Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom 4 should have...

That's more of a back story isn't it? Doom3 had a storyline.

I was a little diappointed with how short Doom3 was. I want a longer game, with more varied levels and environments instead of what was virtually one big level. I think the Hell level was amazing with the good graphics and much more enjoyable than the Mars base. It would be great if they put in more of the dark fortressy Satanic stuff in Doom4.

But most importantly I think they should make the DoomGuy a little more HUMAN. I'm used to games where I can get to know my protagonist a little(hint: The Thief series)but DoomGuy barely changes his expression the entire game, even when he sees really horrible/shocking stuff.
The only time we see a bit of emotion is when he sees Cyberdemon at the very end of the game. I would love to see a talking, emotion-feeling DoomGuy in Doom4. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love DoomGuy. He's totally my hero. but I would've liked to have heard his voice and known his thoughts on things. And half the time his silence makes him look really ignorant when NPCs are talking to him. It's like, geez DoomGuy, you just met someone who might be the only other survivor of a huge demon invasion, can you at least speak to him? /girly rant over

Also, more berserk packs please!
And, heavy metal soundtrack please!

Doom 3 was like 20+ hours which is more than 2x the length of modern FPS.

geo said:

Really! I finished it way too fast. I think it should've at least been as long as Quake 2.

Yeah, Doom³ is one of the longest FPS games out there. Quake 2 wasn't really that long, imo.

What is it with people wanting DOOM with a heavy metal soundtrack? When did DOOM ever have a heavy metal soundtrack? E3M8 is about the extent of it, and that was just for an intense fight segment (or, at least, it would've been intense if the Spider Mastermind wasn't a pushover).

And DOOMGuy isn't supposed to have a personality. He's a blank slate that you fill in.

Megamur said:

What is it with people wanting DOOM with a heavy metal soundtrack? When did DOOM ever have a heavy metal soundtrack? E3M8 is about the extent of it, and that was just for an intense fight segment (or, at least, it would've been intense if the Spider Mastermind wasn't a pushover).

And DOOMGuy isn't supposed to have a personality. He's a blank slate that you fill in.

Them bones- alice in chains MAP23 of DOOM2
This Love- pantera, multiple maps in DOOM2
Angry chair- alice in chains, multiple maps in DOOM2.

All considered or are heavy metal tracks.

Yep they robbed a few 90s metal songs for midis. I looked at a list lately and there's one song I've found that isn't on the list. Maybe the song came after the game.

Yep Doom Guy is a blank slate in the same way Mario is. Sure he's an Italian plumber, but DoomGuy is an Earth space marine.

yellowmadness54 said:

Them bones- alice in chains MAP23 of DOOM2
This Love- pantera, multiple maps in DOOM2
Angry chair- alice in chains, multiple maps in DOOM2.

All considered or are heavy metal tracks.

Wow, three whole songs. And both Them Bones and Angry Chair were altered into very non-metal tunes (Map23 and Map25, respectively) in the actual game.

I'm not saying that DOOM is totally devoid of metal music, but it's used very sparingly, whereas a lot of people seem to think the entirety of DOOM 4's soundtrack needs to be metal, which strikes me as unnecessary.

Megamur said:

Wow, three whole songs. And both Them Bones and Angry Chair were altered into very non-metal tunes (Map23 and Map25, respectively) in the actual game.

I'm not saying that DOOM is totally devoid of metal music, but it's used very sparingly, whereas a lot of people seem to think the entirety of DOOM 4's soundtrack needs to be metal, which strikes me as unnecessary.

I think there are quite a few more, those were off of the top of my head. I think doom4 should have a heavy metal soundtrack as hell, but not like guitar-action heavy guitar riffs and squeals like in CoD, but you know, something to get you pumped or scared or along those lines.

Dark ambience as well would be nice.

There's more than 3 songs.

Metallica, Slayer, Alice in Chains, Sound Garden, Pantera, AC/DC.

Doom 3 was a totally different game that brought out more fear less action. Doom was more action, less fear. Kind of like a shooting gallery.

Killing 100s of demons sounds better to Death Metal... where as ambient sounds build up to an encounter with an enemy or group of enemies... then the metal should play until they're dead :-) Like Oblivion and Morrowind have subtle music changes for battles.

Again, some songs may have been taken from those bands, but several of them were transformed into non-metal songs. Map18's music is also apparently based off a metal song. Does Map18 sound metal to you? And that level has a HUGE fight in it, with lots of action, but still features a rather moody song.

Again, if you want metal, play Serious Sam or Painkiller. Let DOOM be DOOM.

