Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Slaughterfest 3 [Beta_C released, 05/08/2017]

Hey AB, letting you know that it's still possible to break the YK room in Red Recluse. After I pressed all four switches (there were four right?) the bars were still too high to let me out, and moreover - it's possible to trigger action linedefs near the key pedestal again, so that the bars raise all the way to the ceiling with no way to lower them, as all the switches are S1. I'd suggest making those bars a door that closes when the player crosses a single action linedef somewhere along the way to the key pedestal, and gets opened with a voodoo sequence after all the switches are activated , sounds more reliable that way.

============================================================

Here's the retextured version of kraflab's With Fist In Hand. Never changed anything about original architecture or gameplay, couple of technical sectors and a bunch of removed torches aside.

Cartel said:

There was a song on this map on one of earlier versions that I really liked, do you recall the name of it?

Do you mean one of the earlier versions of the sf13 compiled wad? I don't think I included music when I posted the map, so maybe Ribbiks will know.

Demonologist said:

Hey AB, letting you know that it's still possible to break the YK room in Red Recluse. After I pressed all four switches (there were four right?) the bars were still too high to let me out, and moreover - it's possible to trigger action linedefs near the key pedestal again, so that the bars raise all the way to the ceiling with no way to lower them, as all the switches are S1. I'd suggest making those bars a door that closes when the player crosses a single action linedef somewhere along the way to the key pedestal, and gets opened with a voodoo sequence after all the switches are activated , sounds more reliable that way.

Ah damn that's what I needed to do. I'll try and get a fix out tonight, or if you want to have fun with voodoo dolls, do it.

Wow cool!
This one is actually notably more lenient than the majority of stuff you produce nowadays, the beginning can be easily turned into cheesefest, yet I don't really mind. Generally there's nothing I could complain about, I like it when maps give some freedom to improvisation, and nothing seemed to be overdone here (special thanks for the possibility to beat the pit fight without the bfg if the player happens to accidentally drop down in there without obtaining one). I eventually reached the final big onslaught (the one initially populated with some AVs and a cyb) and died there stupidly, though this is probably the only location where foreknowledge would help a lot. I even dragged a secret invul there but pretty much wasted it, as I had no idea what's going to happen there, should've released the hordes while it lasted, yeah. Well, next time I'll certainly know what to do with it. I imagine this fight is going to be quite hot without the green balloon though.
The lack of backpack surely affects things, cells get wasted in a blink of an eye. Not sure if it's a good thing, but not a dealbreaker, nevertheless. Forces to be more tactical?..
Pretty high probability of eating a stray rocket aimed at someone else (especially in a 4 cyb encounter), but eh, that's inevitable when rocket turrets play the key role in pretty much every encounter I presume. Liked the map, cool one.

So, does it mean that this whole thing can finally be put together and released?..

Demonologist said:

This one is actually notably more lenient than the majority of stuff you produce nowadays

yah. I was in the mood to make something big and spammy without being overly frustrating. I was aiming for mapslot 15 after all. glad to hear you liked it

Demonologist said:

The lack of backpack surely affects things, cells get wasted in a blink of an eye. Not sure if it's a good thing, but not a dealbreaker, nevertheless. Forces to be more tactical?..

very intended! The big fights are designed around going into them with 300 cells, which is pretty much the amount needed to survive initial chaos before grabbing more. Any more would trivialize them imo.

Demonologist said:

So, does it mean that this whole thing can finally be put together and released?..

here's hoping. here's my list of action items since the last beta:

- add retextured version of kraflab's map
- fix map25 texture bug (if I haven't already)
- add AB's edited version of chronoblast
----- has anyone else tested this or have thoughts on the edits?
- add my new map (in slot 15)
----- I'm still welcoming any feedback from other players
----- need to add difficulty settings, MP starts
- add new demonologist map
----- what map should it replace (a weaker daiyu map, maybe? It should be earlier in the set imo)
----- does it have difficulties, MP starts?
- is joe-ilya going to make the suggested edits to his map? If so, is there decent consensus that the map should be included?
- AB: I'm awaiting a fixed version of red recluse, as per your most recent post in the thread

Ribbiks said:

I was aiming for mapslot 15 after all

Wait, was there a secret exit as well?..
Fully beaten the map, yeah that was cool.

I think I've expressed all of my opinions regarding points of uncertainty, in case I should repeat them - I gladly will, but it's kinda sad that many other folks that were here initially prefer to be silent these days.

Oh yes, I'm yet to add difficulty settings for the latest crap, will do soon enough. MP starts are already there.

dannebubinga said:

cool :D gotta love when you die literally on top of a megasphere. Looked good though, you handled each fight well

noticed lots of alignment/texture stuffs to fix (in addition to the one you mentioned). also I'm probably gonna nerf the campability of those closets in the pit fight, that strat wasn't really intended.

dannebubinga said:

Couldn´t find the sexret exit, though I tried hard.

probably because I forgot to put one in -.-. that said, I should make sure our current m31 has one as well..

