Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 hours ago, Not Jabba said:
Spoiler

That's an interesting point about the credits file and especially Kevansevans. I did remember that he'd implied some connection to the map, but it seemed like it was a bit loose. As with many other cues we've seen, I guess you *could* come to the thread and pretend to ask a question about the blue key doors switching that implies you didn't pick up on a particular element of how the map was designed, it just seems like such a specific and random thing that you'd have to be kinda brilliant to fake that particular thing in that particular way. Again, not impossible.

Spoiler

Note that it is one of the earliest posts in the thread, long before the unwritten rule of spoilering everything came about, back when a vast majority of people looking at the thread thought it was just a normal MyHouse map.

I read it as a very gentle nudge for people who played the map but just exitted without seeing anything.

3 hours ago, Not Jabba said:
  Hide contents

...unless there is some new event that's planned to trigger at the point where we actually guess who they are.

Likely a stretch but the the drive was first posted on the Friday before Veddge's birthday (based on an old post and the obit) and most (all?) of the files were updated/edited the day after his birthday. Tom's birthday is June 14th, so I'm marking my calendar for "MyHouse 2: YourHouse.wad" to drop around then.

By the way, happy belated birthday Veddge. Sorry, was a bit distracted at the time.

38 minutes ago, princetontiger said:

The hidden contents is getting annoying.. why?!

Spoiler

I was just thinking that by now there's not much point in spoilering everything, but it's become a tradition in this thread so it will probably continue forever.

On 4/18/2023 at 5:08 PM, Peppinogaming358 said:

This mod was amazing but a lot of mods sadly do not work with it which is kind of unfortunate as I would love to run through this with brutal doom or something.

This is the Gorbino's Quest of wad combinations. 

22 minutes ago, ShallowB said:

This is the Gorbino's Quest of wad combinations. 

Okay, man. WTF did I just watched? I've never laughed so hard at a Doom mod before...

Cute map!

Spoiler

This has been amazing, clever, and fun all around, but this moment stuck out in particular: The dog seeming evil when you’re ‘small’ and becoming a normal dog when you’re ‘big’ reminded me of being terrified of our first housecat when I was a baby, and loving him dearly as I grew up. I was not expecting a Doom mod to remind me of and make me miss my first cat.

Spoiler

This thread has to be setting some kind of record for the number of spoiler tags in a single thread.

So @comradesean is still looking for the release version of the mod. Maybe somebody here can help him out? I thought i had it but had actually confused the modified date with the created date. I downloaded my version on the 16th March, and unfortunately deleted any earlier versions.

Spoiler

So, in order to find out when the first silent update happened, comradesean suggested opening up the pk3 as a zip to see the latest timestamp. I did so and found that it was the 12th of March. Jimmy updated the wiki on the 15th because of a silent update he had noticed in connection with the payphone trigger at the gas station. So i assume that this was the first silent update that happened.

One other thing i noticed was that the earliest modified date inside the archive was Juli 24. So anyone still clinging to the idea that Veddge did indeed start this mod only after receiving the floppy from Tom's parents after the funeral on August 7... well, that doesn't look to be possible.

Edited by Gregor

3 minutes ago, Gregor said:

So @comradesean is still looking for the release version of the mod. Maybe somebody here can help him out? I thought i had but unfortunately confused the modified date with the created date. I downloaded that version on the 16th March, and deleted any earlier versions.

Hide contents

So, in order to find out when the first silent update happened, comradesean suggested opening up the pk3 as a zip to see the latest timestamp. I did so and found that it was the 12th of March. Now, Jimmy updated the wiki on the 15th because of a silent update he had noticed in connection with the payphone trigger at the gas station. So i assume that this was the first silent update.

One other thing i noticed was that the earliest modified date inside the archive was Juli 24. So anyone still clinging to the idea that Veddge did indeed start this mod only after receiving the floppy from Tom's parents after the funeral on August 7... well, that most certainly doesn't seem to be possible anymore.

I downloaded on March 10th, after the drive link was updated to include the journal and other files, and the latest modified dates in my pk3 are a little over two hours before I downloaded it (march 10th 11:26 AM central time, 4:26 PM GMT) so there was at least one silent update before then.

Uhh, sorry to all of you internet detectives... The creator already took full credit for his work five years ago!!!

:P

10/10, I hope it gets a Cacoward because this experience is surreal. An outstanding tribute to Tom.

I heard about this wad recently through Vinny (Vinesauce)'s video on it (A fellow doom enjoyer) and after hearing the backstory behind this one I paused to experience the single map wad myself blind and I'm glad I did. I'm on a decent PC and even my

Spoiler

automap was abnormally struggling from the beginning

which gave hint to the adventure I was walking into.

I've been playing doom and keeping a tab on community wads since I were a kid over 20 years ago and this is the kind of awesome work I still stick check in for.

A masterclass map design experience oozing with high attention to detail and subtle behavior. Phenomenally well done with an outstanding use of modern mapping trickery too. I got a minor spook at one point and died noticing even more detail (And maybe a hint to bioshock infinite) as I went along. An outstanding tribute and experience which happens to be in the doom engine.

I loved the audio work and

Spoiler

cheeky discord notification

especially the later ambience I'd love to officially support the OST somehow. Also loved the custom messages in response to various cheat code toggles but also the undeniable 10/10 comedy if you try to

Spoiler

noclip around.

I snooped around a bit in Doom Builder:

Spoiler

I noticed that next to the FIREBLU skybox (sector 8178) that's used for the portal from infinite staircase back to the house, there's another similar smaller skybox sector (7834) that uses SP_FACE1 texture instead. Has anyone figured out if this is ever actually used and, if so, where?