Megamur said:

That was a facepalm moment. Doom is chalk-full of Metal. I agree, ambience works for a lot of Doom, but Metal is fitting for killing hordes of demons.

PRIMEVAL said:

That was a facepalm moment. Doom is chalk-full of Metal. I agree, ambience works for a lot of Doom, but Metal is fitting for killing hordes of demons.

The term is "chock full." And I just don't enjoy the propagation of the stereotype that DOOM needs blaring metal music all the time, since DOOM was never like that. There are some harder songs in DOOM (though several I'd say are more rock than metal), and then there's plenty of songs that aren't rock/metal at all.

Would you consider the music for any of the first 6 levels of DOOM II to be "metal"? Map08 is blues music. Map18 is ambient and moody. I don't even know what style Map20 is. Map28 has kind of a militaristic sound. And Map30 is very ambient. Only Map07 and Map10, I would unequivocally consider "metal."

Megamur said:

The term is "chock full." And I just don't enjoy the propagation of the stereotype that DOOM needs blaring metal music all the time, since DOOM was never like that. There are some harder songs in DOOM (though several I'd say are more rock than metal), and then there's plenty of songs that aren't rock/metal at all.

Would you consider the music for any of the first 6 levels of DOOM II to be "metal"? Map08 is blues music. Map18 is ambient and moody. I don't even know what style Map20 is. Map28 has kind of a militaristic sound. And Map30 is very ambient. Only Map07 and Map10, I would unequivocally consider "metal."

lmfao "chalk-full"

anyways, its rather hard to get metal sounds out of MIDI, you'd figure. Ambience works, as well, but music will need to pay some roll. But at that same time, I do find it hard to fit metal into a game like doom4 at the right moments.

For those who don't know, Megadeth was making another song for a video game. I was hoping it would be for Doom 4, but I was extremely disappointed to find out that it ended up in some Konami game.

Chalk Full? Is that what my phone put? lol!

I never knew Map18 fits into the first 6 levels. But I was talking about Doom 1, not Doom 2. E1M1 is supposedly Metallica, E1M4 is Pantera, E1M6 is Believer and synthesized, E1M8 could be a Metal song, E1M9 sounds Metal to me, E2M1 is Metal (not today's standards, but Metal nonetheless), E2M3 is Metal, E2M9/E3M1 is Pantera, E3M2 is Metal (again, not today's standards), E3M3 is Slayer, E3M8 is S.O.D. That's 10 songs, and some are repeated. That's a good chunk of Metal styles.

Doom 2, Prince went all over the place. D_runnin was inspired by Metal, d_adrian and d_ampie is Alice in Chains, d_ddtblu could be Metal using the Blues scale (very common in old Rock tunes), d_dead is Black Sabbath, d_in_cit was inspired by Stone Temple Pilots, d_romero is Pantera, d_shawn is Slayer, and d_the_da wouldn't surprise me if a Metal band made a similar one. So about 10 songs could be Metal. That's still a good chunk of the soundtrack, but that soundtrack had a lot of styles in it, a good variety.

But the general feeling Doom gives a lot of people (including myself) is brutality and Metal. Nothing more Metal than punching someone and seeing them just explode into blood n guts. Sorry if you don't like that, but that's what Doom gives off. id wanted a Metal soundtrack in the first place but Prince was the professional and put what he saw fit.

Note that heavy metal music is not as good as in Doom 1. Pantera seriously sucks. I wouldn't want to hear generic heavy metal music throughout Doom 4 that would be all except music, just a few riffs repeated throughout the whole song, at loud volume, as if the players were hearing and musically impaired. You wouldn't get something like Iron Maiden out of this, but something much more generic, similar to the Pantera songs that inspired Prince to make the Doom soundtrack. I prefer FPS music to be more intelligent than RAWRAWRAWRAWRAWRWARWARAW, because I like to think that I'm not playing a mindless game, but rather a game with occasional puzzles to solve.

Megamur said:

More dark ambiance, please.

EDIT:-

geo said:

If you take your time looking for every secret, easter egg, reading every PDA and watching every video then maybe. Otherwise I'd say it's more like a 8-9 hour game tops (not that I've actually timed myself playing it from start to finish).

I think the 20 hours is your first time through, not every time afterward. Kind of like how you can beat Metroid in an hour, but your first time through it would take dayz. Plus pro reviewers say 20 hours and they probably heard it straight from iD

But I'm sure someone can beat it in less time. Like how the first time I played Final Fantasy 1, I beat it in 30 hours when its supposed to be a 99 hour game. Now I can beat it in less time.

