Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DankMetal

Rambling about a Doom 2 level that i love.

It's interesting how songs derived from Mars, the Bringer of War are a common theme throughout id Software games that Bobby Prince scored. Commander Keen 5's last level straight up uses that song, and both The Ultimate Challenge from Wolfenstein 3D (which was also in Doom 2) and Getting Too Tense are derived from it.

11 minutes ago, Plerb said:

It's interesting how songs derived from Mars, the Bringer of War are a common theme throughout id Software games that Bobby Prince scored. Commander Keen 5's last level straight up uses that song, and both The Ultimate Challenge from Wolfenstein 3D (which was also in Doom 2) and Getting Too Tense are derived from it.

Getting too Tense also features Bobby's signature motif. I wonder if that was an intentional choice as a nod to how often he was inspired by that song.

I have started to feel the same way about e1m5 recently, after replaying episode 1 a lot for Amalgoom. I also have a specific fondnes for doom2 map11. These are the two striking ones from the original games, and perhaps it's because of the specific action packed run-and-gun-and-get-behind-cover way these levels play. 

I won't say I love it but it's definitely iconic and has some strange personality. According to my last notes on another UV/PS run a few years ago, the beginning pissed me off haha. "Stupid beginning, just run to get invulnerbility and better items. Red door hunt."

Overall though, I'm actually a big fan of Sandy Peterson's weird maps (with the exception of The Citadel, hate that one). I think Sandy himself joked nobody would want new maps from him nowadays like Romero is cooking up... but dang, I'd be pretty excited to play some new maps from him myself... it's not really a style anyone else can replicate. Although Doom 2 The Way id Did is an excellent megawad in my book and captures the spirit of Doom 2 in general.

The Spirit world isn’t in my opinion Sandy’s best work, but it is fun to play and if you know how to route it. Then you can blaze through most of this with a bright white screen obliterating everything with the BFG. By todays standards Sandy could have been meaner but back then the map is just good fun and harks back to the aesthetics of some of Inferno’s maps.

PS thanks for writing this, it is always great to see someone put their passion so eloquently into words.

Shootable wall to open the final door, with no clue for it.

False walls hiding enemy nooks.

Five invulnerabilities.  

Two of the northernmost rooms are inessential.

Pits in the final room you can fall and get stuck in (in HNTR).

Nah, this level ain't Sandman's best. 

I love the texture choices in this map, and the main alcove with bright red walls are very iconic!

Oh right, Spirit World! Yah, I'm not too good at Doom so I get my butt kicked

very quickly in the higher level maps like this. Still, earlier this year I found this

level to be extremely useful when testing translucency of projectiles and

explosions in Zandronum (prob. any ZDoom-based but Zand is where I was living).

Notice from my pictures that the SourFace projectile launched (as a test) from the

arm cannons of Carcinobus have ended up with a different color than the their

resulting SourFace "monster". It seems certain portions of the Doom palette

interact/combine with the red-lava background to create this. I'd originally made

two different versions of the Carcinobus and each had their own color of fire. Upon

seeing this stage test, I scrapped the red fireballs I'd already made for the red

Carcinobus and instead made both green & red flavors of the Carc fire green

fireballs (when they're not releasing SourGrapes' alternate fire that is...)

Spoiler

spiritWorld1.png.8d8e852c25a46854c1ea11a5dc6b5108.pngspiritWorld2.png.b2d4fe742c7241e16c13607c0b8ca807.pngspiritWorldColorTest.png.979024d4e9e53375145be80e42d5a520.png

5 hours ago, Maximum Matt said:

Shootable wall to open the final door, with no clue for it.

False walls hiding enemy nooks.

Five invulnerabilities.  

Two of the northernmost rooms are inessential.

Pits in the final room you can fall and get stuck in (in HNTR).

Nah, this level ain't Sandman's best. 

I'm gonna freaking kill you.

Nah, but talking seriously, those weird gameplay descissions are what make this level otherworldly for me, like you don't belong here, i don't know how to explain it (but i don't excuse that softlock in HNTR, that's quite stupid).

But in that case, what is your favorite level made by Sandiego? I would love to hear your opinion.

Aesthetically and atmosphere wise, I agree. This map stands out and feels like it's deep in hell where no mortal entered alive, but now a threat is trespassing and invading their home once thought unreachable, just like what they're doing to Earth.

Lots of gimmicks. Some are dated and frustrating, but entertaining nonetheless. The layout is a bit confusing, but if you're familiar with the layout then it's good fun.

Personally I would have reduced the number of levels of Doom 2 or break it down into chapters. However this is one of those maps I would always keep as I consider it amongst the best of Doom 2. It's just so far in the game not as many people can appreciate it.