Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Terrcraft

Quake II potential remaster to be revealed this quakecon?

I just pray that the N64 campaign get ported in. It's another game entirely and I don't want it to be stuck on the N64 for time to come, and the best time for them to bring it back is with this remaster.

Hell, I don't even care if they don't bother to update the textures from the low-res N64 ones like with the Quake 64 map ports, I just want the campaign to be playable.

Please keep in mind we have Nightdive members as forum regulars and to be respectful we should probably not speculate too much on this.

(Also please don't bother them about it; they obviously can't even acknowledge that it exists.)

19 hours ago, Individualised said:

Please keep in mind we have Nightdive members as forum regulars and to be respectful we should probably not speculate too much on this.

Yeah of course. It's just my wishful thinking, that's all

21 hours ago, Wavy said:

I just pray that the N64 campaign get ported in. It's another game entirely and I don't want it to be stuck on the N64 for time to come, and the best time for them to bring it back is with this remaster.

Hell, I don't even care if they don't bother to update the textures from the low-res N64 ones like with the Quake 64 map ports, I just want the campaign to be playable.

That would be awsome for sure, as it would count as a true new Campaign to play and as you say, it would be freed from the old Console.

I had fun playing it and it is a shame that i hadn't got my Fingers on it back in the Day, we played much Turok 2 on Multiplayer, this surely would have been a blast.

1 minute ago, Individualised said:

Just thought; will we be getting a new expansion like Quake 1 did?

this and/or a addon of quake 2 64/psx

3 minutes ago, Terrcraft said:

this and/or a addon of quake 2 64/psx

I reckon it would probably be Q2:64 only as the PSX version is a collection of butchered down PC maps (from base game and expansions).

Would be neat tho.

On 6/26/2023 at 7:46 AM, Agent Strange said:

Off topic but I'd love if PSX Doom got ported to Unity Doom. That would be cool.

That would mean recreating the psx doom engine (cuz is not completely the same as PC). And aside the Jaguar levels and exclusive maps, there's not much of value to bring the PSX DOOM on Unity.

Also, PsyDoom exists, and is fucking great! :P

2 minutes ago, Herr Dethnout said:

That would mean recreating the psx doom engine (cuz is not completely the same as PC). And aside the Jaguar levels and exclusive maps, there's not much of value to bring the PSX DOOM on Unity.

Also, PsyDoom exists, and is fucking great! :P

Sure, but PsyDoom still requires Playstation Doom, which is not commercially available on PC. I have been told that there are plans to add the official Playstation maps to the Master Edition, but I do not know if Id would be cool with that - or at the very least willing to promote it.

48 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Sure, but PsyDoom still requires Playstation Doom, which is not commercially available on PC. I have been told that there are plans to add the official Playstation maps to the Master Edition, but I do not know if Id would be cool with that - or at the very least willing to promote it.

Nothing that traveling the seven seas doesn't resolve *wink* *wink*.

Anyway, if we talk about the Playstation exclusive maps (Not the Jaguar based omne cuz that maps belongs 100% to id) the copyright is debatable between id and Williams.

On 7/16/2023 at 10:38 PM, Rudolph said:

Master Edition is already distributing unmodified IWAD/copyrighted content. That includes the game executable itself, which isn't free as PSX Doom was never open sourced. I guess that's the reason why an exception was made for it despite the Doom community's stance on this sort of thing, it's still distributing unmodified game data though.

While Quake 2 is no doubt meant to be played with texture filtering (and personally I prefer it), one thing I do hope the remaster will do is not filter HUD elements when filtering is turned on as the current Quake 1 remaster does, or at least make it a cvar like Yamagi Quake 2 does (r_2d_unfiltered). While it is vanilla behaviour, it's hard to argue that HUD elements look good filtered, I think most people can agree that this looks ugly:

image.png.025bad7f82f657498073159ea957bab7.png

compared to this:

image.png.587364e97f84454f24e8b1f723c53004.png

Wouldn’t it be funny if it turns out there is no actual Quake 2 remaster and it’s just a remaster of the soundtrack on vinyl and digital? I guess we’ll know in a few weeks. 

1 minute ago, G19Doom said:

Wouldn’t it be funny if it turns out there is no actual Quake 2 remaster and it’s just a remaster of the soundtrack on vinyl and digital? I guess we’ll know in a few weeks. 

I wouldn't even be talking about it if it wasn't for the fact that the Korean game ratings board pretty much leaked the existence of it.

Remember when people thought the Quake 1 remaster was actually a new Quake game entirely before QuakeCon? Tons of BS rumors that all turned out to be nonsense. I wouldn’t rely solely on a game ratings board leak that was soon removed as evidence that it is anything to get hyped about. Sure, maybe it really is a remaster and the soundtrack is just an additional part of it, but I will believe it when it is officially announced. 

