Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LadyMistDragon

For mappers: How do you keeep in mapping shape?

This is to say, what do you do when you're exhausted from some map that might either be from a solo project or extensive Community Project contributions so that you don't forget things in like a couple of months or maybe just 3-4, assuming it actually takes you that long to recover from burnout?

This question is interesting to me because it seems like it'd be beneficial to do something, even if it's just a lot of bland rooms with uninspired texturing, a lift or two, and several stairs. If one is a faster mapper or more experienced, I guess they could probably get more done. On the other hand, the people that like to take their time would probably be frustrated unless they thought of a way around it.

I guess I'm just interested in seeing a variety of perspectives on this subject. I know that RL will often get in the way as well but I've heard from enough people to know that's simply not always the case

Great thread!

As someone with ADHD, I rarely work on a map from start to finish, I usually get tired of it several times during its development. I have several different approaches depending on the "mood" I am in:

• Sometimes I do exactly what you mention: even if I don't feel like it, I just open the editor and start detailing existing areas or something like that. Ocassionally that leads to a stroke of inspiration that helps me continue developing the map.
  •  Sometimes when I've been stuck in a map for a while, I open it and start completing it by just drawing a random layout without thinking about it too much, some sort of "stream of consciousness" but in mapping lol. After the random layout is there, it's a lot of fun to adapt it and make it work within the existing context of the map. This has worked surprisingly well for me in some cases.
  • Having several simultaneous maps to work on is also very useful. It's not unusual for me to get inspiration for one map while working on a different one.
  • I normally do a lot of "passive map making": I just think a lot about my maps that are stuck on development while commuting, walking on the street, etc. Some very nice ideas have come to my mind by just thinking about them.

TBH, the hardest part for me is to cope with the anxiety, this feeling of HAVING to work on the wad during your free time no matter what, or else you're just wasting time. When that happens and really none of the above work, I just go and make progress on something else related to it, like the soundtrack or artwork. 

Like Jacek Bourne mentioned above, I find that I don’t get worse over a long break. There was a few years between 2014 and 2018 when I didn’t map at all and when I returned I found that what I made was better than anything I’d done before.

I suppose the only thing you might forget is some of the technical stuff like dehacked or scripting if you’re making for gzdoom etc.

I feel like during a project I need to progress fast because I easily lose focus. My head is always buzzing with other project ideas to explore. I give it everything for about 4 weeks, and then release. That's probably my optimal dev time. No breaks, no working on multiple projects at a time. Focus on one thing, and do it well. If I take a break, I probably won't come back to it. 

Once it's out there, I relax, make sure I rest well. i mull through all the previous project ideas, let them bounce around in my head space, choose one and start planning the new thing. 

I found that doing nothing, not even thinking about it, and being utterly unproductive for some periods of time between projects is vital. Because then I can make huge progress incredibly fast. Like half an hour vs whole day. 

Also, it's nice to have a few small, throw-away projects between every big one. Like little sketches, rough ideas. To explore and focus the mind. 

But most importantly - have fun. Not everything should be overcoming difficulties. Sometimes it's best to make a big boxy room, fill it with imps and rockets, and go to town. 

4 hours ago, Fernito said:

TBH, the hardest part for me is to cope with the anxiety, this feeling of HAVING to work on the wad during your free time no matter what, or else you're just wasting time. When that happens and really none of the above work, I just go and make progress on something else related to it, like the soundtrack or artwork. 

^^^

Agree with the posts before. Personally I just try a different style if I don't feel like working on a project. Guess that's why I have millions of unfinished projects in my hard drive. But hey, it's a hobby.

Your life doesn't depend on mapping. If you lack motivation or inspiration to do it then there will always be others who can. I feel that simply going through the motions doesn't produce anything I'm proud of or consider worthwhile, and it's definitely not fun to force myself to do it.

It may feel bad if you aren't putting work into it all the time, but in creative fields sometimes working hard at it doesn't result in anything. I feel burnout is more common than developing complete mastery to the point where you can push out incomparable quality on a whim. And I'd rather play something with a creative spark behind it that's a bit unpolished than a bland beige turd shat out by an accomplished mapper. The ones who become prolific usually have great ideas consistently over time and the skills come along with it. Overboard is a perfect example, Cyriak has both excellent mapping skills and execution as well as incredible concepts. He went 7 years without releasing a map and came out on top of his game when he felt like it again to win a cacoward. I'm not sure but it seems like a good chunk of that time was simply spent taking a break. I highly doubt he had to relearn how to map afterwards to any extent. 

There's no guarantee that your skills will diminish over time, nor that making some throwaway project will really keep the rust off. It's a fallacy since some endeavors will absolutely benefit from repetition in practice but I don't believe it applies to mapping. If you're a musician you absolutely do want to practice regularly for example, but a musician needs to perform a specific piece consistently without mistakes while mapmaking can be a process of iteration until it's done. You can fuck up 100 times making the same room until you get it right and it'll be perfectly fine while the musician more or less needs to get it right the first time and practice till they can't get it wrong. If you don't really have a goal for how you want that room to end up though, then how do you know when it's done? The real definition of success in mapping is executing your idea until you decide it's done to your satisfaction. That's a skill you can develop, but not in the absence of an idea or goal. 

IMO the mechanical skills and execution are completely secondary to the ideas behind making maps. With inspiration and a good idea giving you a tailwind, you will always find the tools to bring the project to completion. Skills without purpose behind them never made anything worthwhile, but lacking skills will force you to grow or become even more creative to get the job done.

I think the time spent making a derusting or practice map would be better used learning new techniques or studying the work of others for ideas. At least then you're growing your repertoire and understanding. Maybe experiment with a new style of mapping, but certainly don't just produce something the same as what you've already done. That's not going to raise your ceiling in any way.

From time to time I see a cool architectural piece and try to recreate it. Like a gazebo or something. Perhaps it develops into a map, and perhaps it does not.

I think taking a break from mapping for a while and coming back later is more likely to make you better, not worse. At least compared to trying to brute force your way through a mappers block.

It's important to take breaks to refresh your energy, but also it's good to play other wads or games because they can give you new ideas for your own projects. If I go for months only mapping and playtesting my own levels, I start to lose track of what makes a map fun for others, or otherwise fall into a comfortable routine where I don't improve. Going for a week or two only playing other wads really helps bring the motivation back up.

I tend to watch YouTube play-through videos that contain commentary. These give me a break from the editor but keeps the mind fresh of what makes a decent map for many. When I come back to mapping, there tends to be many ideas floating about after watch such videos! 

As others have stated, also taking the time to play through other custom maps yourself really does aid the creative process. 

Like Jacek says, do not map when you do not feel like it, first and foremost. Never force it.

One way to stay in mapping shape (or I guess become inspired and have more motivation/ideas) is to find some music that really resonates with you. In Nirvana's interview with Ribbiks, Ribbiks says he lets a music track inform his map, so the map derives from the vibe of a song I guess. Personally, I've totally felt this design strategy, I've listened so some amazing music and it often inspires me to map.

It's pretty spontaneous. Whenever my single brain cell hits one of the four corners like the DVD logo, I get an idea and map like three good looking rooms. Not very efficient but still better than to just force it out. Or to sum up in the great wise words of some guy I found:

"Mapping is like a fart, if you force it's probably shit."