Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Luleta

quickbuck - 1 small map for doom II [final release candidate]

You did mostly well with the suggestion on this post but there are some stuff like screenshots they're really important) that you should include

Also, where is the download?

accidentally posted :/ how do i delete it? i didnt finish writing -.-"

6 minutes ago, Luleta said:

accidentally posted :/ how do i delete it? i didnt finish writing -.-"

You can't delete, but you can edit it

oh, there we go, uploaded some screenshots and the file thank you all

Looks cool. I'll give it a spin.

(Feedback spoilers):

Spoiler

Hey that was pretty cool. Fast paced action straight from the beginning. I really enjoyed most of it.

The secrets were cool. LightAmplificationGoogles were a strange choice - I would have chosen the computer map or Berzerk.

I needed a backpack much earlier than provided. Might have been better in place of the Berzerk.

I thought the revenant fight before the blue key was a little too difficult, perhaps just use one Revy as there's not much space. 

The use of monster closets became predictable about halfway through. I knew to save before picking up a key or using a switch. Try something a little more incidental sometimes. Maybe like having some monsters teleport across the map. 

The rocket launcher was good timing. 

The tough part was the big fight with the Megashphere. It's just too difficult. Took me many attempts and I almost quit. An invulnerability sphere would have been a better choice IMO. 

Great placement of the Arch-Vile.

Really good work for a first map! Please make more. That was really fun overall.

Edited by PeterMoro

1 hour ago, PeterMoro said:

Looks cool. I'll give it a spin.

(Feedback spoilers):

Hide contents

Hey that was pretty cool. Fast paced action straight from the beginning. I really enjoyed most of it.

The secrets were cool. LightAmplificationGoogles were a strange choice - I would have chosen the computer map or Berzerk.

I needed a backpack much earlier than provided. Might have been better in place of the Berzerk.

I thought the revenant fight before the blue key was a little too difficult, perhaps just use one Revy as there's not much space. 

The use of monster closets became predictable about halfway through. I knew to save before picking up a key or using a switch. Try something a little more incidental sometimes. Maybe like having some monsters teleport across the map. 

The rocket launcher was good timing. 

The tough part was the big fight with the Megashphere. It's just too difficult. Took me many attempts and I almost quit. An invulnerability sphere would have been a better choice IMO. 

Great placement of the Arch-Vile.

Really good work for a first map! Please make more. That was really fun overall.

yeah. i was thinking maybe i could give HMP players an invul instead, the goggles were mainly to help in UV with specters since i already gave a berzerk at the start on a secret and giving a computer area map at the end seemed kinda pointless.
i was worried the last fight was too much of a difficulty spike and i attempted to fix that by facing the enemies away from the player, i dont really think the invul would be a good choice cuz i worry it may make the fight too mindless but ill playtest it and see if it works better, at least for HMP and HNTR.

ill consider doing more tele traps to spice up backtracking

also i may switch the backpack and berzerk as u suggested!

thank you for playing i really appreciate your feedback! ^^

Pretty fun and challenging little map, dude. You very much kept me on my toes with the plethora of surprise monster closets and you struck an interesting balance between the demons and the limited space that made things tense but not overwhelming, which is a hard thing to pull off in general so kudos for that! It's a tad bland on the visual side, but it more than makes up for it with its combat and progression. Not too shabby at all!

26 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Pretty fun and challenging little map, dude. You very much kept me on my toes with the plethora of surprise monster closets and you struck an interesting balance between the demons and the limited space that made things tense but not overwhelming, which is a hard thing to pull off in general so kudos for that! It's a tad bland on the visual side, but it more than makes up for it with its combat and progression. Not too shabby at all!

haha this was fun to watch! i feel like an evil scientist grining to how you fall on my traps x3

im glad you enjoyed it, yes the visuals are not something i do very well, if you have any suggestions on how to make certain areas look better id be glad to read them, tho consider i wanna stick with vanilla textures!

i was primairly worried about the fights being tedious so im glad that didnt happen much. you seemed to have fun and that makes me happy!

edit: ps i got very scared when you didn't find the button and thought you softlocked ;_;

im glad you scanned it better

Great little map! This thing keeps you on your toes the whole time. By the point where I reached the exit, the map had fostered such a feeling of distrust in me that I was ready for the exit to be a fake-out, and for a few more hell knights to ambush me, lol. Also on my winning attempt (the 3rd one) I did get hit by a BS hell knight ball that went through the wall. Thankfully it didn't take me down!

Demos here: dk_quic.zip

It's two separate demos because I forget to set a high maxdemo on the first one, d'oh.

It seems to be purely vanilla compatible, played and recorded using DOOM2.EXE. The only problem I had is that the small crates had a bit of tutti frutti (nothing that can be done about that unless you want to edit textures, in other words don't worry about it) and the sky window in the big brown room with the yellow hey is a big HOM - that actually is an issue that will show up in many source ports. If you need help fixing it just let me know. Fun stuff!

