to the overall atmosphere carried out by the original game.

Spoiler

Here's what I did to get it to work:

Spoiler
  • First, you need a CD rip of PSX DOOM (or Final Doom) that has the CD-DA tracks as separate BIN files in order to get the custom CD-DA track to work.
  • Using Audacity, export a track you want to use for the CD-DA track as a WAV file (44.1 KHz, 16-bit PCM).
  • Using File Explorer's "View → File name extensions", rename the whole file into something like "Doom (USA) (Track 9).bin".
  • Edit the CUE file into detecting the BIN file while also adjusting the play time. PsyDoom won't mind if the CD image exceeds the usual 650 MB limitation.
  • Get both SLADE (https://slade.mancubus.net/) and Doom Builder PSX (https://github.com/Erick194/DoomBuilderPSX) if you haven't yet. NOTE: PsyDoom mods consist of various files, including single map WAD files, DOOMSND.wms and ALLMAPS.lcd for the sound effects to work properly, and an optional extended IWAD titled PSXDOOM_EXT.wad. As such, they have to be run on a single separate folder.
  • Make your own map (name it MAP01 just to be safe).
  • Once done, use SLADE to create a blank WAD file titled PSXDOOM_EXT.wad. Make sure this is saved at the same directory as where you put the rest of the custom files for your mod. This WAD file must contain the marker ENDOFWAD at the very end.
  • Inside PSXDOOM_EXT.wad, make a new lump named MAPINFO. Here's the documentation (https://github.com/BodbDearg/PsyDoom/blob/master/docs/PsyDoom%20MAPINFO.md) on the lump. 
  • On the Map{} part, add "Music = 9" (if your custom CD-DA track is named "(Track 9)") and "PlayCdMusic = 1" to get the map to play the custom CD-DA track.
  • Voila! You now have the custom CD-DA track playing in-game.

Edited by taufan99 : Changed the redundant RAR archiving method into direct renaming with File Explorer's "View → File name extensions".

Extremely cool! It's awesome that PsyDoom accepts CD music with little fuss. I tried this myself without a custom map (using PSX Doom's Map 1 - Hangar) and got it working with no hassle.

The key point to note: There's no benefit to storing the WAV in a ZIP/RAR - you cannot use a compressed archive anyway, as PsyDoom will treat it as is without decompressing it first, causing it to blast loud raw noise at you. Instead, you can just rename your "MUSIC.WAV" to "MUSIC.BIN". (The reverse works with CD-audio .BIN files too, on a technical level they're just WAV files!)

@intacowetrust Would you consider adding support for CUE + audio formats? eg: WAV, MP3, OGG, FLAC
(also: although not supported by CD-audio, WAV, OGG and FLAC all support loop points!)

Edited by Lollie

13 minutes ago, Lollie said:

The key point to note: There's no benefit to storing the WAV in a ZIP/RAR - you cannot use a compressed archive anyway, as PsyDoom will treat it as is without decompressing it first, causing it to blast loud raw noise at you. Instead, you can just rename your "MUSIC.WAV" to "MUSIC.BIN". (You can do the same to CD-audio .BIN files too, on a technical level they're just WAV files!)

D'oh! I should've known better by using File Explorer's View -> File name extensions (which I never bothered searching for before). Otherwise, thanks for letting me know! Either way, the loud white noise thing happened to me when I converted from OGG instead.

While playing the GEC Master Edition Beta 4, I noticed that part of the floor at MAP02's penultimate area has this void black color. If memory serves me right, this is supposed to be an animated liquid texture, right?

Spoiler

image.png

EDIT: Never mind, I'm dumb. The texture is actually there, just barely visible because of the level's colored lighting brightness.

Edited by taufan99 : Bruh

@intacowetrust this looks amazing, thanks for creating, is there any plans to support Android in the future at all, would love to have a go on this out and about but don't have a Steam deck

On 3/8/2023 at 8:17 PM, Lollie said:

@intacowetrust Would you consider adding support for CUE + audio formats? eg: WAV, MP3, OGG, FLAC
(also: although not supported by CD-audio, WAV, OGG and FLAC all support loop points!)

It's an interesting idea, worth considering.

On 3/16/2023 at 1:29 PM, da2 said:

@intacowetrust this looks amazing, thanks for creating, is there any plans to support Android in the future at all, would love to have a go on this out and about but don't have a Steam deck

I'm afraid not, for a number of reasons which are discussed here: https://github.com/BodbDearg/PsyDoom/issues/40

@intacowetrust  I expect you to say no to this but I thought I would ask anyways,  Adding an option for colored blood much like Crispy doom offers.  Blue blood for Caco's to match their death animations and green blood for Barons and Hell Knights.  Ever since I experienced it in Vanilla Doom its hard to play without it. 

