Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

PUSS XIV: 12 MORE Days of Doommas! [Now on idgames!]

13 hours ago, CyberosLeopard said:

Also on a side note, what vertex did you need to move?

Just some random one. Any sort of editing of the map in UDB caused the nodebuilder to reconfigure everything in the wad automatically.

13 hours ago, CyberosLeopard said:

While I do very much appreciate you help Blue, and I don't wish to sound aggressive or argumentative, but I really should be the one to fix my own mistakes; I should not rely on others for that. With that said, I'm thinking it may be best to pull my map from the project, in hindsight of the other issues that I've found (and the ones that I haven't yet). I don't think the level's pacing is particularly good, and the last thing I want is to ruin someone's experience of 12 more days of Doommas with a rushed, bug-ridden level. I'm sorry if this messes with your schedule.

Thank you so very much for your time and help Blue.

You're very welcome! Although, in my opinion, I don't think you should pull your submission. While it is ultimately up to you to decide what to do with the map, I personally do not think that having your map included in the wad would in any way detract from the experience of playing the wad. This is PUSS after all: we're a speedmapping organization. These levels were never meant to be the most enjoyable to play nor the best experiences possible.

I'll be the first to admit that the original 12 Days of Doommas is in no ways a fun wad to play. Those maps are really hard, really grindy, and overall a slog. That's mostly my fault really due to the rules. But you know what? I love that wad with all my heart! It is, to me, a collection of 15 maps that required some folks to step outside of their comfort zones and abide to really really stupid restrictions, and in spite of those restrictions, they were still able to produce a map for someone else to play.

This can be said with pretty much every PUSS wad. There have been some maps that may not have been the best, but I always found that the author's next map pretty much universally ended up being better. Jumping the ropes to try and make a map for these projects and having those maps be played by either myself or another is a great exercise in mapping ability. I like to think of PUSS as a springboard for folks to sharpen their mapping spears, rather than target practice for sharpshooters.

I'm pretty lenient on bug-fixes, so if you feel like you need to do 20 or so updates to lines or whatnot to get the level working, that's fine by me!

Like I said, it's up to you if you'd like me to include the map in the final release or not. I totally understand if you say no, but I would be very gleeful to have you hop aboard our sleigh-ride this year!

16 hours ago, BluePineapple72 said:

Just some random one. Any sort of editing of the map in UDB caused the nodebuilder to reconfigure everything in the wad automatically.

Thanks for the information; I'll have to look into some other nodebuilders in the future (and try to understand why ZokumBSP doesn't seem to write out).

That's good to know, thank you; I'm not a good judge on what makes a good or enjoyable level, thus if that's not the objective of the project then hopefully my map is fine.

That was the notion that I entered with; I've been mapping on-and-off for more than a decade now, but I've never released anything and I don't exactly know what makes for a good map. As you stated, I wanted to try something new (I've never mapped for Boom before now) with the goal to learn iterate from that. As I have a little bit more spare time these days, I want to make more maps that that others can enjoy and learn from the experience.

I would like to make a few more adjustments to the map, just to do a bit of a better job balancing. However, I'm going to be a little busy over the next few days, so any future version will be after then.

Ultimately with all said, if the map is fine then I would love for it to be included, but if there is something horribly wrong that I missed, then it may be best to not include it.

Edited by CyberosLeopard : Slight edit for clarity.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Due to scheduling errors I was lazy I wasn't able to complete the final RC1 of 12 More Days of Doommas by my planned time of 40 minutes ago.

Thankfully for you lot, I've got this brand spanking cool PRE RELEASE for you to feast you hungry little kiddie mouths on. I've got a pretty busy Christmas tomorrow. Hopefully around 9 PM ish tomorrow I'll have a proper release out, which will include a map from @CyberosLeopard and my map. But until then, enjoy this delicately wrapped 9 map specialty provided for your doommas enjoyment.

WAD: 12 More Days of Doommas PRE RELEASE

Port: Boom compatible

IWAD: DOOM2

Resources: Doomxmas, compiled in wad

Comments: Version 1 of the final wad will be released sometime tomorrow.

