Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

Crispy Doom 6.0 (Update: Mar 31, 2023)

8 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

I really don't like the sound of the truecolor renderer, though, I implore you to keep the original renderer intact, with the original palette blending behavior.

I second this, for what it's worth. Doom without a restricted palette & colormap doesn't feel like doom anymore. There's no warmth in the light or texture in the surfaces. It's just some 3d shapes with sprites in it.

In my opinion, anyway. :-)

On ‎13‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 5:35 AM, Woolie Wool said:

Confirmed: none of the Boom specials work in boomedit.wad. Oh well.

EDIT: The "angle" crosshair (really a chevron) has its offsets set incorrectly. With a chevron the point of impact should be at the apex of the chevron, so the graphic should be just below the center of the screen so the very top is dead center. The way it is set up now would induce a player using it to aim too low. Also Doom smallfont characters are too fat and eye-catching for this task, the crosshairs would be better off having their own, simpler sprites.

Other than that, it works very well as a nice, no frills "vanilla Doom with mouselook" sort of port. I really don't like the sound of the truecolor renderer, though, I implore you to keep the original renderer intact, with the original palette blending behavior.

Nope, Boom's extended and generalized linedefs are (currently?) not supported.

Thanks for the angle/chevron pointer (I didn't even know this word exists!). You are probably right and I should apply a vertical offset to it (that is, it was there in the first implementation but I got rid of it for the sake of simplicity). Also, I know that Doom's HUD font characters weren't designed for it, but I want to avoid depending on external resources at any cost.

On ‎13‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 2:34 PM, Grain of Salt said:

I second this, for what it's worth. Doom without a restricted palette & colormap doesn't feel like doom anymore. There's no warmth in the light or texture in the surfaces. It's just some 3d shapes with sprites in it.

Guys, I believe you are over-estimating the impact of the truecolor renderer. This is a comaprison screenshot I took a while ago and it will be possible to switch both modes in-game. The differences are really subtle, but the "Why does the pink monster become red, then orange, then brown and then gray with increasing diastance?" question does not arise anymore. ;)

crispy-hicol2.gif

1 hour ago, fabian said:

"Why does the pink monster become red, then orange, then brown and then gray with increasing diastance?"

That's exactly the kind of stuff I like, for the record :^)

4 hours ago, fabian said:

Nope, Boom's extended and generalized linedefs are (currently?) not supported.

Thanks for the angle/chevron pointer (I didn't even know this word exists!). You are probably right and I should apply a vertical offset to it (that is, it was there in the first implementation but I got rid of it for the sake of simplicity). Also, I know that Doom's HUD font characters weren't designed for it, but I want to avoid depending on external resources at any cost.

Guys, I believe you are over-estimating the impact of the truecolor renderer. This is a comaprison screenshot I took a while ago and it will be possible to switch both modes in-game. The differences are really subtle, but the "Why does the pink monster become red, then orange, then brown and then gray with increasing diastance?" question does not arise anymore. ;)

crispy-hicol2.gif

I like how going back to paletted makes Doomguy raise an eyebrow.

I actually like the color information for several reasons:

(a) Humans can't see color very well in the dark, so objects losing their color at a distance in dark environments feels pretty natural to me.

(b) The strict 256 color limit imposes an aesthetic unity and coherence onto otherwise very simple visuals, giving a sort of "painterly" aesthetic to a scene.

(c) The color limit also makes scenes look dirtier, grimier, and murkier, which fits Doom's mood (this also holds true for Quake, Quake in software mode has this filthy damp look that's just perfect for the game's setting and atmosphere).

(d) There are 30 billion enhanced Doom source ports but very few that give such enhancements while looking and feeling exactly like vanilla, which Crispy Doom does at 320x200 resolution. The little details, even things like the palette-based blends with the visible "steps" to them, give Crispy Doom (as well as vanilla and Chocolate Doom) something that my usual sourceport (formerly ZDoom, now software GZDoom) doesn't have.

Personally I'd much rather have Boom/MBF support than truecolor for a Chocolate Doom fork. I like being able to impose vanilla's aesthetic presentation on modern Boom-compatible levels.

13 hours ago, Woolie Wool said:

(d) There are 30 billion enhanced Doom source ports but very few that give such enhancements while looking and feeling exactly like vanilla, which Crispy Doom does at 320x200 resolution. The little details, even things like the palette-based blends with the visible "steps" to them, give Crispy Doom (as well as vanilla and Chocolate Doom) something that my usual sourceport (formerly ZDoom, now software GZDoom) doesn't have.

I'm in this boat. I prefer Crispy for the minor bump in resolution and the small tweaks that don't detract from Vanilla Doom's overall feel. The palette contributes to the feel quite a bit, those crushed shadows and "off" colors are a huge part of the experience in darker levels. The difference might be subtle, but it is noticeable.

At the very least, if you can give the true color renderer an option in the setup program or something, I'd prefer that over nothing.

