Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

2022ADO ... Released! (now on idgames)

3 hours ago, Captain Keen said:

I noticed E3M6 still has the issue with clipping items when you play on software/multicore. Not sure if that's fixable, but it's the only level I noticed it in.

I have no problems with E3M6 apart from small slimetrails. But due to the extreme detail in the map there are bound to be issues in certain sourceports which I don't play. I'm tired and burnt out and just glad to get this released. And looks like it also may have been accepted onto idgames too after I got the verification email today.

4 hours ago, pcorf said:

I have no problems with E3M6 apart from small slimetrails. But due to the extreme detail in the map there are bound to be issues in certain sourceports which I don't play. I'm tired and burnt out and just glad to get this released. And looks like it also may have been accepted onto idgames too after I got the verification email today.

Okay. I know a lot of people play with hardware rendering only, in which case it’s not an issue.

I actually reached out to the GZDoom people since it’s a visual bug that keeps cropping up in various wads and long story short fixing it would take some doing. “The only way to correctly fix this is make GZDoom calculate the right render radius of actors. Unfortunately there's nobody around that knows how to do this, so I'm afraid your only option is to turn off the sliced rendering.” (Aka multicore)

Thanks so much @pcorf and everyone involved!! I was watching and waiting for a final release. Wonderful stuff. Congratulations!

Clear my calendar! For I have a forthcoming appointment with this esteemed megawad, GZDoom, @perkristian's seminal sound wad, @Space Marinara's ScreemPals, the minor sprite edit project, some good old vanilla essence classic emulation and a nice cold beverage.

Onwards!!!!

kthxbai.

30 minutes ago, Kyka said:

Thanks so much @pcorf and everyone involved!! I was watching and waiting for a final release. Wonderful stuff. Congratulations!

Clear my calendar! For I have a forthcoming appointment with this esteemed megawad, GZDoom, @perkristian's seminal sound wad, @Space Marinara's ScreemPals, the minor sprite edit project, some good old vanilla essence classic emulation and a nice cold beverage.

Onwards!!!!

kthxbai.

Yes, enjoy. It is by no means perfect, there are various minor bugs due to limitations of the engine/ports. But what the heck, time to rip and tear and do this Doom adventure all over again.

I have also updated my webpage too.

Edited by pcorf

Thanks @pcorf Appreciated. I really love classic Doom1 megawads. In my humble opinion there are too few Ultimate Doom megawads, so great to have another to add to the list! :)

Great work Pcorf! I loved playing through the earlier builds and I'm super hyped for the final product. Can't wait to fire up PrBoom+ on Boom compat and blast through the megawad. As always the music is excellent too!

24 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Great work Pcorf! I loved playing through the earlier builds and I'm super hyped for the final product. Can't wait to fire up PrBoom+ on Boom compat and blast through the megawad. As always the music is excellent too!

Cheers for that.

Also big credit to @hawkwind for helping me fix some issues along the way. (like for example incorrect skill settings for the secret plasma rifle in E2M7).

E2M1 and E4M5 were incomplete rejects from 2002ado but I found them, tuned them up and got them completed and they turned out far better than what they would have 20 years ago in the days before Doom Builder.

On 10/31/2022 at 2:57 PM, Rudolph said:

For the time being, I have only this one thing to say:

"Al Dante"? L O L

But seriously, congratulations on the release!

There is a really nice description of what that means at https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Al Dante

"Al Dante; adj. The state of perfection to which one is cooked alive when in the deepest pit of hell. Ie: extremely angry; livid. A play on the culinary term "al dente" (cooked to perfection) and named for Italian writer Dante and his famous epic set in hell, The Inferno."

However, I came up with the name after seeing a meme with some charred penne pasta in the bottom of a kettle without any water left, glowing all fiery & black.

I've started a serious but leisurely play through of this ultra megawad - uvmax'es on all maps, including max kills/items/secrets. I've completed episode 1 so far and I'm now into episode 2 and the tech bases are now falling into decay as hell gets its evil grip on the world. I can't wait for the more challenging and epic maps in the last 3 episodes where some strategy and foreknowledge of traps is required. I'm loving the immersion and atmosphere of these maps. Beautiful to look at and fun to explore. Challenging secrets galore. I'd love to hear how others are enjoying this wad.

Was playing through a large chunk of this again. I think this is as good as No End in Sight and one of the best wads I’ve played. There’s *A LOT* of replayability here and the maps hold up exceptionally well. Eps 3-5 especially. Congrats again on the release!

