Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anotak

DEFY THE OMPHALOS - /idgames release

Nice! Always up for some visually screwy, altered states Doom. Will report back once I get through the whole thing. 

watching and seeing this come together has been awesome. highly recommend everyone check this out!

Congrats on the release! Just finished playing it, and I absolutely loved all three maps. Definitely going into my favourites.

This mapset is absolutely bonkers I barely had any idea what I was doing the whole time. Great stuff, I'm sure the next two maps will throw me into even more colourful chaos :D

thanks for the comments

i just wanna say, i've seen several different people come away from this with the impression that this was primarily my vision, but seriously a lot of people contributed here, and i really again want to highlight AgentJR and Crash's work on their levels in particular

Very interesting, this is the most advanced "corrupted simulation" themed WAD I've seen so far. I had no idea GZdoom offered such functionality, icluding intermission screens and everything. The distortion effect when you die looks prety novel, too. I think you overdid the remote-scratch imps though, they are super deadly if they manage to hide behind some other tough monster.

Love the way this map progresses! The tower is really something to behold

As a fan of lilith.pk3, this is right up my alley. I love what you cooked up here. Love the glitched monsters, love the realistic-ish parts that bring splinters of comprehension here and there. Those pieces of sense only highlight the weird abstract fuckery, and even those touches of reality are warped and twisted far beyond what they once might've been. It's a painful crawl through a shattered mind on bad acid trip, used needles, and razor wire. All lovingly crafted, and it really shows. I'm a huge atmosphere slut, and this wad is positively drenched in an entirely unique blend of datamoshed mindfuckery. Got a feeling this will be one of my favourites this year already. Definitely a stand-out release.

44 minutes ago, thelamp said:

not sure what's up with the performance problems here, can i ask what hardware you have? also which renderer are you using

also there isn't really an intended order for the 4 maps

5 minutes ago, anotak said:

can i ask what hardware you have? also which renderer are you using

Vulkan Renderer

AMD FX-8320E Eight-Core Processor                 3.20 GHz

16.0 GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050

Windows 10 Home 64 bit

that's weird, i'm pretty sure that's a stronger or equal system in every way than one of the ones i tested it on

might have something to do with OBS running at the same time? I'm gonna try turning my bitrate down and see what happens for the next video

This is a really cool mapset! Knew from the title screen it would be my kind of thing. It doesn't overstay its welcome either, so everyone should check it out.

Thanks for making this. I'll be looking forward to more levels by the relatively unknown Agent JR and Crash (and of course you too Anotak, but I think these two stole the show this time around), particularly Crash as their level is one of my favorites from this year so far.

Why didn't anyone told me there was a sequel to lilith.pk3 several months ago!? 

Just finished a playthrough on UV. It was fantastic. The corrupted theme is really unique and gives a lot of really surprising encounters. Loved the glitched monsters, especially the shotgunner that send you flying into the air, it was hilarious. The maps were really well made, I really felt a sense of masterfully crafted chaos. The special FX when you die is just crazy, I love it. Thank you for this brilliant mapset, it is really a unique and fun experience.

I love this to pieces. Excellent work. I love everything about this - the distortions, the special effects, sounds, atmosphere; everything about this is just perfection. The glitched monsters were awesome. Lots of surprises and very creative. This is probably one of my all-time favorites. Simply amazing.

somehow i totally missed out on playing this. really fantastic set, enjoyed all of the maps a lot. the gimmick throughout crash's level is such a joy. the alternate enemies are great and got a solid laugh out of me every time while just being a joy to fight. there's a lot to love here. great use of lots of engine-specific features without being "zomg look features", it all comes together really organically.

Spoiler

the infinite range imp and shotgun baron get special mention. way too good.

On 8/22/2023 at 7:03 PM, natashanightmare said:

Is console the intended way to reach Girls night or is there a secret exit somewhere i haven't found in one of the other 3 maps? :)

there is another answer

sometimes in life, you have a choice or option, but nobody talks about it around you. lacking the ability to even be aware of it, it's as if you never had the choice in the first place. in these situations, you have to find a way to imagine another path than those you see in front of you.

Created an account to come here and say I loved this.

"Your film only looks as cheap as it sounds" - Buddy Giovinazzo

The sound in this was excellent. A real standout.

The way to access the secret fourth level was cute.