Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

JAMAL JONES TRILOGY - Old development thread - [Doomkid's 20 Years Mapping Contest]

this is my fourth attempt of trying to actually start a map, lmao rip my life

Screenshot_Doom_20220202_044116.png.b0e82fdf4bacd91f0b0d1d171578add4.png

18 hours ago, Blexor said:

I have to say, I understand Doomkid's pain about this being a hard set to judge. Already I think I've seen some potential winners. As a consequence, it's also made me realize that my own map stands no chance at all, but really, that's fine by me. Just getting to use this resource pack was its own reward. :)

yeah, it's discouraging. it'd be nice to get into the episode and all, but even if we don't it'll still be good practice ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

and hey, we get to see a good mapper (i.e. doomkid) play through our maps and give advice, which is honestly something i desperately need

Edited by roadworx

I've made two versions of the map I plan to use, one is in map slot seven and uses the tag 666 wall lowering trigger to end the final fight. The other is in map slot one and you just use a switch to lower the door. Witch one do you think I should use? (They're the same map otherwise)

48 minutes ago, Earnesttrout said:

I've made two versions of the map I plan to use, one is in map slot seven and uses the tag 666 wall lowering trigger to end the final fight. The other is in map slot one and you just use a switch to lower the door. Witch one do you think I should use? (They're the same map otherwise)

If you've made two versions feel free to send both - there's a chance it might be the "right" map for slot 7 after all difficulty wise and theme-wise, but in case it isn't, having an all-purpose version is the safer bet.

Yay done my map

Name: Reading The Demonic Scriptures

Tested with: Chocolate Doom and Vanilla Doom

Music: Reading The Demonic Scriptures by myself

Difficulty settings: yes

Average playtime: 5 minutes

Build time: About 6 hours

Co-op: Yes

Deathmatch: yes

Give it a go.

https://doomshack.org/uploads/Reading The Demonic Scriptures-v1.0.wad

If peeps would like to give it a go. Any problems let me know.

Some screenies again.

2022-01-30_00-29-15.mkv.gif

Spoiler

2022-01-30_00-28-31.mkv.gif

2022-01-30_00-27-32.mkv.gif

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

If you've made two versions feel free to send both - there's a chance it might be the "right" map for slot 7 after all difficulty wise and theme-wise, but in case it isn't, having an all-purpose version is the safer bet.

Thanks will send em in as soon as i figure out how to balance different difficulties.

Finally updated my map with some further difficulty balancing and some other small changes - the only minor thing is the exit area with the STEPTOP texture being used as a security gate now looks funky, but should be corrected when the next updated resource rolls around. I would appreciate any other feedback should there be any other oddities found in my map - everything should work as intended in chocolate Doom and other ports so far as I know!

The Escapist (Version 2)

Hey friends, just posting the updated res pack V5!

https://doomshack.org/uploads/1ManV5.zip

This adds 16 pixel high variants of the STEP** textures back into the wad! (If you don't use fake bridges or STEP textures as midtextures, this update will be no biggie for you.. Just fixing a massive error I introduced WHOOPS)

I'll have the WIP megawad itself posted soon as well. We've got about 25 maps so far and they all are well and truly fun experiences. Keep up the fine work, everyone.

16 hours ago, Doomkid said:

We've got about 25 maps so far

😱 Wow. Nearly a full megawad and almost a full month to go!

Here's the WIP megawad so far!

>>> Download WIP v5 here <<<

Here's where each contributor's map is in the wad:

01 - Rycuz - To The Site

02 - Evil_scientist - Packin' Heat

03 - Majipantsu - Shopping Spree

04 - E.M. - Mucopurulent Mystery

05 - Earnesttrout - Dark Secrets

06 - Glikkzy - Pollution Plant

07 - CBM - 1 WORLD

08 - Rymante - Waste 'Em

09 - Vladguy - Running Down

10 - Doomkid - Base of Consequences

11 - Valkiriforce - The Escapist

12 - Blexor - Caustic Canyon

13 - Osmosis Bones - Starflippers Inc.

