Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

2022ADO ... Released! (now on idgames)

I am playing this in Woof (latest dev snapshot) right now and I might have run into a problem.

In E3M3 "Essence of Blood", the eye switch next to the yellow skull key doesn't lower/raise the nearby lift to the key sufficiently. The platform is already lowered almost all the way by default and just lowers a few more centimeters until it reaches the ground floor, then goes up again to its original position, which isn't anywhere near the upper ledge to reach the key.

Is that a port-related issue or are others having similar issues? I am running this with -complevel 2.

Edited by NightFright

10 minutes ago, NightFright said:

I am playing this in Woof (latest dev snapshot) right now and I might have run into a problem.

In E3M3 "Essence of Blood", the eye switch next to the yellow skull key doesn't lower/raise the nearby lift to the key sufficiently. The platform is already lowered almost all the way by default and just lowers a few more centimeters until it reaches the ground floor, then goes up again to its original position, which isn't anywhere near the upper ledge to reach the key.

Is that a port-related issue or are others having similar issues? I am running this with -complevel 2.

There is an sw1blue switch outside which is needed to be pressed first to raise the lift to the level where the key is and then the eye switch can be used as intended.

False alert. This problem is happening because I set CL2, I thought this is just limit-removing, but it's Boom, i.e. CL9.

I had only consulted the readme, and it only mentions "limit-removing", which isn't necessarily Boom compatibility (even though it mentions PrBoom+ as recommended sourceport).

Edited by NightFright

16 hours ago, NightFright said:

False alert. This problem is happening because I set CL2, I thought this is just limit-removing, but it's Boom, i.e. CL9.

I had only consulted the readme, and it only mentions "limit-removing", which isn't necessarily Boom compatibility (even though it mentions PrBoom+ as recommended sourceport).

I tested this with CL9. Built in demos are Prboom-Plus 2.62 CL9. Compatibility is listed in the readme but (Pr)Boom or Zdoom is recommended. 

Edited by pcorf

Well, at least I found out what happens if you use the wrong complevel. XD Good news: it's kinda doable for the first two episodes, but your "in-comp-atible" journey ends with the beginning of ep.3. Someone had to try, right?

9 hours ago, NightFright said:

Well, at least I found out what happens if you use the wrong complevel. XD Good news: it's kinda doable for the first two episodes, but your "in-comp-atible" journey ends with the beginning of ep.3. Someone had to try, right?

If I worked on this solo it would have been limit removing. But Kristian prefers Boom.

Just now, pcorf said:

If I worked on this solo it would have been limit removing. But Kristian prefers Boom.

I just like the freedom it gives to choose your own parameters for various trigger functions. :) 

10 hours ago, NightFright said:

I remember running into a complevel issue when using Woof for my first playthrough during e2m3, with the platform that lowers the red skull key not going down; I thought I was missing something until I saw this post while looking for a solution. I wondered if I should have mentioned it but couldn't ever manage to even reproduce the effect.

I wasn't aware that choosing the wrong complevel can have such game-breaking consequences. A pity that Crispy Doom isn't an option like this. But well, that's where ports like Woof come in to save the day.

5 hours ago, Kristian Nebula said:

I just like the freedom it gives to choose your own parameters for various trigger functions. :) 

And because of this I made my E3, some E4 and all E5 maps Boom as well.

It works well now. Was a bit shocked to see a 440+ monsters level in mid ep.3, but without Archviles or Revenants, it wasn't as bad as I feared.

Is anybody else seeing lots of slimetrails with these levels? I especially noticed them in ep.3, e.g. with the red symbols on the floor in E3M8 (start area). Maybe it's a port-specific thing since I am using Woof, but...

16 minutes ago, NightFright said:

Is anybody else seeing lots of slimetrails with these levels? I especially noticed them in ep.3, e.g. with the red symbols on the floor in E3M8 (start area). Maybe it's a port-specific thing since I am using Woof, but...

Most of the very detailed maps especially in the later maps have the trails and there is nothing we could do about this. I tried my best to fix the major ones though. The trails were stated in the text file and readme files. If you use Gzdoom the trails are not there.

On 11/17/2022 at 9:42 AM, NightFright said:

It works well now. Was a bit shocked to see a 440+ monsters level in mid ep.3, but without Archviles or Revenants, it wasn't as bad as I feared.

Yes we do miss our beautiful revenants.

Alright, I guess that's where the limitations of software rendering show. Gotta pay some price for more detail, I guess. To some degree, it's part of the Doom nostalgia, actually. 

Great set so far but I've reached e2m3 and lost a bunch of time with the red key. I tried it again using complevel 9 and it worked well. I haven't seen that we have to use this flag anywhere in the readme files. Did I miss anything?

5 minutes ago, JBerg said:

Great set so far but I've reached e2m3 and lost a bunch of time with the red key. I tried it again using complevel 9 and it worked well. I haven't seen that we have to use this flag anywhere in the readme files. Did I miss anything?

