Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Deus Vult II: First Edition Released

hawkwind said:

Small error in MAPINFO ... map 13 states next level as map 15, but it should be map 19.

That is no error, the reason why I'll let you figure that one out on your own ;)

I'm going to delay upload to the Idgame Archive for at least another day, since entryway has a few surprises in store for DVII... and I gotta be at work and won't be back for another 36 hours, post more DVII issues as you see them and I'll be back on Sunday night...

Both demos for level 19 desynch at the start (at least in PrBoom+ v2.4.8.3.test).

Glad I haven't downloaded the latest update so I've watched these runs (and all the others).
Great job Belial and Anima Zero for these incredibles maxruns !
(how many time have you played these maps before these demos ?)

For me, far too many to count :P Especially on 19 and 21 with all the possible routes finding one that'd be somewhat optimized took a while. 13 and 23 were a bit easier to figure out, but still required a considerable amount of practice runs, on 13 to find a good route for the first part of the map and on 23 to get used to how the monsters flow through the central hub while I'm busy getting the keys. 02 was done in a day when I decided I needed a change from playing all the complex maps. 31 was done yesterday in an hour or so because I can't resist demoing a good slaughter map :)

All demos are recorded with prboom-plus 2481, but some levels contain big open areas which look buggy in all versions of prboom and prboom+ before the latest 2482 release. Anima wrote some angry comments about this bug, but it does not exist about half a year. Does it all happen because of wrong SWITCHES lump in the private beta? Next time if you have such problems you can ask me or someone else about reasons.

Doom Marine said:

That is no error, the reason why I'll let you figure that one out on your own ;)

Ah! I get it now. It's a secret between me and Doom Marine ;)

Just finished it yesterday. Wow.
In terms of level detail, you have really outdone yourself; a true showcase from what we saw in DV. Great themes, I thought the crouching tiger (MAP03) and the space station lightshow were impressive.
I think that your attempts at experimenting at different gameplay styles (like big groups, cramped areas, traps) was a success. I'm a big fan of the serious sam-style fights, so I'm glad you kept a lot of that from DV.
My favorite levels were probably MAP03, and the unholy sanctuary. A true sequel to DVI.

Updated DVII-1u. Map19's UV-Maxes from Anima and Belial are now synced (I tested this myself), note that the texture joints in Map19 no longer have those faint blue seams when viewed in PrBoom+, after I fixed them in DeepSea.

Any more issues I should know about before DVII gets submitted to Idgames Archive? I'm all ears...

doesn't really matter but map 19, near the switch trap that spawns imps/mancubuses, if using zdoom you can walk on the top of their heads out the gate

Forgot to say I finished these maps the other day!

They were, quite simply, delicious. I loved them.
Not only were they gorgeous to look at, your maps were ton of fun as well.

You Shall Not Pass on UV certainly took me a few false starts. (Including my first one where I stayed to fight the blokes at the start of the map. Whoops.)

The only problem I had, was on Map21 during the main carnage in the center of the map. I found at the tail end of the fight, that traveling behind the pipe organ to grab the ammo there, was certified death - the lost souls well above you, would cause you to become stuck in them vertically. I'm not sure if there's a way around this though.

Also, getting the red key on Map23... bloody hell!

Anyway. These maps are full of awesome. THE END.

If you do map20 on HNTR, things 62 (a revenant) and 444 (an imp) both appear at (512,10944), stuck together.

EDIT: this is in version 2008-02-22f so you might have fixed it already. I don't want to download another 75MB right now to check.

I'm still using the first released version only, but the beginning of map12, by the stairs, runs really slowly in ZDoom, but runs fine in PrBoom Plus. It's pretty weird.

RjY said:

If you do map20 on HNTR, things 62 (a revenant) and 444 (an imp) both appear at (512,10944), stuck together.

EDIT: this is in version 2008-02-22f so you might have fixed it already. I don't want to download another 75MB right now to check.

Thanks for pointing that out, it's now fixed in version 2008-02-25.

Any more corrections before it gets sent to the Idgames Archive?

Map29 needs some major texturing revamp, realigning the textures and changing the ones that seem out of place. Some of them are actually missing so there are a few HOMs as well.

I'm also getting some serious lag in the RL room when looking in the general direction of the YK door.

And since it's Boom specific I wouldn't mind seeing some more monster blocking lines in the map02 area that would stop archies from getting randomly knocked off from the rev and manc hilltops.

I've noticed monsters stuck together in two places, at the cyber telefraggers in map02 and at the tall ledge with the supercharge and cell packs in the cathedral.

