Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

PUSS XXII: The Chilling Winds of Dis [Compilation Released! - DECEMBER SPEEDMAPPING]

Just finished checking out the resource pack for this and I have to say it looks pretty awesome. I've shied away from speedmapping before now since I'm a chronic slowpoke, but I think I might like to give this one a shot. 6 hours to hammer out a rough beginning, middle and end does sound fairly reasonable. Doesn't appear like there's a limit for the number of submissions, either (whether it be per person or in total), unless I'm missing something. Sign me up.

After re-reading the rules, though, I do have a question regarding the 'no big areas' thing: Would I be correct in assuming the intention of that rule is mostly just to nix gigant-o, football-field-sized arenas? Like say for example, if on my hypothetical map, I wanted to have a somewhat larger room, especially one that acts as hub between multiple sections of the level, that would still be okay? And would it be even more okay if I used pillars/ledges/decos/etc to restrict the space further? I'm not saying that I have an idea, the success of which rides on the answer to this question, but it does seem like something I should know before starting.

1 hour ago, Blexor said:

After re-reading the rules, though, I do have a question regarding the 'no big areas' thing: Would I be correct in assuming the intention of that rule is mostly just to nix gigant-o, football-field-sized arenas? Like say for example, if on my hypothetical map, I wanted to have a somewhat larger room, especially one that acts as hub between multiple sections of the level, that would still be okay? And would it be even more okay if I used pillars/ledges/decos/etc to restrict the space further? I'm not saying that I have an idea, the success of which rides on the answer to this question, but it does seem like something I should know before starting.

Yeah! So larger areas are fine, especially if they help with the atmosphere of your level, but as you said: football field sized arenas are a no no. Again, when done right big rooms can work for the wad, but I’d prefer those big rooms aren’t used for “big epic fights.”

Sunder is a good example of a wad that uses large spaces that the player can’t sprint around. The monster placement fits those spaces well because… well the spaces are designed well. To prevent huge epic slaughter fest s though I’m restricting monster counts and room sizes so that things are on a smaller scale. 

I hope what I wrote makes sense, I’m in the back of a car waiting on a quesadilla at 1:30 am right now so my brain is stuck on the cheesy winds of dilla. But yeah! I’m fine with you doing a large hub room. Knock yourself out.  

@BluePineapple72 NoMo maps allowed?

Spoiler

I hope they are, it'd be a great way to be granted forgiveness for calling La Divina Commedia a 'fanfiction', and putting Dis as the very center of Hell - Dis is in fact the sixth circle, so barely hafway, and it's a fiery place, unlike Cocytus which is frozen and the actual center of Hell. You broke my italian heart ;-; 

EDIT: in the meantime...

Spoiler

image.png

Edited by Thelokk

9 hours ago, BluePineapple72 said:

Yeah! So larger areas are fine, especially if they help with the atmosphere of your level, but as you said: football field sized arenas are a no no. Again, when done right big rooms can work for the wad, but I’d prefer those big rooms aren’t used for “big epic fights.”

Sunder is a good example of a wad that uses large spaces that the player can’t sprint around. The monster placement fits those spaces well because… well the spaces are designed well. To prevent huge epic slaughter fest s though I’m restricting monster counts and room sizes so that things are on a smaller scale. 

I hope what I wrote makes sense, I’m in the back of a car waiting on a quesadilla at 1:30 am right now so my brain is stuck on the cheesy winds of dilla. But yeah! I’m fine with you doing a large hub room. Knock yourself out.  

Sounds good! I should have plenty enough time this weekend to get the 6 hours done.

Map Name:  Moonflower of Dis 
Author:  Thelokk 

Music: "Flowers on Deimos' by Thelokk 

Sky:  Muumi 

Format:  Boom 

Difficulty Settings:  Irrelevant

Build Time:  3hrs, decorating and speed MIDI included. 
Gimmicks: respack, staircases, going down etc

Comments: The map still adheres to the 'three hours' rule that was laid out at the beginning of the project. While I perfectly understand the logistics behind the change of pace, I am ambivalent about it: I feel it takes away a bit of the 'special place' PUSS, much like ASS, were when it came do Doom mapping. I'd hate to see this mapping series become yet another arduous climb to perfection. Allow me to be an old scrooge this time only.

The map has three endings: the 'good' one, the 'neutral one', the 'bad' one. It'll make more sense once played. Remember to load the respack! Tested on DSDA software mode. 

Spoiler

image.png

image.png

image.png

7 hours ago, Thelokk said:

@BluePineapple72 NoMo maps allowed?

Dis/Cocytus/fanfiction

NoMos are perfectly fine! As for Dis/Cocytus, I did a quick google and uh… you’re uh… right. Dis has a cool sounding name to it and does describe the “nether regions” of hell, so in my doom headcanon it all fits. 

Also, no slight towards Dante. I was just being cheeky with reference to my assuming that the Vatican did not recognize the Inferno as being part of the larger biblical canon. 

