Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Compet-N: incoming and discussion, part 1 [please post in part 2 instead]

Eugene said:

Not sure that I found it myself. I believe I've read about this somewhere. If I recall correctly on the old Ledmeister's site. May be in –fast or uv old FD demopacks.

The demopaks don't mention it. Most likely you saw the discussion on r.g.c.d.help.

Eugene said:

I tried this one back in the times of recording of the ev15 max demo.

Did you succeed? I tried it in God Mode with idclip, no-clipping required to quickly clamber to the top of the tall pole with the Invisibility, so that the floaters come up to your level; otherwise they just stay down and there is no way to get them up there over the two sleeping monstars. I managed to wake up the Caco once; after about a half-hour I gave up.

Eugene said (about my 23-map max run of TNT):
I'd like to watch this demo.

Maybe I'll put it up on my page. I'm kind of reluctant to, I'd rather do it when the whole run is complete. Well, let's say that if I don't manage the complete max run by March, I'll post the closest attempt.

In the meantime, here is something to tide you over until then: the second-episode UV Max run of TNT! :D

edit: demo URL corrected: the Compet-N's /incoming won't accept uploads anymore, so I'm posting it on my own page.
edit2: demo name corrected and re-uploaded with updated TXT file - thanks, emailking! URL updated accordingly.
edit3: shortened the filename to observe the 8+3 DOS limit - thanks, myk! - re-uploaded again

Well, it's too bad that compet-n incoming doesn't accept new demos anymore. I think we really need to find a way to get compet-n back up an running, so if anyone has any ideas let me know. I just did a nightmare demo for requiem map15 to the secret exit, so I think that leaves just 4 left (plus map15 normal exit).

Never_Again said:

In the meantime, here is something to tide you over until then: the second-episode UV Max run of TNT! :D

Woo a late christmas present. :D
Thanks a lot for this, I hoped you'll do this as a part of your max attempts. :)

Happy new year everyone!

Good job, Never_Again! You got some big maps to max out, for sure.

By the way, from what I know COMPET-N's incoming directory has a maximum capacity, to eliminate abuse and spamming. I believe it got filled up, as has happened at least once in the past (where admins expanded it some more to accommodate more demos).

Never_Again said:

The demopaks don't mention it. Most likely you saw the discussion on r.g.c.d.help.

Seems Ledmeister found the bug.

Never_Again said:

Did you succeed?

I had no luck. I didn't try it hard though.

Never_Again said:

Great endurance! It was always a problem for me to play an episode without speeding up and messing up then.

Really nice job.

Indeed it is really tough to stay focused on the map(s) for over an hour and not forget to push for both time and completeness. You handled it and made it look easy, which of course, it is not. Well Done!

emailking said:
File is named wrong. The demo is 111 minutes 27 sec. Not 1 hr. 11 min 27 sec.

Yeah, although now the new name has another problem; it's not DOS compatible due to its length of 12 characters (9+3). I'd suggest 11127e11.zip (in lower case, for the Apache server's sake).

Thank you for the feedback, folks. The demo is quite slow by Compet-N standards and has its share of dumb moments (like missing the Blue Key and having to run across half the level again on Pharao). I've had much better-looking tries, more lively and flashy, but none of them were complete. Eugene nailed the problem:

Eugene said:
It was always a problem for me to play an episode without speeding up and messing up then.

emailking, thank you for catching the mistake. When the demo was recorded, I was running on about 20 hrs without sleep; that's how I interpreted 111:27 as 1hr 11min 27sec, heh. Re-uploaded with the filenames corrected and TXT file updated accordingly: 11127E11.

edit: myk, I considered the 8+3 DOS issue, but thought it was not an issue in 2008. How many of us run DOS? Better yet, how many actually read the WEB or FTP under DOS? =)
A week ago I moved DOOM from my main box - dual-boot Win2000/Win98 - to what used to be a video server and is now a dedicated DOOM box. I toyed with the idea of installing MS-DOS 6.3 from the original diskettes for the authentic feel, then remembered the 2GB partition limit in FAT16 and no USB mouse and decided not to.
But vanilla won't see a 9+3 LMP, so you have a point there. Re-uploaded yet again - thank you.

Never_Again said:
I considered the 8+3 DOS issue, but thought it was not an issue in 2008. How many of us run DOS?

Anachronisms and conveniences aside, consider that even the /idgames archive (which unlike COMPET-N accepts files that have nothing to do with DOS) still abides by the 8+3 limit, at least for the ZIPs.

But vanilla won't see a 9+3 LMP, so you have a point there.

If the OS does, it will. In Windows you can use the shortened name, such as (for 11127EV11.LMP):

doom2 -playdemo 11127e~1

I've been watching various long-named CFD demos in that way, without renaming them, just occasionally checking the corresponding short name with the dir command.

...without speeding up and messing up then.

Yeah, exactly this is my problem too. I always try to play as fast as I can which results in either death or a missed monster.

On a side note, I've grown to hate the first two maps. Map01 for wanting me to play tyson which I such horribly at and map02 for killing me more times than I care to count. Other than that I love the maps I played so far as practice.

xit-vono said:

I just did a nightmare demo for requiem map15 to the secret exit, so I think that leaves just 4 left (plus map15 normal exit).

Just watched your demo.

An excellent run. Good luck with the normal exit.

I'm glad you liked the demo. I've done the normal exit now, as well as a nightmare secrets demo. If you've seen the secret exit run these demos aren't really anything new. Next I would like to do a nightmare run for av20.

It is good to see you are still uploading demos, Xit. I have really enjoyed watching your runs over the years. Good luck with an20.

xit-vono said:
It should be a pretty entertaining demo.

Indeed. I really liked how NM's qualities played in there. You had to watch your back for respawns quite a lot while trying to eliminate the fast monsters before you.

I have a treat for you guys. I did a nightmare movie for TNT from map21 to the end of the game. I guess Never_Again's max movie inspired me to try this. Hope you enjoy it!

Oh wow, can't wait to see this. I love this year already and it's only january.

Hmm, unless Grazza can modify incoming we need to tell Doug. I'll do that just in case.

xit-vono said:
Hopefully Doug will post it here.

Did you mail it to him? (In that case I need not alert him).

Upload has been fixed and my, was it a treat! Another mind-blowing run from Xit Vono, done in such a casual way as to make it look like UV. The demo is not without nerve-wrecking moments, for all that. I almost jumped out of the chair when on Mount Pain he was steamrolling through that wall of Imps with the Invul inexorably fading away. Damn, this is going to make the 3rd episode max run I'm working on look like a bum picking cans in alleyways. :D I bow to the master!

The way you grabbed the Invisibility on Baron's Den was interesting, I hadn't thought of that before. Was it intentional?

The detailed notes are a big bonus, Xit; I love reading those. Thank you very much, you made my day.

edit: I'm sitting down to it again. Damn, this one will bear many replays!

Nope, that was not intentional. The first time that happened I was surprised and didn't know what to do next, but I decided to continue on as I usually do.