Finally, once you get to the end of the map, you have to solve the case of the missing Romero head ;)

I thought about revamping many of map29's textures, but that's just too much work and too little benefit... It's not just the textures I want to change in the original DV, it's the level structure itself too... If I were to revamp map29's textures, I'll just bleed into making structural changes, and that would be far faster and better if I just recreated the first DV from scratch, but of course that's silly.

I can't find the HOMs that you've mentioned, maybe a couple of screenies or some more specific direction on where to look?

Fixed the stuck monsters, but refraining from updating...

This is port specific, so you may not wish to fix this.

With the unreleased upcoming version of Risen3D, on map 20, after walking on to sector 51, sector 321 is supposed to lower, but doesn't, and the map cannot be completed. I'm suspecting the cause to be thing 54 positioned directly on line 4640.

I have contacted Graham Jackson about this but as yet have had no reply.

The dying cyber textures are missing in map02 at the telefrag teleports. The one in map01 looks messed up. All the switch textures are completely wrong as well.

I still think going through the map at least once and fixing misaligned textures as well as replacing the ones that are now used randomly because they have the same name as the ones used in the original would be a good idea. Waterfalls made of FIREBLU1 are my personal favorite :P

hawkwind: I probably can't change that, since it would mean desyncing Anima's demo.

Belial: *some* textures fixed, FIREBLU1 had a certain charm to it, but it must go =p some switch textures have been fixed.

DVII-1u Updated.

ATTN: Map12 and Map22's music needs to be changed to prepare for the Idgames Archive, I am willing to take suggestions.

exp(x) said:
I don't see why you're so concerned about desynching demos at this point.

Because it took the players a lot of effort to make them. There's no need to spoil that work unnecessarily.

myk said:

Because it took the players a lot of effort to make them. There's no need to spoil that work unnecessarily.

Why are people recording demos of works in progress? Doesn't that stifle progress?

I'm going to play the bastard card here and say that the demos do NOT matter at this point if bugs and mapping issues need to be taken care of.

Csonicgo said:

Why are people recording demos of works in progress? Doesn't that stifle progress?

Read the NOTES section in the first post of this thread please.

Doom Marine said:

Read the NOTES section in the first post of this thread please.

I did, my question still stands.

Anyway,If there was a bug found that broke the level somehow that wasn't discovered until now, would it break the demos to fix it? by how delicate doom is with demos I can't believe that moving and aligning textures haven't caused a desync yet. Or is it only moving lines around? or things? would changing a line type cause a desync as well?

I hate doom when it comes to demos.

Csonicgo said:

I did, my question still stands.

Anyway,If there was a bug found that broke the level somehow that wasn't discovered until now, would it break the demos to fix it? by how delicate doom is with demos I can't believe that moving and aligning textures haven't caused a desync yet. Or is it only moving lines around? or things? would changing a line type cause a desync as well?

I hate doom when it comes to demos.

From my experience with changing the level while preserving the demo's sync, changing the level's textures (type and offset) and rebuilding the level with the EXACT same nodebuilder will not desync the demo, I don't have an explanation for this, perhaps entryway might be better at explaining this phenomena.

Note that changing item placement and level geometry will likely desync the demo.

Trying to upload my stuff to idgames archive... and been getting this message for all attempts:

"Response: 421 Sorry, there is already 1 user from 128.95.133.*** logged on. Try again in 10 minutes."

Where 128.95.133.*** is my actual ip address, which is weird considering that I only have FileZilla open and nothing else.

In any case, could one of you who is reading this do me a big favor by picking up DVII-1i.zip and DVII-1i.txt from my directory (http://students.washington.edu/hp1985/) and upload them to the Idgames Archive? (instructions on how to do it can be found here: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31922).

NOTE Ty turned off the auto-deleter for files over 50 MB for this occasion, so DVII-1i.zip at 76 megs won't get terminated once it's uploaded.

If anything, once you upload DVII-1i.zip and DVII-1i.txt to the Idgames Archive, reply to this post and let me know. Thanks!

Probably a bit late now, but here are a couple of minor "bugs" in map 19 ...

The front side of linedef 5733 has the texture MID_20AB instead of MID_20A3 - yellow instead of green.

and

sectors 2087 and 2086 scroll but probably weren't meant to.

I'll just leave the sector properties alone, since the UV-Max demo sync rule applies here... and as for miscolored linedef, good eye, but yeah, DVII-1i.zip and DVII-1i.txt are frozen and ready for upload to the Idgames Archive, please upload DVII-1i.zip and DVII-1i.txt for me, I can't do it for some strange reason...