I am sure I have stated this before, but I will happily repeat it here: It will be possible to still render the game with palette colors, there will be a switch in the menus. Actually, the comparison screen shots that I posted earlier were taken only a few seconds apart after changing that switch. What will change, though, will be the entire rendering behind the scenes - to an extend that palette effects (i. e. pain/berserk, pickup, radsuit) are applied a posteriori (which means that currently modified palettes apart from the base one do not apply) and that certain gamma ramps may look unfamiliar (though not in the palette mode). But, seriously, the changes are subtle, please give me a chance to release this and judge afterwards. ;)

Is it possible to add in two exclusive cheats from Doom95 to Crispy Doom ? No particular reason, other than "because it can be done".

From Doomwiki:

fhhall1 Kills all monsters in the level, excepting lost souls. (Pain elementals killed in this manner will still generate extra lost souls as normal).

fhshh2 Monsters do not notice players unless they are hurt or hear a shot.

HALL refers to Jason Hall, CEO of Monolith, who requested that particular cheat (hence the "BY REQUEST..." message that displays when the code is executed). The actual damage done to each monster is 10,000 hit points.

Upon typing the fhshh cheat the message "be vewy vewy quiet..." is displayed. This is a reference to Elmer Fudd's catchphrase "Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting wabbits!", in the beginning of a Looney Tunes or Merrie Melodies animated short. The message "Achoo!" appears when the cheat is disabled (the joke being you sneezed, and the monsters heard you).

There's also these two cheats:

Network cheat mode

Hold [Alt] and type "iddtiddtiddtiddt" in map mode.

Deathmatch cheat mode

Press T in the map to enter talk mode. Then, hold [Alt] and type "iddt" several times. This will reveal the entire map. Repeat the code to reveal all items. Repeating the code again will return the map to normal.

But they are not important.

Indeed, these two cheats achieve about the same. That is, they do even more: TNTEM kills all the enemies on a map, including Lost Souls, and also disables Cube Spitters and reports how many monsters it has killed. NOTARGET even disables monsters hearing you, so they are really only woken up by attacking them.

On 18.05.2017 at 1:35 AM, Woolie Wool said:

Humans can't see color very well in the dark, so objects losing their color at a distance in dark environments feels pretty natural to me.

Technically, colors will still lose saturation, but it'll be very subtle compared to the Doom's dreadful colormap.

Heretic, among other games, will most likely look less colorful in places due to this modification.

On 18.05.2017 at 1:35 AM, Woolie Wool said:

The little details, even things like the palette-based blends with the visible "steps" to them, give Crispy Doom (as well as vanilla and Chocolate Doom) something that my usual sourceport (formerly ZDoom, now software GZDoom) doesn't have.

But ZDoom has a relatively faithful renderer?

2 hours ago, bzzrak said:

TNTEM

NOTARGET

2 hours ago, fabian said:

Indeed, these two cheats achieve about the same. That is, they do even more: TNTEM kills all the enemies on a map, including Lost Souls, and also disables Cube Spitters and reports how many monsters it has killed. NOTARGET even disables monsters hearing you, so they are really only woken up by attacking them.

Both of you are right! My apologies, i only looked at the vanilla doom cheats, and completely forgot about those two new ones.

Edited by Doomer1999

On 2017-05-15 at 6:42 AM, fabian said:

crispy-hicol2.gif

Is the VGA emulation hack that reduces the color quality of Doom's 8-bit color to 6-bit precision for RGB values still in there? It sure has an impact on color quality.

17 hours ago, fabian said:

Nothing wrong with including the older ones too for posterity, though. :)

On 5/19/2017 at 10:16 AM, Da Werecat said:

But ZDoom has a relatively faithful renderer?

Its palette blending (radsuit, hit flashes, etc.) is completely different from vanilla Doom's.

@fabian, if you insist on not using any custom resources, a flat crosshair like PrBoom's ought to be simple enough that you could tell the game to draw the pixels directly onto the screen. Though I really don't understand why having a crispydoom.wad would be so objectionable.

On 20.5.2017 at 10:51 PM, Woolie Wool said:

Though I really don't understand why having a crispydoom.wad would be so objectionable.

I just want to avoid it at any cost, it's a personal preference. However, the crosshair patches from PrBoom+ will now be used instead if you load prboom-plus.wad as a PWAD.

Edit: Not sure I'll have to revert this. The lump names for the crosshair patches "cross1" to "cross3" may turn out a bit too generic.

Edited by fabian

How do I disable sky stretching? It's really annoying, especially since some wads have tall skies that don't even need stretching (BTSX, for one).

You need to have all modes of free vertical look and weapon recoil pitch disabled to disable sky stretching. Thanks for the pointer to tall skies, though, I will look into that!

Sky stretching should be toggled separately, like in ZDoom. There's no good reason to force something to be enabled by other options like that.

I'd like to keep the number of options exposed to the user as small as possible. Also, I think that vertical looking and sky stretching are so closely connected that it makes sense to make the latter implicit.