Ribbiks said:

- AB: I'm awaiting a fixed version of red recluse, as per your most recent post in the thread

It's been a month or two so I can't say what's been changed anymore, someone else needs to test it. And uh, woops forgot about those changes. Here you go. Made some edits to the yellow door fight, it's not really tested but I think it's doable. Might need to know the fight though.

Ribbiks said:

that said, I should make sure our current m31 has one as well..

...Or you could just replace a regular exit with it. Would be a double punishment for perseverance.

Gevurah v2

I liked Ribbiks' idea regarding YK setpiece trickery depending on the player having BFG or not, so I did a little something to represent it. Also threw some random crap into other encounters. I guess the map has become a tiny bit harder after that...

Lower difficulty settings are lazily implemented and equally lazily tested, everything seems to work fine, at the very least. Still, some feedback on those is appreciated, as essentially it's just stronger powerups/weaker individuals here and there, with monster count and vast majority of cannon fodder essentially staying the same.

a nice and relaxing map: https://www.mediafire.com/?b7utaqn6ggcc519

I'd say there's a bit too many cells on HMP imo, but that's not a huge deal.

I'm inclined to put this map into slot12, replacing payload. With mine in 15 that'd complete the list, though I wouldn't mind seeing 19 (metastasizing slaughterfest) replaced. And I kept saying I'd spruce up the visuals in 23 (poop) a bit...

Ribbiks said:

I'd say there's a bit too many cells on HMP imo, but that's not a huge deal.

Predictable when you play a map with foreknowledge and after beating it on higher difficulty level, haha. Still - thanks for the demo, I'm very glad to see that you didn't mind giving this one a second go.

Ribbiks said:

I'm inclined to put this map into slot12, replacing payload

I support the replacement, though is this slot appropriate for something "nice and relaxing"? I'd say the first ten (hell, maybe even the first five) is the perfect place for it, but it's merely a quasi-objective suggestion, as I'm the last human being to care about difficulty progression in random map compilations (yes, I didn't mind the order of maps in sf11).

As for ggg's maps - I personally stopped caring about their looks years ago, the only things that bug me in those are visual glitches in gl mode. I also have nothing reasonable to say against Metastasizing Slaughterfest. This whole project will never reach the quality of the previous installment (unless it is decided to delay the release for another 3-4 years), so having some okay-ish maps and crazy visuals is unavoidable I suppose. At the very least - there are no maps like Doomherolandia in here.

FDA for Gevurah v2. Not much to say because I loved it. :) It's simple and solid, seems like it has good potential for speeding through too.

Last fight is way harder than everything else (I didn't find any secrets, if there was something valuable in there). But it's possible to quickly rocket the door guarding the exit-bar switch to death, then clear out space with plasma, run around for a few seconds, then rush to the exit without even killing the viles/cybers/etc. That's the strategy I used because I suck too much to beat the fight normally. When you add difficulty settings, I'd suggest nerfing this one a lot more than anything else.

I didn't understand the purpose of the fodder mob after the first fight -- it doesn't seem like it can be threatening at all. The lone archy in the cubby behind them doesn't wake up when they do. The big caco-rev fight was enjoyable, but it devolved into mass infighting after 45 seconds or so. Maybe you can send a second smallish wave of high-threat monsters around the time it should start to thin out, just to add an additional peak to the encounter. The six-rev and two-rev-plus-one-archy groups guarding the RL and soulsphere respectively feel like they should be beefed up or something on UV.

cannonball said:

Blue shift

Hey Calhoun, you owe me a beer!

Lovely map, had a blast with it in general. Managed to find the secret encounters as well, the one behind the yellow door with HKs surrounding the player is pretty evil, though the reward was surely worth it.

I tend to agree with rdwpa in regards to the final fight, I dragged the invul there and negated its impact considerably, but objectively it's notably harder than the rest and is perfectly capable of tearing the player apart in seconds as it seems. I can't say that I really have anything against it so it's by no means a complaint, but as a piece of advice in case you'd like to keep it in line with other encounters - removing one of the cybers should do the trick.