14 - Skronkidonk - Eden's River

15 - Origamyde - Wheel of (Mis)fortune

16 - Jacnowak - Damned Dam

17 - Finnks - Slime Infestation

18 - NeilJohnRips - Reading The Demonic Scriptures

19 - MEMEAIDS - Ironclad Fortress

20 - MtPain27 - Ezekiel 25:17

21 - Yumheart - Death Leap

22 - ShadesMan - BLOOD FOZZLE

23 - Hitboi - Devilish Belly

24 - LGMaire - Future Hometown

Of course this rotation will change (obviously since more maps are going to be submitted!) but I still think it's a damn fun wad as-is.

A couple tiny things I noticed:

@Vladguy, the skyline around the mountainous outdoor area has a lot of HOMs, a door frame is also 8 units too high so the texture wraps a bit strangely:

S37bRSNl.png

vx0FyYIl.png

@CBM, those textures used on 1-sided linedefs can't have transparent bits, it turns to tutti-frutti in vanilla:

jU9e36Bl.png

(Also CBM, @ShadesMaster and @MtPain27's maps still cause crashes in vanilla, the former two because of visplane overflows, and MtPain's due to over 63 scrolling walls being used. Just reminding you guys, I know I mentioned it earlier, I'm not intending to pester you lol)

I do need to do more vanilla/dosbox/chocolate doom testing of each map, but any help you all can give on that front will of course be greatly appreciated.

Have fun with the beta version, I know I have!

@Doomkid  Using V5 resources.  The new 16 high Step textures (as mid textures) still look funky in chocolate doom but fine in other ports.  I think the patches need to be 16 high to maintain vanilla/chocolate compatibility.

Cool stuff, I am definetly doing some playtesting, unfortunately in shopping spree the revenant can get a bit stuck, but that's my only complaint.

image.png.54002700909e9a8f1b3d3835babbb016.png

Edited by LGmaire

5 hours ago, Blue Phoenix said:

@Doomkid  Using V5 resources.  The new 16 high Step textures (as mid textures) still look funky in chocolate doom but fine in other ports.  I think the patches need to be 16 high to maintain vanilla/chocolate compatibility.

Thanks for finding this issue - will get it fixed soon! I had just assumed it would ignore the extra - whoops

7 hours ago, Doomkid said:

@CBM, those textures used on 1-sided linedefs can't have transparent bits, it turns to tutti-frutti in vanilla:

jU9e36Bl.png

(Also CBM, @ShadesMaster and @MtPain27's maps still cause crashes in vanilla, the former two because of visplane overflows, and MtPain's due to over 63 scrolling walls being used. Just reminding you guys, I know I mentioned it earlier, I'm not intending to pester you lol)

here is version 1.2... just tested it in doom 2 v.1.9 using dosbox

I removed the fence to lower the visplane count and prevent the fence tutti frutti...

still have some tutti frutti with the exit sign, Im not sure why.. But I left the exit sign in place because I need an exit sign

download:

1world v.1.2

Aww, it is not the latest version of my map in the WIP megawad! I know it does not matter so much at this point since the compiled wad is not final, but I will just mention it regardless. :)

Apart from that, I am really enjoying the maps we have so far! Some go a bit above my skill level on several difficulties, but it is all great stuff, really.    

11 hours ago, Doomkid said:

@Vladguy, the skyline around the mountainous outdoor area has a lot of HOMs, a door frame is also 8 units too high so the texture wraps a bit strangely

I noticed those, but I thought they weren't a huge issue. Eh, whatever. Here's version 3 with the door frame and HOM fix.

I used a trick from Powertrip's MAP08 for the HOM issue, I hope that's no biggie.

https://doomshack.org/uploads/Running_Down (v3).wad

Well, the original plan was to get completely caught up before posting another one of these, but I did manage to find a few bugs (as detailed in the respective sections), so I figure it's probably a good idea to get them out there sooner rather than later. This does cover all the maps which I currently have downloaded, anyway.