I'm now into episode 3. I've varied the play paths on most maps where possible than when I was testing and I'm pleased with the results. I've just completed the epic E3M5 where you first pick up the bfg. I did the red key area first this time for an early bfg pickup. Awesome map. NEIS, 2022ADO and SSTRUGGLE are 3 of the best ultimate doom megawads I've played in recent times. I've got plenty of challenging maps to come, I'm at the halfway point (the easy half).

haha! episode4 starts with a Sonic2 theme (that dark oil map) but slow
I'm enjoying a lot the wad. Finished the 3 first episodes with no problems.

4 hours ago, tmorrow said:

I'm now into episode 3. I've varied the play paths on most maps where possible than when I was testing and I'm pleased with the results. I've just completed the epic E3M5 where you first pick up the bfg. I did the red key area first this time for an early bfg pickup. Awesome map. NEIS, 2022ADO and SSTRUGGLE are 3 of the best ultimate doom megawads I've played in recent times. I've got plenty of challenging maps to come, I'm at the halfway point (the easy half).

You reached hell's peak in E3M5 but don't be fooled by the lesser amounts of monsters you'll encounter. Glad you are enjoying it.

4 hours ago, Captain Keen said:

I think this is as good as No End in Sight.

I'm surprised you said that. We made this as good to our abilities, not all maps are perfect for example E2M2, E2M5, E4M2, E4M4, E5M2. I think NEiS is amazing though, it is hard to beat.

Congrats on the release and thank you for releasing this wonderful megawad. We are truly blessed to have people like you, Paul and Kristian, to be carrying the Doom torch for so many years.

Just finished it on UV, was a long journey to ride. A rare combination nowadays. The Ultimate Doom, mega megawad, solid levels. E1 & E2 step in mostly in standart way, E4 has old-school vibe. Personally liked E3 & E5 the most.

E4M7 - "Impious Alcazar". Location with many platforms and elevation changes. Remind a bit classic iwad level.

E3M5 - "Putrescent Dirge", branched labyrinth with the most enemies in the wad.

Super secret levels were fun to play, especially E5M10, if not count teleporing mastermind. E5M9 is interesting as well. Placed a bit more detailed review and full longplay here.

It took me a week but I'm delighted to have uvmax'ed all 50 maps now with 100% K/I/S or best possible in the case of E1M8 (up to 15 missing enemies depending on which exit you take). With 11758 monsters, 3001 items and 289 secrets there is a lot to hunt down and discover in this megawad.

The hardest maps for me were E3M5-6, E4M8, E5M2-3,7-9. These maps turn out to be among my favorites as well.

I see that DSDA now has some speed demos now for 2022ADO. Good to see!

4 hours ago, tmorrow said:

It took me a week but I'm delighted to have uvmax'ed all 50 maps now with 100% K/I/S or best possible in the case of E1M8 (up to 15 missing enemies depending on which exit you take). With 11758 monsters, 3001 items and 289 secrets there is a lot to hunt down and discover in this megawad.

The hardest maps for me were E3M5-6, E4M8, E5M2-3,7-9. These maps turn out to be among my favorites as well.

I see that DSDA now has some speed demos now for 2022ADO. Good to see!

Personally I think E2M7, E3M5 and E3M6 are the hardest. I wanted to make E5 the hardest. Also Episode 5 won't work on older source ports.

289 secrets, wow that is a lot but that does not surprise me. An average of just under 6 secrets per map. But I have always been a fan of secrets. When I first played Doom on the SNES I would spend hours wall humping for secrets.

I tried to vary the elements of Doom a lot more in this megawad as compared to earlier works, more crushing ceilings, more rooms going dark for spooky, intense and thrilling ambushes. I also wanted to limit backtracking and if you were required to backtrack a new area would open up. I also wanted to introduce more interconnection and exploration in the maps.

Personally I think this wad leaves Whispers of Satan for dead. WOS got a Cacoward but that came during a rather weak time in the community. We have seen some amazing stuff in 2022 so it is lotto luck when it comes to Cacoward contenders. I think there will be many mentions come December 10 and it will be a fascinating read for sure.

It's been a challenging year, lots of projects and also I have had Covid-19 twice (both mild infections), there have been struggles with inflation and much more. I am going to miss mapping full time (will sometimes make a map here and there) but now I have a family to raise, a young energetic son, and a music career, but it won't be stopping me from Dooming till my health reaches 0%.

Edited by pcorf

3 hours ago, pcorf said:

but it won't be stopping me from Dooming till my health reaches 0%.

that hit me for some reason, :p

I agree with you though, and thanks for all of your maps and tunes, you are as important to the game's health and community as anyone, or even the original developers. Appreciate all mappers/modders/musicians who have given me so many years of fun!

