Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grungo

What is your favorite spefic detail/ room thingie in doom wads?

Grungo like barrack style rooms where there are individual rooms with beds and doomcute, and potentially goodies and secret doors and vents inside

always makes grungo excited

My favourite aesthetics of maps are wood-paneled libraries (e.g. Doom II MAP27) or bricked, hellish temple-like structures (e.g. Freedoom: Phase 2 MAP25), there's something about those I find strange but awesome.

I like having window views into mountain vistas, ocean horizons or anything that makes the map feel bigger than it really is in a panoramic sense.

I like walls. Big walls, small walls, tall walls, short walls, round walls, flat walls, I like them the way they come. What makes a wall immediately more appealing is when it is dressed up with a nice tiling texture. Though I have no issues with a bit of textured relief on the walls as well, that's nice too.

I usually do not enjoy windows, as they take up valuable space that more wall could occupy (and it confuses me when getting a nice glance of the wall's top side on the automap). In a similar manner I also do not care for doors, unless the explicit purpose of the door is to open up to reveal more walls. It is quite simple really.

midtexture hackery to make fake 3d things (e.g. bridges, support beams, grated floors)

Posted (edited)

I like when important items are put up on some kind of pedestal. Not even necessarily a really elaborate one, just something to make the item stand out a bit. Also very helpful if there's a lot of monsters whose corpses might obscure said item (I'm looking at you, Cacodemon)

Doomcute is definitely high on the tier list, especially when we're talking architecture (I do adore boxy sector cars, though). Aside from that I find environmental storytelling to be one of my favorite parts of any kind of level; if you give my a shotgun, I'm happy, but if I nab a shotgun off a dead marine in the middle of a bunch of demon corpses, I'm thrilled.

I like 16/32 tall textures being used as a fake 3D floor. The simplest example is using it to block a door, or make a cross tombstone in a cemetery

Liquid textures on ceiling, makes no sense, but looks so cool af. 

1 hour ago, Misty said:

I know, right?!

Spoiler

monstaCloset.png.844848dae892b2afb7574fb40c7c4d00.png

Strange Random clutter, such as UAC Crates randomly stacked in the center of an open room with the lighting bright over them slowly fading outwards into darkness. slightly creepy looking but satisfying.

Ceiling grates.  Especially when they have a cool pattern.  Lamps, candles, and other light sources with multi-sector flickering lights.

7 hours ago, Misty said:

I remember watching Cappellan play through (one of my favorites of his) Demonfear and remarking that he made Map02's ceiling the brown liquid texture so that it would look like a dark night sky. He said it works on low resolution CRTs but looks a but crap today. I can't help but disagree with him though, I love it!

I really love flickering sectors with ceiling lights. They just always look good to me