The readme mentions:

> 2022 A Doom Odyssey is designed to run under a Boom Compatible Sourceport. Most maps will not run under Doom.exe due to its limits and features (like MIDI music and possible Visplane Overflows). To play 2022ado you'll need to download one of the following source ports.

I think you need boom feature for some of the maps

On 9/15/2022 at 3:18 AM, pcorf said:

2022ado is a Boom/MBF compatible megawad

The original post tells you that you require a srcport that is boom/mbf compatible. You might get away with vanilla for some of the maps but many of them do use boom features, like generalized floors and sectors. Even chocolate and crispy doom srcports aren't sufficient. Something like prboom+ or dsdadoom with complevel 9 or g/zdoom work fine though.

8 hours ago, pcorf said:

Most of the very detailed maps especially in the later maps have the trails and there is nothing we could do about this. I tried my best to fix the major ones though. The trails were stated in the text file and readme files. If you use Gzdoom the trails are not there.

I played this on GZDoom with software rendering and it looks and runs great. Zero slime trails. Would recommend that if you’re bothered by any of them. I do the same with SIGIL which also has a lot of slimetrails, as an example.

6 hours ago, Garlichead said:

The readme mentions:

> 2022 A Doom Odyssey is designed to run under a Boom Compatible Sourceport. Most maps will not run under Doom.exe due to its limits and features (like MIDI music and possible Visplane Overflows). To play 2022ado you'll need to download one of the following source ports.

I think you need boom feature for some of the maps

I'm running this on the latest prboom plus release.

It's probably my initial complevel 2 flag was messing with compatibility.

Looks like it's a pretty common mistake. To be honest, this is the first Doom 1 pwad requiring CL9 that I have ever encountered. Guess there are more, but this is the only one I know about right now. There can't be that many out there, though.

1 hour ago, JBerg said:

I'm running this on the latest prboom plus release.

It's probably my initial complevel 2 flag was messing with compatibility.

Btw I think the secret maps require a zdoom engine. You may want to use gzdoom of planning to play those

2 hours ago, Garlichead said:

Btw I think the secret maps require a zdoom engine. You may want to use gzdoom of planning to play those

The super secret maps will run in Prboom-Plus 2.62 as it supports UMAPINFO.

To reach them you must kill all Barons in E1M8, E2M9, E3M9, E4M9 and E5M9 and a very hard to find hidden exit will open somewhere. It does not count as a secret so in older Boom ports that does not support UMAPINFO you won't miss 100% secrets.

7 minutes ago, pcorf said:

The super secret maps will run in Prboom-Plus 2.62 as it supports UMAPINFO.

To reach them you must kill all Barons in E1M8, E2M9, E3M9, E4M9 and E5M9 and a very hard to find hidden exit will open somewhere. It does not count as a secret so in older Boom ports that does not support UMAPINFO you won't miss 100% secrets.

Great, I thought it used MapInfo which is only supported by zdoom. Thanks for the clarification.

Ha! When E5M9 kills are a requirement, that super secret exit can only be in one of the maps which follow after it, which aren't that many. Or wait, I might be thinking too linear maybe?

I didn't know you can have episode-spanning conditions to trigger a secret. How does that actually even work if you have to start a new episode from the menu once the previous one has been finished? In a continuous campaign like Doom 2 I understand that the game can remember what you did before, but in D1 you basically hit the reset button every 9 levels...

Edited by NightFright

21 minutes ago, NightFright said:

I didn't know you can have episode-spanning conditions to trigger a secret.

I didn’t either! How exactly do you code that??

1 hour ago, Captain Keen said:

I didn’t either! How exactly do you code that??

I think there may have been a fault in communication. The way he worded it, it seemed as though you needed to kill all those barons in every one of those levels in one full playthrough to reach the ExM10 maps. Those are just the maps from where you can get to those super secret maps. So for example, to get to E1M10, you need to kill all the barons in E1M8, and with the magic of tag 666, a sector will open somewhere else in the map to reveal the entrance to E1M10. To get to E2M10, you have to kill all the barons in E2M9. Vice versa goes for the rest of the M10 slots. Hope this clears up any confusion.

21 minutes ago, Revved said:

I think there may have been a fault in communication. The way he worded it, it seemed as though you needed to kill all those barons in every one of those levels in one full playthrough to reach the ExM10 maps. Those are just the maps from where you can get to those super secret maps. So for example, to get to E1M10, you need to kill all the barons in E1M8, and with the magic of tag 666, a sector will open somewhere else in the map to reveal the entrance to E1M10. To get to E2M10, you have to kill all the barons in E2M9. Vice versa goes for the rest of the M10 slots. Hope this clears up any confusion.

It does, thank you! I’ve played through parts of this wad multiple times because it’s just that great, but still haven’t seen all the super secret levels. Gotta do that now!