3 minutes ago, G19Doom said:

Remember when people thought the Quake 1 remaster was actually a new Quake game entirely before QuakeCon? Tons of BS rumors that all turned out to be nonsense. I wouldn’t rely solely on a game ratings board leak that was soon removed as evidence that it is anything to get hyped about. Sure, maybe it really is a remaster and the soundtrack is just an additional part of it, but I will believe it when it is officially announced. 

Those were pretty different circumstances. The same board leaked the Quake 1 remaster, people didn't know what "Quake Remastered" at the time would have entailed hence all of the massive speculation. (plus there were already false rumours about Machine Games working on a new Quake game at the time, which turned out to be an exaggeration of them working on a new Quake 1 expansion, so that only fuelled the fire) I think we can pretty easily guess what "Quake 2 Remastered" is supposed to be. The Korean game ratings board has a history of accurately leaking games before they are announced.

Hopefully you’re right, otherwise I can’t imagine QC being at all exciting this year (with the exception of some of the guests that will speak, that should be interesting) if this turns out to be some weird mistaken rating. 

2 minutes ago, G19Doom said:

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/06/quake-ii-remastered-rated-in-korea 

this article states that
"The Game Rating and Administration Committee of Korea has rated the unannounced Quake II Remastered."
No game rating agency I've heard of rates a soundtrack rerelease. That would be like if the MPA Gave a game an M rating. 

No one reasonably thought the Quake 1 rating was a reboot. The TAG2 DLC just came out. Also, ratings are not released till a few months before a game comes out typically.

2 minutes ago, Terrcraft said:

No one reasonably thought the Quake 1 rating was a reboot. The TAG2 DLC just came out. Also, ratings are not released till a few months before a game comes out typically.

No one? Were you offline all that time? There were tons of bogus “leaks” about a new Quake game being announced at QuakeCon with a female protagonist. There were enough people believing it for me to remember this ever taking place. 

I am looking forward to a Q2 rerelease, but I still want to wait for the real announcement before getting too excited. Everything other than the rating at this point is entirely speculative. 

Just now, G19Doom said:

No one? Were you offline all that time? There were tons of bogus “leaks” about a new Quake game being announced at QuakeCon with a female protagonist. There were enough people believing it for me to remember this ever taking place. 

I was kinda hyperbolic with the no one part and probably should have said it differently. Im just trying to say that no AAA id game in recent memory has been announced and then came out like 2-3 months later. which if the rating was for a reboot would have likely been the case. 

I guess my main reason for being skeptical is because it was hyped and assumed that a Q2 remaster was coming at the last QuakeCon, and it ended up being little more than a Bethesda showcase. The rating does make it seem more likely to be real, but I don’t want to go through the same disappointment again. 

3 hours ago, Individualised said:

While Quake 2 is no doubt meant to be played with texture filtering (and personally I prefer it), one thing I do hope the remaster will do is not filter HUD elements when filtering is turned on as the current Quake 1 remaster does, or at least make it a cvar like Yamagi Quake 2 does (r_2d_unfiltered). While it is vanilla behaviour, it's hard to argue that HUD elements look good filtered, I think most people can agree that this looks ugly:

image.png.025bad7f82f657498073159ea957bab7.png

compared to this:

image.png.587364e97f84454f24e8b1f723c53004.png

The only HUD elements that are filtered in vanilla are that of the console background and the quit prompt. Everything else has no filtering, namely because they aren't scaled at all in vanilla (I was the one who proposed the r_2d_unfiltered option btw).

3 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

The only HUD elements that are filtered in vanilla are that of the console background and the quit prompt. Everything else has no filtering, namely because they aren't scaled at all in vanilla (I was the one who proposed the r_2d_unfiltered option btw).

I wasn't aware of this, that makes more sense. I knew Quake 1 didn't have GUI scaling in vanilla so not sure why I assumed Quake 2 did.

Dimension of the Machine got me hooked on Quake again for the first time in years. If this is happening, a new campaign for Quake II of comparable quality would be absolutely wicked IMO.

The splash screen for the Quakecon sale on Steam has an out of place Quake 2 logo with no other context other than the Mighty Doom Quake 2 cosmetics image - that game isn't on Steam or PC so I think it's just being used as an image to represent Quake 2. I know it was pretty much already confirmed but now it actually feels real.

image.png.b4b2b59a452044d3aec7ec11d2589387.png

>"(And pretty much every other DOOM game you can think of)"

>And so that means I can buy Jaguar DOOM at 0.99$ :)

Jokes aside, I have one question if Quake II actually gets remastered...

GOG version at launch? Seriously, the Unity ports of Doom and the KexQuake remaster released on GOG over a year later after they arrived on other platforms.