11 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Great little map! This thing keeps you on your toes the whole time. By the point where I reached the exit, the map had fostered such a feeling of distrust in me that I was ready for the exit to be a fake-out, and for a few more hell knights to ambush me, lol. Also on my winning attempt (the 3rd one) I did get hit by a BS hell knight ball that went through the wall. Thankfully it didn't take me down!

Demos here: dk_quic.zip

It's two separate demos because I forget to set a high maxdemo on the first one, d'oh.

It seems to be purely vanilla compatible, played and recorded using DOOM2.EXE. The only problem I had is that the small crates had a bit of tutti frutti (nothing that can be done about that unless you want to edit textures, in other words don't worry about it) and the sky window in the big brown room with the yellow hey is a big HOM - that actually is an issue that will show up in many source ports. If you need help fixing it just let me know. Fun stuff!

oh wow, doomkid! im a big fan of your youtube content!
those revs werent being kind, and that hell knight proyectile  was strange, i dont really know what to do about it, is there any way to prevent that?
id love to hear a way to fix that HOM, i had no idea it was there, what could've caused it?!

i played a previous version on chocolate doom and noticed the weird textures, but i didnt think much of it, because i had no idea what caused it or what it was.

any way to prevent future tutti frutti?
thanks for the bug reports and for playing of course!

ps: ill consider doing an exit fake out with hell knights just for you :3

Glad you like my YT stuff! The Hell Knight ball passing through the wall is just one of those weird “one in a thousand” Doom collision detection bugs, not your fault by any means.

I’ll do a quick little patch to see what’s causing that sky HOM, I’m not sure why it’s showing up like that but I’ll get it fixed, then I’ll be able to explain what I changed. Should have the patches version posted up here in about an hour. (Also if you do implement that one last ambush, that would be hilarious)

So I figured out what was wrong - in vanilla Doom and many classic style source ports, having a F_SKY flat on both the ceiling and floor often causes HOMs. What I usually do is just have it on the ceiling, then have the floor low enough to where players won't see it (and if they do they wont care anyway). Additionally, the little "sky border" sector that you made had a negative height, a ceiling lower than a floor. This generally causes vanilla to act a fool. Here's a version of the map with nothing else changed, but those two issues sorted: https://doomshack.org/uploads/quickbuckv2.zip

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

So I figured out what was wrong - in vanilla Doom and many classic style source ports, having a F_SKY flat on both the ceiling and floor often causes HOMs. What I usually do is just have it on the ceiling, then have the floor low enough to where players won't see it (and if they do they wont care anyway). Additionally, the little "sky border" sector that you made had a negative height, a ceiling lower than a floor. This generally causes vanilla to act a fool. Here's a version of the map with nothing else changed, but those two issues sorted: https://doomshack.org/uploads/quickbuckv2.zip

ohhhh i see, i didnt know you couldnt have f_sky as both floor and ceiling, is it sector specific?

or can i have skybox on the floor on one room and on the ceiling in other?

eitherway thank you sooo much for this fix and explanation, ill update the post and credit you for the fix!

where should i look for more vanilla limitations like these to prevent future bugs? i also wanna prevent the tutti frutti effect :/

5 minutes ago, Luleta said:

ohhhh i see, i didnt know you couldnt have f_sky as both floor and ceiling, is it sector specific?

It is - You can use it on the ceiling or floor throughout the map, just not in one sector.

Here's two pages that have all kinds of vanilla limitations listed - a bit overwhelming at first, but it's really helpful:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Vanilla_Doom_engine_mapping_reference

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Static_limits

To get that tutti-frutti fixed, you'll have to create a new texture. In Doom2.wad, using Slade3, if you look through the TEXTURE lump you can find "cratiny" and right-click it and export as PNG. Then, using paint (or any image editor) you can just stack it until its a 64x128 texture. Import that image back into your wad using Slade3, call it something like CRATNEW, right click it and "convert to Doom GFX", then right click it again and add to patch names, the finally right click it yet again and add to TEXTURE.

Basically, every texture needs to be at least 128 units tall not to cause tutti-frutti if it wraps vertically.

I hope that makes sense!

quickbuckv3 new release avalible!!check edited post above for more info and download!

added surprises and fixed tutti frutti crates!!

enhanced evilness and decreased meanness >:D

please let me know what you think!

ok after like 3 months i revisited this map and made a final release.
i switched to UDB, made the start room a little less ugly and aligned a bunch of textures.

hopefully this doesn't need further fixing!

