Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Terrcraft

Quake II potential remaster to be revealed this quakecon?

On 8/18/2022 at 1:49 PM, BGreener said:

If it’s not so formulaic and linear I might be interested. That’s why I got real bored of Vermintide and Back 4 Blood. Not so much for Deep Rock Galactic, I’ve sunk a few hundred hours into that.

If they somehow came out with more levels or beefed up the beastiary in some capacity, say more enemy variety, types, factions it would be much better.

I feel like its almost there, it just needs a little more oomph for afterward when youve already played a while and NOT JUST endless ramped difficulty.

Edited by Dreamskull

55 minutes ago, Dreamskull said:

If they somehow came out with more levels or beefed up the beastiary in some capacity, say more enemy variety, types, factions it would be much better.

I feel like its almost there, it just needs a little more oomph for afterward when youve already played a while.

Powerslaved Exhumed did something similar. It had a new difficulty with its own enemy placements and encounters. An additional difficulty or something similar for a Quake 2 remaster would be delicious, just needs that lovebump.

I feel like it needs like a secret unlockable mode that when unlocked you can take other people with you to experience it, not necessarily a difficulty bump though it could be included, but something that fundamentally changes it. I feel like theres got to be something in mind for longer play sessions and not just a contineous play through multiple levels in a mode that exists temporarily. I know its all scenario driven, but something meta is needed to slap you silly to shatter routine, something you might not come back from if you fumble it. A persistent element would shake off the malaise if its not annoying.

I feel like a QII rerelease was inevitable, so no surprise really if this is true. Hopefully it’ll have the expansion packs as well as the PS1 and N64 campaigns included. Also, Nightmare (Hard+) should be added as a “new” difficulty and should have the health cap like they did with Quake 1 rerelease as well as reduce the effectiveness of the energy armor in this skill to keep player’s from being too OP’d. This would make the game far harder. Also would be cool to have centered animations for the guns when you align them to centered view instead of there being nothing there.

7 minutes ago, Dreamskull said:

I feel like it needs like a secret unlockable mode that when unlocked you can take other people with you to experience it, not necessarily a difficulty bump though it could be included, but something that fundamentally changes it. I feel like theres got to be something in mind for longer play sessions and not just a contineous play through multiple levels in a mode that exists temporarily. I know its all scenario driven, but something meta is needed to slap you silly to shatter routine, something you might not come back from if you fumble it. A persistent element would shake off the malaise if its not annoying.

Sir that's CO-OP with funny friends instead of go all inmersive. 

They try to do with events, but the events are trash. They dont add anything. Its like a gimmick or a modifier. What Im talking bout needs to go all out.

4 hours ago, Terrcraft said:

YES AAAA THANK YOU NIGHTDIVE?

Honestly I'm more excited for this than the new Mario game. Maybe it's because this was completely out of the blue while rumours of a new 2D Mario had been bubbling up for a while but I don't know.

27 minutes ago, FecalMystAche said:

I feel like a QII rerelease was inevitable, so no surprise really if this is true. Hopefully it’ll have the expansion packs as well as the PS1 and N64 campaigns included. Also, Nightmare (Hard+) should be added as a “new” difficulty and should have the health cap like they did with Quake 1 rerelease as well as reduce the effectiveness of the energy armor in this skill to keep player’s from being too OP’d. This would make the game far harder. Also would be cool to have centered animations for the guns when you align them to centered view instead of there being nothing there.

Unlikely for the PS1 version as it runs on a custom engine but I believe Quake 2 for Nintendo 64 still runs on id Tech 2 so it's possible (which is ironic as it's a completely different game with completely different levels and music while the PS1 version was at least somewhat of a conversion of the PC game)

Edited by Individualised

29 minutes ago, Dreamskull said:

Do you guys remember the Quake 2 expansion weapons?

I hope they are given their own key bindings. Having to scroll through the inventory was not particularly intuitive, especially in the middle of a fight.