2 hours ago, Thelokk said: 'special place' PUSS, much like ASS, were when it came do Doom mapping. I'd hate to see this mapping series become yet another arduous climb to perfection. Allow me to be an old scrooge this time only.

Fret not! PUSS Speedmapping is going nowhere. A good bit of the events planned for 2023 have shorter time limits than what we regularly do to capture the speedmapping spirit better. 

This is as good a place as any to publicly mention my plans for PUSS though: personally speaking, although I love the Speedmapping business, I’ve found that more positive attention has been received to the events that we’ve spent a great deal of time crafting (moreso than our really quick make-a-map and forget about it events). My goal is to strike a balance between releasing high quality polished mapsets and running events that emphasize making those maps quickly.

It’s tough because I really would love to spend a good amount of time crafting megawads but at the same time I don’t want to alienate newer mappers and speed mapper experts from the experience that PUSS was built to provide. 

Nothing is in concrete form yet, but there have been talks about doing A-Team events which are the standard quick speed stuff and E-Team events, which would reflect something more like Hellevator or Skulltiverse. 

Mainly so I can release PUSS-A and PUSS-E wads. 

Either way, PUSS’ speed isn’t going anywhere, but we will be mixing up event scopes every now and then to reflect what we want for a particular set.  

@BluePineapple72 it's all good, I mean, from a visibility point of view your choices for PUSS make a lot of sense. Looking forward to the next projects.

Side note: what will be the status of the respack once this project is out? will it be available for use? asking for a friend who happens to share my name and mapping hobby. 

23 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

Side note: what will be the status of the respack once this project is out? will it be available for use? asking for a friend who happens to share my name and mapping hobby. 

I’ll likely be releasing it as a standalone wad, likely in a zip with the mapset included. Haven’t decided. 

There are still a good deal of monsters to finish, but the plan is to get both a mapset and res pack out by the end of the month. 

Map Name: We live and die in forgotten places

Author: Silhouette 03

Music: Deep forest- Stewboy

Sky: Custom sky from resource pack

Format: Boom

Difficulty settings: Yes.

Build time: 3 hours 11 minutes

Gimmicks: Resource pack used... I'm not sure what to put here.

Comments. There is only death and decay here....

Download

Spoiler

ScnuEM2.png

GjQzFsp.png

PS. Sorry for my terrible screenshots. I don't want to give too much of my map away.

Map name: Icebound Apparitions
Author : United VirusX

Music: Wrecked Ship music from Super Metroid (can provide a link to where I downloaded this specific version if needed)

Sky: DISSKY35 from the resource pack given

Format: Boom format

Difficulty Settings: UV as well as lower difficulties

Build Time: 6 hours (2 hours to make & playtest the map & 4 hours to decorate it) 

Comments: it's dark... cramped, and the cold isn't your friend

Screenshots:

Download

Spoiler

418073398_Screenshot2022-12-05025818.jpg.ece8ac13202fbcbc926ce471af650a96.jpg608753018_Screenshot2022-12-05025920.jpg.7c30957f7bec885d7b7b783efca36cf9.jpg2105117305_Screenshot2022-12-05030026.jpg.6d5da3265db76f915d64a708e1bdde15.jpg643033900_Screenshot2022-12-05033157.jpg.0c1ce6aa662335572eaadadfc2e9e2c5.jpg

Edited by United VirusX : forgot to put download link and added another photo

1 hour ago, BluePineapple72 said:

MAP01 - In Suffering is Death - BluePineapple72

MAP02 - TBD - @Peccatum Mihzamiz

MAP03 - In Nowhere's Corners, our Sins Have Festered - Lineman

MAP04Moonflowers of Dis - @Thelokk

MAP05Shivering Garden - @muumi

MAP06We Live and Die in Forgotten Places - @Silhouette 03

Hmm something broke pretty seriously in my map, or the saves and reloads messed up the actions sequence - the switch by the imp is meant to crush all monsters in the map.

Also my bd about the staircase, thought the one you started on counted.

EDIT: an RC2, adding the required staircase. I can't reproduce in any way the crusher happenings, so I guess it was the constant reloading that broke the continuity somehow. 

Edited by Thelokk

24 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

Hmm something broke pretty seriously in my map, or the saves and reloads messed up the actions sequence - the switch by the imp is meant to crush all monsters in the map.

Also my bd about the staircase, thought the one you started on counted.

All cool! I’ll give it another save less run to see if the switch works or not. And no worries about the staircase, I do these playthroughs to find what maps need. You can update as necessary based on that. 

One question: was the secret just a single health bonus or did I miss something?

1 minute ago, BluePineapple72 said:

All cool! I’ll give it another save less run to see if the switch works or not. And no worries about the staircase, I do these playthroughs to find what maps need. You can update as necessary based on that. 

One question: was the secret just a single health bonus or did I miss something?