When I have uncapped vulkan there is some random garbage graphics across the the screen, near the centre, when you stop moving it disappears. Uncapped and classic render works, as does the classic fps and vulkan, how do I fix this?

On 3/25/2023 at 7:14 AM, BlueThunder said:

@intacowetrust  I expect you to say no to this but I thought I would ask anyways,  Adding an option for colored blood much like Crispy doom offers.  Blue blood for Caco's to match their death animations and green blood for Barons and Hell Knights.  Ever since I experienced it in Vanilla Doom its hard to play without it. 

Yeah it feels beyond the scope of PsyDoom I'm afraid.

14 hours ago, Luna_Bourke said:

When I have uncapped vulkan there is some random garbage graphics across the the screen, near the centre, when you stop moving it disappears. Uncapped and classic render works, as does the classic fps and vulkan, how do I fix this?

What GPU, driver & OS version are you using? First and foremost I'd suggest updating drivers if possible and/or any available OS updates. If that doesn't work try changing the v-sync and triple buffer settings under the 'Graphics' tab. Failing that if you happen to have more than one GPU in your system then you could try and select another one manually by entering part of the device name in the 'Preferred devices regex' field under 'Graphics'. E.G if you have an Intel Integrated GPU in addition to a discrete one you could enter 'Intel' to pick that GPU to run on. Normally PsyDoom tries to pick the most powerful discrete GPU but you can override this.

15 hours ago, intacowetrust said:

What GPU, driver & OS version are you using? First and foremost I'd suggest updating drivers if possible and/or any available OS updates. If that doesn't work try changing the v-sync and triple buffer settings under the 'Graphics' tab. Failing that if you happen to have more than one GPU in your system then you could try and select another one manually by entering part of the device name in the 'Preferred devices regex' field under 'Graphics'. E.G if you have an Intel Integrated GPU in addition to a discrete one you could enter 'Intel' to pick that GPU to run on. Normally PsyDoom tries to pick the most powerful discrete GPU but you can override this.

Thanks, I managed to get it work. Is so cool, I hope more WADs come to it, love Caldera.

Gave this a shot today. Impressive, convenient... and also much more comfortable to play than Doom on the Playstation! :D

The only "downside" is that it makes playing PS1 Doom so much like PC Doom that I might as well play PC Doom. But for the purists, it is great!

Edited by Rudolph

I just came across a significant gameplay issue: I have two monitors and the mouse cursor does not appear to be locked to one screen, which means that when I move the mouse sharply to the right, its pointer will move to the second monitor and if I click the left mouse button, the game will be put on hold. What can I do to prevent that from happening?

EDIT: It seems to be caused by me having Fallout Shelter running on the second monitor.

What is weird is that I do not have such problem with GZDoom...

Edited by Rudolph

On 5/31/2023 at 8:48 AM, Rudolph said:

I just came across a significant gameplay issue: I have two monitors and the mouse cursor does not appear to be locked to one screen, which means that when I move the mouse sharply to the right, its pointer will move to the second monitor and if I click the left mouse button, the game will be put on hold. What can I do to prevent that from happening?

EDIT: It seems to be caused by me having Fallout Shelter running on the second monitor.

What is weird is that I do not have such problem with GZDoom...

Interesting... The mouse cursor should be locked to the window area at all times and PsyDoom requests this to be the case via SDL. I have a multi monitor setup also with a very high dpi mouse and high sensitivity settings; I can't get the cursor to escape the Window no matter how fast I move the mouse.

My theory is that somehow Fallout Shelter is causing that cursor lock to be released. Maybe GZDoom avoids this problem due to a different way of handling mouse input - will have to take a look at the code and see.

On 5/31/2023 at 6:49 AM, Rudolph said:

The only "downside" is that it makes playing PS1 Doom so much like PC Doom that I might as well play PC Doom. But for the purists, it is great!

Try turning off the uncapped framerate and switching to the classic renderer. It will feel much more like the original experience in this mode, albeit without all the performance issues and at a locked 30 FPS instead.

3 hours ago, intacowetrust said:

Interesting... The mouse cursor should be locked to the window area at all times and PsyDoom requests this to be the case via SDL. I have a multi monitor setup also with a very high dpi mouse and high sensitivity settings; I can't get the cursor to escape the Window no matter how fast I move the mouse.

My theory is that somehow Fallout Shelter is causing that cursor lock to be released. Maybe GZDoom avoids this problem due to a different way of handling mouse input - will have to take a look at the code and see.

I just noticed the same issue when playing the Slayers X demo on the first monitor with Fallout Shelter running on the second monitor.

