Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

RAY MOHAWK 2: Ray Wreaks Havoc! [20 Vanilla Maps - v4 on idgames!]

Good god almighty. That shit must have happened (unintentionally of course) when I modified the map earlier to fix the bug where the eye raised the initial wall rather than lowering it. I have no idea how or why that happened, but I’ll have it fixed shortly.

9 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Good god almighty. That shit must have happened (unintentionally of course) when I modified the map earlier to fix the bug where the eye raised the initial wall rather than lowering it. I have no idea how or why that happened, but I’ll have it fixed shortly.

I know the feeling

its almost impossible to avoid bugs

Played till the 10th level and I'm really enjoying it (I'm playing on ITYTD)

I like the maps: they have a distinct look and aesthetics, for me feels something between classic and modern mapping, and I enjoyed the intense fighting arenas , really well done.

I like the enemies and the arsenal (can't wait to find the BFG 9002) and they feel both powerful.

For sure I'll going to play the first Ray Mohawk once I'll finish this one.

Ok. I know I've said "this is the last fix version" about 19 times now.

BUT. This is the REALLY ULTRA-REAL final fix! New link, new filename.. Just fixes a few last minute fuckups.

>>> DOWNLOAD: https://doomshack.org/uploads/mohawks2.zip <<<

(If this isn't the last fix I think I'm gonna explode!)

The only thing I don't really like is that Ultimate Doom Builder cannot display most of the things on the scheme. It says "Unable to find sprite lump "PAULA2A8" used by actor "Former Human":3004. Forgot to include required resources?"

Is there any chance they will be included for future wads? Because for now the only option is to delete the deh patch using Slade to get regular Doom 2 sprites.

2 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

The only thing I don't really like is that Ultimate Doom Builder cannot display most of the things on the scheme. It says "Unable to find sprite lump "PAULA2A8" used by actor "Former Human":3004. Forgot to include required resources?"

Is there any chance they will be included for future wads? Because for now the only option is to delete the deh patch using Slade to get regular Doom 2 sprites.

Hey there! This is a known issue, I believe it might have started after an update to Ultimate Doom Builder that happened over the summer. I read about a solution in the Ultimate Doom Builder discord channel but forgot what it was. I just finished my map for this project working with this inconvenience. I would suggest hopping over to the discord and asking them for tips. In case I remember correctly then there is a solution for your troubles :).

14 hours ago, Dimon12321 said:

You know what, in mohawks2.wad, try renaming the SS_START lump to just be S_START. Maybe it will work then? You can't use the S_START lump in vanilla Doom, which is why the SS_START convention was made, but UDB will not register the SS_START lump, just the S_START one. I did request it offhand at one point but I think it was turned down. It's a shame because it's required for the way I compile my wads, and it's been a common convention well before I started using it. Hopefully this will make mapping with it easier though!

3 hours ago, princetontiger said:

Fun Sunday.... loved these maps!

I'm really glad to hear that, make it all the more worthwhile!

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

You know what, in mohawks2.wad, try renaming the SS_START lump to just be S_START. 

Ha, and that did the trick! Now UBD doesn't argue about anything.

So on MAP17...

Spoiler

Any way to make sure the poster secret doesn't break? Seems like most of the time I shoot all the posters but some of the bars do not lower and I get locked out of the secret teleporter :(

Hey @rd. and @Aurelius, just wondering if either of you knows what’s up there? I tested the map a few times and the posters worked fine - is this maybe some obscure vanilla bug or something (if indeed you have any ideas? I’m stumped on what could cause that..)

After some quick testing, the idgames version MAP17 setup does break at least on Chocolate and Crispy Doom with the last two posters not functioning properly. However, when I take the latest version I sent in this post and replace the idgames version with that, it seems to work fine again, though having someone confirm it would be great.

There's no major vanilla quirks going on here:

Spoiler

Each poster is a G1 Floor Raise to Lowest Ceiling, and they are set in a small sector that is joined with a dummy one in the void that has its ceiling height set low enough so that the posters (and corresponding fireblu pillars) instantly lower when shot.

One reason I'd see it break if these sectors were to somehow become unmerged, but looking at the map in editor this doesn't seem to be the case.  Another idea is that the dummy sectors are too far and there is something in-between their bounding boxes that is stuck that would prevent sector movement. This could be remedied by moving the dummy sectors closer to the actions that trigger them.

