Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom 4 should have...

I always thought Doom took a lot of sidescroller traits like maneuverability as defense, finding secrets and items. A better analogy would be a first person Metroid.

I am not saying you should imagine the levels just like in those games but with demons and shotguns rather look at what those games do and have in common and translate them in first person.

Ah fair enough, thought you were joking so played along. No harm intended.

Shovel Knight is a great game. It's also a linear sidescroller with clear screen changes corresponding to distinct challenges, and generally it's derivative in a joyful manner, embracing its game-ish nature and running with it.

Fairly different from Doom in that regard, which tries to go for a, if not necessarily serious, at least atmospheric tone, cohesive environments, in a self-contained setting.

So that's where I was coming from. But it'd definitely be nice to see some emphasis on exploration, resource management and movement, no doubt.

Guest Unregistered account

Even though my idea of level editing returning was dubbed ridiculous, I still think it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that.

[EDIT]: Yes! I know! I'm DUMB!

[EDIT #2]: Hey, turns out I was right after all.

DooM_RO said:

I always thought Doom took a lot of sidescroller traits like maneuverability as defense, finding secrets and items. A better analogy would be a first person Metroid.

I am not saying you should imagine the levels just like in those games but with demons and shotguns rather look at what those games do and have in common and translate them in first person.

That's sort of like an analogy Cliffy B used for Gears of War. Platforming in Jazz Jackrabbit vs navigating cover in Gears.

I think a Mario 3 style map would work wonderfully in Doom 4. With keys that you can find in secrets that enable you to unlock secret levels that are short, fast, and rely on a certain gimmick (like Tricks and Traps or Barrels of Fun) After you finish them you are awarded with either a Soul Sphere, a weapon or Souls in E3 that you can use to upgrade weapons. It would also be cool to be able to use some keycards in previous levels to unlock new passageways.

http://youtu.be/OtG23tiQsf0?t=17m16s

The same thing can be said for Doom.

it should have some type of destruction, wall that can be destroyed

Guest Unregistered account
Doominator2 said:

Eh!? What are you rambling on about?

Basically, I suggested a while back that Doom 4 should have editing utilities as flexible as the originals', but someone said it was a terrible idea.

Then, I discovered that article about Doom and thought, without actually reading it, that it suggested level editing. I thought later on that I was wrong.

But then I re-read it and, voila, I was right.

uhbooh said:

Some of the scrapped weapons from the doom bible. (Dark claw, Unmaker)

Heh, the Unmaker wasn't exactly scrapped, Doom 64 has it.

Also what a bump

something I thought would be cool is if they added doomguy's face at the bottom like in the original. it's a small touch I think would please a lot of fans, even if it might look kinda cheesy. unless maybe the face is in a small window at the bottom right or left, like a video feed or something, and he'd react accordingly to scripted events, and if he dies from head damage his face explodes all over the visor.
...just a thought.

I hope in Doom 4 you are able to preform a barrel roll attack on your enemies, where you literally barrel your way through a crowd of lower tier monsters knocking zombies and imps to the side like bowling pins.

Beserker Final fight Haggar spinning attack with excess motion blur, gibs, and with more groaning effort noises than adult films. Includes random direction calculation check so you have no idea what direction you will be facing once attack finishes and lasts long enough to give you motion sickness.

Well then, 6 years ago I started this thread. Wow, a lot of people submitted their thoughts on what the 4th installment of Doom should be. And it looks like for the most part, the majority of us got what we wanted in Doom 2016 (I refuse to just call it Doom). I wonder, did id Software read this thread during development? We'll never know.

DASI-I said:

Well then, 6 years ago I started this thread. Wow, a lot of people submitted their thoughts on what the 4th installment of Doom should be. And it looks like for the most part, the majority of us got what we wanted in Doom 2016 (I refuse to just call it Doom). I wonder, did id Software read this thread during development? We'll never know.

Probably. :P

They did hit the nail on the head in terms of making it feel like Classic Doom.

There's still some room for improvement though. But hey, at least the new Doom kicks ass right? :D