"Blood Fozzle" (ShadesMaster)

Spoiler

It'd be a crime not to first mention how visually striking this one is. The blood-reds really make it stand out. Seems like it takes a while to find some other weapons, but that's not as bad as it could be since the pistol rules in this pack. The last room is indeed a bit tricky, but copious use of the plasma gun did the trick for me. Related: I have no earthly idea how I opened the secret leading to it.

"Eden's River" (Stronkidonk)

Spoiler

That second room really grinds you up if you're not careful! I think I second evil_scientist's opinion that the final trap is a bit tepid. Otherwise, the map is fun and brisk and its a shame it ends so soon. Possible bug: When testing this map in GZDoom, I found I could active the southernmost switch without triggering the monster closets, but this isn't possible on other SPs. Weird.

"Death Leap" (Yumheart)

Spoiler

The beginning few minutes of this map are surprisingly lethal, and killed me plenty, but then it also took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out there was a shotgun and chaingun within jogging distance from the start. I do like this one, though; It's like a puzzle where I have to figure out which supplies to grab first. That last fight is beyond my capabilities to clear on UV, but I inched by after lowering the difficulty. A strong contender, here.

"Starflippers Inc." (Osmosis Bones)

Spoiler

Any time I thought this level was going easy on me, those key ambushes sure put my head on straight. Your fondness for those green slime-chuckers is apparent, and you could have fooled me into thinking this wasn't the first map you've made in earnest--It's surprisingly fluid. Thanks to your generosity, I was able to find all the secrets. I like the NIN one, in particular. Very tasteful. :)

"Shopping Spree" (Majipantsu)

Spoiler

This map is an absolute joy to play. Maybe I'm just a sucker for anytime a map tries to 'look' like something, I dunno. Nothing I found too difficult here, but the arrival of Archie & Friends towards the end does put on the pressure. The MIDI, though good, feels a little short. Bonus points for including a hedgemaze in any context.

"Damned Dam" (jacnowak)

Spoiler

The monsters sure were sneaky on my playthrough of this. The Arch-vile twins by the blue key turned me into roast beef because I rushed in and had one of them body-block my exit. My ammo supplies ran totally dry by the end, but I still managed 100% kills and was probably being wasteful anyhow.

"Running Down" (Vladguy)

Spoiler

Well, if you hadn't guessed by now, I have a fondness for little details in maps, so the slime leakages around this base get my seal of approval. A couple of the rooms felt a bit cramped for my liking, and those grate textures by the yellow key appear misaligned, but all else seems fine. They sure packed 'em in tight in that crate near the exit, huh?

"Wheel of (mis)Fortune" (Origamyde)

Spoiler

Another handsome map, no less pleasing to look at than your last contribution. I spent most of the runtime at low health thanks to the shotgunners, but I won't try to excuse that as anything other than a me problem. I did find a bug, though: The berserk secret can be be grabbed without needing to lower the wall. I found this on GZDoom, but was able to replicate it on every other sourceport I tried. Squeeze it a little tighter into the corner, maybe?

I've been toying with the idea of making a map for the non-vanilla extra WAD, if that's something that's still on the table. Given my pace, though, I can't imagine such a thing possibly being finished before the 1st (Not unless I purposefully made it short). Otherwise, I'm thinking I might tinker with my main submission, now that there's been two updates to the resource pack since I last looked at it.

Alright, sense I want to try and make a map for this, I have a few questions for ya @Doomkid.
1. What format should I be using (I'm using Doom Builder) to make sure the map is vanilla compatible?
2. Should I load in the resource pack or should it be just a custom midi and Vanilla content when I make this?
3. If I do need to use the resource pack, how do I load it in?

1 - This will be called Doom: Doom 2 (Doom Format) or something along those lines, basically vanilla Doom 2 format!

2 - Load the resource pack, it has a few extra textures, extra enemies in the commander keen and SS nazi slots, and the vanilla textures have been re-done entirely

3 - In Doom Builder, as you're either making a new map or opening a map, there will be a window where you can click "add resources..." here, you'll usually add doom2.wad, followed by the resource wad.