5 hours ago, pcorf said:

Personally I think this wad leaves Whispers of Satan for dead. WOS got a Cacoward but that came during a rather weak time in the community. We have seen some amazing stuff in 2022 so it is lotto luck when it comes to Cacoward contenders. I think there will be many mentions come December 10 and it will be a fascinating read for sure.

I only first played Whispers of Satan a few weeks ago because I wanted something like 2022ADO but for Doom 2, and I enjoyed it so much that I actually finished it. Even if it may not as refined as 2022ADO, it scratches the same itch for me and has a lot of similarities in style.

I don't know much about the Cacowards and don't usually give those things more than a skim, but I do think 2022ADO is absolutely spectacular and you guys should be very proud of making five episodes with nothing but bangers!

On 11/7/2022 at 2:13 PM, UnknDoomer said:

Just finished it on UV, was a long journey to ride. A rare combination nowadays. The Ultimate Doom, mega megawad, solid levels. E1 & E2 step in mostly in standart way, E4 has old-school vibe. Personally liked E3 & E5 the most.

E4M7 - "Impious Alcazar". Location with many platforms and elevation changes. Remind a bit classic iwad level.

E3M5 - "Putrescent Dirge", branched labyrinth with the most enemies in the wad.

Super secret levels were fun to play, especially E5M10, if not count teleporing mastermind. E5M9 is interesting as well. Placed a bit more detailed review and full longplay here.

Thanks! That was a fun watch. I really enjoyed to see a playthrough of E3. Btw. E3M10 looks a lot like my pet rabbit Dingo, who was still alive when Paul visited me in Finland in 2005. It died a ripe old age of almost 9 years old in 2007.

Only completed the first episode and already wished I hadn't started because now I know it's just three more episodes of this awesomeness before there is no more. Why does there always have to be an end?

1 hour ago, NightFright said:

Only completed the first episode and already wished I hadn't started because now I know it's just three more episodes of this awesomeness before there is no more. Why does there always have to be an end?

Hey good news, it’s FOUR more episodes of said awesomeness!

2 hours ago, NightFright said:

This is why it took me over a year to finish No End in Sight, played it in short bursts to keep the fun going longer.

41 minutes ago, Captain Keen said:

Yep four more if you use the latest source ports that support MAPINFO/UMAPINFO. Three more if you use the earliest (boom compatible) source ports.

4 hours ago, Captain Keen said:

And episode 5 follows the SIGIL theme. Instead of composing most of the original music for the episode I handpicked 8 Jimmy songs and E5M9 is a remix made by Jimmy, Impboy and mixed by me. All of the levels in Episode 5 contain a separate deathmatch area although a couple of the maps (E5M4, E5M7, E5M9) use previously released deathmatch maps by me as the DM area.

E5M9 is a remix of previously released maps from 2002ado, Simply Phobos and WOS with new areas added in to interconnect it. The DM area is a remix from 2001 a Deathmatch Odyssey and is connected via teleports (which close off in singleplayer mode) to the main level.

The story behind E5M10: A lot of mappers like to use the Duke Nukem 3D song Plasma in their maps (for example Sunder MAP18) and even though it is a good song I kinda get tired of the song in so many wads so I decided to make a map which is a tribute to Plasma. So almost the entire map is in a plasma state with fire textures throughout and the song Plasma playing in the background. There are also 666 monsters, 66 items and 6 secrets. I actually thought about making a map named Gut Wrencher but decided on Plasma instead (the better of the popular Duke3d songs).

Interestingly I only just realized that E1M5 turned out to have 2,222 linedefs. It was not intended, just turned out that way.

Edited by pcorf

6 hours ago, pcorf said:

Yep four more if you use the latest source ports that support MAPINFO/UMAPINFO. Three more if you use the earliest (boom compatible) source ports.

Geez, I cannot count any more, it seems. I am using Woof which even supports UMAPINFO, so I should have noticed it. 

Doom: 2022 A Doom Odyssey - UV First Playtrough - No Mic Commentary

I completed this wad yesterday. Really good classic stuff here. I got few levels 100%. Secrets were hard to find for me. I didn't find secret levels. Maybe I play this wad again if I have time. So many games today and so little time. Good thing is that there is a lot secrets. Levels are well made. There is some challenging battles too. In a right way challenging for casual player. Soundtrack is groovy and there is some good basslines. I have nothing bad or constructive to say. I guess my personal favorite levels are some levels in Episode 1. Good to see Ultimate Doom megawad. Good work here.