On 2/22/2022 at 5:16 PM, Aurelius said:

After some quick testing, the idgames version MAP17 setup does break at least on Chocolate and Crispy Doom with the last two posters not functioning properly. However, when I take the latest version I sent in this post and replace the idgames version with that, it seems to work fine again, though having someone confirm it would be great.

There's no major vanilla quirks going on here:

Reveal hidden contents

Super late reply from me, but - I'm stumped! I extracted the MAP17 from mohawks2.wad and compared the CRC32 code to the one in your post, and according to that, they're the exact same file.. I have no idea what the hell could be going on here!

Just checked the SHA-1 to be doubly sure, and same deal.. :(

@Doomkid That's really weird, maybe it was just dumb luck on my part that I got it working by the replacement.

In any case, I moved the dummy sectors closer to the actions that trigger them, and after testing with Choco, Crispy, DSDA cl2 and GZDoom, it all seemed to work as intended. Hard to say if that was indeed the cause, but at least it seems to be consistently functional now. Here's the thing.

Hey all, just updated this wad after so long to implement the "fix" Aurelius just sent me for Map17 (even though all the evidence suggests it shouldn't have been "broken" in the first place!)

Here's some links to version 1.4, it's on idgames and all the mirrors are currently updating, I know the gamers.org copy is updated: https://www.gamers.org/pub/games/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/mohawks2.zip

Doomshack mirror: https://doomshack.org/uploads/mohawks2.zip

100% secrets should definitely be possible on complevel 2 on every level now!

I just started playing through this and it is beyond fun.  The weapons... holy smokes.  Just picked up the chaingun replacement for the first time and couldn't wipe the grin from my face!  Definitely gonna record a video on this at some point, but I wanted to play through it without worrying about commentating or anything because I just wanted to enjoy the pure bliss of it all.

Also the Cruisn' USA and Cruisn' World music... those were my favourite games as a kid so I got such a huge kick out of it lol.  Especially the "ooh, ahh, ooh... yeah!!" I remember that on the San Francisco map on Cruisn USA.  Actually the music in general in this wad slaps.  Great job everyone!

Just finished playing through this today, I had an absolute blast!  I was not expecting the weapons to be buffed THAT much, playing through the first 15 or so maps on Playing For Fun (HMP) I felt unstoppable, wondering if I should've cranked the difficulty up.....

I'm glad I didn't though, because the last few maps really kicked my arse.  The peak of difficulty being in my opinion, Map 19.  I struggled with many MANY fights on that map, in the spoiler section below, you'll see a link to a highlight from my stream that shows my struggle with what I feel is the most difficult fight in the entire wad.  I'm honestly not sure how I beat it, I was very close to giving up.

I also greatly adored all the Doomcute design on display, boats, couches, TVs, computers & more, all just *chef's kiss* magnifique!

Overall it gets 2 thumbs up from me!  If I had to pick one map as 'my favourite' then I'd probably pick Map 16: Pier Pressure if only for that amazing 'set piece' that made me go "How the hell do you do that in vanilla?!!  That's incredible!"

I'm really glad you pushed through. To me, that was also the meanest part of the whole wad.. I was lucky to get it on my 3rd or 4th try!

A ways back I was thoroughly enjoying this on HMP, but life got in the way and I just knew that maps 19 and 20 were going to kick my arse, so I'd left off for a bit.

Coming back to them this evening and... I was completely right. And it was a very dumb restart point to come into cold. I think Rymante's clip from that stream summed it up nicely...

On 4/14/2022 at 6:44 AM, Rymante said:

I'm not missing a secret invulnerability, am I?

Map 19 got very silly once the hangar doors flew open, but it still retained that wad's attitude of giving you ridiculous firepower to go against the insurmountable odds.

In contrast, the final map spent a lot of time feeling a little less Ray: I struggled for ammo and quite often wondered where to go next. But that final battle! The puzzle aspect was not too obtuse, and very forgiving of mistakes; and the action-movie/videogame flair of carving your way out of the belly of the beast was the most Ray ending possible.

Had a total blast with all the maps, though I think careening through that whole mess to the frantic Athletic Theme by @Aurelius and @baja blast rd. was something that's going to stick with me for quite a while. In fact I forsee a lifetime of having PTSD triggered by a Super Mario World track, and that's something you can't put a price on. Treasures, the pair of you.

Can't thank you lot enough for all your work on this, least of all @Doomkid himself for compiling it into such a wonderful whole. I know you've got a lot on your plate with Jamal right now, but I do hope we'll return to the sunny skies and oceans of booze some time in the future.