12 minutes ago, Individualised said:

Unlikely for the PS1 version as it runs on a custom engine

Did Quake 64 not run on a custom engine as well?

If anything, they could at least try to port the Aubrey Hodges soundtrack and the exclusive levels.

Just now, Rudolph said:

Did Quake 64 not run on a custom engine as well?

Like I said in my post I'm pretty sure it's id Tech 2 though I'm not 100% certain

Seeing the amazing remaster of Quake 1 made me even more convinced that it would be great to see a remaster of this truly iconic game!

1 hour ago, Individualised said:

Like I said in my post I'm pretty sure it's id Tech 2 though I'm not 100% certain

Oh, sorry. I forgot "Id Tech 2" was the Quake engine.

I will expect nothing in the immediate future.

If something does come of this then I will be pleasantly surprised.

9 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

I mean it's pretty much confirmed. Sure they could decide to cancel it but we at least know that the game exists and is probably completed or near completion. Game rating boards don't add listings for made up games whether by accident or not.

The N64 levels have been ported by people before, wouldn't be impossible for it to be done again for the new port if needed. (Assuming its real). The perfect package for me would be Q2, both expansions, the N64 campaign, and official addons, with easy support for the unofficial expansions (Because I still want to get through those someday; unofficial add-ons are a kind of guilty pleasure)

Thanks to the bump, I can now react way too late to some comments from last year.

On jeudi 18 août 2022 at 2:21 AM, mrthejoshmon said:

Anyway back on topic, I am 100% percent aware every hope I have for a Q2 remaster is wishful thinking but I must say if it doesn't happen I will be a bitter man.

bitterman-foto.jpg

"I see what you did there."

On dimanche 21 août 2022 at 6:01 AM, RangerXT said:

I assume he means q2 vinyl and digital *soundtrack* release here. Wish he didn't lead everyone on about a game remaster but oh well, I look forward to getting the soundtrack regardless 

He's the guy who composed the music for Quake II, it's even his twitter handle "quakecomposer", and he's talking about a vinyl release. I'd like to see a modern game released on vinyl...

13 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

^This. Honestly, I will be on the cautious side and assume there is nothing in the near future. But if it does happen, then that's great.

Seems like the Korean Ratings Committee has yeeted the page, so if this is correct then id obviously want to keep it under wraps.

I am cautiously optimistic for Quakecon - Q2 has become my favourite of Quake's SP campaigns over the years. If true, then there are a few things I'm hoping for:

- The N64 campaign

- A new expansion a la DOTM

- Bots

- A curated mod menu

- Split screen multiplayer

These are all things that Q1R had, so I don't think I'm being too ambitious.

I did not know the PS1 port had new enemies! :o

I remember playing it a bit ages ago and and thinking it was more or less identical to the PC version.

37 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I did not know the PS1 port had new enemies! :o

I remember playing it a bit ages ago and and thinking it was more or less identical to the PC version.

It’s very much like the PC version for sure as far as levels go, though a few are from the N64 version. The new enemies are underused but are quite interesting and I feel would add to the enemy roster for the PC version to add to the difficulty. Plus, the Hard+ (Nightmare) mode that you had to access through the console (though source ports have added it already as a difficulty IIRC) would make the game even harder as a selectable difficulty since the enemies don’t flinch when taking damage and many of them are overall stronger on that mode. 

Something funny about Quake 2 is when you complete a unit, before the Quake 2 FMV-based intermission screen plays, the remains of what is supposed to be the Quake 1 intermission screen plays - but of course nothing is there so it's just an awkward pause. Even funnier is that in the N64 version when you complete a level (as it's a linear game compared to the PC version) you see the camera pan out from the player and I'm pretty sure that's their interpretation of it. I wonder if they'll keep that around.

Personally I don't see any PS1 content happening - that version was running on Hammerhead's own tech so a conversion is probably off the table. I'd love to see it though, the Guardian fight takes place in a whole new area and the Arachnids are like Gladiators, only worse.

The N64  content seems more likely, but right now these are all just words. Fingers crossed.