MAPLIST:

MAP01 - "Melter Mall" - @Jark
MAP02 - "Make the Yuletide Slay" - @Peccatum Mihzamiz (Not up to date. Will update with RC1)
MAP03 - "Mount Frosting" - @DynamiteKaitorn
MAP04 - "Fortress of Merry Christmas" - @El Inferno
MAP05 - "It’s Not Big It’s Just Full" - @notTyrone
MAP06 - "Tearing in the Air" - @muumi
MAP07 - "Lament of Christmas Past" - @Death Bear
MAP08 - "Doom Alone" - @Weird Sandwich
MAP09 - "I’m Dreaming of a Red Doommas" - @myolden

Upcoming:

"Forlorn Jollity Factorum" - @CyberosLeopard

"Smells Like Christmas Spirit" - @BluePineapple72

See you tomorrow for the full release!

LogoBIG.png

794088635174486038.png?size=128 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 794088635174486038.png?size=128 SOME MAPPER GAVE TO ME!!  794088635174486038.png?size=128 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 794088635174486038.png?size=128

IT IS STILL CHRISTMAS! If you're reading this in the far, distant, and brave future, it is currently 11:13 PM on December 25th twenty twenty one. So technically speaking. I am not late.

THE 12 MORE DAYS OF DOOMMAS IS HERE!!! 11 Maps that I promise are much more fun than last years! This one has half the cyberdemons!

WAD File: 12 More Days of Doommas - Version 1.2

Author: Various, compiled by BluePineapple72

IWAD: DOOM 2

Port: Boom compatible

Resources: Doomxmas - Compiled in wad
Comments: MegaWAD created as the fourteenth edition of the PUSS series. Maps are ordered in chronology of submission. Rules/gimmicks mappers followed are in the original post.

CHANGELOG:

Spoiler

Version 1.2 - 12/27/2021 2:06 PM 

• Updated MAP06 to version 3
    • added some more ammo to first part
    • nerfed crusher arena a bit
    • more monster tp lines
    • tp to final arena is now silent
  • Updated MAP11 to version 2
  • (lots 'o fixes/balance changes)
  • Updated Dehacked file

Version 1.1 - 12/26/2021 11:57 AM

• Updated Map02 to version 6 (fixed revenant trap)
  • Aligned M_DOOM

MAPLIST:

794088635174486038.png?size=128 MAP01 - "Melter Mall" - @Jark
794088635174486038.png?size=128 MAP02 - "Make the Yuletide Slay" - @Peccatum Mihzamiz   
794088635174486038.png?size=128 MAP03 - "Mount Frosting" - @DynamiteKaitorn
794088635174486038.png?size=128 MAP04 - "Fortress of Merry Christmas" - @El Inferno
794088635174486038.png?size=128 MAP05 - "It’s Not Big It’s Just Full" - @notTyrone
794088635174486038.png?size=128 MAP06 - "Tearing in the Air" - @muumi
794088635174486038.png?size=128 MAP07 - "Lament of Christmas Past" - @Death Bear
794088635174486038.png?size=128 MAP08 - "Doom Alone" - @Weird Sandwich
794088635174486038.png?size=128 MAP09 - "I’m Dreaming of a Red Doommas" - @myolden
794088635174486038.png?size=128 MAP10 - "Forlorn Jollity Factorum" - @CyberosLeopard
794088635174486038.png?size=128 MAP11 - "Smells Like Christmas Spirit" - @BluePineapple72

Rules for brevity:

12 Barrels O' Fun

11 Former Humans

10 Beefy Barons

9 Cell Charge Packs

8 Hours of Mapping

7 Crushing Ceilings

6 Secret Sectors

5 ARCH-VILES

4 Voodoo Dolls

3 Doomcute thingies

2 Cyberdemons

1 Bone Closet in a Trick Door

MERRY DOOMMAS EVERYONE!!!

Once again the Pineapple Under the Sea has risen from the deep to celebrate the greatest holiday of the year: Doommas. 10 PUSS veterans and 1 newcomer, quite the exciting sight to see! This wad is quite the ass kicker. I'm from the past, so I haven't played it yet, but methinks it should be easier to digest than the last one. Either way, it's a Christmas wad, how hard can it be?

In case you haven't noticed, I'm pretty behind on some PUSS stuff. Speed Squared, our event from April, still needs some work to exit beta. Warpspeed and SOS still need some maps. Our Anniversary event lingers, etc. etc. I'm gonna take a few months to take a breather and catch up on all the work I should've done the last time I took a breather to catch up on all of the work I should've done the last time... you get the idea.