Edited by null34286 : typo

4 hours ago, ipaqmaster said:

I loved the audio work and

Hide contents

cheeky discord notification

especially the later ambience I'd love to officially support the OST somehow.

well, the ambient track was posted on the composer's soundcloud, so it's free and there isnt really anything else to support as such, but if you'd like to support the composer in general https://esselfortium.bandcamp.com/music

1 hour ago, null34286 said:

Hide contents

I noticed that next to the FIREBLU skybox (sector 8178) that's used for the portal from infinite staircase back to the house, there's another similar smalller skybox sector (7834) that uses SP_FACE1 texture instead. Has anyone figured out if this is ever actually used and, if so, where?

Spoiler

My guess is it’s used to transport the player to different versions of the house from the FIREBLU room.  I can’t say for sure because this map does stuff way beyond my comprehension, but a similar trick is used when you jump out the plane; there are three identical skies you can fall into, each landing you in a different house.

3 hours ago, null34286 said:

Hide contents

I noticed that next to the FIREBLU skybox (sector 8178) that's used for the portal from infinite staircase back to the house, there's another similar smalller skybox sector (7834) that uses SP_FACE1 texture instead. Has anyone figured out if this is ever actually used and, if so, where?

Spoiler

Doesn't seem like it's actually used anywhere in the map, nothing in the map points to it, and it's not referenced anywhere in the map's ACS script. I'm guessing it was gonna be used as part of the infinite stairway, similar to what ShallowB said, but the mapper decided not to use it.

Just now, SirPootis said:

Hide contents

Doesn't seem like it's actually used anywhere in the map, nothing in the map points to it, and it's not referenced anywhere in the map's ACS script. I'm guessing it was gonna be used as part of the infinite stairway, similar to what ShallowB said, but the mapper decided not to use it.

Spoiler

The skybox thing tag 133 and the lower sector number makes me think it might've been the original skybox for the portal before it was replaced with the FIREBLU (tag 134).

Spoiler

Myhouse.wad made me feel like I am watching Twin Peaks in 1990 with all the research that has been going on in the thread. However, I hope that the story that served for the creation of the map is pure fiction and OP did not lose their friend.

Also, custom monsters turned out to be perfect touch that adds to the eerie feeling that is cultivated throughout the map. Having regular monsters would serve as an anchor of familiarity, which the author meticulously tries to eliminate. 

This map will be played and discussed for years, some thoughts in the 'Spoiler' section above.

Spoiler

This map remember me this:

Spoiler

But in a more "true liminal space" aspect.

Anyway… Thank you for this masterpiece.

At first I heard about it and didn't understood at all the hype around it, I started the WAD, was like "Well, let's see" to "There is some good detailing !" to "Wait why the place changed ?" to "... Ok ?" to "What the hell is going on !?".

The contrast, the distortion, the aesthetic choice, the item's names, the monsters, the sound-design, the music, the teleportation tricks, the fact that noclip get you to the backrooms, etc.

Everything is just ingeniously calculated to fool the unsuspecting player that I was.

This definitively gave me chills, I wasn't aware of that at all.

Though, I don't know If my computer is a potato, but I nearly ran the thing at 30/40 FPS.

Finally got around to playing this, and I'm just echoing everyone's sentiments here, but it really is a fine piece of work in many different ways, and hugely ambitious. Not that I think it's perfect though, there's a few things I think could have been done better/differently, such as:

Spoiler

The backrooms monster I think should've been something newly made just for this project, having it be another commonly found decorate monster was a bit disappointing. I think if it was something that looked photo-realistic, it would make the place even creepier due to the very distinct clash in art styles. Not only that, but it would also leave you feeling paranoid wondering if there's going to be other entities that are seemingly "out of place" in an otherwise doom-related world. Of course something along those lines could easily come off as a cheesy generic "creepy pasta" monster, but I feel like there'd be room to do it correctly.

Spoiler

The large gas station fight, as others have said, maybe felt like a bit of a missed opportunity for something a little more special to happen right before the ending. As soon as I saw the mastermind on top of the gas station, while also being surrounded by monsters in darkness, I was like nah I'm good and just ran, didn't even bother fighting them.

Aside from those things though I can't really think of other criticisms. As for the theories surrounding the author, I feel like the only two people I could see doing this is Xaser and Mouldy, but it's probably more likely a community member who has just been on the down low for a long time and decided to put out their magnum opus. Maybe their sense of humor could also be a tell though, any

Spoiler

pickle rick and shrek

fans in the house with staggering gzdoom knowledge?!?!

Nice little tribute to classic "I Re-Created My House In Doom" type of WADs.

Good to see that this kind of maps isn't disappeared in the time and people coming up with most powerful map format (UDMF).

Enemy placement is OK, but there was some points where I just grabbed last key and rush to the exit.

I think that after picking up blue key there may be some kind of ambush in the courtyard near final barrier before end.

If you can, you may try to recreate an entire city block of yours.

It can be interesting to see how detailed these maps can get with using of newest tech.

Spoiler

Myhouse was awesome. What an absolutely stellar experience, traveling through this terrifyingly familiar world. Loved how it drew inspiration from early creepypastas and House of Leaves.

A masterpiece of a map. Go in blind and experience it for yourself, you won't regret it.

6 hours ago, princetontiger said:

Bump

I don't think this thread exactly needs bumping at this point in time, lol

3 hours ago, esselfortium said:

I think you may have downloaded the wrong map.

watching someone load up the wad version instead of the pk3 and innocently running through it with some bootleg brutal doom mod is honestly so funny though

This is off topic and I apologize, but if anyone here has the ability to convince Bethesda to add this to the official "add-ons" list, that would be absolutely amazing and appreciated. I've never been so proud of someone I don't even know.

@RastaManGames

You're funny lol. 

"What a touching tribute to your dead friend.  Now watch me go John Wick on some motherfuckers in his house lol."