Only movies have definitive play times :-)

printz said:

Note that heavy metal music is not as good as in Doom 1. Pantera seriously sucks. I wouldn't want to hear generic heavy metal music throughout Doom 4 that would be all except music, just a few riffs repeated throughout the whole song, at loud volume, as if the players were hearing and musically impaired. You wouldn't get something like Iron Maiden out of this, but something much more generic, similar to the Pantera songs that inspired Prince to make the Doom soundtrack. I prefer FPS music to be more intelligent than RAWRAWRAWRAWRAWRWARWARAW, because I like to think that I'm not playing a mindless game, but rather a game with occasional puzzles to solve.

Not as good as in Doom 1? Being a Metalhead, naturally I'll disagree X) Of course you can't have just pure Metal throughout a game, wouldn't be professional or fitting in all cases.

That's really all I want. Some metal would be fine. I'm just worried about having an entire game that's nothing but grinding guitars, which has never been how DOOM works.

I liked the fact that Quake 2 was CD enabled, so I could put my own music in. Dunno if PC D3 had that, but I would've liked some metal to go with my chainsawing in the Xbox version.

This isn't really related, but you know what I think would be cool? When Doom 4 gets unveiled at Quakecon (Or maybe even E3), John Carmack comes up on the stage, talks about boring stuff unrelated to gaming and then as he leaves the stage he points to the screen without looking at it and a big "4" appears...And the trailer starts.

Marnetmar said:

This isn't really related, but you know what I think would be cool? When Doom 4 gets unveiled at Quakecon (Or maybe even E3), John Carmack comes up on the stage, talks about boring stuff unrelated to gaming and then as he leaves the stage he points to the screen without looking at it and a big "4" appears...And the trailer starts.

YEah, he should talk about the economy. And then some other useless stuff.

I hope it takes place on earth, and is more DOOMy, or atleast more classic FPS gameplay, like FPS's from original xbox.

Like, ugh, DOOM 3, halo CE, etc. Rather than just the "sprint here and shoot loads of baddies!" kinda deal.

And more hellishness, more impaled skulls on sticks, more skeletons, all that stuff. And a good inventory of weapons as well (excluding sniper rofls and LMGs or other pointless army-man shooter guns)

I can't believe there's someone in here proudly asserting that metal isn't the implied musical style in DOOM's midis. What a joke. Go back to e1m1 and tell me that's not metal. The songs don't have to be based on a real-world metal band's song to be in the metal style, and that some of the posts in this thread suggest that is (as someone else said) such a "facepalm moment."

As far as the soundtrack goes, moody ambiance wasn't really part of the picture until the PSX release. The PC games had some slower tracks, sure, but most of them featured midi guitars playing the melody, and featured midi drumsets. Even if it's not "metal," it almost always is about keeping the energy moving forward (thinking e1m3 here, as an example of non-metal). Remember, we're talking about Bobby Prince here -- it's almost always going to be based on a 12-bar blues. He's not going to ever win any awards for his compositional prowess because he has next to none.

And as someone else has said, DOOM's emphasis on terror wasn't really there until D3. The first two games are far more about action than they are ambiance, the exceptions being the specialized console releases, which are a far cry to judge the character or intent of the whole series by.

That said, I loved DOOM 3 intensely and part of that is its approach to music. I also don't believe DOOM 4 should place an over-emphasis on metal. I just finished Splatterhouse on Xbox 360 and I found its non-stop, licensed metal soundtrack to be sometimes downright annoying. Metal is fantastic; I love and respect (and listen to some) metal. But pouring it on endlessly isn't good for any game.

All that having been said, unless DOOM 4 is all about tip-toeing your way through the dark like part 3 was (and considering the heavy criticism it got, I really doubt it will be), metal will likely be appropriate for some gameplay sections of the game.

ps -- "classic fps games...like original xbox games" and this gem "not sprinting to...kill lots" -- you do realize that your first qualifier eliminates DOOM, and your second one is exactly what DOOM is? Oh right, registration date '10. No offense. :)

Bobby Prince is probably more deserving to win an award than most award winning musicians these days.

Mogul said:

ps -- "classic fps games...like original xbox games" and this gem "not sprinting to...kill lots" -- you do realize that your first qualifier eliminates DOOM, and your second one is exactly what DOOM is? Oh right, registration date '10. No offense. :)

I call invalidation. You got the wrong idea of what I was saying.

By sprinting, I meant the Gun diagonally bobbing-then split second iron siting and killing tons of enemies. Hinting why I said the army0man shooter thing afterwards, CLEARLY refering to the gameplay of Call of Duty or similar.

The Xbox bit, meaning clearly playing out like games on the Xbox did. Not mega fast paced, action heavy, short campaigns heavily scripted down.