Either way, we're gonna go on hiatus for a hot minute. But when we return... you can bet your ass we'll come back swinging.

Hell! We even have the title of our next uppercut!

M7OifRhNV0QAAAAASUVORK5CYII.png

Edited by BluePineapple72

Since Discord is being awkward, I'll post the v2 revision here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/iuiuhcgg0n2c9ex/Mount-Frosting-v2.zip/file

CHANGELOG:

Spoiler

1 - Added a few extra clips near the spawn area to give you a little more ammo early on

2 - Changed some of the shotgun shells in the red castle to Boxes of ammo and 1 box of shells

3 - Added 1 extra small shotgun shell ammo in baron room

4 - Attempted to clean up the door issue of the castle so it doesn't look like it goes into the sky (kinda hard to do since it messes up the visuals of the local area)

5 - Moved the plasma cells for ****s and giggles

6 - deleted a completely useless linedef

So... I've been fixing some bugs (and other bugs brought about by fixing bugs) over the last few days. I think I might have a version that is hopefully okay...ish. With that said, I might make one last version with a few suggestions implemented from the video.

On a side note, I did catch the oversight with the red lift/door not requiring the key a few days ago (I've only just watched the video... between my fingers... hoping not to embarrass myself too much). From what my poor memory tells me, and I could very well be wrong, ZDoom permits one to assign a key requirement to any-old sidedef, which is where I had forgot that Vanilla/Boom does not. The solution is far from elegant and has the issue where the player can trigger the Revenant closet without opening said door (I'm at a bit of a loss on fixing that right now). Also, I've found that the ''torch switches" and some of the enemy spawns don't quite work in Boom/Eternity but are fine in GZDoom. Some adjustments have been made, but I cannot (annoyingly) guarantee that they will work every time.

Oh, also, I've not played Sunlust :D

FJF_doomxmas2021_v1.5_final.wad.zip

3 hours ago, CyberosLeopard said:

On a side note, I did catch the oversight with the red lift/door not requiring the key a few days ago (I've only just watched the video... between my fingers... hoping not to embarrass myself too much). From what my poor memory tells me, and I could very well be wrong, ZDoom permits one to assign a key requirement to any-old sidedef, which is where I had forgot that Vanilla/Boom does not. The solution is far from elegant and has the issue where the player can trigger the Revenant closet without opening said door (I'm at a bit of a loss on fixing that right now). Also, I've found that the ''torch switches" and some of the enemy spawns don't quite work in Boom/Eternity but are fine in GZDoom. Some adjustments have been made, but I cannot (annoyingly) guarantee that they will work every time.

My recommendation for this would be to have the red key door be joined to a door in a voodoo script that opens up the revenant closet behind the player.

Essentially, at the end of one of the voodoo scripts you've used earlier, the voodoo doll would get stuck behind say, door 52. Door 52 is also the red key door. When you open door 52 (needing the red key), the voodoo doll is scrolled over a line action that does everything you need for that fight (lowering the floor)

3 hours ago, CyberosLeopard said:

Oh, also, I've not played Sunlust :D

It's quite the experience! I was unable to finish it unfortunately mainly due to myself getting burnt out on it's harshness on UV :P

19 hours ago, BluePineapple72 said:

My recommendation for this would be to have the red key door be joined to a door in a voodoo script that opens up the revenant closet behind the player.

Essentially, at the end of one of the voodoo scripts you've used earlier, the voodoo doll would get stuck behind say, door 52. Door 52 is also the red key door. When you open door 52 (needing the red key), the voodoo doll is scrolled over a line action that does everything you need for that fight (lowering the floor)

Thank you so much for that! I've setup one of the voodoo scripts to operate the Revenant closet and it works just fine. I have also implemented a few points you made in the video; raising the red skull pillars a little faster to help prevent the player from getting stuck behind them; a little more ammo at the end area (I think I may have added some ammo a few days ago, but ammo scarcity isn't too much of a concern at the end of the map).

FJF_doomxmas2021_v1.6_final.wad.zip

Edited by CyberosLeopard : Forgot the ZIP...

I walked outside for the first time in a while recently and noticed that I still haven't taken my Christmas decorations down. It's no bother though, because the 12 MORE DAYS OF DOOMMAS has just been archived on the idgames database!