Nope, that was all.

Good ending: the player crushes the enemies before they unleash, gets to the exit. Neutral ending: enemies unleashed, the player squeaks by to the exit but no max. Bad ending... hope you like your drinks with ice and rotten flesh. 

17 minutes ago, memeboi said:

Is there a deadline?

MAPS ARE DUE EITHER IN THIS THREAD OR ON MY DISCORD BY DECEMBER 26TH 2022 AT 11:59 PM EST.

@BluePineapple72 Thanks for the feedback. I'm really sorry about the red key pillar not lowering. I've since fixed that, and I'll fix the missing texture. I'll add some more ammo, though health seems fine, for the most part. I'm a bit unsure of how to distribute ammo, since I'm terrible with ammo distribution as I'm still a novice mapper. Any suggestions on how to handle ammo would be much appreciated. As for the ceiling, I could detail it as I still have 3 hours left on my mapping time. 

Have a good day, and thanks so much for hosting this project :D

Edited by Silhouette 03

Map Name: Forgotten Amethyst Cave

Author: Heich AKA Dynamite Kaitorn

Music: Candion - Jazz Jackrabbit

Sky: I just picked 2 purple skies from the resources (though both via sky transfer effect)

Format: BooM

Difficulty Settings: Yes - A few less enemies appear on easy and medium difficulties.

Build Time: roughly 3 hours, 10 minutes

Comments: After wandering around aimlessly, you find a staircase leading down to a freezing cold cave... Lit up by a blue-ish torch you look around, only to see more frozen, dead creatures whose lives have been suspended forever in agony...

Oh and say hello to Percy for me! :)

Screenshots:

Spoiler

woof0012.png.29f3914df6e11002635309f7b9a22c88.png

A bit of view of the spawn room.

woof0013.png.ade6f1610d777e82565cc8bf44e44536.png

Ooo! Outside! :o

woof0014.png.124b42b62ce36694cba1c3978ab0b60b.png

Shhh.. be vewy, vewy qwuiwt...

woof0015.png.9b7d2a9629117eb04e47a871c1cdf976.png

Hmmmmm.... *thonking*

Dynamite - PUSS 22 - V1.zip

Map Name: In Nowhere's Corners, Our Sins Have Festered
Author: Lineman

Music: Maraxus: Leave no man behind from Ratchet Deadlocked, sequenced by TinyDile and found on vgmusic.com

Sky: DISSKY38

Format: Boom

Difficulty Settings: UV-ish only

Build Time: 5:10 initial; 3:30 for visuals and polish

Comments: Descending into Dis for what seems like hours. Days? You find yourself wandering the corridors of... Where?

Screenshots:

Spoiler

image.png.4d5eaf9796ce9b7046243e01feae6760.pngimage.png.5fb58b511efccba34ec79e59d9505b77.pngimage.png.a171bfbed55b6d850a8e97e355da865a.pngimage.png.6da91cfbbd62942fde64fd3773f88c91.pngimage.png.e58fead4141f1955a54f9eb70ceeded3.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/297421089665974272/1049426377335636058/In_Nowheres_Corners_Our_Sins_Have_Festered.wad

IMG_4842.jpg
END OF WEEK 1!

Here is the  current maplist. THE SUBMISSION WINDOW WILL BE OPEN FOR JUST UDNER THREE WEEKS - WE’RE CLOSING THE 26th

An update to the resource pack will launch this weekend including some new textures and the finished cacodemon

Hmmm... I didn't think I had any ideas for this, but I might. The trick is figuring out how to make compelling gameplay out of just a spiral loop design. I'm not really sure I can. And I'm not subscribing to musescore just to download the midi of "Spiral of Erebos". I guess I'll see if I can make some kind of reasonable map.

EDIT: Nope, a very vague general layout isn't inspiring me. I will sit this one out after all.

Edited by Stabbey

I'm not sure if I want to contribute to this project because I'm rather new to mapping and still preeetty slow, but holy sh*t - these resources look so damn cool!

Will either changed my mind soon or wait for the resource pack after the project is done.

When will this be in it's full version? For some I REALLY want to play this mod!

Safe to say, I'm genuinely hyped for this!

1 hour ago, DELTA256 said:

When will this be in it's full version? For some I REALLY want to play this mod!

The goal is to have this ready by the end of December. For sure every level will be ready before the 30th. I can't say with certainty that every sprite will be replaced by then.

Spoiler

image.png

The Cyberdemon has ALOT of work left on it. Same for the Archvile. Hell knight needs work too. There are also three monsters that need sprite work done for them that I am not willing to commit to myself. Those being the Mancubus, The Spidermastermind, and the Arachnotron. Any sprite artist who is ready willing an able to help us with this would really help get this project out quicker. I simply don't have the time to make three new sprites in addition to the ones I'm working on AND the levels I want to make. Simply not feasible with my timeline.