Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bejiitas_wrath

Fake transparent floors in Boom.

This is a very cool trick, a transparent floor effect. This is done via the nuke24 texture aligned as shown in the screenshot and then set as a translucent line with the Boom engine. As you can see, the NUKE24 texture is lowered right to the bottom of the lower pit and it is set as translucent. This results in a fake 3d floor effect. Make sure it is only 1 unit away from the edge, this makes the illusion look as good as possible.

doom00.png

This seems to only work well with certain floor textures and only with a maximum wall texture of 24 pixels. But is relatively convincing.

db1.png

Above is the setup in DB2. This is really easy to do, and this is a very neat trick.

Edited by bejiitas_wrath : Detail.

Ah, so you made a mid texture draw through the floor. Unfortunately this trick would only work on one type of rendering, I could never remember which.

This trick was discovered by a certain someone almost 20 years ago :) 

The dl link naturally doesn't work anymore. I do keep meaning to create a revised version of the example wad with more Boom tricks I've learned about or discovered since then, mainly "conveyor scripting" effects like using keycards to activate things other than doors.

Edited by NiGHTMARE

I found the .wad from the old thread (which predates P:AR by a few months), though it's been updated very slightly since then:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/lab95drcqav5f8q/nb_bmtrk.WAD/file

I also found an even older tricks .wad I made (from 1998!), which includes a destructible crate (with sprites which seem to be bugged, at least in GZDoom) and an airlock-type effect:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/o2hdi0r928sguiy/nb_sfx01.WAD/file

Edited by NiGHTMARE

3 hours ago, NiGHTMARE said:

This trick was discovered by a certain someone almost 20 years ago :)

If memory serves, the trick was actually a result of a chat between the two of us in IRC; I think I made a demo wad and sent it to you or something (I have vague memories of using FLAT4 as a ghetto 'mesh floor' or something). I am mentioned in that thread, and later comment about how I planned to use the effect in Murderous Intent 2 (R.I.P.).

Whether it's an original trick or not, it's always nice to see people thinking outside-the-box IMO. <3 

6 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Unfortunately this trick would only work on one type of rendering, I could never remember which. 

It only works in the original software renderer. Like everything that relies on the engine drawing things where they shouldn't be drawn, it won't work when using real 3D projection, such as for an OpenGL renderer.

1 hour ago, Jayextee said:

If memory serves, the trick was actually a result of a chat between the two of us in IRC

You've definitely got a better memory than me then!

10 minutes ago, Gez said:

It only works in the original software renderer. Like everything that relies on the engine drawing things where they shouldn't be drawn, it won't work when using real 3D projection, such as for an OpenGL renderer.

Well at least it doesn't glitch out like some of the fake 3D tricks, you'll just see a solid floor in GL.

On 7/27/2021 at 1:05 AM, Gez said:

That's not entirely true, but it is strictly for GZDoom. The concept is possible in a polygon projection renderer if you expanded the sprite overdraw concepts from Strife: Veteran Edition or Doom64. They already have it to handle unclipped sprites into the floor like the software renderer, but I don't see any immediate reason why that couldn't be expanded to masked mid textures.

On 7/26/2021 at 3:47 AM, NiGHTMARE said:

... mainly "conveyor scripting" effects like using keycards to activate things other than doors.

I've actually done this! You can do a bunch of stuff with conveyor scripting. Funny what one little feature in a map format can do tbh.

3 hours ago, GratefulName said:

Why don't you try using Create Fake ceiling and fake floor, just like in Sunlust MAP30.

Exactly my thought. Linespecial 242 would have been easiest and safest to use.

However, it appears that exploiting a hack is more appealing, even when it is glitchy.

Sort of going by the motto

"Why make something in a simple way when it can be made in a complex manner".

Edited by DOOM mapping enthusiast

11 hours ago, GratefulName said:

Why don't you try using Create Fake ceiling and fake floor, just like in Sunlust MAP30.

8 hours ago, DOOM mapping enthusiast said:

Exactly my thought. Linespecial 242 would have been easiest and safest to use.

However, it appears that exploiting a hack is more appealing, even when it is glitchy.

Sort of going by the motto

"Why make something in a simple way when it can be made in a complex manner".

Using only the linespecial 242 would only result in invisible or solid floors, which alone would not be enough to create a translucent/transparent floor effect. You need translucent mid textures bleeding into the floor to create this pseudo-translucent floor effect.

Here's a better screenshot of the effect, since it's barely visible in OPs post:
JbroJjk.png