...A bunch more stuff to report:
- the soulsphere to the immediate right from the start could be picked up with the help of mere sr40 from the nearby ledge, letting you know in case you didn't want for that to happen;
- the blocking bars in the secret plasma/megaarmor fight are awkwardly placed, so that the player can bypass them from both sides without lowering them.

cool map cb. though the texture set reminds me more of swtw than sl08-10 :p

no complaints that haven't already been mentioned. Though in my playthroughs I found it consistently attractive to bum rush to the big outdoor fight (rev/caco horde area) and camp the narrow hallways leading to it with the ssg, at least until the PEs/AV are taken out. it would be nice maybe if there was a secret RL somewhere along the route (to facilitate the rush-and-go tactics?), your call. the invul fight was ridiculously claustrophobic, but I liked it. The invul is indeed seemingly only useful for the last fight, which means that fight will be trivialized in uv-max play (granted, I did the exact same thing in the map I recently posted here :p), maybe it would make more sense if it unlocked additional resources within that fight? some spare soul spheres or a mega mayhaps?

anyways. cool map, I feel like it would fit well in the 1X mapslots, and I'm happy to have it replace some of the maps there.

Ribbiks said:

Belated response: putting the spectres that immediately block player's movement when he's trying to jump off the lift all while two AVs start targeting him in the open is a very bad idea, it's the guaranteed hit at the very least, and two hits mean restart obviously. Purely luck-dependant.
Honestly speaking I can't see why AB was so bugged by the original base part. Yes, it's easy, yes, it's not exactly inventive and mostly offers single direction to shoot, but I think it's a better build-up than, say, monster-free puzzle-solving of Sunlust map30 (no offence to Danne & Ribbiks). I'd say take the latest version posted by Archi and make sure that imps on pre-BK fight pedestals aren't stuck in each other. And that's basically it.

So, the current endeavours shown by map designers around here are aimed at replacing all of Daiyu's maps but Daiyu's Chamber I presume? Or has it already been decided to replace all of them?

Also Ribbiks, please consider implementing changes to ToD's maps from this post, not only do they come from the author himself, but they also remove a definite amount of (pretty obnoxious tbh) obscurity while having zero impact on gameplay.

Demonologist said:

I'd say take the latest version posted by Archi and make sure that imps on pre-BK fight pedestals aren't stuck in each other. And that's basically it.

I'll probably do this for the time being, until I have more time to think about it.

Demonologist said:

So, the current endeavours shown by map designers around here are aimed at replacing all of Daiyu's maps but Daiyu's Chamber I presume? Or has it already been decided to replace all of them?

That's my inclination at the moment. Unless I hear sufficient objections I might just make the executive decision on that one. I had another (small) map in progress I was thinking about contributing to this, but I'm not sure there are many remaining maps that deserved to be nixed (assuming the map I end up with is any good anyhow)

Demonologist said:

Also Ribbiks, please consider implementing changes to ToD's maps from this post, not only do they come from the author himself, but they also remove a definite amount of (pretty obnoxious tbh) obscurity while having zero impact on gameplay.

that's referring to the section where you have to jump "underwater" right? I'll see if I can make the suggested edits, sure.

Demonologist said:

Belated response: putting the spectres that immediately block player's movement when he's trying to jump off the lift all while two AVs start targeting him in the open is a very bad idea, it's the guaranteed hit at the very least, and two hits mean restart obviously. Purely luck-dependant.
Honestly speaking I can't see why AB was so bugged by the original base part. Yes, it's easy, yes, it's not exactly inventive and mostly offers single direction to shoot, but I think it's a better build-up than, say, monster-free puzzle-solving of Sunlust map30 (no offence to Danne & Ribbiks). I'd say take the latest version posted by Archi and make sure that imps on pre-BK fight pedestals aren't stuck in each other. And that's basically it.

Whether they stay in or not, I'm just glad this finally seems to be wrapping up. I think I just didn't like how small it started, felt more like a stand-alone map than a map30 to a slaughterfest.

Version 2

http://www.mediafire.com/download/kr3q5klma96jl26/bshiftv2.wad

Hopefully this should address the issues posted above.

- Monster composition changed in the second room.
- Extra achvile in the plasma gun secret.
- A secret added to the north west section of the map to fit Ribbik's suggestion.
- Invulnerability replaced with a megasphere, an extra secret added to the final area which links with this secret.
- A few extra monster changes here and there.

Oh yeah, if everything is fine in this version then difficulty and co-op settings will be added.

neat, thanks!

at a first glance I noticed the monster and item counts are the same across difficulties, I'm guessing the settings aren't implemented yet? make sure to include MP starts too if you haven't. will play through the changes once I get back home, extra AV in pg secret sounds pretty harsh :p

Ribbiks said:

extra AV in pg secret sounds pretty harsh :p

It actually is, I'd say that cb should revert this particular change. Others seemed more or less fine.

And yes, the secret soulsphere in the beginning is still obtainable via - drumroll - sr50. The suggestion would be making it higher, not farther, raise the waterfall and make a couple of stairs in the secret itself. Obviously, an AV jump would still bring the player there, but I guess it's not really worth it.