Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Slaughterfest 3 [Beta_C released, 05/08/2017]

Solarn said:

I uploaded the fixed version.

Cool! I'd probably put a couple more medikits in AV corridors (cool looking btw) just to back the player up a bit. Other than that - I have nothing to complain about at this point, nice stuff, and that final fight was a blast as I said earlier. The secret in noble area can GREATLY facilitate a major part of the map if found early, heh.

I'd say this map has become a bit too easy for E3 (not a bad thing at all, just mentioning), E2 would do better.

Hey, FDA for Iron Fortress v2, about ~30 minutes long, doesn't finish. I didn't play the previous version.

Personally I had fun, but there are concerns.

The map suffers from shooting gallery syndrome. As in, you move forward in a linear succession of corridors and rooms, and enemies come from one direction. This makes fights largely similar and repetitive. The courtyard was the most interesting room in my opinion, and all it took was having the manc/demons on one side and the cacos on another.

Other things you could do:
- open up alternate paths leading to the same place.
- have nooks and crannies, pillars, basically cover for both the player and the monsters.
- use multiple entry points so camping is less of an option.

There were some pretty steep stairs. This is a bit annoying in Boom because you slip on it. More importantly, most "fat" monsters (demons and up) are going to have a hard time climbing these. In The Great Battle Of A Million Doors I camped up and took down the teleporting demons with the SSG while they harmlessly paced back and forth.

The way you've set up the invisible force field around cyberdemons causes a HOM in GlBoom+. Looking at it in Doom Builder I see some oddity with sector 949 bleeding through linedefs 16669 and 16670.

The mancs in sector 1378 are at floor level the whole time, just unable to attack until the tiny sectors at center are up. Unless I'm mistaken, this should allow the player to kill them without retaliation if he shoots from behind the midtextures, before crossing linedef 5822.

I was low of ammo the whole time, and eventually ran out. No doubt due to my overly cheap tactics; but nonetheless I feel a backpack could have helped wasting less on pickups. If nothing else, it wouldn't hurt to have a berserk pack as a fallback option.

Given the ammo situation, it seemed odd to have such a large stack of rocket boxes in a secret, although admittedly it wasn't hard to find.

I didn't care for the spot with the three key switches. Due to the lift it's awkward to come back should you leave some monsters alive, and all the machinery around makes the room cramped to fight in. The switches are small and hard to press in a hurry.

Sorry if this seems a lot of criticism, just trying to look at it objectively. I enjoyed what I saw of the level.

Phml, thanks for the feedback and I'll take those points into consideration for future maps. Although, I'm not sure what you mean by FDA and the "battle of a million doors." I may go back and do some minor editing later on, maybe.

After playing through Iron Fortress, I did see a few problems that I want to fix. I'll post the updated version later on.

hello,

here is the latest version of my map for sf3. i need some playtesters, to give me feedback. also some pro players maybe. the map is pretty hard but NOT unfair, just hard. the first room requires some good tactic, but when you have that, it's not so hard anymore. the rest of the map is also hard, especially the last rooms but also this can be done guick and good with the right tactic. thanks!

https://www.sendspace.com/file/3coecc

djd

i forgot something. you need the cc4-tex wad to play it. it plays good on pr-boom plus but much better in zdoom. but it's ok, so or so.

djd

Hi Darkdave, I tried out your map and honestly I thought the first room was a bit too hard. I'm really don't know how you're supposed to get past all those arch-viles. Another thing I noticed was the last room with the exit. If you jump into that pit where the exit platform is, you won't be able to come out of it, assuming you haven't hit the switches to lower it. I know that you'll be stuck there in Boom since you can't jump so you'll have to no-clip your way out. Other than those two things, not a bad level. Hope that helps!

Hey guys im making a map for this, my first slaughter map too.

The map maybe will be posted on the 19th of March (again maybe, as it's only 5% complete)

I have bad news I tried to do a mapinfo and custom music and it didnt work on Prboom but on Zdoom it worked! What do I do?

for boom-compat you need to use the D_ prefixes for midi: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_II_music (you can get around this with musinfo nonsense but I'm not gonna get into that)

basically when you submit your map just have it in the 01 slot, have your midi named D_RUNNIN, give me a map name, and I'll make sure everything jives in the final release in proper boomy fashion, whatever slot it could end up in.