I tested quickbuck quickbuck.wad with GZDoom on Hurt Me Plenty, this is a challenging map, 71/100. The enemy fights were well balanced, and the map was full of surprises in every room. This is a challenging map, I had to attempt quickbuck.wad at least 10 times. The fight in the Yellow key room, I would shoot the crowd of enemies with rockets then I would retreat to the corner of the room near the crates. I would shoot the enemies with the rockets, and let the enemies fight each. The flying enemies will approach me, then I would move to the other corner of the room, and shoot the flying enemies with rockets. That is how I completed the Yellow Key room. The Red Key room, the teleporting enemies below the player will not be able to attack the player. Enemies will get stuck between the trees if you hide in 1 of the bunkers after the teleport trap.

1 hour ago, FireWarden1000 said:

I tested quickbuck quickbuck.wad with GZDoom on Hurt Me Plenty, this is a challenging map, 71/100. The enemy fights were well balanced, and the map was full of surprises in every room. This is a challenging map, I had to attempt quickbuck.wad at least 10 times. The fight in the Yellow key room, I would shoot the crowd of enemies with rockets then I would retreat to the corner of the room near the crates. I would shoot the enemies with the rockets, and let the enemies fight each. The flying enemies will approach me, then I would move to the other corner of the room, and shoot the flying enemies with rockets. That is how I completed the Yellow Key room. The Red Key room, the teleporting enemies below the player will not be able to attack the player. Enemies will get stuck between the trees if you hide in 1 of the bunkers after the teleport trap.

Shouldn't that be the suicidally hard yellow key room? I'm playing Going Down now, and this comes close to equaling that in close-quarters savagery.

2 hours ago, FireWarden1000 said:

uh... you mean the imps that teleport in arent able to attack you? sorry i dont think i understand what you mean with enemies getting stuck on trees.

Excellent job!  This is a really fun little level.  Died a few times but it wasn't unfair.  I knew there'd be traps constantly and so I had to be mentally prepared for it...but I still got caught napping a few times.  Nothing in this map was bullshit lol.  Great work, again.

1 minute ago, KevvyLava said:

Excellent job!  This is a really fun little level.  Died a few times but it wasn't unfair.  I knew there'd be traps constantly and so I had to be mentally prepared for it...but I still got caught napping a few times.  Nothing in this map was bullshit lol.  Great work, again.

i'm glad to read that! ^^
i wanted it to be challenging but not frustrating, keeping you on your toes but not being unfair, so this means a lot!

...whole vanilla or limit-removing episode done in this vein WHEN?

(no pressure ofc :)

2 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

(no pressure ofc :)

you read my mind :D

im throwing ideas on UDB, ill probably get a bunch of little maps and make a tiny episode replacement SOMEDAY!

13 minutes ago, Luleta said:

i'm glad to read that! ^^
i wanted it to be challenging but not frustrating, keeping you on your toes but not being unfair, so this means a lot!

You definitely achieved your goal. I'm a fan of it. Have a nice night!

37 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

This. I'd be excited to play an episode of maps like this. @Luleta I like your style. Very clean looking WAD.

This was quite fun and much harder than I expected! Gave it a go on GZDoom with UV. Died like 4 times.

49ftj74.png

I enjoyed it and found the visual style very well done. The map looks clean at all times and has more than enough variety to feast the eyes on. Especially attractive in vanilla-friendly source-ports. The variety of rooms kept me entertained, as well as the different encounters which at times became quite screwed up. I'm not a big fan of the constant use of monster-closets (especially those tight monster-closets that barely give you room to maneuver, like the last one with the Barons and HK's.) but it's not a big problem. The gameplay is explosive and you get a good variety. I wasn't expecting the final semi-slaughter assault, but the ammo delivery made that fight quite fun, although that didn't stop me from dying twice thanks to the Archies positioned right in a somewhat painful spot. I think this can make this level a bit irritating if you don't have mouselook, well, that area especially can be a bit of a pain that way.

I liked it a lot. The style is attractive and the gampley reminds me of Scythe; lots of monsters in small, tight maps with explosive surprises. Keep it up! This is a solid map that would be great to see expanded in an episode.

Be honest... who hurt you?

But seriously, that's a lot of traps and monster closets. I died a bunch of time on UV, especially in the Yellow Key room. I wasn't expecting this much of a challenge from your second map. I guess you got building traps and secrets down, I encountered no bugs, and the map flow is good, so a very solid second map. 

For your next map, try making rooms a little less boxey and the generic hallway - door - room setup. 

38 minutes ago, Pistoolkip said:

Be honest... who hurt you?

But seriously, that's a lot of traps and monster closets. I died a bunch of time on UV, especially in the Yellow Key room. I wasn't expecting this much of a challenge from your second map. I guess you got building traps and secrets down, I encountered no bugs, and the map flow is good, so a very solid second map. 

For your next map, try making rooms a little less boxey and the generic hallway - door - room setup. 

monster closets and traps are fun :)

and i agree, this map is very square-y, ill do better next time! ;P

thanks a ton for the feedback!