Welp, my map is looking pretty finished, so I might as well submit it now.

Map Title: Corrupted Utopia

Author: Argent Agent

Music: "Time Runner" by Mark Klem (Memento Mori 2 MAP25)

Build Time: One Month

Play Time: 20-30 minutes

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Multiplayer Compatibility: Yes (with extra monsters in multiplayer)

Deathmatch Compatibility: Yes (though the layout is untested)

Play-tested in: Doom 2 v1.9 via DOSBox v0.72 (mainly for drawseg overflow troubleshooting), DSDA Doom v0.21.3, Zandronum v3.0

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/cl652uaehrlcal5/AA_JJ_V1.wad/file

Thanks to testers Combinebobnt and Jwaffe!

Screenshots:

XITMzeW.png

tQdjqkW.png

L64oda3.png

T51Lr63.png

ZRG4ooq.png

95V46Ll.png

58 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

1 - This will be called Doom: Doom 2 (Doom Format) or something along those lines, basically vanilla Doom 2 format!

2 - Load the resource pack, it has a few extra textures, extra enemies in the commander keen and SS nazi slots, and the vanilla textures have been re-done entirely

3 - In Doom Builder, as you're either making a new map or opening a map, there will be a window where you can click "add resources..." here, you'll usually add doom2.wad, followed by the resource wad.

Great, thank you!

Title : Sewage City

Difficulty levels are sparsely  implemented.  HMP is what I tested with, UV might be more frustrating.

Tested with Gzdoom 1.71. Should work on anything, however Chocolate Doom doesn't display 16 high step textures correctly with the latest resource pack.

I am not confident in my ability to gauge difficulty or in encounter design, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vzhzhzl6wsi4pcu/sewage city v0.wad?dl=0

Screenshot_Doom_20220207_053022.png.19b05b1b6e62f20526f55e9d65752fec.pngScreenshot_Doom_20220207_055438.png.5f3532fb3729764c2ff80041101c6dda.png

Map Name: Babylon1816

Build Progress: Balancing, looking mainly for feedback beacouse I am not a good doom player :(
Buid time: *duke nukem impression* too long
Difficulties: Only one for now, I'll implement more when I'll finish balancing and stuff

Tested with: Crispy Doom, Gzdoom (old version of the wad), Zandronum (the same as gz)
Music(I'll propably change it in the future): Malice Mizer - Le Ciel

It is my frist published doom map so please be harsh on it ;)

https://doomshack.org/uploads/Babylon1816.wad

Screenshot_Doom_20220208_163254.png

Edited by Jastrzab Trzeci

Basic structure and theme is settled. Now need to work more on transitions, detailing, secrets, exit, balancing.... ufff.

*HELP* I've got a weird issue here. Some floor lowering linedefs stopped working. Whenever they are triggered their floor just jumps up a bit instead of going down. The floor height is pretty low (-1500 and such). Is there a problem with that? They seemed to be working when the sectors where higher up. The problem appears in PrBoom+ and Chocolate. GZDoom is fine as usual. Maybe some vanilla limit, @Doomkid?

UPDATE: Moving all sectors up significantly fixed it. Guess I just hit a vanilla limit...

mappy.jpg

Edited by sectrslayr

hey, question - what exactly does "classic doomy feel" entail in terms of gameplay? if my layout feels like an oversized deathmatch map (i.e. is designed for fluid movement), would that count? or does it need doors and lifts to break up movement n stuff?

Edited by roadworx

2 hours ago, roadworx said:

hey, question - what exactly does "classic doomy feel" entail in terms of gameplay? if my layout feels like an oversized deathmatch map (i.e. is designed for fluid movement), would that count? or does it need doors and lifts to break up movement n stuff?

Just play "knee deep in the dead" for inspiration. That's what I did

Yo Doomkid, quick question. If possible, if there are any more map spots available, could I possibly try to make an extra map in Boom? Not saying I'm going to, I'm saying if I feel like it. Thanks