I will just have to close Fallout Shelter whenever I play anything other than GZDoom, I guess... :S

Edited by Rudolph

Just released a new build of PsyDoom (1.1.1) with some small updates and bug fixes. 

You can find it at the usual location for Windows, macOS and Linux:

https://github.com/BodbDearg/PsyDoom/releases

Feature changes & improvements (1.1.1)

• Add the ability to choose between exclusive and borderless windowed fullscreen modes.
    • Previously PsyDoom only supported exclusive fullscreen.
    • Borderless windowed is the new default, since it handles multi-tasking better and there is no real performance difference in most cases.
  • Upgraded various third party libraries used by PsyDoom (such as SDL) for better OS and device compatibility.
  • HUD: tweak message priority for renderer/uncapped-fps toggle.
    • If toggling both at the same time then show a message for the renderer being toggled instead of uncapped fps being toggled.

Bug fixes (1.1.1)

• Windows: fix invalid handling of Unicode characters in save data filepaths (#93).
    • This bug prevented user preferences and save files from being written successfully.
  • Fix the Wolfenstein SS enemy not dropping ammo clips.    
  • Vulkan renderer: fix excessive registry access while the Window is minimized. (#91).

1 hour ago, SteelPH said:

1.1.1 seems to be setting off my antivirus. Previous versions didn't do this.

That's strange - which AV did it trigger?

1 minute ago, intacowetrust said:

That's strange - which AV did it trigger?

Trojan:Script/Wacatac.H!ml

1 minute ago, SteelPH said:

Trojan:Script/Wacatac.H!ml

Are you sure you have the right file? None of the AV vendors appeared to have a problem when I uploaded the 1.1.1 executable:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/868d10db68d3dc397e113a020a2e2a53367ce145ab6a3c0cd7c6f7bf81e8f645/details

I also scanned using Windows Defender (on Windows 11) and didn't run into any issues.

The file I checked was downloaded directly from this URL:

https://github.com/BodbDearg/PsyDoom/releases/download/releases%2F1.1.1/PsyDoom_1.1.1_Windows_x86_64.zip

1 minute ago, intacowetrust said:

Are you sure you have the right file? None of the AV vendors appeared to have a problem when I uploaded the 1.1.1 executable:

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/868d10db68d3dc397e113a020a2e2a53367ce145ab6a3c0cd7c6f7bf81e8f645/details

I also scanned using Windows Defender (on Windows 11) and didn't run into any issues.

The file I checked was downloaded directly from this URL:

https://github.com/BodbDearg/PsyDoom/releases/download/releases%2F1.1.1/PsyDoom_1.1.1_Windows_x86_64.zip

Yup, same link. Windows Defender (Windows 10) keeps identifying it as a Trojan.

Sweet, a new release!

My cursor still will not remain locked on my first monitor whenever I have Fallout Shelter, though. I guess it really cannot be helped and it is ultimately more of an issue with the latter than PsyDoom, anyway. Oh well, one more reason to take a break from Fallout Shelter! :P

21 hours ago, SteelPH said:

Yup, same link. Windows Defender (Windows 10) keeps identifying it as a Trojan.

Very strange. One thing that has changed recently is that I've upgraded to a new Windows 11 PC, and switched to using Visual Studio 2022 and the Windows 11 SDK to compile PsyDoom. Previously I was working off a Windows 10 PC with Visual Studio 2019 and the Windows 10 SDK - perhaps this somehow causes the Windows 10 Defender to falsely flag PsyDoom.exe? (who knows)

And just to double check everything is OK, I performed the following actions:

(1) Verified that the PsyDoom.exe still sitting in my build folder is the exact same as the one uploaded. The expected SHA256 hash is 868d10db68d3dc397e113a020a2e2a53367ce145ab6a3c0cd7c6f7bf81e8f645 and they both matched.

(2) Ran a full scan of my entire system and all disks using Windows Defender (and in safe mode) just to make sure nothing was lurking on my system. I also only built this machine from scratch less than a month ago and don't do anything particularly risky with it. Up until recently I've been mainly just playing Cyberpunk. It's highly unlikely there is any malware hidden away on this PC.

(3) Examined the uploaded PsyDoom.exe in Ghidra and compared it against a freshly built version that I made just now. They both look identical from what I can tell and everything looks as expected when I dig into the decompiled code.

So it looks like to me that this is a false positive. After looking at the forums here on Doomworld it seems that this is a problem which also pops up periodically with other source ports too - PsyDoom is definitely not unique in this regard.

2 hours ago, intacowetrust said:

So it looks like to me that this is a false positive. After looking at the forums here on Doomworld it seems that this is a problem which also pops up periodically with other source ports too - PsyDoom is definitely not unique in this regard.

Yeah I figured as much. Just a heads up in case it pops up for anyone else.