Ribbiks said:

for boom-compat you need to use the D_ prefixes for midi: http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_II_music (you can get around this with musinfo nonsense but I'm not gonna get into that)

basically when you submit your map just have it in the 01 slot, have your midi named D_RUNNIN, give me a map name, and I'll make sure everything jives in the final release in proper boomy fashion, whatever slot it could end up in.

The Music is alright Because I named it to LAB

and my map is called The Lab

Hey Ribbiks I sent u a PM I want you to see how my map is going, its 25% complete P.S if there is no health dont worry I just have to tweak it

hey,

so my map is updated. the first room is easier now, because of a good change with the powerups. and from the rounding in the last room, you can easily go out now because of some stairs. i need some playtesters again, to tell me if the first room is still too hard or not. when yes, i give away some archviles. if anyone could make a demo from a nice run, that would be very cool. thanks!

https://www.sendspace.com/file/yad13w

djd

I'm no slaughtermap player, but I was recording an fda for you, anyway. It was 3 minutes getting weapons, 5 seconds fighting, so I won't bother uploading. I think I could have a chance without those arch viles, though. I would say its still too hard, but you probably should also get an opinion from a better player then me.

Dododamian said:

Hey Ribbiks I sent u a PM I want you to see how my map is going, its 25% complete P.S if there is no health dont worry I just have to tweak it

I had a look at the map because I thought you wouldn't mind.

It wasn't really much to show. Mostly some square rooms with random monsters in them.

I think you should wait and send out a map until you have something solid for the playtester to actually play. :)

dannebubinga said:

I had a look at the map because I thought you wouldn't mind.

It wasn't really much to show. Mostly some square rooms with random monsters in them.

I think you should wait and send out a map until you have something solid for the playtester to actually play. :)

Agreed! Yea the detail is seriously the hard part here

got some feedback from the nice zdaemon folks on some MP-related bugs:

map01: [Resurrect Dead: GoS] - can not re-enter BK room (map locks if someone dies inside)

map04: [Desecration: Rayzik] - Some multi-player starts are erroneously placed in voodoo closets

map21: [Meet-a-bear: Danne] - can not re-enter RK room

map24: [Joyless: Danne] - can not re-enter the rev/cyb area

Cheers :D

hey,

so, here is the map with the much easier first room now. the difficulty is good now and don't must be changed once again. please some people should play it now and give me feedback and once again, it would be very cool if someone make an uv-max or another run from the map.

thanks!

https://www.sendspace.com/file/ca6vyy

djd

Amph said:

is this uncomplete right?

Indeed this isn't finished yet. There have been a few beta versions posted, but it seems there are still a few bugs to fix in some maps.

Is there a full list of the music credits somewhere?

Also, I made a Trailblazer compatibility patch here for those who want to run it with it. It should work just fine with it and the other Slaughterfest WADs tho.

Too bad it is already year 2015 and SF2013 is not done yet, I was looking forward another wad to play with russain overkill. are there any plans for SF4 and SF5?

Sokoro said:

are there any plans for SF4 and SF5?

It's probably better to get SF3 finished first before thinking any further beyond. The current project appears to have many maps nearly finished or finished, but I think some are still waiting for bug fixes, improvements, play testing or any combination of those. It's possibly worth messaging the people whose maps need fixing to actually get them into gear on it as it seems some people haven't checked in for a while to notice that a bug has been reported in their map.

The slowdown in part could also be attributed to the fact there's maybe only so many ways you can cram 1000 monsters and all weapons in to a map before it loses appeal. I for one would like to see the 2 enemies from Scythe 2 (Afrit and the Evil Marine, though the Evil Marine being slower like in Resurgence) being brought in (for SF4) as that would bring a different flavour to maps and allow new combinations of enemies and situations.

What frustrates me the most is that I'd love to make a map to help out, but I just haven't had time to get to grips with Doom Builder yet, let alone attempt to make a slaughtermap.

I do enjoy slaughtermaps a lot. Sure it's not intricate and delicate gameplay, but it's a lot of fun, especially in co-op! :D