I had an idea then--why not borrow the software capped sky in recent versions of GZDoom and QZDoom? It looks much better than stretching the sky (it's basically GZDoom's OpenGL sky behavior replicated in software) and is fully compatible with the 8-bit renderer.

Another nice thing ZDoom has that would be good for both Crispy Doom and Chocolate Doom is an option in the setup program to select your midi device. Not everyone wants to use the terrible Windows built-in midi synth, and to use a different synthesizer in either of these ports in Windows 10 requires you to register to a forum on some back alley of the internet, download beta-quality software from a forum attachment, and use that to set your default MIDI device because Microsoft disabled the normal way of doing this after Windows 7. Really, every program that uses MIDI should allow you to set your MIDI device.

Edited by Woolie Wool

Woolie, are you talking about CoolSoft's MIDIMapper? I've found the tool itself is painless to use, and registering for a forum account is really only a minor inconvenience. Works great with hardware MIDI synths, it's nice being able to play Choco/Crispy Doom with a SC-55.

I was in this same boat a few years ago, lamenting Choco & its derivatives' inability to get past the default Windows MIDI Mapper without using external tools. I'm pretty sure (feel free to correct me!) the reason why ZDoom can do it so effortlessly is mostly because it's a gained feature through their implementation of FMOD. Making it happen natively in Crispy wouldn't be so simple, unless it just so happens that SDL2 makes it easier to handle alternate/external MIDI devices.

Edited by Lollie : Corrected! Didn't know GZDoom had removed FMOD

Update June 14, 2017: Crispy Doom 4.1 is released!

Crispy Doom is a friendly fork of Chocolate Doom that provides a higher display resolution, removes the static limits of the Doom engine and offers further optional visual, tactical and physical enhancements while remaining entirely config file, savegame, netplay and demo compatibile with the original.

Crispy Doom 4.1 has been released on June 14, 2017. It is based on Chocolate Doom 2.3.0.

This release adds some further polish to the engine both in terms of Vanilla bug fixing and Crispy-specific features.

Please visit the Crispy Doom homepage for more information:
https://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Crispy_Doom#History_of_changes

The Crispy Doom source code is available at GitHub:
https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom

Binaries for Windows (x86) are available here:
http://www.greffrath.com/~fabian/crispy-doom_4.1.zip
http://www.greffrath.com/~fabian/crispy-doom-music-pack_2.zip

Have a lot of fun!

- Fabian

I love this port! It's perfect for a project I've had going on since 1998 that aims for the feel of the original but uses a bit too many visplanes in some rooms for chocolate doom. Zdoom is nice but this just feels so much closer. Love the old map screen, especially!

One thing I've noticed that's a bit weird: when you use right-click as well as spacebar for the open/use key, the spacebar works way better- more reliably, and at a greater distance. Is this known/intended?

I wonder if it's related to another issue that I'm actually enjoying, because it brings me back to my high school doomcad days: When there is a walk-trigger linedef close to a switch, the switch trigger won't work unless you are standing past the walk-trigger line. In particular, if the walk-trigger line is 16 or less from the switch you can't hit the switch at all. I actually enjoy this last quirk because the workarounds it's forcing me to make make my wad feel that much more like the original in a nice subtle way, just wondering if it's related.

Anyway fantastic work, thanks for making this, I'm enjoying the crap out of it.

Edited by Ol' Scratch

That's how vanilla Doom works, the first linedef "eats" the action. Boom added a passthru flag to allow more than one linedefs to be activated at the same time. But depending on the distance the player may only activate one, so it isn't always reliable.

More reliable is to use a voodoo doll.

Ah, good to know. Like I said I kind of adore this feature of old doom ports. Do you understand the right-click vs key thing?

In the original game, double right click acted as use. So a single click shouldn't work, but if you spam it - it will, which might look like it's unreliable.

There might be a way to turn this behavior off and/or bind use to a single click. Chocolate Doom allowed it, IIRC.

15 hours ago, Ol' Scratch said:

I love this port! It's perfect for a project I've had going on since 1998 that aims for the feel of the original but uses a bit too many visplanes in some rooms for chocolate doom. Zdoom is nice but this just feels so much closer. Love the old map screen, especially!

Thank you very much for this nice feedback! To be honest, the automap colors aren't original anymore, but I am still glad you like it. ;)

15 hours ago, Ol' Scratch said:

One thing I've noticed that's a bit weird: when you use right-click as well as spacebar for the open/use key, the spacebar works way better- more reliably, and at a greater distance. Is this known/intended?

I hope that this difference you experience is purely subjective, because all "use" keys trigger the exact same code:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/blob/master/src/doom/g_game.c#L539

However, as @Da Werecat already mentioned, it is possible you have configured double-right-click as "use". Could you please try to assign single-right-click to "use" in crispy-doom-setup and report back?

Hi, the link in the op leads to the 4.0 release when clicked, although the text says 4.1.

Insert obligatory reminder that the old forum software was better.

Eidt: btw what's this DM 3.0 thing? What makes it better that 2.0?