Included are 11 cold speedmaps made late last year and one credits map made yesterday each themed with the rules written on the first page. I'm not writing them here.

MAPLIST:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Yeah... I'm not a fan of malls either. Too many people. And I don't really like spending money all that much anyways. This mall however is one of the ones you'd see in a George Romero movie; only instead of zombies you've got these snowmen who uh... well, you'll see. @Jark's second PUSS map brings you on a shopping trip you'll never forget.

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Bringing us yet another Merry Christmas is @Peccatum Mihzamiz , who's beautiful Christmas Tree forest is littered with... litter. Yeah, the city's sanitation department has really let this place go. Lotta arch-viles tossed off the freeway and into our beautiful Christmassy nature. Real tragedy.

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Delivering a punchy ice cold trap-laden is @DynamiteKaitorn (also known as Heich), another veteran PUSS mapper. Mount Frosting is very cold. That shouldn't surprise you because this is a Christmas mapset. What should surprise you are all of the monsters that teleport behind you.

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

@El Inferno, slaughter extraordinaire, teaches us the true meaning of Christmas. It's a lot bonier and screamier than I remember it being when I was a child. Something tells me this mapper has a real Crimson Affinity for these kinds of maps... 

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

That's what I said to myself about five minutes ago when I heated up this big plate of soggy nachos that've been in my fridge for a week. I mean c'mon, Look at them! I feel like I'm gonna regret this cause I just took a bite of something chunky and it tasted like sour cream.

Anyways, @notTyrone's map makes you ponder the significance of food safety and sell by dates. Look. If my roommate knew he'd be going home a few days after going to Sabor he shouldn't have put it in the fridge to save for later 'sall I'm saying.

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png'

Ahh @muumi. One of three mappers in this set who made their debut in the first 12 Days of Doommas. I'm starting to feel nostalgic because this is a very nostalgic map. Pulped full of atmosphere is Muumi's morose 'tearing in the air.' A contemplative map set to break the blockmap. No seriously this map breaks the blockmap. Across a vast valley of open space you, the player, will find yourself walking in the air.

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Right after you had that positive nostalgic experience on Muumi's map, @Death Bear makes you focus on the lament of Christmas now passed. I say passed not past because this map killed them. That's folks! A PUSS first! This map is alive and it hates you! I warned Bear not to experiment too much with the builder, but I guess he didn't listen and went ahead and created artificial malevolent sentience. I can't even bear the thought of it.

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

KEVIN!!!

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

I hope you've prepared to be sacrificed on the altars of madness, cause we've got a @myolden map. Hailing from the sub blistered valleys of Death comes a chilling Electric Wizard of a mapper who's Sunder inspired insanity will make you... Death Grips.

I tried my best.

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Nearing the end of this merry batch of PUSS legends is a PUSS first timer! @CyberosLeopard gives us a jolly tour of a forlorn factory set in the frozen facilities of the freaky. They're not making toys here. No... They call them 'models' these days.

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

While Death Bear was experimenting with artificial intelligence on his map, I decided to see what I could do with farting! Not much it turns out. But I did manage to make my keyboard smell like shit! Either way I'm back here to remind the player that I hate them and love things that set them on fire and turn them into goop.

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

Usually when you release these map wad things you want to attribute the effort put into a pack to the people who deserve it. I couldn't find a way to give all of that credit to myself, so I settled on making a map that splits it evenly. Everybody wins!

Spoiler

unknown.png

Since I've thrown my last cardboard reindeer back into the sewer where it belongs I guess it's safe to say that Christmas is over this year. 

If you've been paying any attention to the going-ons in the PUSS, we've just released three megawads within a week of eachother. Technically two megawads and one mapset (this one), but I won't have any of that semantics crap. We've (and by we I mean me) have finally overcome the big hurdles of these events and have gotten to the quick n' dirty part of working on them. I've also finally found my doomworld password so I can start posting again. Real tragedy losing that.

Since I need to end this thread somehow, I suggest you click this link and go check out Mysterious Mayan Madness!

Until next time folks ,o7

Edited by BluePineapple72

Finished the first mapset in this series today, absolutely loved it!

Discovered the continuation exists accidentally from youtube video, well, I thought, maybe this needs a bump, too!

Edited by Arwel